PostPosted: 05/15/17 12:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dallas annihilates Phoenix on boards as rookie Davis dominates

pilight

PostPosted: 05/15/17 12:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That was one ugly came Twitter got treated to

PostPosted: 05/15/17 6:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Dallas annihilates Phoenix on boards as rookie Davis dominates

41-17. Griner got 2 boards. Robinson got 3.

Honeymoon hangover for DT I guess.

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/15/17 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is hard for me to believe that box score -- 17 rebounds? There were 66 missed field goal attempts, and 10 missed free throws. Assume half the missed free throws were the first of two ... that's a total of 71 rebounds that must be accounted for.

41+17=58, so 13 rebounds went out of bounds without being credited to an individual player. Possible, but unlikely.

In addition, despite having that rebounding edge (and minus three in turnovers), Dallas only took six more shots.

Kaela Davis had big games at South Carolina, but her problem at that level was doing so every time out. So far, though, she's proving me wrong as that's an impressive debut. Then again, Theresa Plaisance was 5-8 from the field, so does that mean she's going to average double figures?

PostPosted: 05/15/17 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

Or maybe it's just a tough ask to play your best the day after your wedding.

yeah, considering how she looked in Europe, I was going to make a smart remark about not needing dentists, but now I'll give her a pass on this one.

- Amanda Gorman
Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/15/17 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
It is hard for me to believe that box score -- 17 rebounds? There were 66 missed field goal attempts, and 10 missed free throws. Assume half the missed free throws were the first of two ... that's a total of 71 rebounds that must be accounted for.

41+17=58, so 13 rebounds went out of bounds without being credited to an individual player. Possible, but unlikely.

Those would be 'team rebounds', which are always higher in the WNBA than NBA for whatever reason. I count 12 in the play-by-play (not including the stupid ones they always list on dead balls after the first of multiple free throws), so that's about right. They used to list team rebounds in the box scores, but that seems to be something we've lost both at WNBA.com and ESPN.com in recent years.

PostPosted: 05/15/17 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Kaela Davis had big games at South Carolina, but her problem at that level was doing so every time out. So far, though, she's proving me wrong as that's an impressive debut. Then again, Theresa Plaisance was 5-8 from the field, so does that mean she's going to average double figures?

Laughing Yeah,Plaisance had a very similar performance in last years season opener vs indiana...12 points on 5-8 fg....However,Davis passes the eye test.She's a legit 5 star talent,hard worker,and team player with a great attitude.Hopefully when Powers returns,Davis continues to get consistent minutes.

Maybe dallas can get their hands on Dolson...Christmas & 2017 2nd pick for Dolson.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/15/17 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Laughing Yeah,Plaisance had a very similar performance in last years season opener vs indiana...12 points on 5-8 fg....However,Davis passes the eye test.She's a legit 5 star talent,hard worker,and team player with a great attitude.Hopefully when Powers returns,Davis continues to get consistent minutes.

Maybe dallas can get their hands on Dolson...Christmas & 2017 2nd pick for Dolson.

What would chi need with Christmas though ? & Id prefer Coates over dolson tbh . Never been a fan of her hype as a player skill wise but i love her personality though .

PostPosted: 05/15/17 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

What would chi need with Christmas though ? & Id prefer Coates over dolson tbh . Never been a fan of her hype as a player skill wise but i love her personality though .

With Young now coming off the bench,Chicago needs a starting sf.Plus the sky would get a 2nd rd pick(Vivians ?).Pondexter's on her last leg.If I were chicago,i'd hold out for Gray,or put together a package to get Johnson.Coates would cost dallas Gray or Powers.That's too steep of a price for a player i'm not totally sold on.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/15/17 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

With Young now coming off the bench,Chicago needs a starting sf.Plus the sky would get a 2nd rd pick(Vivians ?).Pondexter's on her last leg.If I were chicago,i'd hold out for Gray,or put together a package to get Johnson.Coates would cost dallas Gray or Powers.That's too steep of a price for a player i'm not totally sold on.

T.Young could easily become the Starting SF once this big line up fails epically. Vivians with hype i see , not sold on her game making an impact at the W level tbh . I Do agree that coates would cost us Gray Or Powers , Unless we get the #1 pick then Gray for Coates would be sufficient imo.

PostPosted: 05/15/17 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

T.Young could easily become the Starting SF once this big line up fails epically. Vivians with hype i see , not sold on her game making an impact at the W level tbh . I Do agree that coates would cost us Gray Or Powers , Unless we get the #1 pick then Gray for Coates would be sufficient imo.

Coach Stocks demoting Young to the bench tells me she's not confident with Tamera being the starting sf.Hopefully Stocks has a change of heart.Ditto on Vivians...I never got the hype,but chicago isn't the smartest organization.Maybe Vivians has a breakout season and ends up going top 5 in the draft. Smile

RavenDog

PostPosted: 05/15/17 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

In addition, despite having that rebounding edge (and minus three in turnovers), Dallas only took six more shots.

You have to take into consideration the coaching style and game plans when judging a player in college. Once Coates became injured, the game plan had to change from one dimensional, i.e., continually pounding the ball inside and blocking out for Coates and Wilson to take care of the boards and score. Once changed, USC become multi-dimensional and more dynamic and it gave Davis and Gray more of an opportunity to show what they could do and they both did . Again, it's not always what you see and a player's statistics. Staley runs the show. You play by her rules, her way or you don't play.

I have no idea how the GM's before the number 10 pick passed her up. They simply didn't do their homework well enough.

Randy

PostPosted: 05/15/17 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis may become the steal of the draft, or perhaps come back to earth before long. I recall that Shoni and Natasha Howard had some of their best games during the first weeks of their rookie seasons. While Shoni never played that well (not counting the ASG), Howard did eventually become a solid performer. When a rookie comes in opposing teams don't have scouting reports. But once they do, the player will be defended a lot better. Plus, Davis has always been a streaky shooter, so there is reason not to get too excited.....yet. (For Fred's sake I hope she does great.)

Speebs56

PostPosted: 05/15/17 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Speebs56 wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Meyers-D said that Paris averaged double-doubles all the time at Oklahoma. What exactly does that mean?

Paris had mostly double digit scoring and rebounding in her 4 years at Oklahoma. Something crazy like over 100 double doubles.

I know what she meant to say, but how can you average double doubles all the time in college. Is "all the time" four times (out of four)? She could have said that she averaged a double-double in college, or she had double-doubles all the time. But you cannot say that she averaged double-doubles all the time.

Oh! I just attribute that to Annie MD's inability to articulate ANYTHING clearly....her errors are constant. In this game she mentioned Gray's work in NCAA final against MICHIGAN State -- and later repeated exactly what the play by play announcer had said seconds earlier. Either she doesn't pay attention or she just runs on at the mouth.

Sorry if my response earlier didn't get your question.
Embarassed

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/15/17 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Davis may become the steal of the draft, or perhaps come back to earth before long. I recall that Shoni and Natasha Howard had some of their best games during the first weeks of their rookie seasons. While Shoni never played that well (not counting the ASG), Howard did eventually become a solid performer. When a rookie comes in opposing teams don't have scouting reports. But once they do, the player will be defended a lot better. Plus, Davis has always been a streaky shooter, so there is reason not to get too excited.....yet. (For Fred's sake I hope she does great.)

Same with Tiffany Mitchell last year. A bunch of rookies tend to explode out of the box, then cool off once other teams have tape and scouting reports on them. The best ones are good enough to beat the defense anyway, or smart enough to evolve their games and make themselves more difficult to defend.

On another note from above, as I mentioned elsewhere, I don't see why Chicago would be all that interested in Christmas. They have Young and Copper already, plus Stocks is following Chatman's lead in trying to make Breland a 3 as well. Much as I like Christmas, she's really not much of an upgrade on the options already available.

PostPosted: 05/15/17 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Suprised no one has spoke about chongs egg laid in game 1 of her pro career. 0,0 & 0 & 3 turnovers in 12 mins of play ? Shocked

PostPosted: 05/15/17 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah - she is killing the "Chong is the new Stokes" narrative quickly.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/15/17 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Yeah - she is killing the "Chong is the new Stokes" narrative quickly.

Its dead for sure now Laughing

PostPosted: 05/15/17 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No room for Chong on my fantasy team. I will give Davis some consideration though.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 05/15/17 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Half the Mercury were probably hungover Laughing

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/15/17 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:
her head just isn't in the game anymore.

But it is when she's in Russia? The very last game she played, all of two weeks ago, she lit Kursk up for 33 to carry UMMC to the Russian title in a deciding game.

She just can't do it as easily or as often any more.

Maybe it's all about the $$$.

Or maybe at her age, she just can't do it year round anymore..particularly when the league that pays the least is the most physical. Sue had to make a decision a few years from now, and IMO, Diana's going to have to make one as well. Does she want to make more money or does she want to play at home?

Agree though, one of the worst I've seen from her.

Sandy is terrible too. Seriously, what happened to Lyttle. (her and Robinson were positives...)

The team has potential, but Griner is going to have to play like an MVP this season, Sandy is going to have to play the right players (at the right time) and Diana is going to need to get her head out of her ass.

I don't buy the age argument for Diana's play in less meaningful games vs. big games. She turned it up in the playoffs last year over here too, and had some games in Russia where she looked like she was going through the motions. I get that she will turn it up in big games, but...

Age isn't an excuse for shooting flat-footed off-balance contested jumpers. If she isn't physically up to that day-in and day-out, fine. But then pass the ball to someone who is physically capable instead of throwing away possessions for your team. You can be aging but still play as though you have a functioning brain. Diana is a high IQ player. There's no reason for her not to play like that even when she isn't physically feeling it or the games are less important.

Didn't she once say she gets "bored' with basketball or something to that effect? I think that's much closer to the reality than anything. Not saying age hasn't worn her down. Just saying if so, there's better ways to handle it than playing the way she did yesterday. Fewer minutes, fewer plays running through her, etc. I just don't think she feels challenged by the day-to-day grind of basketball anymore, until the games really count for something.

Regarding Bird, Bird is older than Diana and has torn her ACL. She still plays as hard as she can every night.

PostPosted: 05/15/17 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Regarding Bird, Bird is older than Diana and has torn her ACL. She still plays as hard as she can every night.

Not sure Bird would look better on the day after her wedding and nursing a hangover.

- Amanda Gorman
mercfan3

PostPosted: 05/15/17 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:
her head just isn't in the game anymore.

But it is when she's in Russia? The very last game she played, all of two weeks ago, she lit Kursk up for 33 to carry UMMC to the Russian title in a deciding game.

She just can't do it as easily or as often any more.

Maybe it's all about the $$$.

Or maybe at her age, she just can't do it year round anymore..particularly when the league that pays the least is the most physical. Sue had to make a decision a few years from now, and IMO, Diana's going to have to make one as well. Does she want to make more money or does she want to play at home?

Agree though, one of the worst I've seen from her.

Sandy is terrible too. Seriously, what happened to Lyttle. (her and Robinson were positives...)

The team has potential, but Griner is going to have to play like an MVP this season, Sandy is going to have to play the right players (at the right time) and Diana is going to need to get her head out of her ass.

I don't buy the age argument for Diana's play in less meaningful games vs. big games. She turned it up in the playoffs last year over here too, and had some games in Russia where she looked like she was going through the motions. I get that she will turn it up in big games, but...

Age isn't an excuse for shooting flat-footed off-balance contested jumpers. If she isn't physically up to that day-in and day-out, fine. But then pass the ball to someone who is physically capable instead of throwing away possessions for your team. You can be aging but still play as though you have a functioning brain. Diana is a high IQ player. There's no reason for her not to play like that even when she isn't physically feeling it or the games are less important.

Didn't she once say she gets "bored' with basketball or something to that effect? I think that's much closer to the reality than anything. Not saying age hasn't worn her down. Just saying if so, there's better ways to handle it than playing the way she did yesterday. Fewer minutes, fewer plays running through her, etc. I just don't think she feels challenged by the day-to-day grind of basketball anymore, until the games really count for something.

No. She absolutely didn't.

People at Diana's age need a break. My point with Sue was simply that Sue made the decision to only play in the US. I think, if she wants to prolong her career..Diana's going to need to make a decision to play one place over the other at some point in the near future.

Again, wedding night and nursing a hangover. If she's playing this way for the next couple games..then we can talk about it..but I think we should give her a break for this one game.

PostPosted: 05/15/17 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
No. She absolutely didn't.

People at Diana's age need a break. My point with Sue was simply that Sue made the decision to only play in the US. I think, if she wants to prolong her career..Diana's going to need to make a decision to play one place over the other at some point in the near future.

Again, wedding night and nursing a hangover. If she's playing this way for the next couple games..then we can talk about it..but I think we should give her a break for this one game.

So we're ignoring the, ooh, 70% of last season she played like she didn't really give a shit?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: