Board Junkies Forums

Los Angeles Sparks 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bcdawg04

PostPosted: 05/11/17 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
LA could still cut Wiese/Williams,then sign O'Hea.

Why would they do that?

If it were up to Agler, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it happen.

zune69

PostPosted: 05/11/17 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Why would they do that?

1.Sparks need a 3 pt shooter
2.Williams and Sims are too similar.
3.O'Hea played one season for Agler....shot 44%40%/90%
4.O'Hea and Parker are very good friends.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/11/17 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

Laughing

At this point he pretty much has to keep two posts, at least until CP and JLav arrive. So if they are only going with 11, there's not much wriggle room amongst the guards. At this point they're only going to waive Wiese if they think she has zero prospects as a pro, which is not what is coming out of camp, and waiving BayBay would make even less sense.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 05/11/17 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He certainly might consider dropping one of the two add-on posts (AWT and TJJ?) later and then bring O'Hea in.

- Amanda Gorman
toad455

PostPosted: 05/11/17 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Probable line-up for Saturday:

PG: Gray
SG: Sims/Wiese
SF: Beard/Ruef
PF: Ogwumike/Jackson-Jones
C: Warley-Talbert

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 05/11/17 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

If that's true, SEA better stomp all over that

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
zune69

PostPosted: 05/11/17 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
He certainly might consider dropping one of the two add-on posts (AWT and TJJ?) later and then bring O'Hea in.

fair enough

toad455 wrote:

Favorable matchup for Wiese(offensively).Loyd/KML are both undersized.Hopefully Agler gives the rookie 10-15 minutes.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/11/17 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With 8 players, they need to avg 25 min per available player. Should be fun to watch Surprised

Zune, you went from suggesting Wiese get cut to hoping she gets big minutes.
Smile You're giving me whiplash

adamj95

PostPosted: 05/11/17 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why did O'Hea leave LA in the first place? I remember her playing with them back in 2013 when I first started watching WNBA.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/11/17 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Assuming that's who they keep.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 05/11/17 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mikaela Ruef is a career .164 3-pt shooter in college, so I'm guessing she's more of a 6'3 post player? Can anybody remember her?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/11/17 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
Why did O'Hea leave LA in the first place? I remember her playing with them back in 2013 when I first started watching WNBA.

LA traded her to Seattle for a second-round pick.

PostPosted: 05/11/17 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Mikaela Ruef is a career .164 3-pt shooter in college, so I'm guessing she's more of a 6'3 post player? Can anybody remember her?

yeah. scrappy. energetic. Kind of Asia Taylor-like.

- Amanda Gorman
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/11/17 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

I remember her pretty well considering she has played the last 3 seasons down here, and perimeter shooting is not her forte. She is 7/52 = 13.5% over her last 3 WNBL seasons.
I'm a Ruefie fan but she is tweeneriffic in the WNBA. She's got a nose for the ball and the hustle to go with it, so IMO the 4 is her only possible position.

PostPosted: 05/11/17 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
tfan wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
tfan wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
tfan wrote:
I don't think Weise has a slow release. At least not when she is tightly covered and they need a shot/bucket. She just plants her feet and fires in one motion. Karli Samuelson is the one who's release I'd be concerned with. She has that Samuelson family shooting motion.

You mean those 96 3s she shot at 48.5% even though everyone knows she is one of the best 3 pt shooters in the nation Rolling Eyes Not only does she have a quick release as she is set as she catches, she shoots way beyond the arc.

Why does she shoot way beyond the arc if she has a quick release?

What does that have to do with the release? She has a quick release period, BUT she also has that type of range and that is why she spreads the floor so much on defense. BTW shooting 53.5% preseason Wink

Release speed (along with quickness, size, release point and demonstrated ability to drive) affects whether a player can get their shot off at the 3-point line. if they can't get it off at the three point line - they have to back up even further.

You missed the part where very few players can shoot with that range and accuracy, she shoots with that range because she CAN. Just say if you don't like her but stop making shit up.

Are you claiming she shoots just as well from behind the three point line as she does at the line? I think she would be the first player in basketball ever to be able to do that. And if she doesn't shoot as well - why does she do it?

Saying Samuelson has issues with her release (her aim part) is not "making shit up". It's just an opinion, as is your statement that she has a quick release.Adding "period" to your statement doesn't make it a fact. Only detailed analysis of film of shooters would make any statements about release speed a fact.

I don't dislike Samuelson. You should just realize that if you use the eye-roll emoji in a response you are going to get push-back.

You made a statement lumping the family together like it was a fact they shoot the same, that is not true. The elder and the middle samuelson have totally different shots, then you say she has a slow release and bring up aim, when in fact she was face guarded most of the time, but still was able to tie Stanfords single season 3 point record along with accuracy in the top couple of shooters in the nation for the last 2 years and yes I am saying she is accurate from beyond the arc, in fact the line didn't even seem to phase her wherever it was. And again you ignore the fact that she CAN shoot that far out which has nothing to do with release, it is called range! So don't be surprised that I questioned what you said.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 05/11/17 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:

yeah. scrappy. energetic. Kind of Asia Taylor-like.

Agree, strength was also passing and making reads on cuts and to the low post.

zune69

PostPosted: 05/11/17 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Smile

I'm still not sold on Wiese.But with Samuelson going down,Wiese' chances of making the final roster have significantly increased.If the sparks only have 8 in uniform versus seattle,Agler should give the rookie a handful of minutes in the fist half.If all goes well,give Wiese a second dose in the 2nd half.If Wiese makes the final cut,i'll be rooting for her.

tfan

PostPosted: 05/11/17 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:

You made a statement lumping the family together like it was a fact they shoot the same, that is not true. The elder and the middle samuelson have totally different shots, then you say she has a slow release and bring up aim, when in fact she was face guarded most of the time, but still was able to tie Stanfords single season 3 point record along with accuracy in the top couple of shooters in the nation for the last 2 years and yes I am saying she is accurate from beyond the arc, in fact the line didn't even seem to phase her wherever it was. And again you ignore the fact that she CAN shoot that far out which has nothing to do with release, it is called range! So don't be surprised that I questioned what you said.

I think the Samuelson family has a similar shot style with a distinctive aim and release point. With her release point I don't see her getting off 3 point shots if she is "face guarded" - unless she backs up even further and the defender remains at the 3-point line. You are ignoring the question of why she shoots that far out and is she as accurate from far out as she is at the line. Feel free to disagree - as it is just two opinions.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/11/17 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Smile

I'm still not sold on Wiese.But with Samuelson going down,Wiese' chances of making the final roster have significantly increased.If the sparks only have 8 in uniform versus seattle,Agler should give the rookie a handful of minutes in the fist half.If all goes well,give Wiese a second dose in the 2nd half.If Wiese makes the final cut,i'll be rooting for her.

Conceivably, Wiese can back up 1-3, although I'm not sure she's ready for minutes at the PG in a real WNBA game. I'm guessing Gray/Sims get all the minutes at PG. If Sparks guards get into foul trouble, her minute potential might be more than she bargained for. Can the Sparks even be allowed to play tough defense?

CompSci87

PostPosted: 05/11/17 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Karlie shot from that far out in college because she's accurate from out there, and she would often get wide open looks there from defenders who weren't used to defending that far out. Being wide open is an advantage no matter how quick your release is.

She has a pretty quick release, but starts her motion from fairly low, so getting blocked by a close defender is certainly a concern. She has the ability to drive around a defender who's overcommitted to closing out and either shoot a midrange pullup or continue to the hoop. She also has a turn and step back move that lets her get a 3 off the dribble.

How it all would work against pro competition I don't pretend to know.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/11/17 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CompSci87 wrote:
Karlie shot from that far out in college because she's accurate from out there, and she would often get wide open looks there from defenders who weren't used to defending that far out. Being wide open is an advantage no matter how quick your release is.

She has a pretty quick release, but starts her motion from fairly low, so getting blocked by a close defender is certainly a concern. She has the ability to drive around a defender who's overcommitted to closing out and either shoot a midrange pullup or continue to the hoop. She also has a turn and step back move that lets her get a 3 off the dribble.

How it all would work against pro competition I don't pretend to know.

good analysis. I saw her shoot long distance many times and seemingly with just as much accuracy as toeing the line. I haven't heard what her injury is but that it is bad enough that she will definitely be out long enough that chances are her chances are done for this year. Based on nothing but a guess, I'm kinda thinking ankle since that is what she injured at the final four. I think she showed enough in camp though that, assuming she is recovered by then, she will get another look next year. Hopefully she can play overseas as well.

- Amanda Gorman
tfan

PostPosted: 05/11/17 11:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-6wDUOwOep0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/12/17 12:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Big chance that Bird doesnt play and possibility of no Stewart and Quinn..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
zune69

PostPosted: 05/12/17 2:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Smile

Conceivably, Wiese can back up 1-3, although I'm not sure she's ready for minutes at the PG in a real WNBA game. I'm guessing Gray/Sims get all the minutes at PG. If Sparks guards get into foul trouble, her minute potential might be more than she bargained for.Can the Sparks even be allowed to play tough defense?

Fortunately for Wiese,seattle has some deficiencies of their own.Loyd's size,Clark's lack of length/offense,KML's defense,and Quinns lack of defense at pg.If Bird/Quinn are both sidelined,Peterson will need to step up and give the storm 10-15 minutes.You're 100% right about the defense.The sparks must avoid over aggressive dumb fouls,especially Nneka.

If Bird and Stewart DNP.....advantage sparks.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/12/17 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

great info in this podcast:
http://dishnswish.libsyn.com/dishin-swishin-051217-podcast-can-brian-aglers-la-sparks-be-the-first-wnba-champion-to-repeat-since-the-2001-02-sparks

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 17 of 21

Jump to: