RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Los Angeles Sparks 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 1113



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/18/17 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
tfan wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

You made a statement lumping the family together like it was a fact they shoot the same, that is not true. The elder and the middle samuelson have totally different shots, then you say she has a slow release and bring up aim, when in fact she was face guarded most of the time, but still was able to tie Stanfords single season 3 point record along with accuracy in the top couple of shooters in the nation for the last 2 years and yes I am saying she is accurate from beyond the arc, in fact the line didn't even seem to phase her wherever it was. And again you ignore the fact that she CAN shoot that far out which has nothing to do with release, it is called range! So don't be surprised that I questioned what you said.


I think the Samuelson family has a similar shot style with a distinctive aim and release point. With her release point I don't see her getting off 3 point shots if she is "face guarded" - unless she backs up even further and the defender remains at the 3-point line. You are ignoring the question of why she shoots that far out and is she as accurate from far out as she is at the line. Feel free to disagree - as it is just two opinions.


No you are harping on something that is not relevant and as stated by others she CAN shoot way out there with just as much accuracy. BTW the elder Samuelson shot was nothing like the middle Samuelson. The elder shot with a straight arm, low arc shot, without using her legs, the middle has way more arc catches in the pocket with her legs already under her, elbow always the same and uses a lot of backspin and uses her legs. They are not even close to being the same type of player either.

Really you don't see her getting her shot off while being face guarded, first she was face guarded in college, and what she did was get open off of screens and by conitinually moving, thats usually what players do when being face guarded. Not sure what point you are making please enlighten me as to who is getting their shot off while being face guarded without getting open to catch a ball?


I don't see how you could know if Samuelson has "just as much accuracy" from some distance behind the line as at the line. They aren't keeping distance-behind-the-line stats. It think it highly unlikely that she could, both because of the extra distance, and because there is no line to let her know she is in an exact distance away.

Part of what I see as similarity between the Samuelson sisters could just be that they look alike. But to me they (as someone put it) " start their motion from fairly low", particularly for tall players.

When I talk about getting a shot off while being "face guarded" (actually "closely guarded - I don't think anyone could get a shot off while "face guarded" unless they fade away to get some space) I am referring to players like Taurasi - tall for their position, long arms and bring the ball over their head and start their shot up over their head, not down by the waist.


First Taurasi does not shoot 3s from above her head, mid range but not 3s. Second the middle samuelson shoots with the elbow at a right angle to her shoulder always the same, doesn't have a wind up, can't remember the elder at this time but it was nothing like the middle. The mistake people make is where a player catches s the ball which is more to do with the passer but not necessarily part of the shooting action. If it is a bad pass to the side or low then obviously a player must then move the ball from that position into their shooting position. If Samuelson receives the ball in her shooting pocket from a good passer then she shoots from the 90 degree elbow point. Neither Samuelson brought the ball from their waist but both were very different in arc, release point on follow through, the use of legs and backspin.

Re accuracy, anyone who watched every Stanford game would know that she is accurate from anywhere she shoots hence her FG% as the majority of her shots were in fact not at the arc but beyond it.


Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 1113



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/18/17 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
so. grats to Ify for making it...I guess instead of Ruef. The Senegalese signing on the last day is just weird. I'm guessing because of contracts/cap they had to choose between AWT and TJJ. They better hope Nneka can play 40 minutes tomorrow.


How would it be different to Ruef? Just wondering as I thought they would both get the minimum.


Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 1113



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/18/17 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Alana Beard was the most dominant player of the WNBA's opening weekend

http://www.wnbago.com/2017/05/alana-beard-was-most-dominant-player-of.html

Quote:
Alana Beard is the most destructive defensive player in the WNBA, and is pound-for-pound, the best defensive player in basketball.


She was awesome, how can she be that old and look that young.


Rock Hard



Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Posts: 2364
Location: Chocolate Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/18/17 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
pilight wrote:
Alana Beard was the most dominant player of the WNBA's opening weekend

http://www.wnbago.com/2017/05/alana-beard-was-most-dominant-player-of.html

Quote:
Alana Beard is the most destructive defensive player in the WNBA, and is pound-for-pound, the best defensive player in basketball.


She was awesome, how can she be that old and look that young.


For two seasons she did not play any basketball because she was rehabbing her injuries. Her body does not have the same wear on it compared to someone who did not take a break to rest their body.



_________________
Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet and turn and tear you to pieces.
readyAIMfire53



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 5075
Location: Durham, NC


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/18/17 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
pilight wrote:
Alana Beard was the most dominant player of the WNBA's opening weekend

http://www.wnbago.com/2017/05/alana-beard-was-most-dominant-player-of.html

Quote:
Alana Beard is the most destructive defensive player in the WNBA, and is pound-for-pound, the best defensive player in basketball.


She was awesome, how can she be that old and look that young.


For two seasons she did not play any basketball because she was rehabbing her injuries. Her body does not have the same wear on it compared to someone who did not take a break to rest their body.


Let's re-phrase that: Alana suffered what could have been a career ending injury which required a totally reconstructed ankle. She was told "it's unlikely you will play WNBA level basketball. Alana worked HARD and was determined to recover against the odds. Meanwhile, she also prepared for her post WNBA career by learning how to run a small business. Getting her body to work so she could play her kind of defense and showcase her awesome talent took two years of grueling and painful work. The fact that she looks like a kid and plays with youthful energy is just who she is.



_________________
Follow your passion and your life will be true down to your core.

~rAf
Rock Hard



Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Posts: 2364
Location: Chocolate Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/18/17 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
pilight wrote:
Alana Beard was the most dominant player of the WNBA's opening weekend

http://www.wnbago.com/2017/05/alana-beard-was-most-dominant-player-of.html

Quote:
Alana Beard is the most destructive defensive player in the WNBA, and is pound-for-pound, the best defensive player in basketball.


She was awesome, how can she be that old and look that young.


For two seasons she did not play any basketball because she was rehabbing her injuries. Her body does not have the same wear on it compared to someone who did not take a break to rest their body.


Let's re-phrase that: Alana suffered what could have been a career ending injury which required a totally reconstructed ankle. She was told "it's unlikely you will play WNBA level basketball. Alana worked HARD and was determined to recover against the odds. Meanwhile, she also prepared for her post WNBA career by learning how to run a small business. Getting her body to work so she could play her kind of defense and showcase her awesome talent took two years of grueling and painful work. The fact that she looks like a kid and plays with youthful energy is just who she is.


Different words saying basically the same thing.



_________________
Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet and turn and tear you to pieces.
jap



Joined: 01 Apr 2007
Posts: 6942



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/18/17 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
pilight wrote:
Alana Beard was the most dominant player of the WNBA's opening weekend

http://www.wnbago.com/2017/05/alana-beard-was-most-dominant-player-of.html

Quote:
Alana Beard is the most destructive defensive player in the WNBA, and is pound-for-pound, the best defensive player in basketball.


She was awesome, how can she be that old and look that young.


For two seasons she did not play any basketball because she was rehabbing her injuries. Her body does not have the same wear on it compared to someone who did not take a break to rest their body.


Let's re-phrase that: Alana suffered what could have been a career ending injury which required a totally reconstructed ankle. She was told "it's unlikely you will play WNBA level basketball. Alana worked HARD and was determined to recover against the odds. Meanwhile, she also prepared for her post WNBA career by learning how to run a small business. Getting her body to work so she could play her kind of defense and showcase her awesome talent took two years of grueling and painful work. The fact that she looks like a kid and plays with youthful energy is just who she is.


Different words saying basically the same thing.


Not quite! You are effectively discounting the two years of heavy rehabbing she conducted to get her body right for WNBA conditioning after doctors told her that was never going to happen. It usually takes a superhuman effort to rebound from a career-threatening injury, no matter what the sport and there are only a small handful of athletes who have done it. In no way, shape, or form can that kind of effort be passed off as merely 'resting her body.'



_________________
Regards,
J A P
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 4665



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/19/17 2:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LA Sparks' Brian Agler and Sydney Wiese on upcoming season

[/url]


Rock Hard



Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Posts: 2364
Location: Chocolate Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/19/17 3:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Please show me where in my statement that I indicated that Beard spent two years RESTING her body? Beard spent two years dedicated to rehabilitation. She did not spend two full years playing against top level competition. Grant Hill is a player that had many injuries during his career and people thought he was done when he sustained those injuries. He worked hard to get into game shape and his career went longer at a high level compared with someone that spent the same time playing against top level competition.



_________________
Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet and turn and tear you to pieces.
jap



Joined: 01 Apr 2007
Posts: 6942



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/19/17 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Please show me where in my statement that I indicated that Beard spent two years RESTING her body? Beard spent two years dedicated to rehabilitation. She did not spend two full years playing against top level competition. Grant Hill is a player that had many injuries during his career and people thought he was done when he sustained those injuries. He worked hard to get into game shape and his career went longer at a high level compared with someone that spent the same time playing against top level competition.


If I read you wrong that's on me. However, this is what I saw:

"For two seasons she did not play any basketball because she was rehabbing her injuries. Her body does not have the same wear on it compared to someone who did not take a break to rest their body."

That last sentence I interpreted to mean that Alana's body did not have the same wear on it compared to someone [another player] who did not take a break to rest their his|her body. In other words you seem to be implying that Alana avoided the normal wear & tear on her body because she was taking a break to "rest" her "body."



_________________
Regards,
J A P
zvyn3



Joined: 20 Jul 2013
Posts: 403
Location: Tennessee


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/19/17 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jap is right.


jap



Joined: 01 Apr 2007
Posts: 6942



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/19/17 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:
Jap is right.


I don't know if Rock Hard said what he actually meant to say. I know I don't always express my thoughts properly, and Rock Hard has always been one of the posters here who I really like to read and joke around with occasionally. Besides it's not as cut & dried as that. Some rest is required when recuperating an injury. Nevertheless, rest alone will never get one back to an ultra competitive state---you have got to put in the blood, sweat, & tears too.



_________________
Regards,
J A P
readyAIMfire53



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 5075
Location: Durham, NC


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/19/17 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
Jap is right.


I don't know if Rock Hard said what he actually meant to say. I know I don't always express my thoughts properly, and Rock Hard has always been one of the posters here who I really like to read and joke around with occasionally. Besides it's not as cut & dried as that. Some rest is required when recuperating an injury. Nevertheless, rest alone will never get one back to an ultra competitive state---you have got to put in the blood, sweat, & tears too.


GREAT answer Jap! You might notice I did not try to make it a confrontation with my "rephrase." Just a different perspective on Alana's two years of rehab without playing in the WNBA. There is some truth that while not playing, the rest of Alana's body was spared that particular type of wear and tear + possible further injury to another body part. But it's also true that she was NOT "resting" during those two years.

Bottom line is Alana has always been an extraordinary athlete as well as being mentally strong. Both were required for her to be able to perform at her current level.



_________________
Follow your passion and your life will be true down to your core.

~rAf
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 7933



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/19/17 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In general, there are two kinds of physical activity: Those that build you up, and those that break you down.

Jogging 10 miles a week (most likely) builds you up; running a marathon breaks you down. Doing cardio work and weights builds you up (most likely); playing a professional basketball game breaks you down.

I would say that Beard's rehab did more to build her up, or at least keep her at the same level, than break her down, so in that sense, I think she does have less wear and tear than another athlete who played 50 or more professional basketball games.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 5409



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/19/17 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes and re-hab for an ankle, would seem put limits on the other activities you can do. Pretty much eliminates a lot of lower body workouts (e.g. running) and its is hard to find aerobic exercises that you can do if you have a bad wheel. A few years ago I had an MCL sprain. I did rehab on the knee for about 3 months, but couldn't do some of my usual aerobics for a while. I ended up doing speedbag which was fun but everyone else in the house hated it.


zvyn3



Joined: 20 Jul 2013
Posts: 403
Location: Tennessee


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/19/17 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Missing time due to injury is not an advantage toward longevity. I can't speak from experience, but I think spending 2 years rehabbing from injury is more grueling than 2 years of playing. Grant Hill played a long time in spite of his injuries, not because of them. It didn't work the same way for Brandon Roy, who retired at 27 due to serious knee problems, then came back after a year, only to get injured again after 5 games and end his career. Or Greg Oden.


stever



Joined: 16 Nov 2004
Posts: 6146
Location: Ann Arbor


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/20/17 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RFOXlf90A2E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>



_________________
Women's Basketball Daily
Celebrating the Women's Game Since 2005
WBBDaily Mobile Edition
Rock Hard



Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Posts: 2364
Location: Chocolate Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/20/17 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
In general, there are two kinds of physical activity: Those that build you up, and those that break you down.

Jogging 10 miles a week (most likely) builds you up; running a marathon breaks you down. Doing cardio work and weights
builds you up (most likely); playing a professional basketball game breaks you down.

I would say that Beard's rehab did more to build her up, or at least keep her at the same level, than break her down, so in that sense, I think she does have less wear and tear than another athlete who played 50 or more professional basketball games.

Thanks clayk. I respect Beard immensely. I wasn't trying to bash the woman at all. There is a science to human physiology. I'm grateful that Beard benefited from that science because I enjoy watching her play. Very Happy



_________________
Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet and turn and tear you to pieces.
Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 14861
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/20/17 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, this preseason featured the refs letting a player stay in the http://www.wnba.com/game/20170503/LASCON/#/panel-two]game with six fouls, soooooo...



_________________
"Silence must be heard, noise should be observed
The time has come to learn, that silence...
SILENCE MUST BE HEARD..."


Last edited by Queenie on 05/21/17 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 19742



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/21/17 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did anyone else notice the moment in the game when Parker came to the bench and told Wiese to move because she (Parker) wanted the rookie's seat? Wiese hopped to it. This just made me laugh.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 19742



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/21/17 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Well, this preseason featured the refs letting a player stay in the [urlhttp://www.wnba.com/game/20170503/LASCON/#/panel-two]game[/url] with six fouls, soooooo...


It's the scorekeepers' bailiwick. They have to inform the refs.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Libra_Girl



Joined: 12 Jul 2013
Posts: 853



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/21/17 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RFOXlf90A2E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
That was interesting to watch.


WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 2860
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/21/17 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Did anyone else notice the moment in the game when Parker came to the bench and told Wiese to move because she (Parker) wanted the rookie's seat? Wiese hopped to it. This just made me laugh.


Lol a little rookie haze which Qtr?



_________________
2-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-2-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 19742



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/21/17 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Did anyone else notice the moment in the game when Parker came to the bench and told Wiese to move because she (Parker) wanted the rookie's seat? Wiese hopped to it. This just made me laugh.


Lol a little rookie haze which Qtr?


I think it was pretty early - maybe the first time Parker came out. Pretty sure it was before Wiese got in the game. The seat wanted was right beside Lavender (in street clothes) so I assume it had to do with that, but yeah, it looked like 'rookie get outa the way'.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Michelle89



Joined: 17 Nov 2010
Posts: 13939
Location: Holland


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/21/17 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Did anyone else notice the moment in the game when Parker came to the bench and told Wiese to move because she (Parker) wanted the rookie's seat? Wiese hopped to it. This just made me laugh.


Lol a little rookie haze which Qtr?


I think it was pretty early - maybe the first time Parker came out. Pretty sure it was before Wiese got in the game. The seat wanted was right beside Lavender (in street clothes) so I assume it had to do with that, but yeah, it looked like 'rookie get outa the way'.


Yeah saw that. Parker wanted to sit next to Lavender and told Wiese to move. There was room for both of them but Wiese sat somewhere else



_________________
"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
hangtyme24



Joined: 21 May 2006
Posts: 2013



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/22/17 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any word on Sims' injury?



_________________
HERE 2 STAY!
WfanFrJmp



Joined: 24 May 2016
Posts: 372



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/22/17 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been wondering too! I know that it's nothing official but on Instagram, someone wished her well in her recovery, etc. and she said, "I'll be fine Smile don't worry!"

Hopefully, this is a good indication that all is well. We shall see!


WfanFrJmp



Joined: 24 May 2016
Posts: 372



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/22/17 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are a number of great interviews up by Delmy Barillas. Here are a few.

Sydney Wiese-Love her maturity! https://twitter.com/DelmyBarillas/status/865815674379161601

Kristi Toliver is missing playing with her friends in LA but is ready for the challenge in Washington: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvjr7z63uVE&t=2s


Riquna Williams indicated that she's still working her way back to 100% and there are some things they need to correct regarding her injury. (Not sure if that is surgery or just rehab). She noted that Coach made it very clear that he wasn't going to let her settle and would be riding her all season! lol! She's thankful that people still believe in her: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q8tSfPkxes


WfanFrJmp



Joined: 24 May 2016
Posts: 372



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/23/17 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Odyssey Sims is day-to-day with a left ankle injury and is not with the team on their road trip: https://twitter.com/hoopism/status/867207559484022784


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin