RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Potential conference expansion??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 05/04/17 11:39 am    ::: Potential conference expansion?? Reply Reply with quote

Here was an article that appeared in the NY Times a few days ago:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/01/sports/mexico-cetys-ncaa-border.html

It is written about a school in Mexico that wants to become a D2 member. In the article, it mentions the pilot program that the NCAA had and in which Simon Fraser (located in British Columbia) used to join a D2 conference in the upper northwest part of the country. What I found interesting was this quote:

Quote:
Last week, the N.C.A.A. made permanent a pilot program allowing each division to invite Canadian or Mexican institutions.

Sure, there will be some logistics (financial situations, etc), but does this suddenly become the answer for some of these smaller conferences that seem to get poached by ones seen to be a little higher up the food chain? There are tons of Canadian schools located within shouting distance of the US border, especially in Ontario, Quebec and the Maritimes.

Anyway, just thought this was kind of an interesting development. Oh, and clearly, the Mexican schools will most likely have a harder time given the current political climate. Please, can we refrain from turning this thread into a political discussion/debate/bitch fest and just talk about thoughts on the main subject at hand: the fact the NCAA has opened up the borders for membership in all divisions.

Queenie

PostPosted: 05/04/17 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suspect the political climate will affect both sides of the border.

What I'd be more curious about with Mexican schools would be whether language barriers became an issue.

(now with spelling variations)
5thmantheme

PostPosted: 05/05/17 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting pilot program.

Pac-12 might like U of British Columbia, on academics and proximity to U of Washington.

Big-10 could bookend academics with Toronto and McMaster, except for Toronto's football team doing truly epic'ly horrible.

Universidad Autónoma de Nuevo León put the autonomous into it's name, because of government interference, and might on that point alone, not be interested. Their ~football team had the kind of corruption scandal, that the NCAA would stick with a near-death penalty.

Otherwise yeah, the rest of the various schools, could do proximity and competition level, and be happy with the cost savings.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/07/17 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would say the lack of major football would make this a total non-starter for any P5 conference.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 05/07/17 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I would say the lack of major football would make this a total non-starter for any P5 conference.

Completely agree...I feel like this could possibly be an answer for the smaller leagues that keep getting poached. However, I have no idea if the financial component would make sense for those Canadian schools in particular.

5thmantheme

PostPosted: 05/08/17 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

True ... and the Canadian rules football thing is another problem. Everything else is ok (-ish). Say like the Big East is a not-football conference.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: