RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Best Team Name

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Best Team Name?
Atlanta Dream
5%
 5%  [ 4 ]
Chicago Sky
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Connecticut Sun
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Dallas Wings
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Indiana Fever
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Los Angeles Sparks
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
Minnesota Lynx
14%
 14%  [ 10 ]
New York Liberty
24%
 24%  [ 17 ]
Phoenix Mercury
10%
 10%  [ 7 ]
San Antonio Stars
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Seattle Storm
18%
 18%  [ 13 ]
Washington Mystics
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 70

Author Message
Mysticsfan12



Joined: 19 Sep 2014
Posts: 392



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/17/17 1:58 pm    ::: Best Team Name Reply Reply with quote

I saw an article yesterday that called the Wizards the "worst name in pro sports". It got me thinking, what are the best and worst names in the W? Vote below on the best, and share what you think the worst is, if there is one. Very Happy



_________________
Welcome to DC.
Mysticsfan12



Joined: 19 Sep 2014
Posts: 392



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/17/17 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I left the mystics out, but I'm guessing no one thinks that's a good name anyway 😂



_________________
Welcome to DC.
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 18961
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/17/17 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Best is clearly the Atlanta Dream, because I'm the one who came up with it Very Happy.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
StevenHW



Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Posts: 9799
Location: Sacramento, California


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/17/17 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Among defunct/relocated WNBA teams, I like the Houston Comets.



_________________
"My mechanic told me, 'I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder'." - comedian Steven Wright
miller40



Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Posts: 835



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/17/17 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Worst- Fever Laughing


toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 13051



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/17/17 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Worst - Dallas Wings. Should have kept the Shock name.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 53667
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/17/17 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mysticsfan12 wrote:
I left the mystics out, but I'm guessing no one thinks that's a good name anyway 😂


Actually, Washington Mystics is a great name. It's my favorite among WNBA teams.



_________________
She wants to dance, she loves to dance, she's got to dance
GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 3517
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/17/17 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is an interesting poll because it has to do with the meaning, symbolism and euphonics of language, and language is more important than basketball.

I grew up in a universal age when all sports teams had names that were plural nouns. Hence, I still cringe at what I consider to be the faddish gimmickry of using singular nouns as team names.

My predilections thus leave me only with the plural Sparks, Stars and Wings in this poll.

I don't know the origin of the name "Sparks", but sparks are tiny and evanescent things, which don't scintillate me at all.

"Stars" is a bastardization of the earlier "Silver Stars", which was a bastardization of the former nomenclatural horror out of Utah, the "Starzz". I can't vote for a double bastardization of a horror.

That leave the "Wings" by process of elimination. But the name also has the virtue of brevity, ease of rolling off the tongue, animalistic parallelism, and mythological symbolism. The symbol of the Wings seems to be Pegasus, the flying horse. This parallels the Dallas Mavericks NBA team, which is named after unbranded cows. Pegasus has an interesting mythological history, having been sired by Poseidon and foaled by Medusa the Gorgon. Pegasus became the symbol of both wisdom and poetry.

"Wings" flies to the top.
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 53667
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/17/17 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I grew up in a universal age when all sports teams had names that were plural nouns. Hence, I still cringe at what I consider to be the faddish gimmickry of using singular nouns as team names.

My predilections thus leave me only with the plural Sparks, Stars and Wings in this poll.


I'm pretty sure the plural of Lynx is Lynx.

Quote:
I don't know the origin of the name "Sparks", but sparks are tiny and evanescent things, which don't scintillate me at all.


From WNBA: A Celebration

Quote:
Los Angeles President Johnny Buss's inspiration was from an unlikely source. With a final deadline approaching, Buss was discussing the nickname while on the phone with the WNBA. At the same time, Brandi Bratcher, who worked for Buss, was on the phone with her dad, who was a welder. He suggested Sparks because, he said, when welding, sparks will fly and the basketball team should do the same thing. Buss was sold.



_________________
She wants to dance, she loves to dance, she's got to dance
Mysticsfan12



Joined: 19 Sep 2014
Posts: 392



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/17/17 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Mysticsfan12 wrote:
I left the mystics out, but I'm guessing no one thinks that's a good name anyway 😂


Actually, Washington Mystics is a great name. It's my favorite among WNBA teams.

I actually like it too! But I'm an impossible homer too, so I'm boased



_________________
Welcome to DC.
GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 3517
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/17/17 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sparks fly and so should teams? Weak!

I realize "Lynx" can be both singular and plural, but this very fact gives me numerical cognitive dissonance -- aka, a headache.

Having realized after writing my response that "Mysticsfan" mystifyingly FORGOT about the Mystics in his or her own poll -- as did I -- I would vote for the Mystics over the Wings.

The worst of a bad lot of name is "Fever", which has a negative connotation is almost all usages.
sigur3



Joined: 18 Jun 2013
Posts: 5233
Location: Chicago-ish


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/17/17 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like the Seattle Storm. They have the whole alliteration thing going.

And I don't know about the Wizards having the worst name, but they might have the worst logo.



_________________
toy story 2 was ok
calbearman76



Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 1179
Location: Carson City


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/17/17 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

I grew up in a universal age when all sports teams had names that were plural nouns. Hence, I still cringe at what I consider to be the faddish gimmickry of using singular nouns as team names.

My predilections thus leave me only with the plural Sparks, Stars and Wings in this poll.

"Wings" flies to the top.


I agree that plurals are a must. But I side with the Sparks. The Mystics is a play on the Wizards, the so-called worst name in sports. Glenn nailed it on the Stars. But where I pick the Sparks over the Wings is tradition. Great names grow over time so I can't pick a team that has been in existence only two years. The best team names in sports are the Canadiens, Packers, Yankees (and I say that as a die-hard Red Sox fan) and Celtics. I also admire that the Sparks didn't play off the name of their NBA brethren. And finally, the evanescent nature of Sparks is apt for the glitz of LA.

As for the worst, it has to be the Sun. This was the first head-on move into blurring nicknames and corporate interest in modern-day US sports.


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 53667
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/17/17 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
As for the worst, it has to be the Sun. This was the first head-on move into blurring nicknames and corporate interest in modern-day US sports.


The Anaheim Mighty Ducks preceded the Sun by a decade.



_________________
She wants to dance, she loves to dance, she's got to dance
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 18961
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/17/17 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
As for the worst, it has to be the Sun. This was the first head-on move into blurring nicknames and corporate interest in modern-day US sports.

Ever heard of the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim?



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 19728



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/17/17 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like names that can be associated with the place where the team exists, so for me that's the Lynx, Liberty, and Storm. I voted Storm because it rolls nicely off the tongue.

On the other side, I really don't much like Wings, Stars, Dream, Fever, Mercury.... (the names, not nec. the teams)

The rest are kinda neutral for me. Sun would be ok except it's in Connecticut! Sky is marginally ok - at least it's short. Mystics somehow ok even though it's along the line of the don't much likes. I grew up anti-LA in my DNA but the Sparks seem ok for that team.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 5409



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/17/17 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Most of the names are bad. They either have nothing to do with basketball, the city or women.

I voted for Dream, but it was homer vote. I think there is a really good argument for NY Liberty - it's about the city and about a female character, though has nothing to do with the sport.

Wings does have to do with a player/position, but nothing to do with the city that I am aware of.

Lynx is an animal that might be indigenous to MN, but I'm not sure of that. It is also possibly something to eat at game.

Names that strike out on all counts:

Fever, Sparks, Mystics and the astrological/atmospheric suite - Stars*, Suns, Storm, Mercury, and Sky. (Though I do like Storm best of that bunch.)


*Stolen from the Los Angels Stars of the ABA. Stars did have something to do with LA/Hollywood.


Ay Mate



Joined: 12 Nov 2016
Posts: 404



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/17/17 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The names I like...
1. Los Angeles Sparks (I just like the name)
2. Connecticut Sun (because their home court is Mohegan Sun, so it ties into the name of the venue which I like)
3. Washington Mystics (because it was always fun calling them the Washington Mystakes)
4. Phoenix Mercury (because it means extreme heat and kinda fits in with Phoenix being sooo hot and desert like, also like the planet Mercury)
5. Atlanta Dream (the dream team, hello lol)
6. Seattle Storm (I like team names where both words start with the same letter, and it's always rainy in Seattle)

Names I think are stupid...
Chicago Sky (worst name in the league with the worst logo. I mean, it's named after the cities skyline )
Dallas Wings (while funny, chicken wings, it's just a stupid name)
San Antonio Stars (I liked this name much better when it was Silver Stars, had a better ring to it)
New York Liberty (I get its the Statue of Liberty and all things America but the name Liberty doesn't convey a sense of a strong powerful team name if that makes any sense)
Indiana Fever (This name just makes me sick. Who's bright idea was it to name a professional sports team an illness)
Minnesota Lynx (it just doesn't roll off the tongue very nicely)


readyAIMfire53



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 5073
Location: Durham, NC


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/17/17 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liberty got my vote. Great symbolism as the Statue of Liberty is our nation's largest monument and female.

Can't vote for the Storm name after the perfection of the Seattle Reign (rain).

We could have a separate vote for worst logo. I'd vote for the Mystics logo every day and twice on Sunday. I like the name but the logo (to me) is like fingernails on a blackboard (you young'uns will have to do some research to understand the horridness of that sound). That's how much I detest their logo.



_________________
Follow your passion and your life will be true down to your core.

~rAf
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 53667
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/17/17 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:

San Antonio Stars (I liked this name much better when it was Silver Stars, had a better ring to it)


Silver Stars was a much better name. SASS is a great acronym for a WNBA team.



_________________
She wants to dance, she loves to dance, she's got to dance
auntie



Joined: 16 May 2006
Posts: 1724
Location: Brooklyn, NY


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/17/17 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Among defunct/relocated WNBA teams, I like the Houston Comets.


I liked the name Miami Sol.



_________________
A woman's place is in the paint--Another artist for Liberty.
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 13051



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/17/17 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Among all WNBA teams; current, defunct & relocated.

1. New York Liberty Very Happy
2. Washington Mystics
3. Seattle Storm
4. Orlando Miracle
5. Los Angeles Sparks
6. Houston Comets
7. Chicago Sky
8. Detroit/Tulsa Shock
9. Cleveland Rockers
10. Charlotte Sting
11. Miami Sol
12. Minnesota Lynx
13. Portland Fire
14. Sacramento Monarchs
15. Phoenix Mercury
16. Atlanta Dream
17. Indiana Fever
18. San Antonio Stars
19. Connecticut Sun
20. Dallas Wings
21. Utah/San Antonio Starzz



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 5409



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/17/17 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Favorite all time NBA team name: Baltimore Bullets.


WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 2843
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/17/17 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Favorite : New York Liberty...Powerful Name that cant be forgotten
Worst : My Own Dallas Wings...Anybody Got Some Ranch? #EnoughSaid smh #DallasDiamonds should have been the name imo



_________________
2-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-2-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 14859
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/17/17 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like names that are plurals. (It's something I almost always do whenever I create names for fictional teams.)

That being said, I have more than a passing fondness for the Liberty and the Storm as team names, ditto for the Sol. And I actually do like that bastardization Starzz, if only because it blended Utah's history so well. (ABA Stars + NBA Jazz)

Sun, Sky, and Fever are my least favorites. (Though Sun came in handy once upon a time... for some reason, my bridesmaid from Seattle sporfled when my wedding vows included "come sun or come storm".)



_________________
"Silence must be heard, noise should be observed
The time has come to learn, that silence...
SILENCE MUST BE HEARD..."
sigur3



Joined: 18 Jun 2013
Posts: 5233
Location: Chicago-ish


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/17/17 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
#DallasDiamonds should have been the name imo


That sounds like a strip club Laughing



_________________
toy story 2 was ok
J-Spoon



Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 3732



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/17/17 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lets Go Liberty!!!

Love the chant, love the name. It equates with the city, Lady Liberty, and the freedom to take your dreams to the highest level as a professional female athlete.

In defense of the Fever, I'm pretty sure it is a reference to basketball fever because everyone in Indy loves basketball. The teams in the league associated with NBA teams usually had name inspired by the NBA team, IDK maybe Indiana Racers since Pacers is a reference to the pace car in the Indy 500, but I don't think Fever is as bad as everyone else seems to..

Dream inspired by the MLK speech and again the more high minded side of the W, can't hate on that.

PX Mercury just sounds cool, well actually hot!

Seattle Storm work well alliteration and a sense of impending doom for the opponent.

Mystics, IDK if they were ghost hunters or competitive tarot card readers I would dig it, but for basketball not so much.

And my least favorite name, The Sky, the imagery is OK aim for the sky, jump high, sky over your opponent, but yeah I just have never liked it, there something I can't put my finger on, but I just find the name annoying.


Mysticsfan12



Joined: 19 Sep 2014
Posts: 392



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/18/17 12:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Liberty got my vote. Great symbolism as the Statue of Liberty is our nation's largest monument and female.

Can't vote for the Storm name after the perfection of the Seattle Reign (rain).

We could have a separate vote for worst logo. I'd vote for the Mystics logo every day and twice on Sunday. I like the name but the logo (to me) is like fingernails on a blackboard (you young'uns will have to do some research to understand the horridness of that sound). That's how much I detest their logo.

"Worst Team Logo"- AKA my next poll Laughing



_________________
Welcome to DC.
Mysticsfan12



Joined: 19 Sep 2014
Posts: 392



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/18/17 12:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Sparks fly and so should teams? Weak!

I realize "Lynx" can be both singular and plural, but this very fact gives me numerical cognitive dissonance -- aka, a headache.

Having realized after writing my response that "Mysticsfan" mystifyingly FORGOT about the Mystics in his or her own poll -- as did I -- I would vote for the Mystics over the Wings.

The worst of a bad lot of name is "Fever", which has a negative connotation is almost all usages.

It's pretty ironic, how out of all the teams, I forgot my own Very Happy. I think it's because they weren't he looks sat one and I hit "submit" too fast.
PS-shoutout to whichever admin was able to add them! 🎉



_________________
Welcome to DC.
GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 3517
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/18/17 12:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:


Dream inspired by the MLK speech


I'm learning some interesting things about the names in this thread that I didn't know. Does anyone have background on the names Miracle, Fire, Sting and Comets.
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 17030



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/18/17 12:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mysticsfan12 wrote:
It's pretty ironic, how out of all the teams, I forgot my own Very Happy. I think it's because they weren't he looks sat one and I hit "submit" too fast.
PS-shoutout to whichever admin was able to add them! 🎉

It's a thing in the message board software that trips up a lot of people who create polls. For every poll option you add to the list, you need to click on "Add Option", which then brings up the next empty box. A lot of times people type their last poll option into the empty box but then don't click the "Add Option" button before submitting their post, and the last option gets left off. I was able to add it, but not before most people had already voted.


For me:
#1 Seattle Storm. It has alliteration, it has relevance to the city, and it sounds like the visiting team is in for a rough time. That's the perfect trio for me.
#2 NY Liberty. Harder to define why I like it so much, but for me it just works. Would be nice if one day they managed to liberate the championship trophy from their opponents though.
#3. Phoenix Mercury just edges out Atlanta Dream



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
calbearman76



Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 1179
Location: Carson City


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/18/17 1:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:


Dream inspired by the MLK speech


I'm learning some interesting things about the names in this thread that I didn't know. Does anyone have background on the names Miracle, Fire, Sting and Comets.


All four of these were takeoffs on the NBA team from the same city:

Orlando Magic - Miracle
Portland Trail Blazers - Fire
Charlotte Hornets - Sting
Houston Rockets - Comets

I never liked that because it seemed like they were the little sisters, instead of their own teams.


GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 3517
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/18/17 1:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:


Dream inspired by the MLK speech


I'm learning some interesting things about the names in this thread that I didn't know. Does anyone have background on the names Miracle, Fire, Sting and Comets.


All four of these were takeoffs on the NBA team from the same city:

Orlando Magic - Miracle
Portland Trail Blazers - Fire
Charlotte Hornets - Sting
Houston Rockets - Comets

I never liked that because it seemed like they were the little sisters, instead of their own teams.


Thanks.

I don't get the connection between Trail Blazer and Fire. A trail blaze is a mark on a tree to show trail direction; it has nothing to do with fire. A trail blazer is someone who blazes a new trail -- a discoverer, pioneer or innovator.

The connection between rockets and comets is so weak I never thought of it. I watch the NBA so little I forgot about new-fangled teams like the Hornets and Magic.
RavenDog



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 5317



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/18/17 4:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
I like the Seattle Storm. They have the whole alliteration thing going.

And I don't know about the Wizards having the worst name, but they might have the worst logo.


+1 Storm connotes thunder, lightning, power, tough "sledding", fierceness, battle, difficulties, fear, high winds, defensiveness, etc., especially, if you're an opponent.

So, in facing an opponent, the biggest and toughest test, for me, would be a Storm mores than a Mystic, Spark, Wing, Star, Dream, Liberty, Sun, Sky etc.



_________________
CORINNE BAILEY RAE
The Heart Speaks In Whispers

Fabulous 5
Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 14859
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/18/17 6:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:


Dream inspired by the MLK speech


I'm learning some interesting things about the names in this thread that I didn't know. Does anyone have background on the names Miracle, Fire, Sting and Comets.


All four of these were takeoffs on the NBA team from the same city:

Orlando Magic - Miracle
Portland Trail Blazers - Fire
Charlotte Hornets - Sting
Houston Rockets - Comets

I never liked that because it seemed like they were the little sisters, instead of their own teams.


Thanks.

I don't get the connection between Trail Blazer and Fire. A trail blaze is a mark on a tree to show trail direction; it has nothing to do with fire. A trail blazer is someone who blazes a new trail -- a discoverer, pioneer or innovator.

The connection between rockets and comets is so weak I never thought of it. I watch the NBA so little I forgot about new-fangled teams like the Hornets and Magic.


Since the Trail Blazers are usually shortened to Blazers, think of that as the connection- and Blazer and Fire have a reasonable, if incendiary, connection.

Comets and Rockets are both part of a larger space theme in Houston- look at the Houston Astros, for example.



_________________
"Silence must be heard, noise should be observed
The time has come to learn, that silence...
SILENCE MUST BE HEARD..."
SDHoops



Joined: 09 Nov 2007
Posts: 510



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/18/17 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I vote Mystics for best.


StevenHW



Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Posts: 9799
Location: Sacramento, California


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/18/17 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mysticsfan12 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Liberty got my vote. Great symbolism as the Statue of Liberty is our nation's largest monument and female.

Can't vote for the Storm name after the perfection of the Seattle Reign (rain).

We could have a separate vote for worst logo. I'd vote for the Mystics logo every day and twice on Sunday. I like the name but the logo (to me) is like fingernails on a blackboard (you young'uns will have to do some research to understand the horridness of that sound). That's how much I detest their logo.


"Worst Team Logo"- AKA my next poll Laughing


Aren't you glad no WNBA team uses a tacky-looking logo as this one from the 2005 FIBA Tournament? Rolling Eyes




_________________
"My mechanic told me, 'I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder'." - comedian Steven Wright
justintyme



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 5840
Location: Northfield, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/18/17 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ugh. That logo was terrible. Every time I see it all I can think of is some sexist jackass's mudflaps....



_________________
Woe to that land that's governed by a child.
merlina



Joined: 07 Jun 2015
Posts: 37



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/18/17 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe it's just my homer bias, but Storm seems like the best one for reasons already mentioned. It has alliteration, a clear relationship to the city, and a clear meaning relating to basketball. On those criteria, probably Stars is the second best, but I don't like it that much. My personal favorite is the Mystics. I like both the meaning of the word and the way it sounds, but I can't really make a case for any reason why it's actually a good name.


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 53667
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/18/17 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alliteration is not a plus in my book. Washington Wizards has alliteration.



_________________
She wants to dance, she loves to dance, she's got to dance
GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 3517
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/18/17 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't get the animosity for the Washington Wizards. I kind of like it.

Do the opponents dislike John Wooden's alliterative and necromantic nickname, the Wizard of Westwood?

Based on my fuller understanding of WNBA nomenclature as a result of this thread, I'm shocked and even saddened that we don't have the Washington Witches.
Mysticsfan12



Joined: 19 Sep 2014
Posts: 392



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/19/17 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Mysticsfan12 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Liberty got my vote. Great symbolism as the Statue of Liberty is our nation's largest monument and female.

Can't vote for the Storm name after the perfection of the Seattle Reign (rain).

We could have a separate vote for worst logo. I'd vote for the Mystics logo every day and twice on Sunday. I like the name but the logo (to me) is like fingernails on a blackboard (you young'uns will have to do some research to understand the horridness of that sound). That's how much I detest their logo.


"Worst Team Logo"- AKA my next poll Laughing


Aren't you glad no WNBA team uses a tacky-looking logo as this one from the 2005 FIBA Tournament? Rolling Eyes


Oh my gosh, is that bad! Shocked



_________________
Welcome to DC.
MuneravenMN



Joined: 01 Jun 2008
Posts: 3827



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/19/17 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like names that very much reflect the location of the team.
Bonus points for names with multiple meanings or implications.
I like a team name that works smoothly with the city name.

Finalists: Liberty, Storm, Dream, Mercury, Lynx.

Lynx is too traditional. Bye-bye.
Mercury is also a male god. Bye-bye.
Dream is too gentle-sounding. Bye-bye.

Liberty or Storm? Very close. Both terrific names.

Going with the Storm because of the nice war implications (storm the castle) that augment the force of nature thing.

But Liberty is awesome, too.



_________________
Winning takes talent; to repeat takes character.
--John Wooden
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 7927



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/19/17 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel like the Liberty doesn't translate well to the basketball court, in the sense that the energy of a Storm can be used as a metaphor for a good team. The metaphor for Liberty would be a team that didn't really run an offense ...



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 3517
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/20/17 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I feel like the Liberty doesn't translate well to the basketball court, in the sense that the energy of a Storm can be used as a metaphor for a good team. The metaphor for Liberty would be a team that didn't really run an offense ...


Good points. The only thing I can come up with for the word "Liberty" to be connected to a basketball team in New York is the Statue of Liberty. But that, to me, is very metaphorically remote and weak.

I think of "liberty" as more of a political, social, legal or Constitutional noun. It makes as little sense to me as a basketball name as would: the NY Democracy, the NY Majority, the NY Fraternity, the NY Equality, the NY Life, the NY Property, or the NY Pursuit of Happiness.

Liberté, égalité, fraternité
-- motto of France

Life, liberty and property
-- John Locke; 5th and 14th Amendments of the U.S. Constitution

Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness -- U.S. Declaration of Independence
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin