RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Expansion and Mr. Lacob

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyperetic

PostPosted: 02/08/14 12:30 am    ::: Expansion and Mr. Lacob Reply Reply with quote

Expansion of the W is a touchy subject here I know. Some feel its idiotic to think of expansion at this stage of the league, instead we should be praying that it doesn't contract. Others are all for any expansion, especially if it gets a team in or near their hometown. Some, like me, welcome expansion when it is financially viable, the potential owners vetted to the best of the leagues ability, the area has the potentially to successfully support a franchise. That being said, I think Lacob would make a great owner. From articles and SOME posts here, Oakland seems to be a viable locale for a team. The rub is to keep the league even, they would have to bring in another team at the same time or am I mistaken about that?
FS02

PostPosted: 02/08/14 12:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think when you have a good owner in a good market you have to do it. That just makes business sense, but who in the east is going to step up to balance it when Mr. Lacob gets a team?

PostPosted: 02/08/14 1:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FS02 wrote:
I think when you have a good owner in a good market you have to do it. That just makes business sense, but who in the east is going to step up to balance it when Mr. Lacob gets a team?

I came up with Jordan with the reasoning that he wants to keep up with Magic.

Should I tweet Jordan? Wink

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 02/08/14 1:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
FS02 wrote:

I came up with Jordan with the reasoning that he wants to keep up with Magic.

Should I tweet Jordan? Wink

I don't think Jordan has a Twitter account. (The account for the shoe brand doesn't count Razz)

GEF34

PostPosted: 02/08/14 1:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Expansion of the W is a touchy subject here I know. Some feel its idiotic to think of expansion at this stage of the league, instead we should be praying that it doesn't contract. Others are all for any expansion, especially if it gets a team in or near their hometown. Some, like me, welcome expansion when it is financially viable, the potential owners vetted to the best of the leagues ability, the area has the potentially to successfully support a franchise. That being said, I think Lacob would make a great owner. From articles and SOME posts here, Oakland seems to be a viable locale for a team. The rub is to keep the league even, they would have to bring in another team at the same time or am I mistaken about that?

I've never really thought about it, i mean it would be better if things were even 6 and 6, 7 and 7 or whatever the case maybe, but if it were 6 and 7 would that really have that much of an impact on the league, sure the schedules would be a bit off, probably take a bit work creating them, but I don't see it as being that important to have an even number of teams.

tfan

PostPosted: 02/08/14 7:01 am    ::: Re: Expansion and Mr. Lacob Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Some feel its idiotic to think of expansion at this stage of the league, instead we should be praying that it doesn't contract.

To me most, if not all, of the talk against expansion was with regard to a feeling that there were not enough talented players to support a 13 or 14 team league.

hyperetic wrote:
The rub is to keep the league even, they would have to bring in another team at the same time or am I mistaken about that?

By my calculations the league has had an odd number of teams for 4 different years (2004,2005,2007,2009). Each time it was 13 teams but each time they reached 13 due to contraction, not expansion.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/08/14 9:36 am    ::: Re: Expansion and Mr. Lacob Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
The rub is to keep the league even, they would have to bring in another team at the same time or am I mistaken about that?

It would be nice to bring in two teams at the same time to keep things even. The trouble with that is every team would be losing two of their better bench players all at once.

Using the Lynx for an example, if you kept the protect list at 6 (and therefore these new teams would be very noncompetitive), they would be losing Dev Peters for sure plus one of either Rachel Jarry or Lindsey Moore (or Amber Harris if she was still around). I just killed most of my point bringing Harris into the equation. I guess the Lynx could swallow that loss without too much pain.

Let's do it! Let's expand the league to 14!

If the league were expand to 14, would the total number of games each team played also rise from 34?

It's weird how quickly talk went from "the sky is falling" (the league is folding) to expanding the league.

Lacob most likely be the backup plan if another club is poorly managed or cannot sustain any further losses. ATL, are vou next? Where's your jersey deal because I know you're not cutting it at the gate.

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/08/14 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Though I don't think expanding the roster to 12 is all that important, I am hopeful it happens because every year there are a few times that teams wind up without enough players.

And if you think about it, that's really adding an expansion team because 12 more players have jobs. That also would make it easier to expand down the road, because a couple of those 12 would probably develop unexpectedly over a couple years, and there would be a little more depth when it came time for an expansion draft.

But really, who would want to start a new team now given the draft rules?

Rough guesses for the six protected (ignoring free agency):

Atlanta: Le'Coe Willingham, Aneika Henry, Alex Bennett

Chicago: Shay Murphy, Carolyn Swords, Avery Warley, Allie Quigley (or you could keep one of those and not protect Swin Cash)

Connecticut: Kalana Greene, Iziane Castro Marquez, Kayla Pedersen

Indiana: Katie Douglas, Erin Phillips (or Layshia Clarendon), Karima Christmas

New York: Leilani Mitchell, Alex Montgomery, Toni Young

Washington: Monique Currie, Michelle Snow, Nadira McKenith

Los Angeles: A'dia Mathies, Marissa Coleman

Minnesota: Monica Wright, Devereaux Peters

Phoenix: Charde Houston, Brianna Gilbreath, Krystal Thomas

San Antonio: Davellyn Whyte, Shameka Christon, Shenise Johnson

Seattle: Alysha Clark, Tianna Hawkins

Tulsa: Nicole Powell (or Candice Wiggins), Riquna Williams, Jennifer Lacy, Roneeka Hodges

Obviously, there are different ways teams could go, and I'm sure I've made some dumb mistakes, so this list is far from definitive. And you could patch together a decent starting five that might have an outside shot at winning 15 games, but depth would be non-existent, and the odds of all the pieces fitting are pretty low. (And of course some players would retire if forced to go to an expansion team, so Seattle might not protect LJ and Bird, and San Antonio might not protect Hammon, watering down the pool even further.)

So do you, as prospective owner, want to lose $1 million a year to watch that group play?

PostPosted: 02/08/14 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Though I don't think expanding the roster to 12 is all that important, I am hopeful it happens because every year there are a few times that teams wind up without enough players.

And if you think about it, that's really adding an expansion team because 12 more players have jobs. That also would make it easier to expand down the road, because a couple of those 12 would probably develop unexpectedly over a couple years, and there would be a little more depth when it came time for an expansion draft.

But really, who would want to start a new team now given the draft rules?

Rough guesses for the six protected (ignoring free agency):

Atlanta: Le'Coe Willingham, Aneika Henry, Alex Bennett

Chicago: Shay Murphy, Carolyn Swords, Avery Warley, Allie Quigley (or you could keep one of those and not protect Swin Cash)

Connecticut: Kalana Greene, Iziane Castro Marquez, Kayla Pedersen

Indiana: Katie Douglas, Erin Phillips (or Layshia Clarendon), Karima Christmas

New York: Leilani Mitchell, Alex Montgomery, Toni Young

Washington: Monique Currie, Michelle Snow, Nadira McKenith

Los Angeles: A'dia Mathies, Marissa Coleman

Minnesota: Monica Wright, Devereaux Peters

Phoenix: Charde Houston, Brianna Gilbreath, Krystal Thomas

San Antonio: Davellyn Whyte, Shameka Christon, Shenise Johnson

Seattle: Alysha Clark, Tianna Hawkins

Tulsa: Nicole Powell (or Candice Wiggins), Riquna Williams, Jennifer Lacy, Roneeka Hodges

Obviously, there are different ways teams could go, and I'm sure I've made some dumb mistakes, so this list is far from definitive. And you could patch together a decent starting five that might have an outside shot at winning 15 games, but depth would be non-existent, and the odds of all the pieces fitting are pretty low. (And of course some players would retire if forced to go to an expansion team, so Seattle might not protect LJ and Bird, and San Antonio might not protect Hammon, watering down the pool even further.)

So do you, as prospective owner, want to lose $1 million a year to watch that group play?

My picks in bold. Though I could see changing some of them. Maybe we should start a fantasy expansion league..... Laughing BTW - don't see Tulsa not protecting Williams.

Angus24

PostPosted: 02/08/14 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Lacob wants a team the WNBA is crazy not to go for it. How often do you find a guy with all the financing and machinery in place to start and run a new team. The odd number of teams has happened before and should not be even a minor factor in the decision. Who knows when one of the existing teams will fail? As others have pointed out the Bay Area should be ideal. If California cannot support two teams they should be disconnected from the mainland and shoved out in the Pacific to form a new island. I think there is plenty of talent to support another team.Look how many teams now have a player on the bench who is qualified to be a starter. I for one, cannot think of any really valid reason for not giving Lacob a team in Bay area.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/08/14 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angus24 wrote:
If Lacob wants a team the WNBA is crazy not to go for it. How often do you find a guy with all the financing and machinery in place to start and run a new team. The odd number of teams has happened before and should not be even a minor factor in the decision. Who knows when one of the existing teams will fail? As others have pointed out the Bay Area should be ideal. If California cannot support two teams they should be disconnected from the mainland and shoved out in the Pacific to form a new island. I think there is plenty of talent to support another team.Look how many teams now have a player on the bench who is qualified to be a starter. I for one, cannot think of any really valid reason for not giving Lacob a team in Bay area.

The most obvious valid reason would be that Richie doesn't want to dilute the talent pool and wants to keep the product at a high level, a level deserving of getting the male sports fans' attention and adding more high quality sponsors.

Fans of WCBB would love expansion because they would get to see some of their recently graduated favs actually get some court time. How would Simmons (or Prahalis) fans ever get to see her play on a WNBA court unless there is expansion? Wink

toad455

PostPosted: 02/08/14 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

let's all remember that the league was once at 16 teams when the talent level was lower. Some players that started on teams from 2000-2002 might not even make a roster today. I'd feel perfectly content if the league opted to expand to 14 teams for 2015. And with the possibilty of rosters expanding to 12 players, we'd have 168 players on rosters in 2015 compared to just 132 in 2013(+36).

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
tfan

PostPosted: 02/08/14 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

The most obvious valid reason would be that Richie doesn't want to dilute the talent pool and wants to keep the product at a high level, a level deserving of getting the male sports fans' attention and adding more high quality sponsors.

If more people want to watch a smaller league because of talent, it must get canceled out by more people wanting to watch a larger league because of more teams near them. Or it may be that talent level is not important. At least the data does not appear to support the belief that a smaller league with a better average talent level would improve ratings.

bullsky

PostPosted: 02/08/14 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Shades wrote:

If more people want to watch a smaller league because of talent, it must get canceled out by more people wanting to watch a larger league because of more teams near them. Or it may be that talent level is not important. At least the data does not appear to support the belief that a smaller league with a better average talent level would improve ratings.

Exactly. I don't understand why some people want their 12th player to be an all-star. There IS enough talent to warrant more teams.

PostPosted: 02/08/14 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe that big drop in viewers 2011-2012 on ESPN2 was simply due to availability of Live Access.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 02/09/14 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whatever happened to striking while the iron is hot? Nothing in business is 100% worry-free. Were I the powers that be, after sufficiently vetting Lacob, his organization, facilities, financials, etc. and it panned out, I wouldn't hesitate on awarding him a franchise. I know its not that simple and much more to consider but i don't see any serious roadblocks with him.
sammieee

PostPosted: 02/10/14 5:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They need to expand next year, so they will get a good opportunity to draft Breanna Stewert Laughing

Jewel Lloyd will be a decent consultation prize. I think she'll be a star (not a super star, but a multiple all-star), and probably a future Olympian. I think (Lloyd) is the best SG prospect in a long time.

norwester

PostPosted: 02/10/14 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With those possibilities in bold up there and a lottery pick, I think a scrappy team could provide a decent on-court product, and an excellent fan-interaction one. I don't mind bringing one more team in, with the strike while the iron is hot mentality.

But I think that depends on Lacob. If he wants to concentrate on the new arena first, maybe we spend that time (couple of years?) seeing if any teams needs to relocate, or if Colorado figures their stuff out, and expand by one (if relocate) or two and reshuffle the conferences. If he wants a team now, give him one.

PostPosted: 05/12/17 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/05/12/purdy-joe-lacob-lost-10-million-on-his-first-basketball-investment-and-has-no-regrets/

Quote:
So then what about a WNBA team in the Bay Area’s future? Lacob said he and league officials have talked.

“They would like us to have a WNBA team,” Lacob said. “And I would like to have one, too. We just have a few tasks that we’re dealing with right now, building an arena. But I think ultimately we will have one here . . . I think it’s inevitable. We would have done it earlier except there was a lot to do to turn this team around in the first few years. It’s something we could see in the future.”

hyperetic

PostPosted: 05/12/17 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/05/12/purdy-joe-lacob-lost-10-million-on-his-first-basketball-investment-and-has-no-regrets/

Quote:
So then what about a WNBA team in the Bay Area’s future? Lacob said he and league officials have talked.

“They would like us to have a WNBA team,” Lacob said. “And I would like to have one, too. We just have a few tasks that we’re dealing with right now, building an arena. But I think ultimately we will have one here . . . I think it’s inevitable. We would have done it earlier except there was a lot to do to turn this team around in the first few years. It’s something we could see in the future.”

Cool
toad455

PostPosted: 05/12/17 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Shades wrote:

Quote:

Cool

Hopefully by 2019 we see a team added in San Francisco plus a 2nd team somewhere else. The talent pool coming in in 2018 is high and definitely warrants adding two more teams.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: