RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 05/19/17 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We'll likely just see Prince & Hartley split time at PG. Prince leaves and they bring back L. Allen and possibly keep her through a string of 10-day contracts once Prince comes back.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/19/17 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
How do you guys feel about hartley's 2 performances so far this season ? Or does she get a pass since shes coming off a pregnancy a few months ago ?

Not great but she's a combo guard learning the point guard position on a post-heavy team. Coming from a more perimeter-oriented system it's undoubtedly an adjustment. And she hasn't been with NY that long so I'm in wait and see mode to see how she improves.

You may remember Erica Wheeker was signed when Boyd got hurt in 2015. She was horrendous with the Libs. Not a great player in general but more functional on any of the other teams she's played on than she was with the Libs where she could barely get the ball over mid court.

I think this season is about treading water in the first half and hoping a Piph-Sugar-Allen perimeter combo enables you to get hot at the right time.

The loss of Piph to Euros really intensifies the significance of Boyd's loss. And I'm sure to see Boyd develop before our eyes had to be a major source of pride to the organization. As a fan it's awesome. Achilles injuries are very tricky long-term. So no telling beyond this year what may happen but it just hurts so much to see a player coming into her own and it's taken away in an instant. Seeing young talent develop is generally the best part of being a fan.

PostPosted: 05/19/17 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Worth noting Charles mentioned in her post game sound the difficulties Boyd went through with the wrist injury. Which suggests her difficulties with that were beyond the scope of what we already knew.

PostPosted: 05/19/17 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So about Shoni Schimmel Rolling Eyes

Queenie

PostPosted: 05/19/17 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
So about Shoni Schimmel Rolling Eyes

If she'd felt like showing up, she would have come in handy. But since having her physically present, much less mentally present, appears to be too much to ask...

(now with spelling variations)
Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/19/17 11:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They suspended Schimmel for the full season anyway, so not an option even if she walked through the door for some reason.

PostPosted: 05/20/17 1:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.msgnetworks.com/2017/05/19/liberty-dealt-blow-lose-brittany-boyd-for-season/

PostPosted: 05/20/17 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When do Piph and Kia leave for Eurobasket? I'm looking at the schedule and what would have been favorable for us with a complete roster is basically riddled with question marks. Will Piph and Kia play against LA on the 30th? At this point I'm sort of glad we still have next year's first rounder. I don't see us having the type of situation to be able to withstand too many more injuries, especially in the immediate future.

Honestly, if we're 7-6 entering July I'll be thrilled. Not only do we have offensive questions, but if Kiah isn't right we are nothing special defensively either. If Kiah was Kiah, I'd think we can at least win some games ugly. But without that and with our personnel losses from last year we are definitely not equipped to win ugly. And without Boyd, Piph and Vaughn I'd say we're not equipped to win pretty either.

PostPosted: 05/20/17 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vaughn provides more on offense than Stokes or even Swords did. But Swords has such a high IQ about the game, I wish we still had her in a Liberty uniform. And we'd have Swords for the whole season. Prince & Vaughn should be out between June 12 - 28 depending how far the teams go. That's 4, possibly 5 games they'll only miss. The Euro final is on June 25. Likely what we'll have when Prince & Vaughn are out are:

PG: Hartley/L. Allen
SG: Rodgers/Zellous
SF: R. Allen/Burdick
PF: Charles/Zahui B./Raincock
C: Stokes/[Kai James?]

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/20/17 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You've played two games and have one injury to a player most people thought was your third-string point guard before the season started. I wouldn't jump off a bridge just yet.

PostPosted: 05/20/17 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For what it's worth, there's an Americup 2017 Tournament that takes place in Argentina from August 7-13. It's just four teams -- Argentina (rank #16), Canada (6), Colombia (47), Venezuela (30) -- fighting for three spots in the 2018 World Cup. Will Nayo have to attend? The competition doesn't look that tough, and three out of four teams making the cut is pretty good odds. I doubt Canada needs NRE, but you never know when it comes to national team politics. They may want her there anyway. Of course, the Liberty don't need Nayo that much either, but it's just another consideration for you folks who love playing GM. Smile

PostPosted: 05/20/17 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
You've played two games and have one injury to a player most people thought was your third-string point guard before the season started. I wouldn't jump off a bridge just yet.

True, but everyone we were relying on has sorta sucked. Boyd was the sole bright spot -- the only person who played well in both games -- so losing her is a bit disconcerting.

PostPosted: 05/20/17 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

I think most people thought Boyd was our second string PG, no? I know at no point did I have Hartley ahead of Boyd. And I knew from the preseason game at Columbia that Rodgers would not be playing a second of lead guard as per that Lenn Robbins article.

But beyond that, I think certain circumstances have changed. We as fans didn't really know coming into the season that Stokes wouldn't an early-season factor. We really couldn't say how Piph would function in a combo-guard role because we knew she'd only have a brief training camp with the team. Factoring in further Rebecca Allen's injury also. And Zahui barely being good enough to get off the bench after showing some overseas promise. So I think that defensively we are much worse off than we'd have thought we'd be. And offensively we don't have any person proven to be able to run NY's offense without Piph and Boyd available. And certain players we'd be hoping to step up offensively (Allen, Zahui) haven't demonstrated the readiness to do it either because of injury or otherwise. Just being realistic, the immediate future does not look promising.

PostPosted: 05/20/17 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
For what it's worth, there's an Americup 2017 Tournament that takes place in Argentina from August 7-13. It's just four teams -- Argentina (rank #16), Canada (6), Colombia (47), Venezuela (30) -- fighting for three spots in the 2018 World Cup. Will Nayo have to attend? The competition doesn't look that tough, and three out of four teams making the cut is pretty good odds. I doubt Canada needs NRE, but you never know when it comes to national team politics. They may want her there anyway. Of course, the Liberty don't need Nayo that much either, but it's just another consideration for you folks who love playing GM. Smile

There will surely be more teams than that (typically 10 total), although FIBA's site doesn't want to offer any information on the qualifying structure or organisation. It's the Americas Championship (the equivalent of EuroBasket Women that all the euros leave for, except that the US doesn't care so they don't enter). Four teams would be silly.

PostPosted: 05/20/17 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
root_thing wrote:

There will surely be more teams than that (typically 10 total), although FIBA's site doesn't want to offer any information on the qualifying structure or organisation. It's the Americas Championship (the equivalent of EuroBasket Women that all the euros leave for, except that the US doesn't care so they don't enter). Four teams would be silly.

It did seem weird, but I couldn't find more information. I thought maybe this was some kind of delayed final four. The tournament is only two and a half months away, and they have a whole website set up. Four teams is all they list. Why isn't there more information about the other teams? You would think a qualifying tournament would have been held by now. Maybe they're picking the other teams out of a hat? Laughing

PostPosted: 05/20/17 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK, so clicking around I did find information that mostly indicates there will be 10 teams, although they use the word "eight":

Quote:
The competition system for the FIBA Women’s AmeriCup consists of two phases. In the Group Phase, the eight (10) participating teams will be divided into two (2) groups of five (5) teams. Teams will play in round-robin format for four days. The best two teams from each group will advance to the next phase, where the first place of Group A will play against the second place in Group B and vice versa. The winners of the Semi-Finals will advance to the Gold Medal Match, while the losers will play for the bronze.

PostPosted: 05/20/17 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
OK, so clicking around I did find information that mostly indicates there will be 10 teams, although they use the word "eight":

Quote:
The competition system for the FIBA Women’s AmeriCup consists of two phases. In the Group Phase, the eight (10) participating teams will be divided into two (2) groups of five (5) teams. Teams will play in round-robin format for four days. The best two teams from each group will advance to the next phase, where the first place of Group A will play against the second place in Group B and vice versa. The winners of the Semi-Finals will advance to the Gold Medal Match, while the losers will play for the bronze.

their website only lists four teams. very odd. the 2015 tournament had Canada, plus 4 Caribbean teams & 5 teams from South America.

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/20/17 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Quote:

their website only lists four teams. very odd. the 2015 tournament had Canada, plus 4 Caribbean teams & 5 teams from South America.

Yeah, you would expect to see teams like Brazil and Puerto Rico in the tournament. I don't get it. Events usually need to be planned. If nothing else, you want to book early to ensure that you have flight and hotel accommodations -- not to mention getting the best rates. Maybe the FIBA web intern just didn't have time to type in the other 6 teams yet. Razz

PostPosted: 05/20/17 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the Caribbean Championship in 2015 was the qualifier for this, the four teams from that tournament would be: Bahamas, Jamaica, US Virgin Islands & Barbados. I'd guess and say the other teams might be Brazil & Cuba.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/21/17 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watching Seattle now and having watched part of Phoenix's destruction of Indiana last week, one thing is readily apparent. The Liberty in the past two years could impose their will on most teams through defense, rebounding, and controlling the paint on offense. The readily apparent thing is without that ability, these talented teams with multiple superstars are not teams we are going to be a favorite to beat.

I don't know if Taurasi can appeal her suspension or even if she would want to. But if we luck out with that maybe we can snare a win in Phoenix. But if we can't impose a defense/rebounding/control the paint scenario against Seattle, there's no ifs, ands or buts about it. We will lose that game by 15+ without a doubt. We don't have enough talent to out-talent that team, especially the way Loyd is playing.

Short version. Stokes has to become Stokes soon. That's NY's X-factor. And while I think there's a chance that NY can get hot at the right time down the stretch of the season with a combo of Charles and a lot of offense to space the floor, I'm now glad that we did not trade our first-rounder. It's not only good insurance to have against other injuries, but if it even turns out to be in the 7 or 8 neighborhood, perhaps it can be combined with a player to get another star player higher in the draft.

PostPosted: 05/23/17 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Side Note: Saw ads for the Liberty on GoComics.com.
Are there a lot of cartoon-reading Liberty fans?
LibFan25

PostPosted: 05/24/17 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chelsea Hopkins liked my comment on twitter when i said we need a PG lol

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 05/24/17 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
Chelsea Hopkins liked my comment on twitter when i said we need a PG lol

So you found out what this board is all about LMAO

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 05/24/17 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:

because you clicked on the Lib site ....those postings are at places you click on its called advertising, and done by computer marketing agencies

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/24/17 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
hyperetic wrote:

because you clicked on the Lib site ....those postings are at places you click on its called advertising, and done by computer marketing agencies

It seems like the WNBA might be putting some extra money into that type of internet advertising (eg. Google ads), because I have noticed WNBA-related ads all over the place lately - far more than ever before.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 54 of 80

Jump to: