RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

About South Carolina, is it just me that I felt .... ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 05/14/17 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
When some of the most astute fans of the game are saying that they aren't bothering to watch the championship game there needs to be an examination of other options.

The only interesting thing about a single elimination format is the drama of games all being do or die. Other than that most of the games are either boring and/or one-sided and due to inevitable upsets there ends up being only 4-5 games between the top-rated teams. I've always felt that shortening the field to 32 teams would allow the NCAA to reduce the field to 8 after the first weekend and then be able to have a double elimination tournament like they have in baseball & I believe in softball. This type of format would produce many more great match ups, would still provide a lot of do or die games and be a better showcase for the best teams in wcbb.

That's interesting: Usually one does not dwell with the other; as with the men's NCAA tournament, its the upsets of higher seeded teams that help make the tournaments exciting and unpredictable, rather than boring and one-sided. Of course some years there are several top or "blue blood" programs that can argue the same chances of winning it all as the others can, so if they all make it to the Final Four that can make things more interesting.

But if the games are typically one-sided blowouts and routes, then usually "inevitable" upsets do not occur. The top seeds proceed as predicted and end up playing the other top seeds.

But as for this topic I agree with the above posters: Notre Dame, Baylor, and UConn all had the opportunity to play South Carolina but they didn't take care of their business. USC played the team that beat Notre Dame, and played the team that beat Baylor and UConn, and went 2-0. I can't see how any of that is South Carolina's fault.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: