RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

2018 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 2860
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/27/17 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I think Gabby will be an outstanding pro...but do think she needs to work on extending her range.


This is my biggest concern with her, as well. In 3 years at UConn, she is 1-7 from 3 (1-6 this past season). Interested to see how that develops this upcoming season.


Gabby has below average shooting touch from all distances other than post-move layups, which she can finish at an above average rate due to her ambidextrous athleticism. For example, she shot a mediocre 72% on FT's this past season, which, however, was a big improvment from the 46% in her freshman season.

Unless the 5-11 Gabby can get a very high percentage of paint layups in the pros as she has been able to do in college, I don't see her college performance so far as presaging a high scorer in the W.

I'm not sure Gabby's an elite defender. She certainly has above average reflexes and speed, but most of the "great defense" that people recall I suspect are retinal memories of her breakaways after gambling steals.

I'm surprised to hear Maya referred to as an elite defender, but I don't see the Lynx much so I'll defer to others.

What Gabby will know is team defense. In my opinion, Geno Auriemma teaches better team defense than any other coach I've seen in college or pro. However, do W teams even play team defense? Again, I'll defer, though I do remember what's-his-name's "white line".

Even given all that, even if she can't improve her shot, isn't she basically Alyssa Thomas?



This...



_________________
2-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-2-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 19742



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/27/17 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
@ myrtle....you're right.I was too harsh on Clark.Using the word abused was too much.I edited my post.


I was thinking that judging any of them on well they defend Angel or Maya is a bit harsh, since I think those two can score pretty much anytime/anywhere against anybody if they put their mind to it, and especially if the refs are calling the game in their favor, which is usually the case.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 19742



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/27/17 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I think Gabby will be an outstanding pro...but do think she needs to work on extending her range.


This is my biggest concern with her, as well. In 3 years at UConn, she is 1-7 from 3 (1-6 this past season). Interested to see how that develops this upcoming season.


Gabby has below average shooting touch from all distances other than post-move layups, which she can finish at an above average rate due to her ambidextrous athleticism. For example, she shot a mediocre 72% on FT's this past season, which, however, was a big improvment from the 46% in her freshman season.

Unless the 5-11 Gabby can get a very high percentage of paint layups in the pros as she has been able to do in college, I don't see her college performance so far as presaging a high scorer in the W.

I'm not sure Gabby's an elite defender. She certainly has above average reflexes and speed, but most of the "great defense" that people recall I suspect are retinal memories of her breakaways after gambling steals.

I'm surprised to hear Maya referred to as an elite defender, but I don't see the Lynx much so I'll defer to others.

What Gabby will know is team defense. In my opinion, Geno Auriemma teaches better team defense than any other coach I've seen in college or pro. However, do W teams even play team defense? Again, I'll defer, though I do remember what's-his-name's "white line".

Even given all that, even if she can't improve her shot, isn't she basically Alyssa Thomas?



This...


Alyssa is a good player even though she is somewhat offensively challenged. I think Gabby is similar but a bit better in just about every category. And for pure athleticism, she's way out in front of anybody else I can think of in the moment. Her athleticism is simply off the charts. Combine that with her overall bball smarts, excellent passing ability and you have a heckova player. I want her on my team anytime...



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 7933



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/28/17 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My impression of Gabby Williams is that she is a much better athlete than Alyssa Thomas, or most WNBA players, and so has a chance to be very good. If she can translate that athleticism into a consistent outside shot, she should be an impact player; if not, she might be able to do what Danielle Robinson did and construct a career out of athleticism and a limited tool kit.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
LibFan25



Joined: 01 Sep 2012
Posts: 82
Location: Yonkers, NY


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/14/17 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This draft intrigues me so much, when you look at it as whole its very deep, for example i look at a player like Victoria Vivians she has the potential to be a top 5 pick. Her size and frame are ideal for an off guard in the pros. She has great range on her jumper and can create her own shot, but she has very bad shot selection and can disappear in games. If she becomes more selective as a shooter and improves her decision making, her stock could rise easy.


toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 13060



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/14/17 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vivians ain't a first round pick right now.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 2860
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/15/17 8:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Vivians ain't a first round pick right now.


+1 Laughing



_________________
2-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-2-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
LibFan25



Joined: 01 Sep 2012
Posts: 82
Location: Yonkers, NY


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/15/17 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Vivians ain't a first round pick right now.


Right now yes i agree but alot can change come next year im just sayin she has the potential.


WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 2860
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/15/17 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Vivians ain't a first round pick right now.


Right now yes i agree but alot can change come next year im just sayin she has the potential.


I do agree that she does have the potential but with the entries in next years draft it will be hard for her to crack the top 5 . Deshields , Wilson , Mitchell , Gabby , Canada , Russell , Billings , Possibly Turner , L. Brown , Scaife & McCowan all have just as much potential though . If she develops some discipline with her decision making i can see her rising to late 1st Round.



_________________
2-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-2-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
LibFan25



Joined: 01 Sep 2012
Posts: 82
Location: Yonkers, NY


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/15/17 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Vivians ain't a first round pick right now.


Right now yes i agree but alot can change come next year im just sayin she has the potential.


I do agree that she does have the potential but with the entries in next years draft it will be hard for her to crack the top 5 . Deshields , Wilson , Mitchell , Gabby , Canada , Russell , Billings , Possibly Turner , L. Brown , Scaife & McCowan all have just as much potential though . If she develops some discipline with her decision making i can see her rising to late 1st Round.


She will be the wild card im tellin u ive games where she can score in bunches. She will be in the conversation. But i aint gonna lie that list is Murderers Row lol id be happy with any of these players for the libs


basketballologist



Joined: 05 Aug 2013
Posts: 125



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/15/17 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will there be expansion in 2018


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 7933



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/15/17 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A) Let's hope not, given the lack of depth on the rosters, and in the league. Remember that the top six (or maybe seven) on each roster would be protected, so take seven through 12 on each roster and see what that puts on the floor.

B) Even if there was enough talent, an announcement would have to be made almost immediately to give the new franchise time to get ready.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 2860
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/15/17 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
Will there be expansion in 2018



i wish , but i wouldn't
hold my breath .



_________________
2-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-2-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin