RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

DC Mystics 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alcarp

PostPosted: 04/28/17 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like Okorie for the Mystics. They really don't need a post player that scores the ball with all the offense they have. Okorie is a VERY physical and long 6'5. She can set screens, rebound, and defend. That sounds exactly like what the Mystics need in a backup center. Plus Okorie didn't start playing basketball until her teen years. There's a lot of potential there.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/28/17 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

alcarp wrote:
I like Okorie for the Mystics. They really don't need a post player that scores the ball with all the offense they have. Okorie is a VERY physical and long 6'5. She can set screens, rebound, and defend. That sounds exactly like what the Mystics need in a backup center. Plus Okorie didn't start playing basketball until her teen years. There's a lot of potential there.

Now this sounds like some legit analysis, unlike cracking on a player for being the first cut in camp.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 04/28/17 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are several has-beens and never-wases playing overseas and getting what seems like enviable stats. Just grab your dartboard and find yourself a player, myrtle. It's that simple, right? But you gotta figure, there are reasons why these players don't catch on with the league, and those reasons aren't likely to disappear just because you decided to throw a whimsical dart.

Take Michelle Snow who played with Brunson in the much more venerable Turkish league. She's averaged a double-double and has presumably built up some chemistry with the foundation. Why are the Lynx bothering injecting new blood into 5th post roster spot when they could just pick up this double double machine? Snow in Minnesota seems like a natural fit.

Like the wise Trudi Lacey once said, we're not looking behind us. We're only moving forward.

Randy

PostPosted: 04/28/17 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Problem with snow in Minnesota is it always melts by summer time.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/28/17 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Problem with snow in Minnesota is it always melts by summer time.

There's also the problem of it requiring at least the vet minimum, 15 grand more than a rookie.

PostPosted: 04/28/17 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Like the wise Trudi Lacey once said, we're not looking behind us. We're only moving forward.

Wise Mystics fans say "we're finally moving forward because Trudi Lacey is behind us."

~rAf
root_thing

PostPosted: 04/28/17 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

There's also the problem of it requiring at least the vet minimum, 15 grand more than a rookie.

And not all rookies are created equal. There's a reason some are drafted and some are not. Vets aren't all the same either. Like age 28 is close to athletic prime, whereas age 37 is close to retirement.

PostPosted: 04/28/17 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another big body for the Mystics:

Los Angeles - Cave, Khadijiah Waived

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/28/17 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

not as interesting as Chinwe though.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 04/28/17 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

not as interesting as Chinwe though.

Not nearly

tfan

PostPosted: 04/29/17 5:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/29/17 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

thats an awfully small looking team there .

PostPosted: 04/29/17 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Enough with the notion Mike Thibault having interest in signing Chinwe Okorie. Mike Thibault has scouted Okorie a whole season through the eyes of his daughter Carly who is an assistant coach with Miss State. I believe if Mike Thibault wanted Okorie he would've signed her as a undrafted free agent.

I'm confident if Mike Thibault believes the Mystics need frontcourt help he'll find someone.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/29/17 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
Enough with the notion Mike Thibault having interest in signing Chinwe Okorie. Mike Thibault has scouted Okorie a whole season through the eyes of his daughter Carly who is an assistant coach with Miss State. I believe if Mike Thibault wanted Okorie he would've signed her as a undrafted free agent.

I'm confident if Mike Thibault believes the Mystics need frontcourt help he'll find someone.

good point. I suspect Okorie may not be the quickest study...that's a polite way of putting it. But I don't know that for sure. You're right of course that Carly would have the total inside story.

- Amanda Gorman
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/30/17 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Shades wrote:
Toliver/Cloud
Hill/Walker-Kimbrough/Latta
Ruffin-Pratt/Malott
Delle Donne/Hawkins/Taylor
Meesseman/Thomas

Toliver is definitely the starting PG.
Cloud was last year's starting PG. Only makes sense she's this year's backup.
I loved Latta in college, but it might be time to move on. Thibault have a little guts.
Ruffin-Pratt is suffering with back spasms. Have to keep an eye on that. Malott survives? Says something about the people he's brought in.
Hawkins and Taylor are backup PF's? Seems pretty weak, but maybe I'll be surprised?
Meesseman a center?

It's definitely not a team built on defense, and they're a post injury away from an issue. I can't think of a time where we have seen a WNBA team built this way, so heavily weighted toward fantastic offense but with a number of question marks on the other side of it. However, I've thought they wouldn't be all that good defensively before and he has coached them up to do it better than you would think his personnel should do it. So I wouldn't count them out to lead the league in offensive efficiency and maybe be in the 5-7 range on defense. They do at least have TRP, who is one of the league's better defensive 3's, and they'll have some length inside with EM and EDD.

Not hard at all. The Phoenix "run and gunners" ring a bell? They've been trying to switch to a style that works better with Griner but it's the "run and gunners" who won Championships.

You're 100% correct. What I was specifically thinking at the time, and should have phrased within, was the context of the 3 point shooting. Phoenix had some excellent shooters, but nobody shot over 40% from 3 on the 2007 team. A few players did on the '09 team, but only Taurasi was a notable volume scorer of the players who started regularly and pulled off the feat.

The Mystics have probably 3 of the 5 best 3 point shooters in the world. It's possible they have the best 3 period. So I was thinking of it in terms of, wow, I don't know that we've ever seen a team that can space the floor in such a unique way. Not to mention the height of the players involved. EDD is nearly impossible to defend as it is with her height and length. Throw in two other huge 3 ball shooters, one of them being 6'4" and versatile in her own right and from that standpoint it's a totally unique team.

But yes, I stand corrected based on what I wrote. Phoenix won two titles with #1 offense and nearly bottom or bottom ranked defense twice. Though in the Merc's case, those numbers were slightly skewed by getting annihilated on the offensive glass both years. That results in more possessions, but also higher percentage shots. I don't envision DC getting annihilated to that extent on the offensive glass. Unlike Phoenix in those two seasons, I'm not sold that they will have a representative defensive FG% though. Thibault schemes quite well so if he can work around it I wouldn't be surprised.

PostPosted: 04/30/17 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

good point. I suspect Okorie may not be the quickest study...that's a polite way of putting it. But I don't know that for sure. You're right of course that Carly would have the total inside story.

Okorie has basically only had 4 years of organized basketball. I think she may have played one year of prep ball but Vic saw her playing volleyball and liked her size among other things. So, given that she was invited to WNBA camp, she's progressed relatively quickly. Even if she
Doesn't have a high High ceiling, her best years of play are still probably in front of her.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 04/30/17 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Courtney Range waived

Michelle89

PostPosted: 04/30/17 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Shades wrote:
Toliver/Cloud
Hill/Walker-Kimbrough/Latta
Ruffin-Pratt/Malott
Delle Donne/Hawkins/Taylor
Meesseman/Thomas

Toliver is definitely the starting PG.
Cloud was last year's starting PG. Only makes sense she's this year's backup.
I loved Latta in college, but it might be time to move on. Thibault have a little guts.
Ruffin-Pratt is suffering with back spasms. Have to keep an eye on that. Malott survives? Says something about the people he's brought in.
Hawkins and Taylor are backup PF's? Seems pretty weak, but maybe I'll be surprised?
Meesseman a center?

It's definitely not a team built on defense, and they're a post injury away from an issue. I can't think of a time where we have seen a WNBA team built this way, so heavily weighted toward fantastic offense but with a number of question marks on the other side of it. However, I've thought they wouldn't be all that good defensively before and he has coached them up to do it better than you would think his personnel should do it. So I wouldn't count them out to lead the league in offensive efficiency and maybe be in the 5-7 range on defense. They do at least have TRP, who is one of the league's better defensive 3's, and they'll have some length inside with EM and EDD.

Not hard at all. The Phoenix "run and gunners" ring a bell? They've been trying to switch to a style that works better with Griner but it's the "run and gunners" who won Championships.

You're 100% correct. What I was specifically thinking at the time, and should have phrased within, was the context of the 3 point shooting. Phoenix had some excellent shooters, but nobody shot over 40% from 3 on the 2007 team. A few players did on the '09 team, but only Taurasi was a notable volume scorer of the players who started regularly and pulled off the feat.

The Mystics have probably 3 of the 5 best 3 point shooters in the world. It's possible they have the best 3 period. So I was thinking of it in terms of, wow, I don't know that we've ever seen a team that can space the floor in such a unique way. Not to mention the height of the players involved. EDD is nearly impossible to defend as it is with her height and length. Throw in two other huge 3 ball shooters, one of them being 6'4" and versatile in her own right and from that standpoint it's a totally unique team.

But yes, I stand corrected based on what I wrote. Phoenix won two titles with #1 offense and nearly bottom or bottom ranked defense twice. Though in the Merc's case, those numbers were slightly skewed by getting annihilated on the offensive glass both years. That results in more possessions, but also higher percentage shots. I don't envision DC getting annihilated to that extent on the offensive glass. Unlike Phoenix in those two seasons, I'm not sold that they will have a representative defensive FG% though. Thibault schemes quite well so if he can work around it I wouldn't be surprised.

Ill take Taurasi and Penny Taylor 3pointshooting over Meesseman any day of the week Laughing And im a big fan of Emma for years.. She gets her 3pointshots when she is wide open

But yeah you are correct that EDD, Toliver and Meesseman are good 3pointshooters which makes them tough to guard for sure. Hill too when she is on fire but she is a lot more streaky then the others..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/30/17 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I understand that. But in this offense, Emma is going to get a lot of open 3s, and she's only 23-24. It's been tailor-made for her game for years. Toliver and EDD being added should only help that. And who's to say her shot won't improve when contested? You yourself have implied she's better than Charles because her FG% is higher. If so, contested 3s shouldn't be an issue as she continues to develop.

PostPosted: 04/30/17 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I understand that. But in this offense, Emma is going to get a lot of open 3s, and she's only 23-24. It's been tailor-made for her game for years. Toliver and EDD being added should only help that. And who's to say her shot won't improve when contested? You yourself have implied she's better than Charles because her FG% is higher. If so, contested 3s shouldn't be an issue as she continues to develop.

Are you going to tell Emma that she needs to take contested 3pointers or 3pointshots off the dribble Razz She will think that her teammates will get a more open shot and she will pass in that case. Thats just the player/person she is. But hopefully Mike T and players like EDD will keep on her to take more shots and be more assertive.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/30/17 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Are you going to tell Emma that she needs to take contested 3pointers or 3pointshots off the dribble Razz She will think that her teammates will get a more open shot and she will pass in that case. Thats just the player/person she is. But hopefully Mike T and players like EDD will keep on her to take more shots and be more assertive.

I think Emma's selfless play will actually be great now that she has two teammates who can take the burden off her. She can shoot when she feels comfortable and pass when she doesn't. She needs to shoot enough that the defense can't just back off her because we know she can shoot. But with these teammates she no longer needs to feel pressured to take the most shots. It's a great situation for her.

- Amanda Gorman
Michelle89

PostPosted: 04/30/17 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

I think Emma's selfless play will actually be great now that she has two teammates who can take the burden off her. She can shoot when she feels comfortable and pass when she doesn't. She needs to shoot enough that the defense can't just back off her because we know she can shoot. But with these teammates she no longer needs to feel pressured to take the most shots. It's a great situation for her.

Yeah i agree. Ive been saying it a lot. Emma likes to be that 2nd or 3rd scorer on a team. She doesnt want to be the first option.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/01/17 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hill injured as Mystics prepare for preseason opener

Quote:
Hill indicated the injury was not serious, but her status for Tuesday afternoon's preseason opener at the Indiana Fever remains in doubt, according to Coach Mike Thibault.

Even if Hill's ankle has recovered enough by Tuesday, she likely won't be on the court for an extended period. Thibault said he plans to use the game more as an evaluation tool for younger players, most notably Walker-Kimbrough, the No. 6 pick in this year's draft. Washington's other picks were Jennie Simms in the second round and Mehryn Kraker in the third.

Quote:

"Usually first exhibition game you're looking for a couple things," Thibault said. "To see how much they retain from what you've done for a little over a week [of training camp], who retains it, who has poise. Second thing is you're trying to evaluate players, who makes your roster, what groups fit together. It's a little different when you don't have three or four people playing."

Quote:
Reserve point guard Ivory Latta also won't play Tuesday, Thibault said, so she can rest her surgically repaired right knee. Latta, a two-time all-star, is entering her 11th WNBA season after undergoing a procedure last year similar to that of Washington Wizards point guard John Wall.

Quote:
Thibault has yet to announce who the fifth starter will be with Delle Donne, Meesseman, Toliver and Hill for the regular season opener, although tenacious defender Tierra Ruffin-Pratt remains a leading contender.

wnbafan

PostPosted: 05/06/17 5:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Got this email from the bus company for the 5/14 game:
"Thank you for signing up to join us for the basketball game on May 14th to cheer on Elena! When I first planned this trip I just put a 14 passenger vehicle on it, then changed it to a 24, 35, 50 and now a 56 passenger bus! There are 4 seats left if you know anyone who is wanting to go!!"

I'm syked to be riding on a bus full of fans. It brings back memories of the early days when I would catch the metro to a game to find the train filled with Mystics fans.

Thanks to UofDel_Alum for getting this arranged.
Very Happy

Randy

PostPosted: 05/06/17 7:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New career for UDA - travel agent.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 13 of 20

Jump to: