RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Kelsey Plum and the audacity of hoops

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 05/16/17 11:07 am    ::: Kelsey Plum and the audacity of hoops Reply Reply with quote

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/19389966

Quote:
She lives for moments like last July, when she challenged John Ross, Washington's star wide receiver and eventual top-10 2017 NFL draft pick, to go one-on-one because "guys think they can just take girls in a game." ("They think if they yell 'Steph Curry' before they shoot," she says, "they have a better chance.") She beat Ross 11-2. "John's broke!" she says now with a laugh. "He. Cannot. Shoot. To. Save. His. Life."

PostPosted: 05/16/17 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kelsey is exactly what the WNBA needed, at this very moment.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/16/17 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just cocky enough. She's a good headliner. Now hopefully she will show up as well on the floor. I loved the comment about looking to score on DT.

As for the guys, even back in my day where we weren't nearly as athletic as these girls, I used to regularly beat one of the guys who went on to play (briefly) in the NBA at horse. The rest of the guys would rag on him about 'getting beat by a girl' but to his credit he just said, 'well, I don't see you volunteering to play her.' Of course we had also agreed to no dunks but he did sometimes resort to circus shots.

- Amanda Gorman
Pants

PostPosted: 05/16/17 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I loved the comment about looking to score on DT.

That will hardly be an accomplishment...we all know the "D" in DT does not stand for defense.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/16/17 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pants wrote:
myrtle wrote:

That will hardly be an accomplishment...we all know the "D" in DT does not stand for defense.

But still a thrill for someone who gets to score against their idol.

- Amanda Gorman
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 05/16/17 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whatever happened to that RG3 vs Brittney Griner Dunk Competition? Question

"She will never dunk on me.."
Idea

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 05/17/17 1:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Plum first met Taurasi after a game at UCLA, a meeting arranged by Coach Valley.

The Details: Plum To Bird – ‘I’m Going To Be Like You’

Quote:
Plum would finish with 32 points, but the Huskies lost the game.

"I was bummed, because I really wanted to win for Diana," Plum said.

When the game ended, Plum faced one more challenge. How was she going to introduce herself to Taurasi?

"I walked out and thought, 'just keep it super cool, just say hi, introduce yourself," Plum said. "I've been taught from a young age, you can admire people, but don't idolize anyone. If you want to be there, get there, but don't break down and cry. We don't do that."

So, after composing herself, she left the locker room, walked up to Taurasi and tried to remain calm. Then Taurasi did something Plum wasn't expecting.

"Plummer!" Taurasi shouted, before wrapping her up in a big hug.

This is so Taurasi. Laughing

Hoops9092 wrote:
Kelsey is exactly what the WNBA needed, at this very moment.

Part of me is glad that Kelsey did not land on the Storm. I mean, she would have been a great fit for the Storm--being able to continue learning from Sue, and her familiarity with Stewie. But as a Husky...I should say, as a UW Husky, I'm glad she has this opportunity to go somewhere new and to reach a new fanbase. It was so hard to watch her college career end and to know she was leaving, but it's so much better for the WNBA that she gets to introduce herself to a new city. San Antonio fans will quickly learn for themselves, if they haven't already learned, what UW fans know to be true: Plum is an immense talent and an immense personality.

She is as competitive as they come and as hard a worker as they come. She has always had that. It took her some time to learn how to be a team player, but she did figure it out. Once upon a time, she was a doubted freshman captain who walked home from the gym alone in the rain and never spoke with Chantel Osahor. But she grew up. She built a trust and an understanding with her teammates, including Osahor. The new heights UW reached in the past couple of seasons only became possible because the Huskies trusted each other and played as one. Her teammates love and respect her. Opponents respect her. Fans and members of the media absolutely adore her because of the way she treats them. That's who she is. The basketball community in San Antonio will soon see.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 05/18/17 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some interesting comments that can be fact checked which I am currently doing with the booster Stanford fans that always sit behind the Stanford bench Wink Can't say I was a fan and don't know anyone who is from the circle, found her to be a little divaish, did a lot of complaining to the refs even though she got a lot of calls no-one else did. Maybe I just prefer the demeanor of a Nneka.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: