RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Erin Phillips retires from WNBA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
animals31089

PostPosted: 05/14/17 9:58 am    ::: Erin Phillips retires from WNBA Reply Reply with quote

According to twitter she has retired from the WNBA not really a suprised after getting cut

toad455

PostPosted: 05/14/17 10:06 am    ::: Re: Erin Phillips retires from WNBA Reply Reply with quote

animals31089 wrote:
According to twitter she has retired from the WNBA not really a suprised after getting cut

There's clearly something more here she's not telling us. She was expecting to play this season, so likely it was more the fact that no one wanted her vet salary.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
myrtle

PostPosted: 05/14/17 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sad Crying or Very sad

- Amanda Gorman
jap

PostPosted: 05/14/17 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Aussie Amazon has hung up her WNBA kicks? She was a hard, physical worker with a solid decent streak. I loved how she refereed the 'dispute' between Candace and Glory Johnson last season when CP3 thought Glory had hit Chelsea really hard on purpose and CP3 was threatening to go all gangster on Glory. Erin pulled Candace aside to inform that it was she [Erin herself] who had accidentally clocked Chelsea. Candace hugged Glory apologetically after the game.

PostPosted: 05/14/17 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I find it hard to believe no other team was interested in bringing her in. Mostly Phoenix & Chicago.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
jap

PostPosted: 05/14/17 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I find it hard to believe no other team was interested in bringing her in. Mostly Phoenix & Chicago.

They may be interested later on as injuries start piling up. I suppose Erin just wanted to move on with her life rather than just hang around waiting for indefinite maybe's.

PostPosted: 05/14/17 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Why do you want Phoenix to pick her up, she left Phoenix on her own two years ago so why would they bring her back, they don't need another guard they're set with their lineup,maybe you don't like their lineup but they're ok with it!

justintyme

PostPosted: 05/14/17 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Poor HarryHoops.

PostPosted: 05/14/17 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
The Aussie Amazon has hung up her WNBA kicks? She was a hard, physical worker with a solid decent streak. I loved how she refereed the 'dispute' between Candace and Glory Johnson last season when CP3 thought Glory had hit Chelsea really hard on purpose and CP3 was threatening to go all gangster on Glory. Erin pulled Candace aside to inform that it was she [Erin herself] who had accidentally clocked Chelsea. Candace hugged Glory apologetically after the game.

Thanks for sharing. I too will miss her grittiness.

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 05/14/17 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I always liked her play, since her first year with Conn.
I always wished she would be on The New York Liberty.

Whatever happens I wish her all the best

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/14/17 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Definitely a tough, streaky, bold player who was quite entertaining when on her game. I would have welcomed her on NY in prior years, though this year I feel they're better off going with what they have. That said, there's got to be a team who could still use her this year I would think.

PostPosted: 05/15/17 1:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sad to hear that she is retiring. Another aussie gone Confused

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
hyperetic

PostPosted: 05/15/17 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Reports are that she decided to hang up hoops in lieu of going for a career in rugby. Her choice.
tfan

PostPosted: 05/17/17 7:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nInwJaGQfF4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quote:
What's it like standing so close to someone living your dream?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/72RyaHH4oek" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8q6dMex5VWs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tfan

PostPosted: 05/17/17 7:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Reports are that she decided to hang up hoops in lieu of going for a career in rugby. Her choice.

Seems like she could have done both and she says that the womens rugby in Australia is only a part-time job. Although she was league MVP so her situation may be different.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/17/17 7:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's not rugby that she plays, it is Australian Rules Football. Totally different sport.
The first ever women's national league season just finished here a few months ago. It was only a 2 month, 8 team league, but it was a success, and Erin got more love & recognition down here in that short time than she did her entire basketballing career, so it would be no surprise if she wanted to continue that. (although there is zero clash with the WNBA season, so there's nothing footy-related that is stopping her playing basketball this year, and in fact the Opals are now probably looking at getting her involved in the program this year, as they have the FIBA Asia tournament in July and could probably use her experience with Leilani in Phoenix)
Basketball is still a frustratingly minor sport here.

PostPosted: 05/17/17 8:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They used to show Australian Rules Football on ESPN back in the 1980's before ESPN was the big thing it is now. There was a very old woman in my apartment complex who loved watching it and she told me with a laugh that it was because she loved "watching those athletic young men run around in their shorts".

Last edited by tfan on 05/17/17 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/17/17 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
They used to show Australian Rules Football on ESPN back in the 1980's before ESPN was the big thing it is now. I didn't have cable but I remember the women in my apartment complex chuckling about a very old woman who loved watching AFL for an openly stated reason of enjoying watching "those athletic young men run around in shorts".

Haha ... when I type "Warwick Capper" (80's footy star) into google, the first suggestion that comes up is Warwick Capper Shorts
I doubt the 80's shorts will ever be back, but AFL still manages to maintain a strong female fan base.

PostPosted: 05/17/17 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Erin!!! I'll miss watching you play ball

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 05/22/17 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://wings.wnba.com/news/erin-phillips-joins-dallas-wings-director-player-franchise-development/

hangtyme24

PostPosted: 05/22/17 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats Erin.

PostPosted: 05/22/17 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Erin, but I thought she was going to join an Aussie Rules Football team. Or their season will not interfere with her new duties with the Wings?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: