RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Minnesota Lynx 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lynxmania

PostPosted: 05/11/17 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
What a bonus if they can keep both Ting & Jones. This team isn't exactly young. They already have Pierson injured.

Shades posted this quote above about Pierson..
Quote:
Forward Plenette Pierson, who missed both preseason games after entering concussion protocol after taking an elbow to the temple during practice last week, is expected to return to practice Thursday.

and she did practice today, so I would expect her to play on Sunday.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/12/17 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Lynx waive Ting

Nice stall tactic...

2017 MINNESOTA LYNX REGULAR SEASON ROSTER

No Player Pos Ht Wt Birthdate College/Year Yrs
33 Seimone Augustus G 6-0 170 04/30/84 Louisiana State ’06 11
32 Rebekkah Brunson F 6-2 185 12/11/81 Georgetown ’04 13
14 Temi Fagbenle F 6-4 197 09/08/92 USC ‘17 R
34 Sylvia Fowles C 6-6 212 10/06/85 Louisiana ‘08 9
3 Natasha Howard F 6-2 165 09/02/91 Florida State ‘14 3
12 Alexis Jones G 5-8 173 05/08/94 Baylor ‘17 R
21 Renee Montgomery G 5-7 139 12/02/86 Connecticut ‘09 8
23 Maya Moore F 6-0 177 06/11/89 Connecticut ’11 6
7 Jia Perkins G 5-8 165 02/23/82 Texas Tech ‘04 13
22 Plenette Pierson F 6-2 195 08/31/81 Texas Tech ‘03 14
13 Lindsay Whalen G 5-9 173 05/09/82 Minnesota ’04 13

Head Coach: Cheryl Reeve (La Salle)

Assistant Coaches: Shelley Patterson (Washington State), James Wade (Kennesaw State), Walt Hopkins (University of Nevada-Reno)

Athletic Trainers
: Chuck Barta (Wisconsin-La Crosse), Kate Taber (University of Iowa)

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 05/12/17 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy will be happy!

- Amanda Gorman
toad455

PostPosted: 05/12/17 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why tease us and say they MAY be able to carry 12 players? Either you can or you can't.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 05/12/17 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dream should pick up Ting. Getting cut by the Lynx only helps cement the Jeremy aspect of the story.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 05/17/17 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lynx center Sylvia Fowles' No. 34 LSU Tigers jersey to be retired

Quote:
“Sylvia Fowles is a woman of great influence and compassion who has brought worldwide recognition to our university and to our state,” said LSU Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics Joe Alleva in a statement released Monday. “Her impact has been felt not only through her achievements as a basketball player, but also in her philanthropic work for young people. We are thrilled to honor her legacy by retiring her jersey in the Maravich Center.”

Shades

PostPosted: 06/24/17 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.twincities.com/2017/06/22/lynx-determined-not-to-let-one-loss-turn-into-two/

Quote:
The Lynx have played just one game in the past 11 days. Friday’s game will be the fifth of eight the Lynx will play this year with five or more days of rest after only two such contests in 2016.

“I don’t know what exactly goes into that software,” Reeve said of the WNBA’s scheduling algorithms. “We’d rather be playing. We’d rather have a little more balance. They hear me less when we’re playing.”

Then again, Minnesota is in the midst of playing eight of 12 games at Xcel Energy Center.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/04/17 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With the impending July 6 guaranteed contract cutoff date, I wonder how the rookies are progressing, and how the lynx would evaluate them as long term prospects. Have they seen enough to say "we gotta keep these players". It'd be nice if we could get a progress report on them.

Anna Cruz had well-timed meniscus surgery, so she's out of the running for any second half season moves.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 07/05/17 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40

PostPosted: 08/01/17 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Seimone Augustus injured? I saw a Tweet Reeve is unsure if she will be available next game up.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 08/01/17 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
Is Seimone Augustus injured? I saw a Tweet Reeve is unsure if she will be available next game up.

Family Related.

miller40

PostPosted: 08/01/17 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
miller40 wrote:

Family Related.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Thanks for the information.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 08/03/17 5:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the Lynx win the championship this season, will that make Brunson as the only player in WNBA history to win a 5th WNBA Championship?

pilight

PostPosted: 08/03/17 6:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
If the Lynx win the championship this season, will that make Brunson as the only player in WNBA history to win a 5th WNBA Championship?

She would be the first

PostPosted: 08/04/17 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whalen out indefinelty after undergoing surgery to repair a fracture in her left hand. She suffered the injury yesterday during the Atlanta game.

adamj95

PostPosted: 08/04/17 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When whalen broke her hand in college, she ended up leading them to the final four. Let's see what she can do 13 years later and playing all of the home playoff games at the barn. Hoping for a fast recovery.

PostPosted: 08/04/17 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When did the injury occur? I missed the 2nd half

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
wnbashockballa

PostPosted: 08/04/17 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:

she was fouled by claraden in the 4th and the refs didn't call a foul they called it a jump ball lol she keep playing till coach Reeves finally called a t/o cause she was hurt

PostPosted: 08/04/17 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:

There were just over five minutes left in the third quarter, when she collided with Clarendon while trying to run the break.

PostPosted: 08/04/17 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

There were just over five minutes left in the third quarter, when she collided with Clarendon while trying to run the break.

Thanks. Just saw it. Looks like her hand got jammed between her body and Clarendon.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
lynxmania

PostPosted: 08/14/17 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rachel Blount @BlountStrib wrote:
Lindsay Whalen did some no-impact on-court work today at Lynx practice, but Cheryl Reeve says no change in timetable for her return.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BlountStrib/status/897162296727941121

Shades

PostPosted: 08/18/17 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Lynx get a glimpse of life without Lindsay Whalen. It's not so great

https://www.minnpost.com/sports/2017/08/lynx-get-glimpse-life-without-lindsay-whalen-its-not-so-great

Quote:

It’s been almost two weeks since Whalen had her left pinky nearly yanked off in a scramble for a loose ball against Atlanta, the first significant injury to a Lynx starter this season. While Whalen is out of a sling and into a much smaller cast, the 21-5 Lynx don’t expect her back for at least two more weeks — in time for the playoffs, but probably not before.

There's two more weeks left in August. The regular season ends Sept 3. Playoffs start Sept 7, and if the Lynx hold onto a top 2 seed, they won't see action until a week later on Sept 14. These dates are a close approximation derived from the 2016 playoff schedule. To me that's like 4 more weeks for Whalen to heal. I don't blame them if they don't want to risk her before the playoffs, unless holding onto a top 2 seed hinged on beating their last opponent in the Mystics.

Quote:
“She’s so good for us in the third quarter,” forward Rebekkah Brunson said of Whalen. “This year especially, she’s been a player that gets our going in the third and gets our wills going. It’s unfortunate we don’t have her right now, but we still have all the pieces that we need to go out and make runs and do great things. We just have to get it done.

(Brunson injured her left ankle Wednesday night, and it’s not clear if she will play Friday night against Indiana at the Xcel Energy Center.)

Apparently Brunson said this before she got injured. I wonder if she's feeling the same way right now.

Quote:
Whalen, 35, is closer to the end of her career than the beginning, and this sliver of Life Without Lindsay may determine whether the Lynx pursue another point guard this off-season. Montgomery must prove she can run the team for extended minutes, and the early results have not been good. The last two losses saw the Lynx score their fewest points of the season.

Faulkner? Banham? Plum? Give Cruz another try? Who wants to win a championship.

Quote:
After that season [2015], Montgomery turned down a free-agent deal and a starting gig with the New York Liberty to remain as Whalen’s backup. The bubbly Montgomery proved terrific as a gnat-like defender and three-point threat off the bench, allowing Reeve to cut back Whalen’s minutes.

That's eye-opening. Get your tastey documented tidbits from me. Cool

Quote:
It’s one thing to sub into a game, disrupt the other team’s offense, hoist some shots, then sit and let Whalen close things out. It’s another to distribute the ball effectively over 28 to 30 minutes and keep the offense flowing, with Job One lobbing the ball into MVP candidate Sylvia Fowles.

“Any time you move up the depth chart, your accountability goes up,” Reeve said. “While Renee doesn’t have to be Lindsay Whalen in terms of her game, she has to bring us some intangibles in her own way — toughness, focus on what it is we’re trying to get done on a possession, and discipline. Those sorts of things are contagious. I call it the floor game. Renee’s floor game has got to be at a high level.”

Quote:
“As a lead guard, you can feel your way into the game,” Montgomery said. “You don’t have to worry about trying to do too much in a hurry. In that aspect, it’s different. It’s easier, too, when you’re playing with the first group. They have so much firepower that I don’t really have to come in there and do much at all, just call the plays and run the team. But it’s still hard in the sense that you want to start the game right, so you have that pressure.

“The whole learning curve is probably to learn coach — what she wants, when she wants it and how she wants it. Getting a feel for what coach wants is the hardest thing right now.”

Quote:
This season Reeve again cut Whalen’s minutes while asking her to shoot more 3-pointers, limiting wear-and-tear to keep her fresh for the playoffs. Per basketball-reference.com, while Whalen’s minutes fell to a career-low 23.5 per game, her turnovers are up — 3.1 per 36 minutes, compared to 2.1 last year and 2.7 over her career.

Quote:
Yet there’s one thing that statistics, traditional or advanced, can’t reflect: Reeve’s implicit trust in Whalen to deliver the right play when needed. And let’s face it: Every fan who wears a No. 13 jersey to a Lynx game, or rooted for Whalen at the University of Minnesota, expects it as well. That’s what the great ones do.

Quote:
The ongoing task is finding younger complementary pieces to eventually replace Whalen, Brunson and Seimone Augustus.

With Whalen, that’s where it gets dicey. It’s not as simple as finding a traditional playmaker. Point guards need to score in the modern game to keep defenses honest. If they can’t, that defender can float around, double-team a scorer or clog the passing lane into the post. Then the offense bogs down. Someone like Montgomery, a converted shooting guard, is the prototype.

adamj95

PostPosted: 08/19/17 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I haven't seen this reported anywhere but on a Lynx group on facebook someone said Pierson announced her retirement during the jersey auction.

This would open up a spot for Howard who will get more money next season. Now I wonder if Perkins will be coming back.

PostPosted: 08/19/17 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
I haven't seen this reported anywhere but on a Lynx group on facebook someone said Pierson announced her retirement during the jersey auction.

Strange timing to announce a retirement. She was trying to up the value of her jersey?

adamj95 wrote:
This would open up a spot for Howard who will get more money next season. Now I wonder if Perkins will be coming back.

Open up a spot? It should have been hers all along. She's been with the Lynx a year longer.... but Reeve is sort of like Lambeer and Agler who tend to favor the vets.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 08/20/17 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Per LynxPR:
Magic Number to Clinch Homecourt in Semis = 2
Magic Number to Clinch Top Seed = 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 12 of 16

Jump to: