RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Chicago Sky 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 05/10/17 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Boyette learns from experience, ready for enhanced role with Sky

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/boyette-learns-from-experience-ready-for-enhanced-role-with-sky/

Quote:
Boyette finds herself surrounded with more around her in the post. The Sky acquired 6-5 center Stefanie Dolson in the Delle Donne trade from the Washington Mystics. They also drafted center Alaina Coates out of South Carolina with the No. 2 pick to help solidify their post presence.

While Boyette has a reputation as a tenacious post defender, an offense installed by first-year coach and general manager Amber Stocks will push Boyette and broaden her horizons.

“I’m being challenged to do things every day that I’m not necessarily comfortable with,” Boyette said. “It’s a learning curve for a lot of us. But the thing with me is that I’ve always kind of been very happy with my role.

Quote:
“Imani has improved her ability to hit the outside shot, thus opening op the lane for her to continue to score at the rim.”

Looks like Boyette will be changing her role.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
sigur3

PostPosted: 05/10/17 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Totally unbiased opinions and observations from tonight's open practice:

Copper is by far the team's best athlete

Jankoska is a total grinder

Amber Harris is still Amber Harris

Breland at the 3 is a real thing

Parker still doesn't have a post move going left but is oodles more confident overall

Keep in mind of course that most of this was coming against YMCA guys, so make of it what you will.

toad455 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Look where Stocks just came from. She'll try to use Dolson the same way LA uses Lavender.

That would be off the bench.

I doubt it.

zune69

PostPosted: 05/11/17 12:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So Stocks is demanding more from the players,and holding them accountable at the same time.Boyette has improved her jump shot in just one offseason,or at the very least,worked on it.

Last edited by zune69 on 05/11/17 5:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 05/11/17 1:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sky's Cheyenne Parker ready to surprise people

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/ct-sky-media-day-notes-spt-0511-20170510-story.html

Quote:
"Cheyenne Parker is really going to surprise some people," Pondexter said. "Her training camp has been spectacular. She has grown tremendously. I think she's going to surprise a lot of people. She's really expanded her game."

Quote:
"It's been my best camp obviously," Parker said. "I think I am going to surprise people. The past two seasons I was still on a really tight leash. Now the leash is completely off. I've been working on every aspect of my game, offensively and defensively. It should be a complete 180. Just my aggression offensively."

Quote:

Coates comeback? New coach Amber Stocks was vague about when — or if — rookie Alaina Coates would play this season.

Stocks said Coates' cast was removed recently but she has not been medically cleared to travel and hasn't joined the team.

Quote:
Center Imani Boyette said rules relaxed under former coach Pokey Chatman have been tightened under Chatman's successor, Stocks.

"Everybody's here on the dot; everybody's here on time," Boyette said. "She's very detail-oriented. I think she's going to be good for us. We need a little discipline."

Quote:
Former DePaul forward Keisha Hampton has earned the nickname "Sharpshooter" from her new teammates.

tfan

PostPosted: 05/11/17 3:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The past two seasons I was still on a really tight leash. Now the leash is completely off.

tfan

PostPosted: 05/11/17 3:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carlene Mitchell
Amber Stocks
Kelly Schumacher-Raimon
Carla D. Morrow

RavenDog

PostPosted: 05/12/17 7:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I haven't seen where Coates has signed a contract to play for Chicago. Does anyone know if she's planning to sit out the season, waiting for her draft rights to be traded or did she sign and I missed seeing it?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/12/17 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
I haven't seen where Coates has signed a contract to play for Chicago. Does anyone know if she's planning to sit out the season, waiting for her draft rights to be traded or did she sign and I missed seeing it?

Hmm interesting , if she doesnt play this season correct me if im wrong does she not have the right to Re-Enter the draft next year if she does not sign ? Idea Shocked

PostPosted: 05/12/17 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
RavenDog wrote:

Hmm interesting , if she doesnt play this season correct me if im wrong does she not have the right to Re-Enter the draft next year if she does not sign ? Idea Shocked

True, but she can't play overseas for that to work. That means no income or high level basketball for a whole year.

PostPosted: 05/12/17 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
RavenDog wrote:

True, but she can't play overseas for that to work. That means no income or high level basketball for a whole year.

Rehabbing the injury could be her main focus so playing overseas might not be as big of a deal to her. Ive noticed alot of the younger wnba players are not going overseas at the rate of the majority . Year after year

PostPosted: 05/12/17 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:

What is a "total grinder"?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/12/17 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
sigur3 wrote:

Laughing

PostPosted: 05/12/17 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
sigur3 wrote:

sigur3

PostPosted: 05/12/17 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
tfan wrote:
sigur3 wrote:

Laughing

It's kind of like a hoagie.

stever

PostPosted: 05/12/17 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, grinder....nevermind Embarassed

PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/12/17 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/12/17 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
root_thing wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
RavenDog wrote:

Rehabbing the injury could be her main focus so playing overseas might not be as big of a deal to her. Ive noticed alot of the younger wnba players are not going overseas at the rate of the majority . Year after year

Those young players at least earned a paycheck for the WNBA season(s) that they played. The more prominent ones may have endorsement contracts that make overseas income less necessary. On the other side of the spectrum, fringe young players may simply have trouble getting a job. With much of the world having economic problems, there's less money overseas. That means fewer opportunities and the ones that exist pay less than before.

Bottom line is that no one I can think of has ever decided to re-enter the draft. There's always a first time, but I don't sense that Coates has that kind of intrepid rebel/pioneer personality.

PostPosted: 05/12/17 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And the significant majority of players are still going somewhere overseas to play.

PostPosted: 05/12/17 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://sky.wnba.com/news/chicago-sky-roster-set-2017-season-opener/

Is this a new thing this season where teams can have players on opening day rosters and suspended those not yet available? I don't recall this being an option in past seasons. Sky have temp. suspended Vandersloot & Quigley. Faulkner was put on a full season suspension due to her injury.

To start:

PG: Pondexter?/Epps
SG: Copper?/Jankoska
SF: Young/Cooper/Hampton
PF: Dolson/Breland/Harris
C: Boyette/Parker

I'd guess and say Jankoska gets cut once Quigley arrives & either Cooper or Hampton get cut once Sloot arrives. Harris sticks until Coates is healthy.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/12/17 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
http://sky.wnba.com/news/chicago-sky-roster-set-2017-season-opener/

Is this a new thing this season where teams can have players on opening day rosters and suspended those not yet available?

No, not at all. But you do need the cap room to do it - the total theoretical full season salaries of all 14, in this case, have to fit under the cap. Which is why Chicago and San Antonio are carrying extra players to start the season, and LA aren't.

PostPosted: 05/12/17 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another Joanne McCallie protege makes it into the pros.

tfan

PostPosted: 05/12/17 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cappie Pondexter set to lead the young Chicago Sky

tfan

PostPosted: 05/15/17 12:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Odd coaching change, franchise player traded, Sky have questions

sigur3

PostPosted: 05/15/17 1:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, that coaching change was odd. I wonder what circumstances could have influenced Sky ownership to make such a short-sighted and panicky move...?

pilight

PostPosted: 05/15/17 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sky waive Tori Jankoska and Shayla Cooper

http://sky.wnba.com/news/chicago-sky-waive-tori-jankoska-shayla-cooper/

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 16 of 28

Jump to: