RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Taurasi signs long-term deal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 05/16/17 1:47 pm    ::: Taurasi signs long-term deal Reply Reply with quote

So did Penny write the contract?

PostPosted: 05/16/17 2:12 pm    ::: Re: Taurasi signs long-term deal Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

I think she recused herself. She's trying to set a good example for the people in Washington.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/16/17 2:25 pm    ::: Re: Taurasi signs long-term deal Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

any details ?

PostPosted: 05/16/17 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/19396640/diana-taurasi-signs-multi-year-extension-phoenix-mercury

PostPosted: 05/16/17 2:47 pm    ::: Re: Taurasi signs long-term deal Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

any details ?

According to Howard

Quote:
Diana Taurasi and the Phoenix Mercury have agreed to a max deal through the 2020 season, The Summitt has learned.

The addition to her contract will keep Taurasi in Phoenix beyond her 38th birthday, all but assuring that she’ll finish her career on the same team that drafted her with the top overall pick in the 2004 WNBA draft. She’ll earn $113,500 in 2017, $115,500 in 2018, $117,500 in 2019 and $119,500 in 2020.

It also keeps her in the conversation for the 2020 USA Basketball team’s Olympic run, contra the belief that she and Sue Bird had played their final games for the national team.

http://summitthoops.com/2017/05/16/analysis-details-diana-taurasi-mercury/amp/

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/16/17 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's not like there's much to write. It's a max deal for as long as DT wanted. Basically a choice between 2 or 3 years.

Having said that, it actually gets much more dubious if she signed for the vet minimum. Because they can pay Penny whatever they like now she's in the front office...

PostPosted: 05/16/17 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
It's not like there's much to write. It's a max deal for as long as DT wanted. Basically a choice between 2 or 3 years.

Can't they do four when you re-sign with your old team?

PostPosted: 05/16/17 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I do not believe she has the energy or will to play for those extra years. She just got married for the first time in her life. I would be shocked if she played beyond 2018.

PostPosted: 05/16/17 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Can't they do four when you re-sign with your old team?

You can sign with your old team for four as a free agent, or extend a rookie scale deal to a max of four in the aggregate, but you can't extend for four more when you're already under contract.

In fact, the way I read pages 36-37 of the CBA makes the contract Megdal describes illegal. He's also got at least one of the numbers wrong, but that's hardly a surprise.

PostPosted: 05/16/17 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
I do believe she has the energy or will to play for those extra years. She just got married for the first time in her life. I would be shocked if played beyond 2018.

Speaking on the most unpredictable player in the WNBA , nothing would suprise me . Maybe she plays this year sits out to rest next year and finishes the last 2 seasons strong and go out with an olympic record 5 Gold Medals. Wait how many did Dawn have maybe its not a record , but still unprecedented.

PostPosted: 05/16/17 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Taurasi has talked about hoping to continue to play possibly through the 2020 Summer Olympics, when she would be 38. She said her contract with Russian team UMMC Ekaterinburg ends after this coming winter, and she expects she will be done playing overseas after that."

Just talking about that..I'll be interested in seeing what she does with her free time.

PostPosted: 05/16/17 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A lot can happen in 3 years but it certainly looks like DT is looking to go to one more Olympics. She could be the Catch of 2020.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/17/17 12:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
"Taurasi has talked about hoping to continue to play possibly through the 2020 Summer Olympics, when she would be 38. She said her contract with Russian team UMMC Ekaterinburg ends after this coming winter, and she expects she will be done playing overseas after that."

Just talking about that..I'll be interested in seeing what she does with her free time.

Penny might have a baby so spending time with her family probably

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
miller40

PostPosted: 05/17/17 8:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
I do not believe she has the energy or will to play for those extra years. She just got married for the first time in her life. I would be shocked if she played beyond 2018.

Same.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/17/17 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Same.

It's simply wishful thinking. if she's done playing overseas, I'll give her until 2019. Her passion for the game doesn't seem to be there anymore.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ClayK

PostPosted: 05/17/17 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
miller40 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Same.

It's simply wishful thinking. if she's done playing overseas, I'll give her until 2019. Her passion for the game doesn't seem to be there anymore.

On the other hand, if she quits playing overseas, she may be more excited about the WNBA. I can envision a scenario where she plays in the WNBA as long as her body can hold up because she'll have eight months a year to do something else.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: