RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Transactions 4/19
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MT_Swoopes

PostPosted: 04/20/05 6:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Yeah that looks like where he's going with it... except he might swap your SF with your SG. But unless Swoopes is herself demanding to get out of Houston, she's not going to be traded at this point. The hanging jersey smoke signal has been read and Swoopes is still the Pope. The fans in Houston made a statement, it seems, and it was heard.

Just think about this... every ASG... top overall vote getter. That's fan base home and away. (for what it's worth in the W.) MVP and DPOY in 2002. Just turned 34.

The idea that Swoopes and THIS era of Comets players don't represent the best shot they may have at another title anytime soon is just poppycock. It's just not time to throw these superstars away and try to build for the future. There might be no player in the world who the Comets could get that would provide them the MVP/DPOY level of performance in the next two to three years.

No one is going to trade a Catchings or a Lo-Jack to the Comets for Swoopes AND Thomson. So who else is out there that can provide the Comets with that kind of superstar leadership to help them in the next 2-3 years? Nobody. They're stuck with Swoopes and they're lucky to be stuck with her if you ask me.

The Comets need some really sparkling guard play (and they solve half that problem with Swoopes at SG and Arcain as her backup) and young dependable strong motivated post players. They've got some good subs for Tina in Tari and either Snow or Lyttle. Goodson sounds like a supersub.

I'm not as gloomy as some of you are. Two years from now, yes. It's over. End of an era. Right now... yall should just settle down 'cause it's going to be a real interesting season.

I don't see complacency or a bunch of players okay with losing here and that's been the Comets biggest problem the last few years.

And anyone who starts valuating Swoopes in relation to a 1st round draft pick or Marie Ferdanand (Alepp03!) needs to buck up and get in line because Swoopes could win a couple more MVP Awards yet.

Like Rummy said... you go to war with the army you got, and Tari and Goody are fucking warriors, no?

JB...You still have a way with words.

I wouldn't be shocked if Sheryl clowned this league out of anger (if she's healthy). Sheryl wasn't healthy last year, and had games in which she showed flashes of her prime. However, my issue is how this team will stack up against the other teams in the conference. Look below, JB. All of the starting lineups in their conference are younger, stronger and faster.

G- Teasley
G- Dixon
F- Mabika
F- Holdsclaw
C- Leslie

G- Bird
G- Lennox
F- Thompson or Barnes
F- Jackson
C- Burse

G- Penicheiro
G- Lawson
F- Walker
F- Brunson
C- Griffith

G- Harrower
G- Smith
F- Abrosimova
F- Williams
C- Ohlde

G- Taurasi
G- DeForge
F- Taylor
F- Irvin
C- Vodichkova

G- Johnson
G- Ferdinand
F- Wecker
F- Thomas
C- Feenstra

Van will have to depend on his bench, because he can't have Sheryl and Janeth logging a lot of minutes.

Alepp03

PostPosted: 04/20/05 6:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sheryl Swoopes is my favorite player in the league and the person that brought me to the league. I am merely thinking of the best for the Comets, whom Sheryl brought me to love.

The addition of Marie Ferdinand would bring in a scoring guard that could complement Snow, Lyttle, and Tina for the future as well as provide an instant scoring punch alongside Tari and Janeth for the now. While Sheryl may right now be better than Marie, in five years, Marie could be an All-Star and Sheryl could be a commentator.

Jammer, if anyone can make me gloomy about the Comets it's pilight, if anyone can get me excited about the exact same Comet team, it's you! But I am trying to remain relatively sensible, this team must be infused with some young talent in order to prevent a long painful rebuilding process that could immediately follow this long slow demise we have been suffering. I hate seeing this team come out worse each year.

Regardless, the Comets have my undying love and support, as does Sheryl, and I know that even with what I have said, I would be devastated to see Sheryl play for another team. Additionally, I am holding out hope that she misses being MVP and will be back to claim her award this season.

G - Arcain/Lambert/Dant
G - Sheryl/Hodges
F - Goodie/Canty
F - Tari/Lyttle
C - Snow/Tiff
... Tina playing some 3 and 4 upon her return.

I can deal with this lineup. Our rebounding will be solid from all positions. We don't have a lack of toughness. We can more or less score from every position, although we don't have a distinct 3-pt threat until Tina returns. Lambert brings a little more energy and quickness to the point and can push Arcain and Sheryl to the 2 and 3 giving Goodie a rest, or any other combination of Arcain, Sheryl, and Goodie. The prospect of Dant gives me room for a little excitement and I hope she can stick. Hopefully Lyttle can log some quality minutes early in the season so that she can earn a place on the court for some amount of time when Tina returns. Hopefully Tari decides she wants to bite not just Blaze but the whole league in the butt. And finally, hopefully Snow decides to throw one down in Leslie's face and come into her own.

Can we just lose the first five games so that Karleen Thompson replaces Van and then go on a nice run?

PostPosted: 04/20/05 7:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MT_Swoopes wrote:

JB...You still have a way with words.

You're damned right I do, MT! And thank you for saying so.

Quote:
I wouldn't be shocked if Sheryl clowned this league out of anger (if she's healthy). Sheryl wasn't healthy last year, and had games in which she showed flashes of her prime.

She may not actually win that MVP award... but that's only because LJ might have a lock on it right now, or it could be Catchings's turn, but Swoopes is LIKELY to be in the running for it, and for the Comets, that's really all that's important. She needs to put up MVP numbers and she certainly is still capable of that.

Quote:
However, my issue is how this team will stack up against the other teams in the conference. Look below, JB. All of the starting lineups in their conference are younger, stronger and faster.

G- Teasley
G- Dixon
F- Mabika
F- Holdsclaw
C- Leslie

G- Bird

G- Lennox
F- Thompson or Barnes
F- Jackson
C- Burse

G- Penicheiro
G- Lawson
F- Walker
F- Brunson
C- Griffith

G- Harrower
G- Smith
F- Abrosimova
F- Williams
C- Ohlde

G- Taurasi
G- DeForge
F- Taylor
F- Irvin
C- Vodichkova

G- Johnson
G- Ferdinand
F- Wecker
F- Thomas
C- Feenstra

Van will have to depend on his bench, because he can't have Sheryl and Janeth logging a lot of minutes.

Okay... a question for you old buddy and Alepp03... what if Lambert and Canty split time at the point. (I'm actually excited that Lambert's still on the team.)

Swoopes at the 2 with Arcain backing up. (never happen, I know) Tari and Goodson at the three... That's the oldest four basically playing limited minutes.

And after that it DOES get thin... but YOUNG.

Okay... it's pretty obvious Tiffany Johnson isn't going anywhere.

But think about it. With Lambert and Swoopes and Tari (or Goody) Snow and Lyttle... you've got youth and speed.

Okay... you guys have a point! lol!

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/20/05 7:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alepp03 wrote:

Jammer, if anyone can make me gloomy about the Comets it's pilight, if anyone can get me excited about the exact same Comet team, it's you!

I'm not going to touch that one, Alepp03, other than to say thanks. Very Happy

Alepp03

PostPosted: 04/20/05 7:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How many years is Janeth removed from her 18 ppg year? Four? Okay, well I gotta believe she can keep up her nice little 10-12 point average. That is servicable.

How far is Sheryl removed from her 20 point season? Four seasons? Well I gotta believe she can at least keep up a good 15 ppg. Alright, that'll be decent.

How far removed is Tari from her 15 ppg season? Four years you say? Well, I gotta believe she can get back to 10 ppg and give us a good 7 or so rpg. Okay.

Snow should at least stay steady around 10 points and 7 boards as well I'd like to think. I would LIKE to think.

How far removed is Goodie from her 17 ppg season? Five years. Oh okay. Well, if she can do 10 and 5, I'd be happy.

Okay, so now we rely on Tiff for a couple points, Lambert for a couple, Canty for a couple, Sancho for a few, and Hodges and Dant for a few.

Well, I don't see scoring as a real problem. We're just freaking old as heck. Rebounding should be our strength, and defense will have to be the focus once again. We won't be able to really run a lot unless we have a Lambert, Arcain, Sheryl, Lyttle, Snow lineup in or if Hodges is on the court, but hey, you don't HAVE to run to be good. Maybe this isn't terrible, but it certainly ain't championship caliber. Isn't Cynthia giving it another go this year?

PostPosted: 04/20/05 7:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suppose I am essentially pretty flakey on this situation. I am excited for the season in general, but I am reserved about my excitement because I don't want to end up really pissed.

When Kilzer gets cranky about Van, I get cranky about Van.
When MT mentions trading Sheryl, I think, hey why not trade Sheryl to try to figure something out.
When you get all excited about nothing, I get excited about nothing.
When pilight comes in with the doom and gloom, I get pretty depressed.

I don't know what the F to think about this freaking team.

All I know is that I want them to do well!

PostPosted: 04/20/05 7:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay I got it. 5-1 positions, here it is.

Snow 30m, Tiff 10m.
Tari and Lyttle, 20m each.
Swoopes 30m, Goody 10m. (or more at the 2)
Canty and Arcain, 20m each.
Lambert and whoever at the point.

I've solved the problem and I'm going to bed.

MT_Swoopes

PostPosted: 04/20/05 7:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Okay... a question for you old buddy and Alepp03... what if Lambert and Canty split time at the point. (I'm actually excited that Lambert's still on the team.)

Swoopes at the 2 with Arcain backing up. (never happen, I know) Tari and Goodson at the three... That's the oldest four basically playing limited minutes.

And after that it DOES get thin... but YOUNG.

Okay... it's pretty obvious Tiffany Johnson isn't going anywhere.

But think about it. With Lambert and Swoopes and Tari (or Goody) Snow and Lyttle... you've got youth and speed.

Okay... you guys have a point! lol!

JB...No one (NO ONE) could ever replace Sheryl as my #1 all-time favorite player. I suggest a trade, 'cause it would help her and the Comets, seeing as Van doesn't know how to use her. That is the issue. The way in which Van utilizes his lineups. We could do a better job with his roster at this point.

I like Sheila, but she needs to make a play without it being an amazing one. In addition, she needs to cut down on the turnovers. Other than that, she is a nice point guard. I have no faith in Canty as a point. She doesn't know anything about making decisions with the ball in being a floor general.

Where Canty really impressed me, was her lockdown defense. She worked her butt off, on both ends of the floor, and was excellent at crashing the boards for putbacks or just getting the rebound. In other words, she should be off the ball. The one is not the position for Canty.

I like this team in the post with Michelle, Tari, Sancho and Tina (when she returns). However, this team has no floor general to set all of these players up. If Van remembers how basketball is won, he will make sure this team plays inside-out; not outside-in. That means none of those jumpers, unless it's off of a pass from the post. Make sure Michelle gets her touches and the others play off of her. Basketball is still a big man's (woman's, in this case) game.

I'm telling you, MICHELLE IS READY!

pilight

PostPosted: 04/20/05 7:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:

I've solved the problem and I'm going to bed.

Well, no, because it's still

Quote:
Lambert and whoever at the point.

Lambert turns the ball over like Becky Hammon (one had 4.16 TOs per 40 minutes, the other had 4.1Cool but doesn't give you any of the positives that the Beckysitter provides.

PostPosted: 04/20/05 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fellas you KNOW, like it or not, Canty's going to be getting minutes at the point all season long. It's going to be Lambert and Canty as it stands right now unless he starts Arcain there, at which time I'm hanging it up entirely. Isn't Dent or Dant or whatever the hell her name is a point guard? So there's always the chance that a rookie 3rd round pick will take to the WNBA point guard position like a duck to water...

In the mean time, you're left with what IS, at least at the moment. Either Lambert or Arcain, as it stands right now, is going to be the starting point guard with Canty getting lots of minutes there when Van pulls Lambert out to give her hell for ever being born. If the Comets post game lives up to what it could and should be with a true banger like Tari in there with Snow and a talented "rebounding machine" (Van's description of Lyttle) then maybe Lambert's turnovers and tendency towards the spectacular as opposed to the clever and the Comets continued problems at the point, as well as the age of the team's better players, might not murder the season. Let's just HOPE, can't we? MT you said it all comes from the inside -> out. We can hope it happens that way, finally, with the talent we have on the inside at this point.

The jammer sadly has no faith, but does believe strongly in hope. Twisted Evil

wadethered

PostPosted: 04/22/05 2:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MT_Swoopes wrote:

G- Penicheiro
G- Lawson
F- Walker
F- Brunson
C- Griffith

Starting Nicole Powell at the 3 and Walker at the 4 seems like a much deadlier combination, IMO. More offensive firepower and better spreading.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: