sigur3

PostPosted: 05/17/17 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
#DallasDiamonds should have been the name imo

That sounds like a strip club Laughing

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/17/17 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lets Go Liberty!!!

Love the chant, love the name. It equates with the city, Lady Liberty, and the freedom to take your dreams to the highest level as a professional female athlete.

In defense of the Fever, I'm pretty sure it is a reference to basketball fever because everyone in Indy loves basketball. The teams in the league associated with NBA teams usually had name inspired by the NBA team, IDK maybe Indiana Racers since Pacers is a reference to the pace car in the Indy 500, but I don't think Fever is as bad as everyone else seems to..

Dream inspired by the MLK speech and again the more high minded side of the W, can't hate on that.

PX Mercury just sounds cool, well actually hot!

Seattle Storm work well alliteration and a sense of impending doom for the opponent.

Mystics, IDK if they were ghost hunters or competitive tarot card readers I would dig it, but for basketball not so much.

And my least favorite name, The Sky, the imagery is OK aim for the sky, jump high, sky over your opponent, but yeah I just have never liked it, there something I can't put my finger on, but I just find the name annoying.

Mysticsfan12

PostPosted: 05/18/17 12:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Liberty got my vote. Great symbolism as the Statue of Liberty is our nation's largest monument and female.

Can't vote for the Storm name after the perfection of the Seattle Reign (rain).

We could have a separate vote for worst logo. I'd vote for the Mystics logo every day and twice on Sunday. I like the name but the logo (to me) is like fingernails on a blackboard (you young'uns will have to do some research to understand the horridness of that sound). That's how much I detest their logo.

"Worst Team Logo"- AKA my next poll Laughing

PostPosted: 05/18/17 12:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Sparks fly and so should teams? Weak!

I realize "Lynx" can be both singular and plural, but this very fact gives me numerical cognitive dissonance -- aka, a headache.

Having realized after writing my response that "Mysticsfan" mystifyingly FORGOT about the Mystics in his or her own poll -- as did I -- I would vote for the Mystics over the Wings.

The worst of a bad lot of name is "Fever", which has a negative connotation is almost all usages.

It's pretty ironic, how out of all the teams, I forgot my own Very Happy. I think it's because they weren't he looks sat one and I hit "submit" too fast.
PS-shoutout to whichever admin was able to add them! 🎉

PostPosted: 05/18/17 12:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Dream inspired by the MLK speech

I'm learning some interesting things about the names in this thread that I didn't know. Does anyone have background on the names Miracle, Fire, Sting and Comets.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/18/17 12:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mysticsfan12 wrote:
It's pretty ironic, how out of all the teams, I forgot my own Very Happy. I think it's because they weren't he looks sat one and I hit "submit" too fast.
PS-shoutout to whichever admin was able to add them! 🎉

It's a thing in the message board software that trips up a lot of people who create polls. For every poll option you add to the list, you need to click on "Add Option", which then brings up the next empty box. A lot of times people type their last poll option into the empty box but then don't click the "Add Option" button before submitting their post, and the last option gets left off. I was able to add it, but not before most people had already voted.

For me:
#1 Seattle Storm. It has alliteration, it has relevance to the city, and it sounds like the visiting team is in for a rough time. That's the perfect trio for me.
#2 NY Liberty. Harder to define why I like it so much, but for me it just works. Would be nice if one day they managed to liberate the championship trophy from their opponents though.
#3. Phoenix Mercury just edges out Atlanta Dream

PostPosted: 05/18/17 1:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

I'm learning some interesting things about the names in this thread that I didn't know. Does anyone have background on the names Miracle, Fire, Sting and Comets.

All four of these were takeoffs on the NBA team from the same city:

Orlando Magic - Miracle
Portland Trail Blazers - Fire
Charlotte Hornets - Sting
Houston Rockets - Comets

I never liked that because it seemed like they were the little sisters, instead of their own teams.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 05/18/17 1:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Orlando Magic - Miracle
Houston Rockets - Comets

I never liked that because it seemed like they were the little sisters, instead of their own teams.

Thanks.

I don't get the connection between Trail Blazer and Fire. A trail blaze is a mark on a tree to show trail direction; it has nothing to do with fire. A trail blazer is someone who blazes a new trail -- a discoverer, pioneer or innovator.

The connection between rockets and comets is so weak I never thought of it. I watch the NBA so little I forgot about new-fangled teams like the Hornets and Magic.
RavenDog

PostPosted: 05/18/17 4:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
I like the Seattle Storm. They have the whole alliteration thing going.

And I don't know about the Wizards having the worst name, but they might have the worst logo.

+1 Storm connotes thunder, lightning, power, tough "sledding", fierceness, battle, difficulties, fear, high winds, defensiveness, etc., especially, if you're an opponent.

So, in facing an opponent, the biggest and toughest test, for me, would be a Storm mores than a Mystic, Spark, Wing, Star, Dream, Liberty, Sun, Sky etc.

Queenie

PostPosted: 05/18/17 6:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Orlando Magic - Miracle
Houston Rockets - Comets

Thanks.

I don't get the connection between Trail Blazer and Fire. A trail blaze is a mark on a tree to show trail direction; it has nothing to do with fire. A trail blazer is someone who blazes a new trail -- a discoverer, pioneer or innovator.

The connection between rockets and comets is so weak I never thought of it. I watch the NBA so little I forgot about new-fangled teams like the Hornets and Magic.

Since the Trail Blazers are usually shortened to Blazers, think of that as the connection- and Blazer and Fire have a reasonable, if incendiary, connection.

Comets and Rockets are both part of a larger space theme in Houston- look at the Houston Astros, for example.

(now with spelling variations)
SDHoops

PostPosted: 05/18/17 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I vote Mystics for best.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 05/18/17 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mysticsfan12 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Liberty got my vote. Great symbolism as the Statue of Liberty is our nation's largest monument and female.

We could have a separate vote for worst logo. I'd vote for the Mystics logo every day and twice on Sunday. I like the name but the logo (to me) is like fingernails on a blackboard (you young'uns will have to do some research to understand the horridness of that sound). That's how much I detest their logo.

Aren't you glad no WNBA team uses a tacky-looking logo as this one from the 2005 FIBA Tournament? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 05/18/17 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ugh. That logo was terrible. Every time I see it all I can think of is some sexist jackass's mudflaps....

PostPosted: 05/18/17 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe it's just my homer bias, but Storm seems like the best one for reasons already mentioned. It has alliteration, a clear relationship to the city, and a clear meaning relating to basketball. On those criteria, probably Stars is the second best, but I don't like it that much. My personal favorite is the Mystics. I like both the meaning of the word and the way it sounds, but I can't really make a case for any reason why it's actually a good name.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/18/17 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alliteration is not a plus in my book. Washington Wizards has alliteration.

PostPosted: 05/18/17 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't get the animosity for the Washington Wizards. I kind of like it.

Do the opponents dislike John Wooden's alliterative and necromantic nickname, the Wizard of Westwood?

Based on my fuller understanding of WNBA nomenclature as a result of this thread, I'm shocked and even saddened that we don't have the Washington Witches.
Mysticsfan12

PostPosted: 05/19/17 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Mysticsfan12 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

Aren't you glad no WNBA team uses a tacky-looking logo as this one from the 2005 FIBA Tournament? Rolling Eyes

Oh my gosh, is that bad! Shocked

PostPosted: 05/19/17 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like names that very much reflect the location of the team.
Bonus points for names with multiple meanings or implications.
I like a team name that works smoothly with the city name.

Finalists: Liberty, Storm, Dream, Mercury, Lynx.

Lynx is too traditional. Bye-bye.
Mercury is also a male god. Bye-bye.
Dream is too gentle-sounding. Bye-bye.

Liberty or Storm? Very close. Both terrific names.

Going with the Storm because of the nice war implications (storm the castle) that augment the force of nature thing.

But Liberty is awesome, too.

PostPosted: 05/19/17 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel like the Liberty doesn't translate well to the basketball court, in the sense that the energy of a Storm can be used as a metaphor for a good team. The metaphor for Liberty would be a team that didn't really run an offense ...

PostPosted: 05/20/17 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I feel like the Liberty doesn't translate well to the basketball court, in the sense that the energy of a Storm can be used as a metaphor for a good team. The metaphor for Liberty would be a team that didn't really run an offense ...

Good points. The only thing I can come up with for the word "Liberty" to be connected to a basketball team in New York is the Statue of Liberty. But that, to me, is very metaphorically remote and weak.

I think of "liberty" as more of a political, social, legal or Constitutional noun. It makes as little sense to me as a basketball name as would: the NY Democracy, the NY Majority, the NY Fraternity, the NY Equality, the NY Life, the NY Property, or the NY Pursuit of Happiness.

Liberté, égalité, fraternité
-- motto of France

Life, liberty and property
-- John Locke; 5th and 14th Amendments of the U.S. Constitution

Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness -- U.S. Declaration of Independence
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: