RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Congrats to Taurasi and Penny!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huskie

PostPosted: 05/17/17 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congratulations to Dee and Penny. About time! FWIW, Penny's title is Player development coach. Probably to work with Stephanie Talbot and those that can use it. Also, likely acclimating the many new players to Sandy's system. Really don't see a conflict. After all Dee is the GOAT. In other FWIW's, Rodrigo wasn't so perfect in the faithful area. But, I prefer to stay in celebratory mode ! If you've seen Dee and Penny interact, you know this is a great match! Wishing them many happy years together

PostPosted: 05/17/17 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:

Good luck trying to get Taurasi into a dress Laughing Laughing

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 05/17/17 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

what is Dee like off the court? i get the impression she is a pretty laid back person.

justinabina

PostPosted: 05/17/17 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
They make a nice couple and it's been known for quite a while. Didn't they buy a house together in SoCal a few years ago?

I know nothing about same sex marriage ceremonies, and am wondering if there's any significance to the fact that Penny is wearing something akin to a traditional bridal gown whereas Diana is dressed in slacks and jacket. Is that usual, and if so, how is it decided who wears what?

Do you really not know anything? That is so surprising to me. How can that be? Razz Apart from the usual daily encounters with people of all types of marriages and partnerships - it also seems hard to scroll through anything online without encountering a Buzzfeed 28 pictures of cute grandparents at gay weddings-type article.

My own experience of same sex marriage ceremonies is that they are as varied in clothing & dress codes and as full of teary speeches as opposite sex marriage ceremonies.

justinabina

PostPosted: 05/17/17 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
Congratulations to Diana Taurasi and Penny Taylor. They appear to be very much in love, and I hope that they get to enjoy a wonderful and happy life together.

With that said, does anyone here besides me feel any empathy for Rodrigo at all?

It has been 8 years. He probably got over it.

Maybe. Maybe not. I wasn't really asking whether people thought he was "over" it, and I didn't realize that there was a statute of limitations on empathy.

miller40 wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
With that said, does anyone here besides me feel any empathy for Rodrigo at all?

Why? Divorce isn't uncommon anymore.

What does that have to do with anything? As far as I know, Gil wasn't a bad husband, nor did he do wrong by Penny. Is there any reason why I shouldn't feel empathy for a person whose marriage ends for reasons that were, TTBOMK, completely outside of their control?

I also found this a funny comment - I guess I don't usually wonder about an acquaintance's first marriage when celebrating their second (haven't had too much occasion to do this - but have had some). I have to wonder, is it empathy or assumption? Wouldn't empathy require that the other party articulate their pain? I'm not sure how it can be shared and understood if it isn't directly known. (By the way - I'm not trying to be hostile or snarky - my apologies if this comes across as such. I'm genuinely curious - would like to know a little about how you view the world to better understand where you're coming from with this post.)

Howee

PostPosted: 05/17/17 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I want to know who did DT's makeup. She looks fabulous!

Couldn't disagree more....DT looks MUCH better without it, imo. And Penny's makes her look like she's got double shiners! Razz They're both 2 people who (imo) do NOT need makeup to look their best.

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I know nothing about same sex marriage ceremonies, and am wondering if there's any significance to the fact that Penny is wearing something akin to a traditional bridal gown whereas Diana is dressed in slacks and jacket. Is that usual, and if so, how is it decided who wears what?

I'd say the only 'significance' implied is that they expressed their own comfort levels in dressing for such an occasion.

Decisions like that are dictated by the individuals, as in any wedding. Some prefer traditional, some enjoy getting creative, regardless of same-sex or hetero couples. My husband and I got married in a civil ceremony, and we both wore suits. He chose a tie, and I stayed with an open-collar. But I've seen 2 gals BOTH wear white dresses, or both wear suits, or any combination thereof. And--literally--the same combos can be donned by 2 guys.

PostPosted: 05/17/17 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
I have no idea why they divorced. Maybe you know more about that than me.

I don't know anything, that's kind of my point. I mean, I am the most "hardcore" WNBA fan I know IRL (which is really just to say that I like the WNBA) but, compared to, like, 99 percent of the posters at Rebkell, I am little more than a casual fan of women's basketball. Several people here have, or at least claim to have, inside information that I am not privy to. So, maybe they know something that I don't... As far as I know, Rodrigo never did Penny wrong, never put his hands on her, never verbally abused her, never publicly embarrassed her... AFAIK, he never even left the seat up. He just fell in love with someone who fell in love with somebody else.

And I'm not even implying that Penny did anything wrong, so don't get that twisted, either. I'd just like to think that I'd have empathy for any person whose marriage ended through no fault of their own. Now, if someone comes round to educate me about a laundry list of Rodrigo's faults, that I was previously unaware of, then I will retract my statement. Otherwise, I ask again: why shouldn't I feel empathy for the guy? It's not like being happy for Diana and Penny requires me to look at Rodrigo and be like, "Welp, sorry about your damned luck, boy!"

Quote:
Also, bisexuality exists.

Which has to do with what? Is the implication that Penny is bisexual, therefore the reason why she and Rodrigo got divorced is because he screwed something up?

justinabina wrote:
I also found this a funny comment - I guess I don't usually wonder about an acquaintance's first marriage when celebrating their second (haven't had too much occasion to do this - but have had some). I have to wonder, is it empathy or assumption?

What, exactly, do you think I am assuming?

Quote:
Wouldn't empathy require that the other party articulate their pain?

I don't know why it would 'require' that? Can't I just empathize with someone whose marriage has failed? I mean, I empathize with Penny, too, but in her case, I can celebrate that she has moved on with the love of her life. I don't know that about Rodrigo, and my Google-fu is so weak, I wouldn't know how to find out. FWIW, when my best friend got remarried, I felt empathy for his first wife, even though she and I were never close. I just think it's unfortunate when a marriage ends, that's all: I don't really need to know whether or not the person is 'in pain' over it.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/18/17 12:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If anybody got the worst end of it its probably LJ because she lost 2 good friends over it..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/18/17 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
If anybody got the worst end of it its probably LJ because she lost 2 good friends over it..

This _____x

PostPosted: 05/18/17 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

GlennMacGrady wrote:

I'd say the only 'significance' implied is that they expressed their own comfort levels in dressing for such an occasion.

Decisions like that are dictated by the individuals, as in any wedding. Some prefer traditional, some enjoy getting creative, regardless of same-sex or hetero couples. My husband and I got married in a civil ceremony, and we both wore suits. He chose a tie, and I stayed with an open-collar. But I've seen 2 gals BOTH wear white dresses, or both wear suits, or any combination thereof. And--literally--the same combos can be donned by 2 guys.

Agreed, though I must admit, I've not seen two guys get married in poufy white dresses. But perhaps I don't get out enough. Wink

Also, Glenn (or anyone else wondering), one can draw no conclusions about the couple based on these clothing choices. It's possible that the one who prefers suits and slacks mows the lawn and the girly girl does the cooking. But it's equally possible that the pants-wearer is the stay-at-home mom and the girly girl changes the oil in the cars. Same-sex couples have the luxury of simply defining their roles based on their own personal preferences without centuries of cultural expectations getting in the way. Seems as though opposite sex couples are more and more doing the same these days.

sammieee

PostPosted: 05/18/17 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:

Yeah, I was about to ask about that.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 05/18/17 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

newkid wrote:
Howee wrote:

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Agreed, though I must admit, I've not seen two guys get married in poufy white dresses. But perhaps I don't get out enough. Wink

Also, Glenn (or anyone else wondering), one can draw no conclusions about the couple based on these clothing choices. It's possible that the one who prefers suits and slacks mows the lawn and the girly girl does the cooking. But it's equally possible that the pants-wearer is the stay-at-home mom and the girly girl changes the oil in the cars. Same-sex couples have the luxury of simply defining their roles based on their own personal preferences without centuries of cultural expectations getting in the way. Seems as though opposite sex couples are more and more doing the same these days.

Thanks to you who have answered my question seriously. I readily admit that I have never attended a same sex marriage ceremony, don't personally know any same sex married couples (at least who admit it), and am generally uninterested at this point in my life in the subject, or pictures, of any kind of marriage ceremonies.

But I am interested in Diana and Penny.

Another thing that sparked my interest in same sex marriage practices was a comment in another thread -- I don't recall by whom -- to the effect that Penny might have babies someday. I immediately thought: Why Penny and not Diana? Is there some underlying assumption that would lead in that direction? It might be considered a basketball loss, or even a societal loss, if Diana's genes are never propagated.
pilight

PostPosted: 05/18/17 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Another thing that sparked my interest in same sex marriage practices was a comment in another thread -- I don't recall by whom -- to the effect that Penny might have babies someday. I immediately thought: Why Penny and not Diana? Is there some underlying assumption that would lead in that direction? It might be considered a basketball loss, or even a societal loss, if Diana's genes are never propagated.

In the short term it's because Diana is still playing and Penny isn't. Better to have D earning at full capacity, which she wouldn't be able to do if she was pregnant. Penny can be Director of Player Development practically right up to her due date. Diana would have to take time off from playing by the 4th or 5th month.

PostPosted: 05/18/17 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Congratulations to Diana Taurasi and Penny Taylor. They appear to be very much in love, and I hope that they get to enjoy a wonderful and happy life together.

Dude. Rodrigo is remarried with two kids already. Why exactly should we feel bad for him?

PostPosted: 05/18/17 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

In the short term it's because Diana is still playing and Penny isn't. Better to have D earning at full capacity, which she wouldn't be able to do if she was pregnant. Penny can be Director of Player Development practically right up to her due date. Diana would have to take time off from playing by the 4th or 5th month.

And its because Penny has said in interviews in the past that she wanted children

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/18/17 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

Dude. Rodrigo is remarried with two kids already. Why exactly should we feel bad for him?

1) because he's married
2) because he's got 2 kids
Razz

PostPosted: 05/18/17 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:

What, exactly, do you think I am assuming?

Quote:
Wouldn't empathy require that the other party articulate their pain?

I don't know why it would 'require' that? Can't I just empathize with someone whose marriage has failed? I mean, I empathize with Penny, too, but in her case, I can celebrate that she has moved on with the love of her life. I don't know that about Rodrigo, and my Google-fu is so weak, I wouldn't know how to find out. FWIW, when my best friend got remarried, I felt empathy for his first wife, even though she and I were never close. I just think it's unfortunate when a marriage ends, that's all: I don't really need to know whether or not the person is 'in pain' over it.

It seemed to me you were assuming that Rodrigo must be sad, heartbroken, verklempt etc. about this marriage. Empathy - as I understand it - means an effort to understand feelings that have been shared with you, privately or publicly, directly or indirectly. I didn't know Rodrigo had made any kind of statement of his thoughts on the marriage.

Sorry, I don't mean to get picky about semantics - I realize this can lead to some pretty awful and ultimately unproductive bickering online. I recognize I'm acting just like the posters I quickly scroll past and don't bother reading! I'll drop it now. All the best.

caune

PostPosted: 05/18/17 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
caune wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

1) because he's married
2) because he's got 2 kids
Razz
Laughing you never fail to make me laugh.

#NATC

PostPosted: 05/19/17 3:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

'I should be treated exactly the same as everyone else': Basketball great Penny Taylor calls for marriage equality
Quote:
In America and many other Western countries they are a married couple but in Australia they are not. And this is what has caused Taylor to speak out
"In many ways Australia is so progressive and I love my country yet in this one area we have fallen behind, quite frankly."

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/i-should-be-treated-exactly-the-same-as-everyone-else-basketball-great-penny-taylor-calls-for-marriage-equality-20170519-gw8wsx.html

--

Former Australian Opals captain Penny Taylor slams Australia’s lack of progression after marriage to Diana Taurasi
Quote:
I am an Australian. I grew up eating my Weet-Bix every morning. I adore the smell of eucalyptus. I say “no worries” about 1000 times a day.
I have taken immense pride in being a “tough Aussie”, representing my country around the world playing the sport I love. I’ve worn the green and gold at three Olympic Games and four world championships, competed in Europe and the WNBA in the US for over 15 years.
Yet, on the weekend, I married in a foreign country because, in the eyes of my own country, I am not equal. I am unable to marry the person I love and have it recognised equally under Australian law. We believe ourselves to be a progressive country. An accepting country. But until we ALL have equal rights, no more or less, this is untrue.
I look forward to a future where Australian children are raised knowing that, no matter who they love, they are a valid, included, and respected part of the fabric of Australia.
— PENNY TAYLOR

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/former-australian-opals-captain-penny-taylor-slams-australias-lack-of-progression-after-marriage-to-diana-taurasi/news-story/ec23ebf8daa90d5d5a5ba22634597274

--

Her ledgeness shows no sign of stopping even with her playing days behind her.

PostPosted: 05/19/17 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

Well, I didn't know that; like I said, my Google-fu is weak. Even so, I always feel bad when I hear that a marriage has failed.

Michelle89 wrote:

This, too, is deserving of empathy. This is most unfortunate, indeed.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Howee

PostPosted: 05/19/17 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

Wait. What?? How did Lauren get involved here?? Shocked

PostPosted: 05/20/17 12:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

Lauren and DT...

Lauren and Penny obviously grew up playing one another, good friends...

Howee

PostPosted: 05/20/17 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sammieee wrote:
Howee wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

Lauren and DT...

Mmmmmmyeah, no, I'm still not getting it. LJ and DT are no longer friends? Don't mean to be dense, but I thought all were pals.

PostPosted: 05/20/17 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
sammieee wrote:
Howee wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

Lauren and DT...

Mmmmmmyeah, no, I'm still not getting it. LJ and DT are no longer friends? Don't mean to be dense, but I thought all were pals.
Lauren was invited to the wedding. She tweeted out the invite. I would imagine that means they are all still friends, no?

PostPosted: 05/21/17 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
Howee wrote:
sammieee wrote:
Howee wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

Lauren and DT...

Lauren was invited to the wedding. She tweeted out the invite. I would imagine that means they are all still friends, no?

Laughing People don't even gossip well here....why all the innuendo? Just say what's implied, ferchrissake. Most of us here are over 12. Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: