Board Junkies Forums

Dallas Wings 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/09/17 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Well Prince in Phoenix is still in the mix as well for a third rounder to make a roster.

That's who I voted for! (3rd rounder making the roster)

same , i felt she was the most obvious choice and the situation she landed in was perfect.

PostPosted: 05/09/17 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Well Prince in Phoenix is still in the mix as well for a third rounder to make a roster.

But I didn't say ANY 3rd rounder. Prince played a substantial role for four years and started for three. She wasn't filler. She also played on the USAB U18 team. Had she not had such an injury-plagued career, she might have been much higher.

Similar for Epps, who played four years and started three, was three-time All SEC first team, and on the watch lists for every national POY award. Most people expected her to be higher.

I was pretty specific about this player. Her college resume is pretty skimpy and would not earn a second glance from fans were it not for the name on the front of her uniform.

zvyn3

PostPosted: 05/09/17 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
Wings waive Tiffany Bias and Jordan Hooper

Bad move.

Not the bias part. She was a mess saturday night tbh. Cant judge chong bcuz she was not there but her pedigree speaks louder.

Can't judge Bias by one game either. What pedigree does Chong have?

Judging bias off a half a season and a few pre season games. Our team pooked abissmal with biased running the point last game . albeit 5 assists she had 3 turnovers in which should have been about 9 with the loose balls and weird passes she through. She didnt do herself any favors is all im saying. And the pedigree of Sue bird , moriah Jefferson , renee montgomery to name a few and im not even a uconn fan Rolling Eyes

Not quite sure what you mean.

He means that she is from UConn. They have a pretty good track record of developing players and getting them ready for the WNBA. And I'm not a UConn fan either. Are you intentionally being obtuse? If you disagree with his assessment, then state it, but don't act like you have no idea what he's talking about.

So you're saying that just because she's from UConn it means she's going to be a good WNBA player? Why isn't Tierney Lawlor on a team?

That's not even close to what I wrote. I simply stated what WNBA 09 was clearly implying that you seemed to be intentionally not understanding. I even added "If you disagree with his assessment, then state it, but don't act like you have no idea what he's talking about." I never said spoke to the point of whether or not Chong's UConn pedigree made her a better option for the backup PG slot. Having seen neither preseason game (nor the Wings' practices), I am ill-informed to make that assessment.

I wasn't intentionally not understanding and I do disagree with his point. I thought that was pretty clear.

tfan

PostPosted: 05/09/17 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22

PostPosted: 05/09/17 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wowww. Why y'all so fucking harsh? How quickly it goes from a forum of information sharing to a major pissing contest. The initial post on this thread, a thread meant for those in search of all news regarding the Wings, began with firsthand observation of Chong and Bias at camp for over 2 hours. Information was shared of candid observations to allow WNBA enthusiasts a glimpse of the sport they love. Chong, if she makes the team began earning her way on the team from the opening shooting drill. I am not a uconn fan at all, although I promised my cousin I would start to support them after she came to dallas to watch and I vehemently cheered against them in the semis. However, the speculation was that the expectations and competition are a bit higher at Uconn and that may have lead to her ability to step in and perform. But the observation remains, she stepped in and outperformed Bias. So much so that she was confident enough to skip the preseason tilt to go to graduation.

zvyn3

PostPosted: 05/09/17 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:
Wowww. Why y'all so fucking harsh? How quickly it goes from a forum of information sharing to a major pissing contest. The initial post on this thread, a thread meant for those in search of all news regarding the Wings, began with firsthand observation of Chong and Bias at camp for over 2 hours. Information was shared of candid observations to allow WNBA enthusiasts a glimpse of the sport they love. Chong, if she makes the team began earning her way on the team from the opening shooting drill. I am not a uconn fan at all, although I promised my cousin I would start to support them after she came to dallas to watch and I vehemently cheered against them in the semis. However, the speculation was that the expectations and competition are a bit higher at Uconn and that may have lead to her ability to step in and perform. But the observation remains, she stepped in and outperformed Bias. So much so that she was confident enough to skip the preseason tilt to go to graduation.

It wasn't a matter of being confident. I have no doubt Chong wouldn't have gone to graduation if she hadn't already been told her spot was secure.

shontay33

PostPosted: 05/10/17 1:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

But I didn't say ANY 3rd rounder. Prince played a substantial role for four years and started for three. She wasn't filler. She also played on the USAB U18 team. Had she not had such an injury-plagued career, she might have been much higher.

Similar for Epps, who played four years and started three, was three-time All SEC first team, and on the watch lists for every national POY award. Most people expected her to be higher.

I was pretty specific about this player. Her college resume is pretty skimpy and would not earn a second glance from fans were it not for the name on the front of her uniform.

Just because a player is not first team all this and that doesn't mean they are not worth playing in the WNBA. Maybe she did exactly what it took to become a pro basketball player because the coaches prepared her for that. Also, there have been other UCONN players that have been drafted and cut from the WNBA. Keep in mind that coaches look and hear about players when they are in high school. They also go to practices as well so they do their homework.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 05/10/17 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If chong does stick, only 3 wnba teams wont have a player that went to Uconn.
sigur3

PostPosted: 05/10/17 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phillips waived

PostPosted: 05/10/17 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Phillips waived

Goodbye Cambage Laughing

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 05/10/17 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And the Wings continue to be a disaster. Just wow. Get her Sun!

FemmeFatale

PostPosted: 05/10/17 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Phillips waived

Plot twist!!

Lol did anyone see this coming.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/10/17 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I find it amusing when people get all defensive as a result of seeing what they wanted to see rather than paying attention to what someone actually wrote and intended.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/10/17 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FemmeFatale wrote:

Plot twist!!

No way. Not only doesn't make sense in the hope of luring Cambage over, it creates an imbalance in the roster. I'm thinking there might be more moves coming?

Diggins/Chong
Gray/Davis
Christmas/[Powers]
Johnson/Shaqhator/Thornton
Paris/Lewis/Plaisance

See an imbalance there? One too many posts and down one guard.

I kinda wonder if this was like the Prahalis situation where the coach wanted to start one of the rookies ahead of Phillips and she wasn't having it. That would kinda make sense of things.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 05/10/17 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
Phillips waived

Goodbye Cambage Laughing

Phillips getting cut over Thornton & Plaisance is very shocking!! I wonder if a team like Phoenix or Chicago will grab her. Was Phillips under contract?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
UK1996

PostPosted: 05/10/17 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hot Damn. Phillips getting waived, really removes any stability in the Wings backcourt. Fred must really be impressed with Gray. I wonder if a trade is about to happen.

PostPosted: 05/10/17 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Going with my theory that the Philips cut was something unexpected for the Wings, they could bring back Bias for somebody that knows their system.... or maybe take a peek at Fitzgerald? Hodges and McCray are floating around.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/10/17 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Going with my theory that the Philips cut was something unexpected for the Wings, they could bring back Bias for somebody that knows their system.... or maybe take a peek at Fitzgerald? Hodges and McCray are floating around.

Phillips is better than all 4 of those mentioned. Something is odd here.

zune69

PostPosted: 05/10/17 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69

PostPosted: 05/10/17 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phillips probably got upset that she was part of a trade package.

LibFan25

PostPosted: 05/10/17 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jim Fuller‏ @NHRJimFuller 2h2 hours ago

@DallasWings coach Fred Williams on ex #UConn guard Saniya Chong: "She understands winning, she understands her role as a point guard."

More from Fred Williams on #UConn grad Saniya Chong: "I look to utilize her a great deal this season & rely on her great basketball IQ."

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/10/17 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

Why exactly would that lead to them letting her walk for nothing and go wherever the hell she wants?

PostPosted: 05/10/17 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Why exactly would that lead to them letting her walk for nothing and go wherever the hell she wants?

Phillips doesn't have much trade value imo.Erin's had a short shelf life with the last 3 teams she's played for,plus she has a max contract.It's possible Phillips got waived at her own request,"Start me,or trade/waive me.The last thing this young dallas team needs in the locker room is a disgruntled player.

Last edited by zune69 on 05/10/17 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 05/10/17 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's possible they decided a max contract is too much for a player who has never been able to hold a starting job in nine WNBA seasons.

PostPosted: 05/10/17 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
It's possible they decided a max contract is too much for a player who has never been able to hold a starting job in nine WNBA seasons.

Possible when you put it that way, but in Dallas's case they wouldn't be anywhere near the cap would they?

PostPosted: 05/10/17 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Phillips waived

Omg i just heard on IG. No F*cki. Way This is all the way F*cked up now. I wasn't the greatest fan of phillips but she was reliable and as dependable of a player we had. Let me make some calls Mad

PostPosted: 05/10/17 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
pilight wrote:

Possible when you put it that way, but in Dallas's case they wouldn't be anywhere near the cap would they?

No, which is why they might've just swallowed her contract when waiving her. Unless they managed to work out a buyout (or get lucky and someone claims her off waivers), they'll be paying her just as much to go away as they would've paid her to stay.

PostPosted: 05/10/17 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dallas is really gonna rely on the Fab 5 (plus Thornton) to contribute a lot this year, I see. Good luck with that.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/10/17 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:

@DallasWings coach Fred Williams on ex #UConn guard Saniya Chong: "She understands winning, she understands her role as a point guard."

More from Fred Williams on #UConn grad Saniya Chong: "I look to utilize her a great deal this season & rely on her great basketball IQ."

Hes been lovestruck by that pedigree thing i was referring to earlier in the thread. I knew it smh. The waiving of phillips better mean were on all 11 teams hotline trying to create something better yet , what i suggested in the Fever thread pickup Fitzgerald . she was great against us saturday night she was obviously better than wheeler too the najed eye "that night" and the team seemed more confident with her at the helm . BRING FEFI

PostPosted: 05/10/17 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe they're bringing in another guard/wing and will dump Thornton or Plaisance?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/10/17 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Maybe they're bringing in another guard/wing and will dump Thornton or Plaisance?

Thats what im hoping but no one seems to know whats going on at UTA at the moment so i would not get too excited about anything transpiring. For some reason fred is not as good persuading others. Thus the reason Glo Jo is still a wing .Ive heard how that was suppose to go to go ect.... so im not holding my breath about a big signing.

PostPosted: 05/10/17 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan

PostPosted: 05/10/17 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:

Not quite as good as "she's got a great shot or great quickness or great size or great passing ability, etc". That is, would rather hear praise of the tangibles, than the "intangibles".

Queenie

PostPosted: 05/10/17 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Phillips told the Wings she wasn't showing up, so they're like "eh, whatever".

PostPosted: 05/10/17 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I wonder if Phillips told the Wings she wasn't showing up, so they're like "eh, whatever".

She was there.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/10/17 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Erin Phillips waived by WNBA club Dallas Wings, next step uncertain

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/erin-phillips-waived-by-wnba-club-dallas-wings-next-step-uncertain-20170510-gw2648.html

Quote:
The move has been a shock with Phillips' defence and leadership strongly admired by her Wings teammates.

Quote:
Under the WNBA rules, Phillips will go onto waivers for a few days which gives teams a chance to pick her up immediately. She will then become a free agent and any club could sign her.

But at this time of year clubs are continuously waiving players to cut down their own rosters which could make it tough for her to be immediately picked up.

Phillips and her wife Tracy and their twins would also have to move cities should she be signed by another club.

So Phillips may need to wait a few weeks before injuries or some other problem makes another WNBA club look her way.

Opals guard Rachel Jarry has also been waived from the Atlanta Dream's roster. Like Opals teammate Phillips she will be hoping another club could need her talents.

Queenie

PostPosted: 05/10/17 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay, I didn't realize she was there. All right, I am very WTF at Dallas now.

PostPosted: 05/10/17 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fred is a believer in his young core and is confident he can go to the playoffs with this group.

PostPosted: 05/10/17 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
FemmeFatale wrote:

Plot twist!!

No way. Not only doesn't make sense in the hope of luring Cambage over, it creates an imbalance in the roster. I'm thinking there might be more moves coming?

Diggins/Chong
Gray/Davis
Christmas/[Powers]
Johnson/Shaqhator/Thornton
Paris/Lewis/Plaisance

See an imbalance there? One too many posts and down one guard.

I kinda wonder if this was like the Prahalis situation where the coach wanted to start one of the rookies ahead of Phillips and she wasn't having it. That would kinda make sense of things.

IDK once Powers is healthy I think the six perimeter players will all get decent minutes, they don't really need a 7th. Chong gets all the minutes Diggins is off the floor (which I doubt is more than 10 minutes a night), if they really, really, really like Chong as the quotes lead us to believe you might even see Diggins play some two with Chong at the one. Christmas has gotten better and better each year in Dallas she can easily play 30 minutes a night at the two or the three. Gray and Davis got brought in as two of the most pro-ready rookies in the draft both can do 15-25 a night until Powers returns, and both can play the 2 or the 3. When Powers is back to 100% she'll be playing ahead of the rookies along with Christmas and Diggins so there really aren't too many minutes to spare if all 6 perimeter players are active and the young guns are being developed.

And if Akhator or Thornton are fast enough they both can at least play some 3 on the defensive end. I don't think either has the range for the offensive side of the ball but that is another option in a pinch, but I don't think it will even be necisary.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/10/17 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, they could try to get by this way, but why? They've left themselves thin at guard before with Diggins, Sims, or Riquna... take your pick, taking turns going down. They've been through all that so why just protect themselves by having a more balanced roster? If they don't do additional moves, I'll be critical for sure. If Thorton proves effective as a backup SF, I'd ease off, but it's hard to believe they preferred Thornton over Hooper. She must be dazzling at practice.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/10/17 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah but it is also hard to believe that anyone on the waiver wire is going to do more for them than Phillips, who was a tough vet, a good role model, really wanted to be there, on a team that already has 5 rookies, someone who has played less than a season in Thorton, and a sophomore still rehabbing an injury. Why not just keep Erin? So who knows what Dallas is thinking?

blaase22

PostPosted: 05/10/17 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Fred is a believer in his young core and is confident he can go to the playoffs with this group.

Fred is delusional Laughing

Shades

PostPosted: 05/10/17 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
So who knows what Dallas is thinking?

Whatever guard the Liberty are cutting, come to Papa?
Faris, come to Papa?
Ting, come to Papa?
Samuelson, Wiese, or Hopkins, come to Papa?

Agler has been in a bit of a stall himself.

Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 05/10/17 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I told myself I wouldn't comment anymore, but I can't resist. So you guys still think these GM's and coaches pick the best talent for rosters? Have any of you seen Chong play? Laughing Laughing Laughing

I think sooner or later more and more of you will see exactly what I see. That the WNBA is a complete joke.

PostPosted: 05/11/17 12:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dallas Wings waive captain Erin Phillips in surprising move to finalize roster

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/other-sports/wnba/2017/05/10/dallas-wings-waive-veteran-guard-erin-phillips-finalize-roster

Just like Kahleah Copper, this guy may be assuming it's the last move because the roster is at 12.

Quote:
"That is definitely a huge surprise," Wings guard Skylar Diggins-Smith said before she was inducted into the Boys and Girls Club Hall of Fame at a ceremony Wednesday. "Erin is somebody who has been in this league for a long time. Two-time champion, somebody that I have so much respect for as a woman and as an athlete."

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/11/17 6:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dallas need solid defense and veteran leadership and then they waive Erin Philips Laughing

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/11/17 7:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Dallas need solid defense and veteran leadership and then they waive Erin Philips Laughing

*Face Palm*

PostPosted: 05/11/17 8:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe dallas has finally decided to part ways with Cambage.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/11/17 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Saniya Chong Impressing Her Coaches Early

http://www.theuconnblog.com/2017/5/11/15619946/saniya-chong-uconn-huskies-wnba-impressing-dallas-wings-early

Quote:
“I thought she had grown over the years, especially with the UConn streak,” he said. “And she got more minutes than any other point guard that went into the pros.”

Quote:
“She comes out of a structure of a championship DNA organization in UConn,” he said. “And when you have that type of player, she understands winning, she understands her role as a point guard who can distribute the basketball and set up the team.”

Quote:
“I'm so happy for her,” [Breanna Stewart] said. “She's my best friend... Just to see the jump she made, how she stepped up in her senior year and took on a leadership role that nobody really knew if it was there or not, and she took it and just put herself in a great position in Dallas."

Quote:
Through the preseason, Chong impressed her coaches by facilitating the offense and leading from the point. Those traits will give her the opportunity to see a solid number of minutes early on.

“She's a great floor lead,” said Williams. “I look to utilize her a great deal this season and rely on her great basketball IQ.”

zvyn3

PostPosted: 05/11/17 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
I told myself I wouldn't comment anymore, but I can't resist. So you guys still think these GM's and coaches pick the best talent for rosters? Have any of you seen Chong play? Laughing Laughing Laughing

I think sooner or later more and more of you will see exactly what I see. That the WNBA is a complete joke.

My thoughts exactly. For the first paragraph, anyway.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 11 of 18

Jump to: