RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

RUMOR: Sealed Indictment Granted Against Donald Trump

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 05/14/17 7:59 pm    ::: RUMOR: Sealed Indictment Granted Against Donald Trump Reply Reply with quote

If this is true, we'll know soon enough.

PostPosted: 05/14/17 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To start with, (1) indictments are returned by grand juries, not by courts. The Fifth Amendment provides in pertinent part "No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury,".

(2) The sole function of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court is to review Government petitions for permission to conduct electronic surveillance. These are regular district court judges who serve part time on the FISC for this one purpose and spend most of their time as normal judges in their home Districts. The FISC does not oversee grand juries.

So while I suppose it's theoretically possible, albeit incredibly unlikely, that an actual grand jury sitting somewhere could have returned an indictment, the claim as tweeted is nonsense.

It's frustrating that clowns like this continue to provide Trump all the ammunition he needs for his constant harping about Fake News.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/15/17 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The "authors" of this rumor have apparently recognized the foolishness of their "FISA Court indictment" nonsense, and have now modified their rumor to say the indictment was returned by a grand jury in the Eastern District of Virginia. At least this one is theoretically possible legally. But I'm not holding my breath.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/15/17 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

It's frustrating that clowns like this continue to provide Trump all the ammunition he needs for his constant harping about Fake News.

This.

Howee

PostPosted: 05/15/17 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Yes. Orrr. Maybe not. See, I'm cynical enough to believe Trump & Co. might generate stories like the above on their own. "Fake News" is just the perfect subterfuge to distract from Reality, and if other parties didn't create enough of it, Trump himself WOULD.

PostPosted: 05/15/17 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Yes. Orrr. Maybe not. See, I'm cynical enough to believe Trump & Co. might generate stories like the above on their own. "Fake News" is just the perfect subterfuge to distract from Reality, and if other parties didn't create enough of it, Trump himself WOULD.

Doing that would not be consistent with Trump's personality. He does not accept being the butt of the joke, even if it would be strategically smart. And doing this is so convoluted that one would be hard pressed to see any true advantage in it.

PostPosted: 05/15/17 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Howee wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Doing that would not be consistent with Trump's personality. He does not accept being the butt of the joke, even if it would be strategically smart. And doing this is so convoluted that one would be hard pressed to see any true advantage in it.

Exactly...his team spent all of last week trying to convince everyone that firing Comey was not his idea...and Donald shot himself in the foot.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: