RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Timeless Torch Tryouts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
auntie

PostPosted: 04/07/07 7:07 pm    ::: Timeless Torch Tryouts Reply Reply with quote

For the fun of it, I decided to try out for the Timeless Torches today despite the fact that I have never been in any kind of dance group. There were about 50 of us, all over 40 of various shapes, ages, sizes and ethnicities, including 3 men (two of whom were in the group of 12 last year.) Everyone was very friendly and the atmosphere was not very competitive.

We were told to be there at 2:30 for a 3:00 start. When I got there, they were just finishing trying out for the Little Torches group. Many of the little girls had glitter on their faces and lots of ribbons in their hair. I heard that there were about 200 kids for 2 open positions on the squad. Some of kids seemed disappointed. In other cases, I think it was the parents who were disappointed.

While we were waiting I talked to many of the other people auditioning. Most were Liberty fans. We talked about many of the subjects that we have been discussing the board in the past few days: Becky's trade, the draft of Shay Doron, the potential of Erin Thorn to back up Loree Moore and why the Liberty didn't draft Alison Bales.

Several of the women were in the group last year. They seem to have bonded quite well. I didn't realize that they were paid for rehearsals and for performances. Those who were able, also were paid for some special performances including on Fox 5. (This changes what I expect to see from them this year.)

We signed standard release forms. We were given a very brief introduction and were told that the Timeless Torches are a very important part of the Liberty entertainment this year. The group will perform at 4 games and will rehearse three hours every weekend. Those who make the squad would be given the schedule. There was no mention of pay.

We did a brief warm up and then we were taught a short routine which we did two at a time for a panel of three. We were told that attitude was very important. We were each given a number to pin to our clothes, but they made no effort to match names to numbers.

Unfortunately, I had a nose bleed (a very rare occurrence) toward the end of the time we were learning the steps.

Being the klutz that I am, I totally forgot the routine when my turn came and I did not do a very good job. So I was not chosen as one of the 18 finalists. From what I could see, most of the people who were on last year's squad made the cut. All three men made the cut. It seemed that women who were thin or professional dancers did not make the cut. It seemed to be an advantage to have large breasts and/or gray hair.

As far as I am concerned it was a fun and free way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

PostPosted: 04/07/07 7:10 pm    ::: Re: Timeless Torch Tryouts Reply Reply with quote

auntie wrote:
It seemed to be an advantage to have large breasts and/or gray hair.

Quote of the day.
Very Happy

peaceplease

PostPosted: 04/07/07 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well, good for you for going for it!
Very Happy

PEACE
sambista

PostPosted: 04/07/07 7:21 pm    ::: Re: Timeless Torch Tryouts Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
auntie wrote:

Quote of the day.
Very Happy

that is one helluva quote. good for you for going for it, auntie.

PostPosted: 04/07/07 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

auntie
very brave of you...thanks for sharing

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/07/07 10:22 pm    ::: Re: Timeless Torch Tryouts Reply Reply with quote

auntie wrote:

*resists the roadside accident urge to ask for photos*

auntie

PostPosted: 05/22/17 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really did miss my chance at stardom. https://www.nytimes.com/video/nyregion/100000005008895/timeless-torches-new-york-wnba-dancers.html

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: