Liberty
33%
 33%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 30

sigur3

PostPosted: 05/18/17 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
So much for Zahui b having a breakout season.She's not living up to the offseason hype.The more Zahui doesn't produce,the lower her trading stock drops.

I still dont know what people saw in her. Saw her play in person and was not impressed at all, not athletic enough and definitely not 6'5.

Agreed

toad455

PostPosted: 05/18/17 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
oh fuck me (and fuck that little push by Whalen)

Fanfuckingtastic and now I am even more impressed with Boyd's cojones trying to walk that off.

Okay, Piph? You need to not suck again like you sucked tonight.

Okay, Bria? You need to... um. Do something.

Okay, Sugar? We're going to need this every night.

Posts? All y'all have got to get all y'all's shit together.

Basically. Zahui B. needs to get her shit together ASAP. Tina was sick tonight, so I'll let it pass. Stokes needs to make those easy baskets. Hopefully R. Allen will be more of a factor as she gets closer to 100%. $10 says L. Allen comes back. if not L. Allen, who off the waivers would they be interested in? Fitzgerald? Erin Phillips? Tiffany Bias?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/18/17 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I cant help but think the more and more i hear And see borders im becoming more fond of her. More games added to espn!!!??? Ive never liked any prez after Val tbh

PostPosted: 05/18/17 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ugh. Ok so many things. First off on Zahui let's remember she's only 22 and has not had the North American basketball experience of her counterparts. Definitely not where we want her to be right now and she has a ways to go but I'm not writing her off either.

Regarding tonight. I think you could live with the result if we had no injuries. Tina was sick and we lost to the best team in the league. Boyd looks like a candidate for MIP and Sugar looked good for the most part. You know Piph and Tina won't shoot 3-19 again all year. You hope that players will run the plays correctly out of timeouts in the future. You wait for Kiah to be at 100% and you smile at the thought that Piph, Sugar, Boyd, Tina, Kiah and Allen is a great nucleus moving forward.

I was just thinking this morning, man tonight will be the first time in awhile the team has had its desired group of 12 healthy. Not only did that get broken after 35 minutes, but if it's a torn Achilles it brings major questions. Not only is she out for the year but recovery is dicey for an average player to begin with. Never mind that she's a player built almost completely on speed. It's heartbreaking because she demonstrated some midrange game to complement her penetrations. She looked like a player on the verge of major breakout and now possibly a season ending and potentially career-altering injury.

I'd say we've had maybe 6 games since 2013 with our top 12 players all healthy at the same time. This year we had it for all of 35 minutes. I feel so incredibly down. It's just another level of disappointment. Not unlike the feeling when Lobo tore the ACL in '99.

PostPosted: 05/18/17 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just watched the game in full. Piph at the point Is a disaster. She looks lost and non aggressive at all. Seems like everyone looks good against san antonio so far. NY looked terrible tonight everyone other tha sugar was hesitating and 2nd guessing themselves. The chemistry was missing obviously beginning of the season. Did Anyone else notice how Tina Charles became sick after halftime with just 2 pts Laughing

PostPosted: 05/18/17 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
@sportsiren wrote:
Crushing blow for @nyliberty Brittany Boyd likely done for season w Achilles injury.

Sad

Omg im sad Sad

Wow she was doing great ..get well B , there will be a spot waiting for you.

PostPosted: 05/18/17 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The thing I was impressed with today with Boyd was a) she finished at the rim and b) she has clearly been working with someone on her midrange shot, which looked smooth and had a nice rainbow arc on it. (and actually went in!)

So I thought this game was the best I've ever seen her! So very sad if it is an achilles tear!

- Amanda Gorman
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/18/17 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Goes to show how much a fast guard can be aided by a midrange shot. Not surprised at the improved finishing because you could see the improved skill and awareness in preseason. She had been getting better angles to the rim than last year with renewed explosiveness. Now this. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 05/18/17 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Ugh. Ok so many things. First off on Zahui let's remember she's only 22 and has not had the North American basketball experience of her counterparts. Definitely not where we want her to be right now and she has a ways to go but I'm not writing her off either.

Regarding tonight. I think you could live with the result if we had no injuries. Tina was sick and we lost to the best team in the league. Boyd looks like a candidate for MIP and Sugar looked good for the most part. You know Piph and Tina won't shoot 3-19 again all year. You hope that players will run the plays correctly out of timeouts in the future. You wait for Kiah to be at 100% and you smile at the thought that Piph, Sugar, Boyd, Tina, Kiah and Allen is a great nucleus moving forward.

I was just thinking this morning, man tonight will be the first time in awhile the team has had its desired group of 12 healthy. Not only did that get broken after 35 minutes, but if it's a torn Achilles it brings major questions. Not only is she out for the year but recovery is dicey for an average player to begin with. Never mind that she's a player built almost completely on speed. It's heartbreaking because she demonstrated some midrange game to complement her penetrations. She looked like a player on the verge of major breakout and now possibly a season ending and potentially career-altering injury.

I'd say we've had maybe 6 games since 2013 with our top 12 players all healthy at the same time. This year we had it for all of 35 minutes. I feel so incredibly down. It's just another level of disappointment. Not unlike the feeling when Lobo tore the ACL in '99.

It hurts i feel bad for her like u said she was about to have a breakout season, shooting it with confidence and swag. The libs are gonna miss her BIG time. I think the libs is NOT gonna give up on Boyd yet they will help her recover to come back, but i would not surprise next year they draft another guard. So now whats next? L.Allen is not Boyd but that will be the logical move is to bring her back. Hartley is gonna have do something now...time to wake up Bria.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/19/17 12:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One of the things I find most depressing about the sports world is how quick too many fans are to trash players on the teams they claim to love.

PostPosted: 05/19/17 7:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's really a shame about Boyd. Even though she could be out of control at times, Brittany was arguably the best player on the team for the minutes she was on the floor. In terms of making a move, Nayo has had no production except for maybe the second half of the first preseason game. She looks to be the most vulnerable if they need a roster spot for a PG.

Obviously, Tina shooting .286 and Piph .167 is not going to cut it. With their track record, you would think they'll snap out of it. It's still early, and a lot of players came in late, so some of these comments about players after just two games are very premature to say the least. There are clearly both system problems and rotation issues to work out. So far, we're seeing a drop in performance in terms of rebounding and points in the paint. I don't know if that's due to system changes, individual performance or personnel changes. I do think replacing Swords with Vaughn does alter some things fundamentally. While Vaughn gives you more mobility, Swords was able to provide a base level of rim protection and rebounding due to size alone. You no longer have that with Vaughn. Kia also has a habit of turning her back on the ballhandler. Several times in the first two games, opponents have driven down the lane and Kia didn't even notice because she had her back turned. On the offensive end, Vaughn will struggle against the taller centers like Fowles and Boyette. She doesn't really have the jumping ability or low post moves to compensate for her lack of height. Swords could often get putbacks or roll into the paint for layups just by taking advantage of her height.

PostPosted: 05/19/17 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
The thing I was impressed with today with Boyd was a) she finished at the rim and b) she has clearly been working with someone on her midrange shot, which looked smooth and had a nice rainbow arc on it. (and actually went in!)

So I thought this game was the best I've ever seen her! So very sad if it is an achilles tear!

Agree, she looked great.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/20/17 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
It's really a shame about Boyd. Even though she could be out of control at times, Brittany was arguably the best player on the team for the minutes she was on the floor. In terms of making a move, Nayo has had no production except for maybe the second half of the first preseason game. She looks to be the most vulnerable if they need a roster spot for a PG.

Obviously, Tina shooting .286 and Piph .167 is not going to cut it. With their track record, you would think they'll snap out of it. It's still early, and a lot of players came in late, so some of these comments about players after just two games are very premature to say the least. There are clearly both system problems and rotation issues to work out. So far, we're seeing a drop in performance in terms of rebounding and points in the paint. I don't know if that's due to system changes, individual performance or personnel changes. I do think replacing Swords with Vaughn does alter some things fundamentally. While Vaughn gives you more mobility, Swords was able to provide a base level of rim protection and rebounding due to size alone. You no longer have that with Vaughn. Kia also has a habit of turning her back on the ballhandler. Several times in the first two games, opponents have driven down the lane and Kia didn't even notice because she had her back turned. On the offensive end, Vaughn will struggle against the taller centers like Fowles and Boyette. She doesn't really have the jumping ability or low post moves to compensate for her lack of height. Swords could often get putbacks or roll into the paint for layups just by taking advantage of her height.

This is pretty much my view as well. Vaughn also doesn't possess the length to really deter post players in the paint. She works hard, she's athletic and moves well enough that she'll mix in some good defensive plays, but I think the overall rim protection simply isn't the same. Couple that with Kiah not being Kiah just yet, and I think that magnifies the issue of rim protection even further.

On the surface, beating teams with our depth could have been a design that made sense. But depth is such a fickle thing, especially in a short season. Now that we really don't have it, it remains to be seen how much our nucleus can carry us once we have our players back. And what will that mean for Tina and her minutes? Bill mentioned her wants to get Tina's minutes down this year. If the team can't score without her on the floor, how long will that last?

PostPosted: 05/20/17 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That whole sending people out in waves thing also requires a certain type of player. You need high energy individuals who are willing to play at a manic pace. That's the only way you're going to wear down opponents at this level. Not everyone can play that way. Boyd, Zellous, and Burdick definitely can, but I'm not sure about the others. Also, starters who are accustomed to playing a lot of minutes suddenly have to get used to short shifts. It's like taking a starting pitcher in baseball and converting him into a short reliever. For some, it turns out to be the optimal way to use them. For others, it's an uncomfortable adjustment. I think that's one of the reasons for all the dumb fouls NY has committed so far. Between Bill's carping about being more physical, and people trying to raise their energy level, some players are being over-aggressive. They're struggling to find the right balance. Now that Boyd is gone, New York has probably lost their best player for this system.

PostPosted: 05/20/17 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's a great point. And a part of why I felt Boyd was going to be indispensable this year. Coming at teams in waves works only with tempo.

We still have some people who should be able to score on a per-minute basis though. Guess we have to wait and see.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: