RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Ringling Bros. Circus to Close

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/14/17 11:15 pm    ::: Ringling Bros. Circus to Close Reply Reply with quote

Interesting.

Kind of torn by this. Had so much fun at the circus as a kid, but in today's social climate, I'm sure that it's hard to keep it going.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2017/01/14/ringling-bros-circus-close-after-146-years/96606820/

scullyfu

PostPosted: 01/15/17 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

they had just named a woman as the Ringmaster, a first.

PostPosted: 01/15/17 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congratulations to the animals on their newly found freedom.

PostPosted: 01/17/17 2:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
they had just named a woman as the Ringmaster, a first.

How ironic that they finally have a female ringmaster, only that she will be out of that job by the summer! Rolling Eyes

https://www.google.com/amp/s/miamiherald.relaymedia.com/amp/latest-news/article126675844.html

PostPosted: 01/17/17 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I also enjoyed the circus as a child, but can totally see how it would be hard to keep it running these days. A business model that wasn't quite sustainable? Particularly as the large population centers (e.g. Seattle, NY) kept them from performing too close due to clauses about exotic animals.

I am happy for the animals. I think there was probably still a market for human performers, but perhaps the model will have to change (to something more like Cirque du Soleil or something.

PostPosted: 01/17/17 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's sad in a way, but the circus really felt like a relic of a bygone era. Not everything is meant to last forever.

PostPosted: 01/17/17 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Emmett Kelly, the Flying Wallendas, the daring young man on the flying trapeze (Leotard), Jumbo the elephant (who gave us the the ubiquitous word "jumbo"), Annie Oakley, the human cannonballs, General Tom Thumb -- none of these famous wonders and entertainers of yesteryear, among hundreds of others, can compete with CGI.

I wonder if this will destroy the FSU Flying Circus school.

Sad.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 01/17/17 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The final Circus Extreme performances are in Providence, Rhode Island in May. I'm seriously considering attending.
StevenHW

PostPosted: 01/29/17 1:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aren't there other circus companies around? If so, they might not be as well-known or established as the Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus, but they could get some of their performers and animals.

PostPosted: 05/22/17 12:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/05/21/nyregion/ringling-brothers-circus-takes-final-bow.html?_r=0&referer=https://www.google.com/

PostPosted: 05/22/17 12:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/05/21/nyregion/ringling-brothers-circus-takes-final-bow.html?_r=0&referer=https://www.google.com/

PostPosted: 05/22/17 5:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ringling at least didn't avoid the finality (They webcast the last performance and had a speech from Kenneth Feld before things got started.) And I watched parts of the performance on replay off their site. Very emotional...never liked Ringling (I thought the arena format was part of the problem to be honest. I preferred smaller one ring big top shows...which also have gone the way of the dodo...Big Apple closed its live performances (they kept their clown based charitable arm afloat thru bankruptcy and rumors of a return are swirling) after 2015 which I saw coming in 2014 when their performance was lets just say showing cracks and not up to the high standards of the shows I attended with my Dad Anually.

That said Ringling was the king and to see it go...and go so fast makes you wonder even for classier promotions like Cirque de Solei

Now should it go...I was always torn about the animals...seeing both sides. Elephants yeah no need for Bullhooks they should have and were retired.

But the others...need more evidence...especially horses which Sorry, see worse treatment of horses everyday in many other different locales than circuses.

As for ringling closing. I Do think the time had come, if the public told them to get rid of the elephants and then cratered attendance the moment they did, it was time to go especially with their over the top production values (which is why I was never fond of them)

Closing line of the evening tho...Ringmaster Johnathan Lee Iverson on getting a final standing ovation.

"WHAT? You LIKE the Circus? I thought you said the circus was antiquated!"

LOL going out on top no matter what.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: