RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBA Power Rankings
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 05/08/17 2:00 pm    ::: WNBA Power Rankings Reply Reply with quote

Starting with ESPNW's preseason rankings. More extensive analysis at the link
http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/19312317/minnesota-lynx-beat-defending-champion-los-angeles-sparks-no-1-spot-preseason-wnba-power-rankings

1. Minnesota Lynx
Ah, the agony of just missing a fourth title last year! But the Lynx are all the more motivated, led by a perennial MVP candidate, forward Maya Moore, and her 19.3 points per game.

2. Los Angeles Sparks
And who hit that shot to beat the Lynx? Nneka Ogwumike, whose 2016 season was flat-out fabulous.

3. New York Liberty
Center Tina Charles always produces -- she led the league in scoring (21.5 PPG) and rebounding averages (9.9) last season -- and she's still fine-tuning some things about her game.

4. Washington Mystics
OK, everybody is intrigued by the Mystics, who made the biggest offseason move of any team in acquiring the 2015 MVP, guard/forward Elena Delle Donne.

5. Seattle Storm
Point guard Sue Bird sent a message last season with her superfit physique and her performance. Her 14th season was kind of a turn-back-the-clock display.

6. Phoenix Mercury
This was just a weird team last year, one that wasn't as good on court as it was on paper.

7. Atlanta Dream
This is another team that is hard to project, because the Dream won't have superstar Angel McCoughtry, who was the No. 1 draft pick in 2009. She's resting this season.

8. Indiana Fever
Everyone said a tearful goodbye last year to legendary forward Tamika Catchings, who retired. She is now in a front-office role with the Pacers/Fever, but she won't be there anymore to lead the Fever on court.

9. Dallas Wings
The Wings -- while still called the Shock -- made it to the postseason in their last season in Tulsa (2015), but they fell short last year.

10. Connecticut Sun
Former No. 1 draft pick Chiney Ogwumike, after missing 2015 with injury, returned last year and averaged 12.6 PPG and 6.7 RPG. She seemed poised to come in even stronger this year, but an Achilles injury suffered overseas will keep her out for the entirety of this WNBA season.

11. Chicago Sky
New coach Amber Stocks got championship experience as an assistant last year, when she was with the Sparks. Now she needs to remake a Sky team without Elena Delle Donne, who forced a trade to Washington.

12. San Antonio Stars
Maybe it seems too predictably skeptical to put the teams run by first-year coaches at the bottom of the rankings. But it's not anything against San Antonio's Vickie Johnson and Chicago's Stocks.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Lumes

PostPosted: 05/08/17 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sure, Atlanta on 7th is the highest position for Dream during this season

I thought, SAS would finish on 10, but having look at Plum - she is real thing. Very dynamic backcourt, 2 perimeter stoppers, a lot of big bodies in frontcourt to have 6 fouls on Griner. SAS much deeper, then Dream or Fever, or CT. I would bet them to make PO

5thmantheme

PostPosted: 05/08/17 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1 Lynx
2 Sparks , line-up change , Beard + Carson have to chase more SGs around than last year.

3 4 5 6
NY is down 3 starters and has a size gap like last years Sun and Sky, but so what?
Wash how soon can they jell?
Storm needed a big and a big-big, a small guard and back-up point, got them.
Merc , who wants to bet they have a better record this year?

7 8 9 = rebuild on the fly / doldrums / smidge of a chance at a higher pick
Sky Fever Sun

10 Atl , Angel's production replaced by ... right time to look at lottery

11 12
Wings replace their top 2 players from last year with rookies, health, and hope
Stars can get +5 wins from #1 , +2 wins from #5 , +1 win from PG improvement

pilight

PostPosted: 05/09/17 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sparks sit atop AP preseason WNBA poll; Lynx are 2nd

http://www.dailyjournal.net/2017/05/09/bkl-wnba-power-rankings/

Quote:
New York is third in the poll, followed by Washington, Seattle, Phoenix and Indiana. Atlanta, Dallas, Chicago, Connecticut and San Antonio round out the poll.

PostPosted: 05/09/17 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sparks have a turnover in a starting position and more in the roster in general. Not sure what the AP are thinking. Don't believe they are all that engaged.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 05/09/17 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yikes, no love for the finals MVP from the AP Shocked

Shades

PostPosted: 05/09/17 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pilight left out the most important part.

Quote:
The Lynx are led by Maya Moore, who was the 16-member panel’s choice as preseason player of the year.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/09/17 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Sparks have a turnover in a starting position and more in the roster in general. Not sure what the AP are thinking. Don't believe they are all that engaged.

Here's the voter by voter breakdown

http://collegebasketball.ap.org/ap-wnba-preseason-poll

Brian Gosset seems to be the wildcard, putting Indiana at #3 and New York at #9.

PostPosted: 05/09/17 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:

Consensus seems to Be LA , Minny , NY & Wash the 4 primary cities. Great for exposure . But no love to my wings , glad everyone is picking us at 10/11 . Means we have no expectations so when were great it will be a surprise and if were not then we got a shot at #1 next year. #Content

PostPosted: 05/09/17 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:

Consensus seems to Be LA , Minny , NY & Wash the 4 primary cities. Great for exposure . But no love to my wings , glad everyone is picking us at 10/11 . Means we have no expectations so when were great it will be a surprise and if were not then we got a shot at #1 next year. #Content

Can you imagine adding A'ja Wilson and Cambage in the same season? Me not wanna play no more.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/09/17 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:

Can you imagine adding A'ja Wilson and Cambage in the same season? Me not wanna play no more.

yes i could , and i would scream at the top of my lungs upgrade my STH package and become a staff member if that ever happned, But i wont hold my breathe about the ladder option of the 2

PostPosted: 05/11/17 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Which is the tallest team in the W for this upcoming season?
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/11/17 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Which is the tallest team in the W for this upcoming season?

My guess would be Chicago this year.

PostPosted: 05/11/17 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tall?

NY can go Prince - Z - RAllen - Charles - Zahui , at least some of the time match-up wise.
strong 5'9" , 5'10" , 6'2" , 6'4" , strong 6'5"

Sun when Bentley sits, is going
5'9" , 5'9" , 6'2" , 6'3" , 6'5"+

Sky might have to play Cappie at the 1 with Sloot out, but I doubt they want a whole lot 2 small forwards out there at both wings. Sloot - Cappie - Breland - Twin Towers
5'9" , 5'9" , 6'3" , 6'7" , 6'5"

Merc really oughta not go super tall, but they still might try it anyway, if they go with Prince + George.
thin 5'9" , 6'0" , 6'2" , 6'4" , 6'8"

Sparks could go tall if injuries happen, something like Sims - Gray - Parker - Nneka - Lav
5'8" , 5'11" , 6'4" , 6'2" , 6'4"

I expect the Merc's tall line-up, will get the most minutes.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 05/11/17 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

5thmantheme wrote:
Tall?

NY can go Prince - Z - RAllen - Charles - Zahui , at least some of the time match-up wise.
strong 5'9" , 5'10" , 6'2" , 6'4" , strong 6'5"

Sun when Bentley sits, is going
5'9" , 5'9" , 6'2" , 6'3" , 6'5"+

Sky might have to play Cappie at the 1 with Sloot out, but I doubt they want a whole lot 2 small forwards out there at both wings. Sloot - Cappie - Breland - Twin Towers
5'9" , 5'9" , 6'3" , 6'7" , 6'5"

Merc really oughta not go super tall, but they still might try it anyway, if they go with Prince + George.
thin 5'9" , 6'0" , 6'2" , 6'4" , 6'8"

Sparks could go tall if injuries happen, something like Sims - Gray - Parker - Nneka - Lav
5'8" , 5'11" , 6'4" , 6'2" , 6'4"

I expect the Merc's tall line-up, will get the most minutes.

Cool analysis. I was thinking more in terms of a down and dirty average height of each team.
5thmantheme

PostPosted: 05/12/17 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks. I think pilight posts an average height of the league, at some point every year.

I'd hazard a guess that the Sun might just reach 6'1" and the Sky too if they can keep Quigley at the 2 most of the time. Merc had nobody shorter that 6'0" for the first half of last year, maybe the tallest team ever. Ye olde Utah Stars would occasionally stick out there : short , short , 6'5" , big 6'2" , and of course 7'2".

Wings could do a developmental line-up a few games with Diggins - Powers at the 2 to see if she's fully recovered - rookie - rookie - rookie.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/23/17 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's my current ranking

1 Los Angeles
2 Minnesota
3 Phoenix
4 Seattle
5 Dallas
6 Atlanta
7 Washington
8 New York
9 Chicago
10 Indiana
11 Connecticut
12 San Antonio

PostPosted: 05/23/17 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

1 Los Angeles
2 Minnesota
3 Phoenix
4 Seattle
5 Dallas
6 Atlanta
7 Washington
8 New York
9 Chicago
10 Indiana
11 Connecticut
12 San Antonio

The Lynx and the Sparks are the only legitimate contenders for the championship this season. The rest of the league are pretenders and lottery teams.

PostPosted: 05/23/17 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
pilight wrote:

1 Los Angeles
2 Minnesota
3 Phoenix
4 Seattle
5 Dallas
6 Atlanta
7 Washington
8 New York
9 Chicago
10 Indiana
11 Connecticut
12 San Antonio

The Lynx and the Sparks are the only legitimate contenders for the championship this season. The rest of the league are pretenders and lottery teams.

THIS _________x , i do think the gap has shrunk over the season but these 2 are still the top by far .

PostPosted: 05/23/17 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pilight's looks pretty accurate to me. Seeing some of LA's game vs. DC, I think Chelsea Gray and Odyssey Sims really give them a nice dimension. While I thought they would miss KT's shooting (they still might), they were able to physically overwhelm the Mystics in DC on Friday. Gray overpowered Toliver on a few occasions and as a team LA's transition game and passing enabled numerous open looks for Wiese. The bottom 4 for now seem pretty entrenched. The Liberty have played poorly so far and have numerous question marks with the loss of Boyd, the condition of Stokes and the PG position as a whole. DC 7th is also correct also since on their way to 1-2 they've yet to prove they can defend a quality offensive team.

PostPosted: 05/23/17 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
pilight wrote:

1 Los Angeles
2 Minnesota
3 Phoenix
4 Seattle
5 Dallas
6 Atlanta
7 Washington
8 New York
9 Chicago
10 Indiana
11 Connecticut
12 San Antonio

THIS _________x , i do think the gap has shrunk over the season but these 2 are still the top by far .

Why PHX in front of Dallas ? We beat them , Id swap us but input Seattle at #3 and Dallas 4 with PHX at 5

PostPosted: 05/23/17 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mine:

1. Los Angeles
2. Minnesota
3. Seattle
4. Atlanta
5. Phoenix
6. New York
7. Washington
8. Dallas
9. Chicago
10. Connecticut
11. Indiana
12. San Antonio

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 05/23/17 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Mine:

1. Los Angeles
2. Minnesota
3. Seattle
4. Atlanta
5. Phoenix
6. New York
7. Washington
8. Dallas
9. Chicago
10. Connecticut
11. Indiana
12. San Antonio

Why Dallas so low? Why Atlanta so high? All Atlanta has done so far is split with the poor Sky (home and away) and beat the lowly Sun in CT. Dallas won @Mercury and barely lost to the Lynx in Dallas.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/24/17 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see no reason at all why the Mercury would be above the Storm in the standings..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/24/17 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
I see no reason at all why the Mercury would be above the Storm in the standings..

iSee no reason why the mercury are in even in the top half of the power rankings Laughing

1. Minnesota or LA
2. LA Or Minnesota
3. Seattle
4. New York
5. Dallas
6. Washington
7. PHX
8. Atlanta
9. Chicago
10. Indiana
11. Connecticut
12. San Antonio

Last edited by WNBA 09 on 05/24/17 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: