17%
 17%  [ 5 ]
Liberty
82%
 82%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 29

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/13/17 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's a new secret weapon. Just blow bad breath onto your opponent.

- Amanda Gorman
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 05/14/17 12:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
It's a new secret weapon. Just blow bad breath onto your opponent.

Worked for Vince Carter on Rudy Gay... Idea Razz

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 05/14/17 12:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Boyd must really be disliked around the league. I know personally that makes me like her more. I wish more Libs players had that edge to their games.

Brittany was always nice to me when I saw her at Berkeley... Idea

Currie was also nice to me when I saw her in WAS, so I'm not going to take sides Razz

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 05/14/17 6:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

what happened to LFO saying watch out for stokes re: breakout season or most improved or something??

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 05/14/17 7:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Game itself...yeah we played like we were in the Whiz era, where we would have mass celebrations if we broke SEVENTY...doesn't work that way today.

I agree we played down to a side that was Mo Currie and a B squad...Sequoia holmes was taken out of mothballs for Christ's sake.

And I agree we almost blew a 17 pt lead...to...THAT

We couldn't finish for our lives...shots come and go...so I can take a little solace in that. But we aren't beating anyone else like that.

I did think there were good defensive plays, and good hustle...and the team did play together. Burdick showed why she was signed...and how...with Allen out that was beyond huge.

I do like 5 in doubles...always...and a bunch of 7s too...but too many missed shots too many sloppy shots and the return of the 2014 motherchucker Sugar is a VERY VERY bad sign

Boyd I thought came on in her quick burst like she always does...I don't get the vitriol I really don't

As for Currie...maybe us Lib fans should get together and send her a bunch of breath mints to Stars HQ courtesy of Boyd Wink LOL Never change Mo...NEVER change!!!!

PostPosted: 05/14/17 7:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder how long I'm going to say I'm not worried about Sugar before I do actually worry about her. I feel like she's shooting quicker at times because as a team they're trying to play faster? But she needs to make shots simply put. I still think at the end of the day she will. She hits from all over the court when warming up. She should get it together soon. But Thursday is a huge test for her. Big game against a team we may be fighting with for seeding IF we put it all together. It's the first time we will absolutely need her to score. Maybe that will spark something in her. She's usually good in big spots.

PostPosted: 05/14/17 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
what happened to LFO saying watch out for stokes re: breakout season or most improved or something??

I was wondering that too. He singled her out postgame for being out of shape. Very disappointing.

PostPosted: 05/14/17 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:

I was wondering that too. He singled her out postgame for being out of shape. Very disappointing.

He does this...he did this to boyd last year...out of nowhere without consultation he anoints her the starter...threw the load to her...she legit WTFed when she was told by a REPORTER that she was the starter...she wasn't ready and I think this is where a lot of the Anti Boyd sentiment comes from even today (despite redeeming herself in the second half of the season)

Now hes doing the same whiplash to stokes...for the record I didn't think Stokes looked any different shape wise from last year...she still moved well...she is flat footed on the ground and a few passes went over her head because of it but I wouldn't say out of shape...I found the comment odd until I went back and reminded myself of what happened with Boyd last year...seems similar...put all the praise on likely more than what is truthful then pull it all back beyond the point of no return after she doesn't live to the lofty expectation you thrust on her in the first place...Its a tactic of Bills but not sure if its a good one we'll see how stokes reacts.

(You can also argue this for the way he hyped Toni Young...and we know how big a bust she ended up)

PostPosted: 05/14/17 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know why Stokes would be out of shape. She played all winter and her team went fairly deep into the playoffs. That's why she arrived late. And while overseas teams play fewer games per week, it's not like you get to sit around. There is usually a very structured program of weightlifting and practice. If anything, you might expect Stokes to be tired. When you finally get a break after a grind, there's a letdown and you have trouble getting started again. That's the more likely problem IMHO.

Stokes was disappointing off the boards, but everybody was bad with help defense. SAS was able to drive to the basket at will. Either they got to the hoop or were fouled. NY is just lucky the Stars missed a lot of free throws. I'd say something about missed lay-ups but it seems that missed bunnies are at an epidemic state in women's basketball on all levels.

Good thing Rebecca Allen didn't play yesterday or she'd be blamed for all of the bad rebounding and defense. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 05/14/17 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My thought was the same in terms of why was Stokes out of shape if she played all winter? But she certainly looked out of shape. Harrison, a nice player, still isn't blowing by her cleanly if Kiah is up to speed.

And if we're going to be built on speed and depth that means we need everyone, especially the best defensive player on the team. We don't have the top end star power of Minnesota, LA and Phoenix. What we have is a franchise player, one player who's close and a few explosive supporting players.

The more I think about it the more annoyed I am. This type of thing annoys me quick. If I pay 1100 dollars for season tickets I expect you to be in shape and know the plays so you can perform. Among other things, if Kiah and Zahui don't perform at max levels, not only do we not win a championship or compete for one, but their trade value diminishes too.

PostPosted: 05/14/17 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
My thought was the same in terms of why was Stokes out of shape if she played all winter? But she certainly looked out of shape. Harrison, a nice player, still isn't blowing by her cleanly if Kiah is up to speed.

And if we're going to be built on speed and depth that means we need everyone, especially the best defensive player on the team. We don't have the top end star power of Minnesota, LA and Phoenix. What we have is a franchise player, one player who's close and a few explosive supporting players.

The more I think about it the more annoyed I am. This type of thing annoys me quick. If I pay 1100 dollars for season tickets I expect you to be in shape and know the plays so you can perform. Among other things, if Kiah and Zahui don't perform at max levels, not only do we not win a championship or compete for one, but their trade value diminishes too.

Yea she looked a bit bigger in terms of pds yesterday.

PostPosted: 05/14/17 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DC outrebounding SAS 32-20 which Bill will probably be bothered with if he is watching.

PostPosted: 05/14/17 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
DC outrebounding SAS 32-20 which Bill will probably be bothered with if he is watching.

A big difference was old pal Alex Montgomery getting 11 vs NY but only 3 vs DC.

PostPosted: 05/14/17 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote):

Good thing Rebecca Allen didn't play yesterday or she'd be blamed for all of the bad rebounding and defense. Twisted Evil[/quote]

LMAO ! btw she pulled a Quad but should be back for Thursday

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/15/17 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel better about NY after seeing some of this weekend's games. A majority of teams are having trouble with chemistry, etc. And the Liberty have a lot of upside to draw from once Zahui and Piph get adjusted and Kiah gets in better shape.

And I thought in terms of execution, that period with the second unit in the second half was ugly. But besides that it was better than much of what I saw over the weekend. It wasn't a turnover fest. They got good looks. They missed shots they'll probably make in another week or so.

PostPosted: 05/15/17 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ok please hear me out... i doubt kiah is out of shape... check out her shorts... the shorts look HUGE on her... i think thats what makes her look bigger

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/15/17 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought NY looked discombobulated and out of sorts. Will they look better as the season goes on? Maybe. Maybe not. I'm guessing somewhat. But I still think Boyd is a trainwreck waiting to happen.

- Amanda Gorman
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/15/17 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
ok please hear me out... i doubt kiah is out of shape... check out her shorts... the shorts look HUGE on her... i think thats what makes her look bigger

Her face is what i specifically noticed. Not her shorts

PostPosted: 05/15/17 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First game, Stokes, Zellous and Zahui B all had about one practice with the team, I'm not too worried.

On the positive side Burdick looked good, and played all her minutes at the SF spot, which is good for her and the Liberty (except maybe for Bec Allen).

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/15/17 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah I mentioned on Twitter that based on the first game, Laimbeer and New York view Burdick as a 3, and Raincock-Ekunwe as a 4. There'll probably be some fluidity there, as there always was with both Cash and Pierson, but it looks like that to start with.

PostPosted: 05/15/17 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I thought NY looked discombobulated and out of sorts. Will they look better as the season goes on? Maybe. Maybe not. I'm guessing somewhat. But I still think Boyd is a trainwreck waiting to happen.

Oh-oh. Now that everyone is praising T. Young, Myrtle needs a new whipping girl. Be careful. When you hit Boyd, she hits back! Razz

The Liberty did look discombobulated, but that's with or without Boyd on the court. Brittany only played 15:46. For what it's worth, she graded out well statistically for that game: 3rd in plus/minus, 3rd in WNBA.com Net Rating, 1st in Basketball Reference Net Rating, 1st in PIE, and 1st in PER. The team has four new players and three returning players who had been with the team 8 days or less. Also, who knows what kind of offense they're installing or how much of it was implemented. New York is a mess, but I don't know if they looked that much messier than most of the teams this weekend.

Regarding NRE, did anyone who attended the preseason games actually see her play SF? Who were the post players out there with her? Again, Nayo came to the Liberty as a C/PF. Liberty fans keep talking about her playing the 3 spot, but just because we discuss it doesn't make it real.

I think this thing about Stokes being out of shape is just Laimbeer playing mind games. She logged 36.3 mpg with Besiktas. They're not much of an outside shooting team, so the bulk of the action was inside where Stokes hangs out. Here's the only picture of Kiah I can find from this last week. Not conclusive, but no overt evidence of being out of shape.

PostPosted: 05/15/17 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nah, I don't need Boyd. Hamby is still available.

- Amanda Gorman
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/15/17 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Kiah looked a couple of steps slow. Not the same suddenness to the rim for rebounds and not even the two or so times she took the ball to the basket. She didn't look horribly out of shape. But I wasn't overwhelmed by her athleticism in either short bursts or running downcourt.

While I think Laimbeer would totally play mind games, I don't think that's the case here without at least some merit. Do I think it's partially meant to motivate? Yes. Do I think Kiah is in 100% condition? No I don't. He said after the preseason game at Columbia that he expected Kiah to start but "we'll see what shape she is in." I don't think he'd publicly call out a player without at least some merit to it.

On Boyd, she only played 3 minutes in the first half. She made a beautiful drive, draw and dish to Sugar, who missed an open 3. The second foul was bad judgment. But in the second half she was good. Speed IS a defining skill and Boyd is attacking the rim like she did in 2015. She's also more explosive than last year. It's a good weapon to have on a team looking to win with depth and attacking speed.

A lot of teams looked beyond awful on Sunday for entire games. NY looked beyond awful for about 12 of the 40 minutes. There's a lot to build on in terms of players who are capable of showing improvement.

Looking forward to Thursday and hoping the performance is better.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 05/15/17 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randy

PostPosted: 05/15/17 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How long has Stokes been back in the country? Could be jet lag type thing. I know whenever I go overseas it takes me 2-3 weeks to get back to normal sleeping. I'm waking up in the middle of the night for days and days. Everyone is different - some people adjust to that quickly. Others not.

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/16/17 12:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
How long has Stokes been back in the country? Could be jet lag type thing. I know whenever I go overseas it takes me 2-3 weeks to get back to normal sleeping. I'm waking up in the middle of the night for days and days. Everyone is different - some people adjust to that quickly. Others not.

Good point. Kiah started practice last Tuesday, so she probably arrived on Monday. Sunday would have been her seventh day back. Jet lag could still realistically be a factor. I remember flying from NY to Munich once, and over the next three days, I got a total of 4.5 hours of sleep. I was a total zombie, but I still couldn't sleep at night. It was my own circle of hell not found in Dante's Inferno. For the next few days, I was playing catch-up.

As I mentioned earlier, sometimes when a person goes through an arduous period where they've been pushing hard, it's difficult to gear up again once you finally take a break. If you're Stokes, and you just finished a season where you played over 36 mpg, are you ready to just jump in and start another 34 game season? Even if your head is willing, what does your body say? Yes, I agree that Stokes looked lethargic. However, that doesn't necessarily equate to being out of shape. She could be run down or it could be mental or emotional fatigue. Also, getting back late and finding yourself behind most of your teammates doesn't help. Kiah is probably thinking rather than reacting, so her play is really tentative right now.

myrtle wrote:
nah, I don't need Boyd. Hamby is still available.

Aw, you shouldn't be mean to someone's mom. Stick to Boyd. She can handle it.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: