RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 05/18/17 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Welp.

Assuming Holly Rowe is correct and Boyd has a season-ending Achilles injury (that she seriously tried to walk off, I swear to the sweet hypothetical baby Jesus)... where do we go from here? Back to Lindsay Allen? Waiver wire? "Piph, congratulations, you're a point guard now?"

My off-the-wall theory: Tanisha Wright's been around, right? She's cored but unsigned, right? If we have, or can make, the cap room to bring her back in...

(now with spelling variations)
toad455

PostPosted: 05/18/17 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They probably can't afford Wright and keep 12 players(one being an injured Boyd). That means definitely one, possibly two players would need to get cut(Burdick & Raincock). I doubt they could afford Wright, plus 11 players & put Boyd on the injured list. We'll see what the verdict is tomorrow, but I'm assuming L. Allen comes back. We can't just have Hartley running PG when Prince leaves.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/18/17 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel sick. Just a few days ago I was thinking besides Tina that Boyd was the player we could least afford to lose. Ugh!!!!!!

PostPosted: 05/18/17 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I feel sick. Just a few days ago I was thinking besides Tina that Boyd was the player we could least afford to lose. Ugh!!!!!!

You might have been right. She was their best pace guard and probably their best on-ball defender too. Really sucks.

Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 05/19/17 12:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know a pretty darn good PG who is just a stones throw away that just might come out of retirement to play for the New York Liberty. Wink

Are you reading LFO?
<<<----------- Very Happy

PostPosted: 05/19/17 1:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very sad for Boyd.

If she is out for the year can we bring in another player without having to cut someone? Or would she still count as being on the roster meaning we can only have 11 the rest of the season?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/19/17 1:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unless they've loosened up the suspension rules yet more, you either have to carry her or cut her. So to add, for example, a Lindsay Allen, you'd have to cut one of the 12 currently on the roster.

It does, obviously, mean you're closer to being eligible to add a player via hardship exemption, but you're not getting that for just one injury, even when it's a long-term one.

(the Libs have plenty of cap room, by the way. A move like cutting Raincock-Ekunwe to add Tanisha Wright wouldn't be a problem)

PostPosted: 05/19/17 1:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The T. Wright idea is interesting.

Are we really that close to the cap?

Boyd, R. Allen, Burdick, Raincock-Ekunwe, Stokes and Zahui B are all on rookie contracts.

If not Wright or L. Allen what about giving B. Hopkins another shot. She was in our camp last season, and had a good showing in LA. She has been playing great in Israel, and is seasoned enough to be a serious player for NY right now?

If we are excited about Raincock-Ekunwe we could also try trading Zahui B. for a PG or if we want to bring one in (like Allen or Hopkins) trading Zahui B for future consideration. (This is nothing against Zahui B I want her to breakout this season fro NY, just thinking of other possibilities.)

Zahui B for A. Jones or Minny's very late first round pick in 18? Zahui B for Latta or Washington's very late first round pick in 18? Zahui B for Colson or SA's very early 2nd round pick in 18?

toad455

PostPosted: 05/19/17 5:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the Liberty will wait to sign anyone. We have Prince & Hartley for now. L. Allen likely comes back when Prince leaves for the Euros. Then possibly L. Allen just keeps getting signed to 10 day contracts.

Randy

PostPosted: 05/19/17 6:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Erin Phillips would make sense for the Liberty, unless age really has diminished her game a lot. Would she come out of retirement? Players have done that before.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/19/17 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Erin Phillips would make sense for the Liberty, unless age really has diminished her game a lot. Would she come out of retirement? Players have done that before.

Possibly. Do the Liberty waive Burdick or Raincock?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/19/17 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Randy wrote:

Have you watched the first two games? Burdick's pretty much been the first player off the bench (and looked pretty good doing it); Raincock-Ekunwe's basically 12th.

PostPosted: 05/19/17 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Liberty are looking to be a mess this year, and even worse now without Boyd. Stokes looks like she came back completely out of shape and with some weight gain. She looked like she was huffing and puffing a lot in the last game. Picking up Kia Vaughn, shaking my head at that. The last time she was with the Liberty, she was kinda forgetful if I recall. I think she's a downgrade from Carolyn Swords. Picking up Bria Hartley?? I mean really? She's been a complete bust so far in the WNBA and looks lost out there. Epiphanny Prince is a good player when she's decides to be available to play for the Liberty.

The Liberty roster was better last year. I don't seem them doing better or at least even matching their record they had last year.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 05/19/17 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
I know a pretty darn good PG who is just a stones throw away that just might come out of retirement to play for the New York Liberty. Wink

Are you reading LFO?

The ONLY good one I can think of that may come out of retirement to play for the New York Liberty is Erin Phillips. Aside from that, there's nothing.

PS, I thought you retired from following the WNBA? Maybe you can come out of retirement and be the Liberty's new PG. Probably make a better option than to the player your pointing too Wink

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/19/17 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Boyd, R. Allen, Burdick, Raincock-Ekunwe, Stokes and Zahui B are all on rookie contracts.

If not Wright or L. Allen what about giving B. Hopkins another shot. She was in our camp last season, and had a good showing in LA. She has been playing great in Israel, and is seasoned enough to be a serious player for NY right now?

If we are excited about Raincock-Ekunwe we could also try trading Zahui B. for a PG or if we want to bring one in (like Allen or Hopkins) trading Zahui B for future consideration. (This is nothing against Zahui B I want her to breakout this season fro NY, just thinking of other possibilities.)

Zahui B for A. Jones or Minny's very late first round pick in 18? Zahui B for Latta or Washington's very late first round pick in 18? Zahui B for Colson or SA's very early 2nd round pick in 18?

I think you missed Richyyy's point. NY has plenty of cap space. However, you need to cut someone to free up a roster spot. Injuries do not allow you to suspend a player, so Boyd stays on the roster. That is unless you're willing to cut her, which I doubt management wants to do. So, to add a player you either have to cut someone else or trade a player off your current squad. Right now, Nayo looks to be the most vulnerable.

If they make a move, it should be for a true PG. I don't see the point of bringing in another combo guard unless you've already lost faith in Prince or Hartley. However, it probably does make sense to wait since there are so many questions left unanswered. The fact remains that this team hasn't looked good since before the Olympic break. There are some more fundamental problems going on, and haphazardly blaming individual players is not going to fix them.

PostPosted: 05/19/17 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:

Are you reading LFO?

The ONLY good one I can think of that may come out of retirement to play for the New York Liberty is Erin Phillips. Aside from that, there's nothing.

PS, I thought you retired from following the WNBA? Maybe you can come out of retirement and be the Liberty's new PG. Probably make a better option than to the player your pointing too Wink

You're funny.

PostPosted: 05/19/17 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Randy wrote:

Have you watched the first two games? Burdick's pretty much been the first player off the bench (and looked pretty good doing it); Raincock-Ekunwe's basically 12th.

I think quite a few of the Liberty fan here think Nayo is really cute so that is clouding their judgement I'm afraid.

Razz

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/19/17 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

I think you missed Richyyy's point. NY has plenty of cap space. However, you need to cut someone to free up a roster spot. Injuries do not allow you to suspend a player, so Boyd stays on the roster. That is unless you're willing to cut her, which I doubt management wants to do. So, to add a player you either have to cut someone else or trade a player off your current squad. Right now, Nayo looks to be the most vulnerable.

If they make a move, it should be for a true PG. I don't see the point of bringing in another combo guard unless you've already lost faith in Prince or Hartley. However, it probably does make sense to wait since there are so many questions left unanswered. The fact remains that this team hasn't looked good since before the Olympic break. There are some more fundamental problems going on, and haphazardly blaming individual players is not going to fix them.

I understood Richyyy's point it was everyone else talking about cap trouble that was confusing.

I'd rather keep Raincock Ekunwe which is why I was coming up with trades with Zahui for PGs (I view Jones, Colson and Latta as PGs at least more than Prince or Hartley) or future consideration so we open up a roster spot to bring someone else in.

But I agree with Toad we should just roll with what we have and bring someone in when Prince goes back abroad.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/19/17 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe they trade someone for a pick to free up a spot? Zahui B to San Antonio for their 2nd round pick?

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/19/17 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't foresee a quick fix. There's no players out there good enough to make a difference immediately. And the Libs' system isn't going to be the most PG-friendly in the world where a new player will come in and be ready to go.

Piph has only been here for 12 days and a number of players are not 100% yet. So while I don't think the first two games are representative of our team, that "built on depth" thing is quickly going by the wayside. As is wearing teams down with our speed.

Plus the obvious that Hartley as the only PG in Prince's absence is a problem of significance. I'd say bringing back Allen is your best option because she knows the system already.

This is the third major injury within the first five games of the regular season in the team's history. I know it happens. But it feels like it's just devastating when it happens to us.

PostPosted: 05/19/17 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That sucks for Boyd and the team too.

Prince looked healthy to me. Straight line speed was good and smooth. Whalen tested her side-to-side right away in the 1st when she came in, saw what she saw, started the offense instead of trying a 1-on-1 (she did stick it to her late in the 4th, as a dagger). I only saw Prince grimacing the once, but didn't seem winded at all. I think the lack of production was mostly timing, coming back up to full speed against the Champs, is a tough go for anyone.

Zealous is listed at 188, but looked about the same as last year. Odd typo, umm, did they whoopsy that from someone else?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/19/17 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How do you guys feel about hartley's 2 performances so far this season ? Or does she get a pass since shes coming off a pregnancy a few months ago ?

PostPosted: 05/19/17 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

I'd rather keep Raincock Ekunwe which is why I was coming up with trades with Zahui for PGs (I view Jones, Colson and Latta as PGs at least more than Prince or Hartley) or future consideration so we open up a roster spot to bring someone else in.

If you keep NRE and trade Zahui B., then you'll make this team even smaller. I don't think Laimbeer wants that, nor does he want to move Charles back to center. In addition, we know Vaughn is gone for awhile for Eurobasket. That leaves you with one center. Yes, they can bring in a replacement player, but it's doubtful that person will ever get off the bench. So your post rotation is Stokes, Charles, and NRE? I don't think so. If you cut Nayo, you can always move Burdick over to PF if necessary. They are roughly the same size. NRE is more athletic, but Burdick seems better prepared for the WNBA at this time.

5thmantheme wrote:

Zealous is listed at 188, but looked about the same as last year. Odd typo, umm, did they whoopsy that from someone else?

Zealous was listed at 188 lbs last season too. I guess Charles regained some weight this year, but supposedly Tina was 186 last season. That means Shavonte was bigger. Smile

WNBA 09 wrote:
How do you guys feel about hartley's 2 performances so far this season ? Or does she get a pass since shes coming off a pregnancy a few months ago ?

It's only two games. And given that our MVP candidate is shooting .286, and our former All-WNBA guard is shooting .167, how can you beat-up on the reserve PG? That's like having your house on fire, but worrying that your lawn needs to be watered.

PostPosted: 05/19/17 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

It's not like she showed anything in Washington for three years either. But she looks good while she doesn't do much. Wink

- Amanda Gorman
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/19/17 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

It's not like she showed anything in Washington for three years either. But she looks good while she doesn't do much. Wink

Well it looks like she might get some real minutes now to sink or swim.

When I watch her I do see a WNBA level player, she has good handle, moves well, etc, hopefully when given a bigger opportunity she'll step up and produce.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 53 of 80

Jump to: