18%
 18%  [ 13 ]
Washington Mystics
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 71

Mysticsfan12

PostPosted: 05/17/17 1:58 pm    ::: Best Team Name Reply Reply with quote

I saw an article yesterday that called the Wizards the "worst name in pro sports". It got me thinking, what are the best and worst names in the W? Vote below on the best, and share what you think the worst is, if there is one. Very Happy

PostPosted: 05/17/17 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I left the mystics out, but I'm guessing no one thinks that's a good name anyway ๐Ÿ˜‚

PostPosted: 05/17/17 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Best is clearly the Atlanta Dream, because I'm the one who came up with it Very Happy.

PostPosted: 05/17/17 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Among defunct/relocated WNBA teams, I like the Houston Comets.

PostPosted: 05/17/17 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Worst- Fever Laughing

toad455

PostPosted: 05/17/17 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Worst - Dallas Wings. Should have kept the Shock name.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 05/17/17 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mysticsfan12 wrote:
I left the mystics out, but I'm guessing no one thinks that's a good name anyway ๐Ÿ˜‚

Actually, Washington Mystics is a great name. It's my favorite among WNBA teams.

PostPosted: 05/17/17 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is an interesting poll because it has to do with the meaning, symbolism and euphonics of language, and language is more important than basketball.

I grew up in a universal age when all sports teams had names that were plural nouns. Hence, I still cringe at what I consider to be the faddish gimmickry of using singular nouns as team names.

My predilections thus leave me only with the plural Sparks, Stars and Wings in this poll.

I don't know the origin of the name "Sparks", but sparks are tiny and evanescent things, which don't scintillate me at all.

"Stars" is a bastardization of the earlier "Silver Stars", which was a bastardization of the former nomenclatural horror out of Utah, the "Starzz". I can't vote for a double bastardization of a horror.

That leave the "Wings" by process of elimination. But the name also has the virtue of brevity, ease of rolling off the tongue, animalistic parallelism, and mythological symbolism. The symbol of the Wings seems to be Pegasus, the flying horse. This parallels the Dallas Mavericks NBA team, which is named after unbranded cows. Pegasus has an interesting mythological history, having been sired by Poseidon and foaled by Medusa the Gorgon. Pegasus became the symbol of both wisdom and poetry.

"Wings" flies to the top.
pilight

PostPosted: 05/17/17 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I grew up in a universal age when all sports teams had names that were plural nouns. Hence, I still cringe at what I consider to be the faddish gimmickry of using singular nouns as team names.

My predilections thus leave me only with the plural Sparks, Stars and Wings in this poll.

I'm pretty sure the plural of Lynx is Lynx.

Quote:
I don't know the origin of the name "Sparks", but sparks are tiny and evanescent things, which don't scintillate me at all.

From WNBA: A Celebration

Quote:
Los Angeles President Johnny Buss's inspiration was from an unlikely source. With a final deadline approaching, Buss was discussing the nickname while on the phone with the WNBA. At the same time, Brandi Bratcher, who worked for Buss, was on the phone with her dad, who was a welder. He suggested Sparks because, he said, when welding, sparks will fly and the basketball team should do the same thing. Buss was sold.

PostPosted: 05/17/17 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Mysticsfan12 wrote:

Actually, Washington Mystics is a great name. It's my favorite among WNBA teams.

I actually like it too! But I'm an impossible homer too, so I'm boased

PostPosted: 05/17/17 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sparks fly and so should teams? Weak!

I realize "Lynx" can be both singular and plural, but this very fact gives me numerical cognitive dissonance -- aka, a headache.

Having realized after writing my response that "Mysticsfan" mystifyingly FORGOT about the Mystics in his or her own poll -- as did I -- I would vote for the Mystics over the Wings.

The worst of a bad lot of name is "Fever", which has a negative connotation is almost all usages.
sigur3

PostPosted: 05/17/17 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like the Seattle Storm. They have the whole alliteration thing going.

And I don't know about the Wizards having the worst name, but they might have the worst logo.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 05/17/17 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

"Wings" flies to the top.

I agree that plurals are a must. But I side with the Sparks. The Mystics is a play on the Wizards, the so-called worst name in sports. Glenn nailed it on the Stars. But where I pick the Sparks over the Wings is tradition. Great names grow over time so I can't pick a team that has been in existence only two years. The best team names in sports are the Canadiens, Packers, Yankees (and I say that as a die-hard Red Sox fan) and Celtics. I also admire that the Sparks didn't play off the name of their NBA brethren. And finally, the evanescent nature of Sparks is apt for the glitz of LA.

As for the worst, it has to be the Sun. This was the first head-on move into blurring nicknames and corporate interest in modern-day US sports.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/17/17 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
As for the worst, it has to be the Sun. This was the first head-on move into blurring nicknames and corporate interest in modern-day US sports.

The Anaheim Mighty Ducks preceded the Sun by a decade.

PostPosted: 05/17/17 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:

Ever heard of the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim?

PostPosted: 05/17/17 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like names that can be associated with the place where the team exists, so for me that's the Lynx, Liberty, and Storm. I voted Storm because it rolls nicely off the tongue.

On the other side, I really don't much like Wings, Stars, Dream, Fever, Mercury.... (the names, not nec. the teams)

The rest are kinda neutral for me. Sun would be ok except it's in Connecticut! Sky is marginally ok - at least it's short. Mystics somehow ok even though it's along the line of the don't much likes. I grew up anti-LA in my DNA but the Sparks seem ok for that team.

- Amanda Gorman
Randy

PostPosted: 05/17/17 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Most of the names are bad. They either have nothing to do with basketball, the city or women.

I voted for Dream, but it was homer vote. I think there is a really good argument for NY Liberty - it's about the city and about a female character, though has nothing to do with the sport.

Wings does have to do with a player/position, but nothing to do with the city that I am aware of.

Lynx is an animal that might be indigenous to MN, but I'm not sure of that. It is also possibly something to eat at game.

Names that strike out on all counts:

Fever, Sparks, Mystics and the astrological/atmospheric suite - Stars*, Suns, Storm, Mercury, and Sky. (Though I do like Storm best of that bunch.)

*Stolen from the Los Angels Stars of the ABA. Stars did have something to do with LA/Hollywood.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 05/17/17 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The names I like...
1. Los Angeles Sparks (I just like the name)
2. Connecticut Sun (because their home court is Mohegan Sun, so it ties into the name of the venue which I like)
3. Washington Mystics (because it was always fun calling them the Washington Mystakes)
4. Phoenix Mercury (because it means extreme heat and kinda fits in with Phoenix being sooo hot and desert like, also like the planet Mercury)
5. Atlanta Dream (the dream team, hello lol)
6. Seattle Storm (I like team names where both words start with the same letter, and it's always rainy in Seattle)

Names I think are stupid...
Chicago Sky (worst name in the league with the worst logo. I mean, it's named after the cities skyline )
Dallas Wings (while funny, chicken wings, it's just a stupid name)
San Antonio Stars (I liked this name much better when it was Silver Stars, had a better ring to it)
New York Liberty (I get its the Statue of Liberty and all things America but the name Liberty doesn't convey a sense of a strong powerful team name if that makes any sense)
Indiana Fever (This name just makes me sick. Who's bright idea was it to name a professional sports team an illness)
Minnesota Lynx (it just doesn't roll off the tongue very nicely)

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 05/17/17 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liberty got my vote. Great symbolism as the Statue of Liberty is our nation's largest monument and female.

Can't vote for the Storm name after the perfection of the Seattle Reign (rain).

We could have a separate vote for worst logo. I'd vote for the Mystics logo every day and twice on Sunday. I like the name but the logo (to me) is like fingernails on a blackboard (you young'uns will have to do some research to understand the horridness of that sound). That's how much I detest their logo.

~rAf
pilight

PostPosted: 05/17/17 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:

San Antonio Stars (I liked this name much better when it was Silver Stars, had a better ring to it)

Silver Stars was a much better name. SASS is a great acronym for a WNBA team.

PostPosted: 05/17/17 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Among defunct/relocated WNBA teams, I like the Houston Comets.

I liked the name Miami Sol.

PostPosted: 05/17/17 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Among all WNBA teams; current, defunct & relocated.

1. New York Liberty Very Happy
2. Washington Mystics
3. Seattle Storm
4. Orlando Miracle
5. Los Angeles Sparks
6. Houston Comets
7. Chicago Sky
8. Detroit/Tulsa Shock
9. Cleveland Rockers
10. Charlotte Sting
11. Miami Sol
12. Minnesota Lynx
13. Portland Fire
14. Sacramento Monarchs
15. Phoenix Mercury
16. Atlanta Dream
17. Indiana Fever
18. San Antonio Stars
19. Connecticut Sun
20. Dallas Wings
21. Utah/San Antonio Starzz

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 05/17/17 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Favorite all time NBA team name: Baltimore Bullets.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/17/17 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Favorite : New York Liberty...Powerful Name that cant be forgotten
Worst : My Own Dallas Wings...Anybody Got Some Ranch? #EnoughSaid smh #DallasDiamonds should have been the name imo

PostPosted: 05/17/17 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like names that are plurals. (It's something I almost always do whenever I create names for fictional teams.)

That being said, I have more than a passing fondness for the Liberty and the Storm as team names, ditto for the Sol. And I actually do like that bastardization Starzz, if only because it blended Utah's history so well. (ABA Stars + NBA Jazz)

Sun, Sky, and Fever are my least favorites. (Though Sun came in handy once upon a time... for some reason, my bridesmaid from Seattle sporfled when my wedding vows included "come sun or come storm".)

(now with spelling variations)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: