Board Junkies Forums

Dallas Wings 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/11/17 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Maybe she's just as happy to get paid for sitting on her couch as she is to get paid for playing basketball.

Laughing That was my first reaction as well, but I suspect from Boti's tone that that's not the actual answer.

PostPosted: 05/11/17 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sJ43qJsmG4E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 05/13/17 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Chong found out that she made the team on Wednesday morning.

When Chong skipped the Wings’ second preseason game so she could take part in graduation at ceremonies at UConn, there was speculation that she was assured she would make the team. That is not the way it worked.

“I had no idea if I was going to make it or not but I talked to the coaches, they knew that graduation is a huge accomplishment and said it wouldn’t affect any decisions on me making it or not making it,” Chong said. I had discussed with them a few times about it and I knew I had to give my all in my first week of practice before I went to graduation.”

http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20170512/former-husky-kelly-faris-cut-by-sun-saniya-chong-makes-dallas-roster
Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/13/17 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another illustration that with all the things coaches get to see of players in training camp, the preseason games are far from the be all and end all. Other stuff matters a lot more than those couple of scrimmages against other players who'll be cut the following week (and we don't even get to watch those).

PostPosted: 05/14/17 12:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It doesn't strictly belong in this thread anymore, but ...

Phillips retires from WNBA
Quote:
Erin Phillips has today announced her retirement from the WNBA to spend more time with her young family and focus on the next stage of her professional career in sport.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2017-05-14/aflw-phillips-retires-from-wnba

PostPosted: 05/14/17 2:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
It doesn't strictly belong in this thread anymore, but ...

Phillips retires from WNBA
Quote:
Erin Phillips has today announced her retirement from the WNBA to spend more time with her young family and focus on the next stage of her professional career in sport.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2017-05-14/aflw-phillips-retires-from-wnba

Cuz if its something she is really passionate about doing then doing it now before she gets any older makes sense.
tfan

PostPosted: 05/17/17 6:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice Plaisance interview:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PD5jYmk6Onk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quote:
You know I don't have a real job, I'm playing a game as a job, so what's better than that right?

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/17/17 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nice. Can't hurt to get more 'news' time either.

- Amanda Gorman
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/17/17 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Nice Plaisance interview:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PD5jYmk6Onk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quote:
You know I don't have a real job, I'm playing a game as a job, so what's better than that right?

yeah this season has been alot more exposure and advertising around the city . I think ive heard them announce the opening game this saturday against the Lynx on every radio station every morning this week. Im excited ill be there , hope we sell out. Maya Moore will draw , theres a bigger buzz than last season in my city about the wings this year ! Great times

PostPosted: 05/19/17 7:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/19/17 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/other-sports/wnba/2017/05/18/south-carolina-duo-kaela-davis-allisha-gray-making-fast-impact-dallas-wings

Kaela ready for The WNBA w/ Dallas morning News !!

Quote:

For Davis, her moment of professional realization came when she dribbled around a pick and saw waiting in the post Phoenix center Brittney Griner.

PostPosted: 05/22/17 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Erin Phillips named Director of Player & Franchise Development

http://wings.wnba.com/news/erin-phillips-joins-dallas-wings-director-player-franchise-development/

Quote:
"I am very excited to continue to be a part of the Dallas Wings family,” Phillips stated. “I am very grateful for the chance to get to work and learn from three great coaches in Fred Williams, Bridget Pettis and Taj McWilliams-Franklin. I would like to thank the Dallas Wings Organization for this amazing opportunity."

PostPosted: 05/22/17 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

http://wings.wnba.com/news/erin-phillips-joins-dallas-wings-director-player-franchise-development/

Quote:
"I am very excited to continue to be a part of the Dallas Wings family,” Phillips stated. “I am very grateful for the chance to get to work and learn from three great coaches in Fred Williams, Bridget Pettis and Taj McWilliams-Franklin. I would like to thank the Dallas Wings Organization for this amazing opportunity."

great gesture by Bibb and the wings . Congrats to Erin

PostPosted: 05/22/17 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

great gesture by Bibb and the wings . Congrats to Erin

A great gesture indeed and an even greater strategy in hoping to get Cambage to come over...

PostPosted: 05/22/17 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seems like the league is allowing 4 coaches these days. I seem to recall that the 3 coach limit was to keep down team expenses.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/22/17 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:

Interesting.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/22/17 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Seems like the league is allowing 4 coaches these days. I seem to recall that the 3 coach limit was to keep down team expenses.

I don't think you'll find that anyone has more than three coaches. They have a head coach, two assistants, and then however many people they feel like paying with a bunch of other titles.

This whole thing with Phillips has been kinda weird. Surprisingly cut; says she's retiring from basketball; then hired by the basketball organisation that cut her. Probably works out fine for Erin if she didn't want to leave the Dallas area, but it played out in a strange way.

PostPosted: 05/22/17 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
tfan wrote:

I don't think you'll find that anyone has more than three coaches. They have a head coach, two assistants, and then however many people they feel like paying with a bunch of other titles.

This whole thing with Phillips has been kinda weird. Surprisingly cut; says she's retiring from basketball; then hired by the basketball organisation that cut her. Probably works out fine for Erin if she didn't want to leave the Dallas area, but it played out in a strange way.

I'm generally not one for grand designs, but the Cambage connection might be in play here. (I still don't think she's ever coming over, though ...)

PostPosted: 05/22/17 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just very off. Didn't she buy a house in the Dallas area before last season? Maybe she still wanted/needed to work in the US before heading back to Australia.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
tfan

PostPosted: 05/22/17 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
tfan wrote:

These (at least from pictures of Chicago practices with Kelly Schumacher-Raimon right there with all the other coaches) new staff are effectively coaches despite a different title. So now team coaching payrolls are higher If the 3 coach limit is going to be circumvented with a new title, why not just allow 4 coaches?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/22/17 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
tfan wrote:

These (at least from pictures of Chicago practices with Kelly Schumacher-Raimon right there with all the other coaches) new staff are effectively coaches despite a different title. So now team coaching payrolls are higher If the 3 coach limit is going to be circumvented with a new title, why not just allow 4 coaches?

Back when they were trying to cut the numbers down even further, it was about the number of people travelling as much as anything. I would assume that in most cases (ideally all), these extra people with their random titles won't be travelling with the teams.

PostPosted: 05/22/17 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
tfan wrote:

Only a set number are allowed on the bench

PostPosted: 05/22/17 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:

It is great that she has this new job now that her basketball career is over. This is the type of love that Lauren Jackson was denied after her retirement. She felt discarded and thrown away like used toilet paper.

PostPosted: 05/22/17 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

It is great that she has this new job now that her basketball career is over. This is the type of love that Lauren Jackson was denied after her retirement. She felt discarded and thrown away like used toilet paper.

These types of jobs in the WNBA weren't available when LJ retired. I mean, she retired, the Storm gave her a ceremony at Key Arena to thank her for the years with the team and retired her jersey. That's a lot more than most people get. What the hell more did she want? A crown to wear and a thrown to sit on at every Storm home game? If she felt discarded and thrown away like used toilet paper, then she needs help.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 05/22/17 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The woman wants a job like her Aussie friends have.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 24 of 36

Jump to: