RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 05/12/17 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Liberty have definitely run some modified (simplified?) triangle the last couple of years. My concern is the mixed messages we're getting about running and playing the triangle. With the Knicks, Hornacek appeared to want to play a more free-flowing style while Jackson pushed for the triangle. Not necessarily incompatible, but they seemed to yo-yo back and forth and didn't do either well. The trick is integrating the concepts. The WNBA season is fairly short, and obviously training camp is ridiculously short. To top it off, you have key players arriving late. I don't think they can just flip a switch from what happened on Sunday. However, as people have pointed out, maybe New York gets lucky because San Antonio is dealing with their own late arrivals and injured players as well as the rebuilding process in general.

PostPosted: 05/12/17 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I'm almost positive Laimbeer ran at least some triangle offense in Detroit. The Libs tried it in 2014 and have run at least stuff resembling it for years. And there's no Melo on the Liberty to destroy the offensive flow. Saturday might be a little ugly but offensively the Libs will be fine once they're together as a unit for a little while.

Luckily I believe McBride and Jefferson just got back and I don't think Plum is expected to play. And SAS has a new coach. We are fortunate to be up against a not-good team who is going to have a similar adjustment period to NY.

McBride is still in Turkey playing today.
Jefferson has been back for a week and is supposed to play, I believe.
There is a question about Plum's ankle, as I understand it.

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/12/17 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One of the biggest differences between college and the WNBA is the size and athleticism of defenders in the paint. Just because a player is an effective slasher at the college level does not mean that will translate to the WNBA, where everyone is bigger and more athletic and it's much more difficult to finish at the rim.

Some players make it work, but those perimeter players who do not have a three-point or midrange option (this means 45% from 10-16 feet) generally struggle in the WNBA.

And in general, pro leagues are more physical than college (depending on the crew and points of emphasis) so there's more contact in the paint than at the lower level.

PostPosted: 05/12/17 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

@LennRobbins: .@nyliberty to start @tinacharles31 @14Sugar @SZellous1 @kstokes41 @adifferent1five 4 tomorrow's season opener @SAStars @TheGarden #WNBA

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/12/17 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone know when WNBA teams must submit final rosters? Thanks.

PostPosted: 05/12/17 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Anyone know when WNBA teams must submit final rosters? Thanks.

5pm Eastern, I believe, is the deadline to submit the roster. Doesn't necessarily mean they have to tell the public by then, although they usually have in recent years.

PostPosted: 05/12/17 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
@LennRobbins: .@nyliberty to start @tinacharles31 @14Sugar @SZellous1 @kstokes41 @adifferent1five 4 tomorrow's season opener @SAStars @TheGarden #WNBA

Piph is probably still acclimating to running a different offense for the PG position, so that might be a work in progress. Allen's preseason was uneven. Prob not a surprise Z is starting. Hope to see more offense from Stokes this year.

PostPosted: 05/12/17 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
The Liberty have definitely run some modified (simplified?) triangle the last couple of years. My concern is the mixed messages we're getting about running and playing the triangle. With the Knicks, Hornacek appeared to want to play a more free-flowing style while Jackson pushed for the triangle. Not necessarily incompatible, but they seemed to yo-yo back and forth and didn't do either well. The trick is integrating the concepts. The WNBA season is fairly short, and obviously training camp is ridiculously short. To top it off, you have key players arriving late. I don't think they can just flip a switch from what happened on Sunday. However, as people have pointed out, maybe New York gets lucky because San Antonio is dealing with their own late arrivals and injured players as well as the rebuilding process in general.

Yeah these are all good points and I can understand every concern. I think Piph not starting is also an indicator of uncertainty. If the Libs are going to win a title Sugar and Piph need to play together. So one question is, when will Piph be up to speed with the offense from the perspective of a point guard? Honestly the thought that Allen is not starting is also a worry. I'm def more concerned than I was this morning.

Besides SAS having uncertainty themselves, one hope is that they'll be sharp the way they were opening night each of the last two years. After bad preseasons both years they came out really strong on opening night each time.

PostPosted: 05/12/17 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Boyd in starting 5 is obvious message - they are really willing to run. Or at least try to run.

Last edited by Lumes on 05/12/17 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 05/12/17 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Predict substitutions in first 3 minutes.

- Amanda Gorman
root_thing

PostPosted: 05/12/17 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn't read too much into tomorrow's starting line-up. Bill is probably just trying to survive until things jell or become clearer. Putting Zellous out there with Stokes makes some sense since they were teammates in Turkey. They've been playing together nonstop for a year now. Kiah and Shavonte were also swing players who played a lot with both units last year. So, even though it's technically two members of the 1st Unit and three from the 2nd Unit, Stokes and Zellous are really a bridge. Worse case scenario, if the offense bogs down as badly as it did on Sunday, Zellous has the ability to go one-on-one whereas a spot-up shooter like Allen is more dependent on a functioning offense.

PostPosted: 05/12/17 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The really weird thing is we know tomorrow's starting lineup before we know the final roster

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
LibFan25

PostPosted: 05/12/17 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Yeah these are all good points and I can understand every concern. I think Piph not starting is also an indicator of uncertainty. If the Libs are going to win a title Sugar and Piph need to play together. So one question is, when will Piph be up to speed with the offense from the perspective of a point guard? Honestly the thought that Allen is not starting is also a worry. I'm def more concerned than I was this morning.

Besides SAS having uncertainty themselves, one hope is that they'll be sharp the way they were opening night each of the last two years. After bad preseasons both years they came out really strong on opening night each time.

yup that's the first thing came to my mind, its a bad sign don't care how you twist it around. we need a SF. im hoping Boyd has a good season,i hope she locks down that starting spot and avg over 10 pts and 6ast a game. i would be one happy Libs fan.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 05/12/17 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

just proves me right on this offseason about the (ignored) need for a 3 and Bill's lack of confidence in Allen.

We'll see we normally start slow so I bet this is written on an etch a sketch

also find it weird that the lineup is before the final roster.

Boyd has looked good this preseason so I feel better...will be interesting to see where Prince plays the bulk of her time.

Still wanna see final roster before I give my full opinion. But given the hard SOS after SA do need a W tomorrow to avoid a very bad start. But I'm still confident...its a good lineup

PostPosted: 05/12/17 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tick tock tick tock..waiting on the final roster..makes me wonder is trade talk is going on behind the scenes?

Shades

PostPosted: 05/12/17 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
tick tock tick tock..waiting on the final roster..makes me wonder is trade talk is going on behind the scenes?

No.... just stalling. Hoping teams like SAN and DAL who still might look at waiver wire pickups will grab what's already out there, like O'Hea, January, Phillips, Faris.... instead of grabbing their cut player.

Might NYL be interested in these latest cuts from other teams? I dunno... not thinking so.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
zvyn3

PostPosted: 05/12/17 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cierra tweeted this so I'm assuming she's on.

https://twitter.com/c_burdick11/status/863119548937105408

toad455

PostPosted: 05/12/17 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lindsay Allen waived. Burdick & Nayo make the final roster.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY

Last edited by toad455 on 05/12/17 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richyyy

Lindsay Allen's gone: http://liberty.wnba.com/news/liberty-announces-2017-opening-day-roster/

Lindsay Allen is gone. Don't know if she was cut.

http://liberty.wnba.com/news/liberty-announces-2017-opening-day-roster/

PostPosted: 05/12/17 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i knew it. the Libs is gonna sink or swim with Boyd and Hartley this year, if they fail Expect again next year looking for another PG in the Deep 2018 draft, Ms. Canada from UCLA or Ms. Brown from Duke Both dynamic players i will be excited about watching closely.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/12/17 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Lindsay Allen's gone: http://liberty.wnba.com/news/liberty-announces-2017-opening-day-roster/

mildly Surprised

gl with Boyd/Hartley as your PGs. But maybe Piph bails them out.

- Amanda Gorman
Randy

PostPosted: 05/12/17 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

What other options are there than getting cut?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/12/17 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
root_thing wrote:

What other options are there than getting cut?

Could've been traded for a pick, I suppose, theoretically. Presumably to LA, if that were the case, seeing as everyone else is at their opening day limit.

But yeah, almost certainly cut.

PostPosted: 05/12/17 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sounds like the same situation that Amber Orrange was in, quiet introverted players don't seem to be Bills cup of tea. Although I think Allen was even more vocal than Amber.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 51 of 80

Jump to: