15%  [ 5 ]
Sparks
84%
 84%  [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 33

tfan

PostPosted: 05/20/17 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
for the ring ceremony, were any of the Euros there(Wauters, Dabovic, etc.)?

Just Sandrine Gruda. They showed a picture of the others on the video screen and announced their name.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/20/17 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah horrible trade by NY that year. And especially annoying that Blaze misjudged that '09 team so brutally. At least CT got Jones, who looks like she has the physical tools to be a dominant player someday. Did Miller yield too much? Probably. But if Jones hits her ceiling I don't think CT will be too disappointed with the outcome.

PostPosted: 05/20/17 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Yeah horrible trade by NY that year. And especially annoying that Blaze misjudged that '09 team so brutally. At least CT got Jones, who looks like she has the physical tools to be a dominant player someday. Did Miller yield too much? Probably. But if Jones hits her ceiling I don't think CT will be too disappointed with the outcome.

The Sun also could've just drafted Jones instead of Banham (although maybe it's too early to know if Banham won't be any good or not); the Sparks have Gray, Sims, and Wiese to show for that trade with Connecticut, which is quite a bit. Mad

Last edited by SpaceJunkie on 05/20/17 9:56 am; edited 2 times in total
ClayK

PostPosted: 05/20/17 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Williams' issues may not have that much to do with skill.

Consider that in her career she shoots once every two minutes, and makes just 36.6% of those shots. For reference, Kristi Toliver shoots closer to once every three minutes, and makes 44.9% of her shots. Even Taurasi doesn't shoot as often as Williams, but she makes 43.6% of hers.

Granted, Williams can get shots, and obviously she had one night where she was making a lot of them -- but as I recall, it was a relatively meaningless late-season game, so I'm not sure how one great night translates into being a player who can help a team win a title.

PostPosted: 05/20/17 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
It's only the second weekend, but it definitely looks like the Sparks are the team to beat this season. Williams must be in Agler's dog house. We'll see if she plays in their next game.

Hopefully this is temporary because I would love to see her find her space and really get comfortable on a team. Also, Gray spent a good amount of time in the dog house last year but she was able to stay encouraged and was ready when her number was called. Hopefully Williams will too! Great point about the line-up and where the guard minutes were going, J-Spoon.

The big news is that Agler actually played and played and played a rookie! Razz Perhaps he is more prickly about youthful decision making than actual youth. Then again maybe it was about match ups and when the shot is falling, you feed the beast!

Awww Kristi! Crying or Very sad https://twitter.com/WNBA/status/865757995480694784

The emotion she displayed reminded me of when she talked about how much she cried when she left the Sparks during the season to go play for Slovakia. It hurt to loose her (I admit that I was on the toss her ring bandwagon for a second! Laughing) I mean because after everything they had gone through as a team...how they stuck together as a squad...how she even got to LA...her celebratory tackle of CP! She was the longest tenured Spark after CP. What do you mean you are leaving?!!! I mean, come onnn! Then I realized how much I sounded like the folks who are still are hazing Lebron for his decision... You definitely have to do what you have to do and while we love watching them entertain us, it is a job and I know it is not an easy one (away from your friends and family for the majority of your professional life, etc.) they have to do what is best for them.

So I wish her well, just not when she's playing the Sparks Razz Laughing

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 05/20/17 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Why did Penny Toler miss the ring ceremony?

on the youtube vid, it showed her there...

another note... why on earth was lisa borders hollerin' in that mic? you gotta mic lady... Laughing

hangtyme24

PostPosted: 05/20/17 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope Sims is ok and her injury last night was nothing too serious. Ive been searching through social media to see if anything has been posted but nothing. I wished the W kept us more updated about injuries and such. I guess I'll just wait and see.

PostPosted: 05/20/17 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Are we sure Riquna wasn't also somehow injured/not available? I know she was on the bench but who knows what was going on? It could have been the doghouse but you would have thought she would at least get a few minutes. It wasn't like Syd was all that effective in the second half.

- Amanda Gorman
Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 05/20/17 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Libra_Girl wrote:
Like Curt Miller was by giving them Gray. LA are a bunch of evil genius and I love it. But when you trade the draft pick that became Tina Charles for Noelle Quin something good has to come your way.

Still better than trading the draft pick that became Tina Charles for Sidney Spencer. At least Noelle Quinn's still in the league. (Me? Still salty? Nawwwwwwwww.)
lmao But NY did end up with Charles anyway.

willtalk

PostPosted: 05/20/17 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A low percentage completion high volume shooter like Williams, does not fit on a team like LA. They have to many offensive options to need a player who's strength is getting their own low percentage shot. A player like that " when they are hot " can light it up. But they can also shoot you out of games when their shots are not dropping. On a team like LA they actually are a detriment.

I am sure the coach was just hanging on to her as insurance in case a replacement for Kristi didn't materialize. She could also have trade value and that is probably what they will do with her. No sense putting her in the rotation if they don't have her in their long term plans.

willtalk

PostPosted: 05/20/17 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
toad455 wrote:
It's only the second weekend, but it definitely looks like the Sparks are the team to beat this season. Williams must be in Agler's dog house. We'll see if she plays in their next game.

Hopefully this is temporary because I would love to see her find her space and really get comfortable on a team. Also, Gray spent a good amount of time in the dog house last year but she was able to stay encouraged and was ready when her number was called. Hopefully Williams will too! Great point about the line-up and where the guard minutes were going, J-Spoon.-------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Razz Laughing

There is a distinct difference between Aglers actions in respect to Gray last season and Williams not playing this season. With Gray it was a teaching moment. I really believe the "Dog House" aspect was over blown. He only actually sat out Gray for one game. But he put her right back in the next game. Why? Because Gray was in LA' long term plans. She filled an actual need.

Williams is what she is - a high volume shooter who scores because she works for and gets her own shot. Her talent is getting her own shot, not being a good percentage shooter. Even if she limits her shooting I doubt her percentage goes up. LA has enough players who can get their own shot who shoot a higher percentage than her with out her. What they needed was a high percentage spot up shooter not her. She is at best a stop gap measure.

They might just be waiting to set up a trade with another team. Or they can keep her on the bench a while for insurance. I could never understand the love affair some fans have with players like Williams.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/20/17 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Williams is one of those players that's simply hit or miss. If LA had Williams last season, would they still have won the championship? is she coachable? Trade Williams for a 2018 pick and bring back Dabovic.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 05/21/17 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I definitely hear what y'all are saying and for her sake, I'm hoping she's coachable...

Anybody heard anything about Sims?

tfan

PostPosted: 05/22/17 1:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Why did Penny Toler miss the ring ceremony?

She was there. I guess she let her assistant have the GM ring.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/l2sLeeDclfU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

willtalk

PostPosted: 05/22/17 4:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In Respect to Sims I am thinking " no news is good news". If it was something major we would have already heard something.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: