RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Dallas Wings 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zune69

PostPosted: 04/28/17 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Zune, weren't you the one who predicted Dallas would finish #3 this season? Why are you talking lottery now?

Get Cambage on your team, THEN you can talk about Dallas as the #3 team without people laughing at you. Smile

I change my dallas prediction from 3 to 6 because:

1.Powers isn't ready.

2.I thought Dallas would have another center to pair with Paris.

3.It looks like dallas will have 4-5 rookies on the team.I expect them to get off to a slow start.

4.Skylar missing the 1st preseason game doesn't help matters.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/28/17 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skylar Diggins-Smith calls out Darren Rovell for overlooking her as Roc Nation's highest draft pick

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/other-sports/wnba/2017/04/28/skylar-diggins-smith-calls-reporter-overlooking-highest-draft-pick-roc-nation-history

The name is changing but the big ego remains Very Happy

Quote:
Yesterday was a pretty big day for the Roc Nation Sports agency as client Leonard Fournette was selected No. 4 overall by the Jacksonville Jaguars in the NFL draft.

ESPN's Darren Rovell reported that this was the highest draft pick in Roc Nation history. The only problem? Dallas Wings point guard Skylar Diggins-Smith was selected No. 3 overall by the franchise when it was still in Tulsa.

Twitter exchange included at link

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/28/17 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Something tells me Liz will play for dallas in 2018,sign a big overseas contract,then skip the W for the next 2-3 years.Dallas' draft position in 2018 will determine whether I want cambage or not.If we miss the playoffs and lose the 2018 draft lottery,dallas should welcome Cambage back with open arms.But if we score the #1 pick,trading Cambage would be the best option.

For me, I'd say "fuck off mate" and don't come to any games this year because you will only be a distraction.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/28/17 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Skylar Diggins-Smith calls out Darren Rovell for overlooking her as Roc Nation's highest draft pick

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/other-sports/wnba/2017/04/28/skylar-diggins-smith-calls-reporter-overlooking-highest-draft-pick-roc-nation-history

The name is changing but the big ego remains Very Happy

Quote:
Yesterday was a pretty big day for the Roc Nation Sports agency as client Leonard Fournette was selected No. 4 overall by the Jacksonville Jaguars in the NFL draft.

ESPN's Darren Rovell reported that this was the highest draft pick in Roc Nation history. The only problem? Dallas Wings point guard Skylar Diggins-Smith was selected No. 3 overall by the franchise when it was still in Tulsa.

Twitter exchange included at link

R-E-S-P-E-C-T find out what it means to Sky Diggy ! Laughing

PostPosted: 04/28/17 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unbiasedly, I'm for starting the Fab 5 the first game. I'd like that... Cool

Michelle89

PostPosted: 04/28/17 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Something tells me Liz will play for dallas in 2018,sign a big overseas contract,then skip the W for the next 2-3 years.Dallas' draft position in 2018 will determine whether I want cambage or not.If we miss the playoffs and lose the 2018 draft lottery,dallas should welcome Cambage back with open arms.But if we score the #1 pick,trading Cambage would be the best option.

Playing overseas most of the year is not her thing. Big reason why China didnt work out for her either. Her signing with the Boomers and playing in the WNBL this season is connected with her decision to play in the WNBA again..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
pilight

PostPosted: 04/28/17 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Fred is still the coach, she might come and play. She seems to need a low pressure coach who won't demand much from her.

PostPosted: 04/28/17 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
If Fred is still the coach, she might come and play. She seems to need a low pressure coach who won't demand much from her.

A coach who only wants to run down the floor in transistion all the time might not be the way to go tbh. Although from what ive seen from her she looks in very good shape.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Randy

PostPosted: 04/28/17 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTaAxwghztk/?taken-by=wnbahoopz

Quote:
BIG news for the Dallas Wings, Liz Cambage is open to returning to the wnba in 2018!!! She plans to meet with fellow Australian, Erin Phillips in the coming months and come to some Wings' games this year to help her decide on her future.

Shocked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3bjMtqpGBw

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 04/28/17 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Wings’ large rookie class trying to make impact on Dallas as it adjusts to WNBA

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/other-sports/wnba/2017/04/28/wings-large-rookie-class-trying-make-impact-dallas-adjusts-wnba

Quote:
They also added some winning culture to the team. Chong is from the vaunted UConn program while Gray and Davis both won the national championship with South Carolina in Dallas in early April. The hope is that some of their winning ways rub off on a team that went 11-23 last year.

The belief that including a UConn player on a team will having their "winning ways" rub off on the other players on the team is a ridiculous thought. How much has the presence of Tuck and Faris made the Sun a winning team? Why wasn't Seattle good when they had Montgomery? Why wasn't San Antonio good last season with Jefferson? Obviously it takes more than having a UConn player on your roster. Isn't there a UConn player on almost every WNBA roster? Really weird thing for him to write.

Randy

PostPosted: 04/28/17 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They also mentioned Gray and Davis and SC's National Title so I don't think it necessarily meant UConn only.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/28/17 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
zune69 wrote:

For me, I'd say "fuck off mate" and don't come to any games this year because you will only be a distraction.

Especially if your seat in the stadium is behind hers Razz

PostPosted: 04/28/17 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
They also mentioned Gray and Davis and SC's National Title so I don't think it necessarily meant UConn only.

It is equally weird to write that. I was not railing against UConn (clearly the most successful NCAA program), but rather the crazy idea that having someone from a winning team will somehow transform a different team. Is it possible that George Mason will now become competitive because they have UConn transfer Natalie Butler?

LFO

PostPosted: 04/28/17 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes. To a point. Uconn gets the the best HS players.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/28/17 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It can't hurt. Maya was transformative to the Lynx culture. Night and day difference.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
tfan

PostPosted: 04/28/17 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
It can't hurt. Maya was transformative to the Lynx culture. Night and day difference.

I've heard that Charde Houston injected the Lynx with the UConn culture and got them spiritually and mentally on the UConn track before Moore did. She just added her athletic talent to the table that former UConn great Houston had already set.

toad455

PostPosted: 04/28/17 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTaAxwghztk/?taken-by=wnbahoopz

Quote:
BIG news for the Dallas Wings, Liz Cambage is open to returning to the wnba in 2018!!! She plans to meet with fellow Australian, Erin Phillips in the coming months and come to some Wings' games this year to help her decide on her future.

Shocked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3bjMtqpGBw

Why not show up for half the season this year to possibly make more money next season?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/28/17 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Shades wrote:

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/other-sports/wnba/2017/04/28/wings-large-rookie-class-trying-make-impact-dallas-adjusts-wnba

Quote:
They also added some winning culture to the team. Chong is from the vaunted UConn program while Gray and Davis both won the national championship with South Carolina in Dallas in early April. The hope is that some of their winning ways rub off on a team that went 11-23 last year.

The belief that including a UConn player on a team will having their "winning ways" rub off on the other players on the team is a ridiculous thought. How much has the presence of Tuck and Faris made the Sun a winning team? Why wasn't Seattle good when they had Montgomery? Why wasn't San Antonio good last season with Jefferson? Obviously it takes more than having a UConn player on your roster. Isn't there a UConn player on almost every WNBA roster? Really weird thing for him to write.

Playing team basketball has psychological and intellectual components. It's not all about physical skills and metrics.

There are such real things, although perhaps not measurable, as good and bad chemistry, morale and a winning attitude. It's not ridiculous to posit that players from from a winning culture can improve the chemistry, morale and attitudes of players who are psychologically stuck in a culture of losing.

Also, there are such intellectual things as basketball smarts and ingrained learnings as to how to work best with teammates and make them better. Players who were trained by highly successful college coaches may bring aspects of this intellectual learning to an unsuccessful team.

Whether any given player from a highly successful team has ever given such a psychological or intellectual boost to a WNBA team . . . well . . . I think the most honest thing to say is that such an effect can't be measured, rather than just dismissing the possibility as absurd.

In this case, I think the coach is expressing hope that at least three of the players can, collectively, bring these kinds of psychological strengths and basketball smarts to boost the other players, some of whom may never have experienced elite basketball success even though they are on a pro team.
tfan

PostPosted: 04/28/17 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/29/17 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Shades wrote:

Quote:

Playing team basketball has psychological and intellectual components. It's not all about physical skills and metrics.

There are such real things, although perhaps not measurable, as good and bad chemistry, morale and a winning attitude. It's not ridiculous to posit that players from from a winning culture can improve the chemistry, morale and attitudes of players who are psychologically stuck in a culture of losing.

Also, there are such intellectual things as basketball smarts and ingrained learnings as to how to work best with teammates and make them better. Players who were trained by highly successful college coaches may bring aspects of this intellectual learning to an unsuccessful team.

Whether any given player from a highly successful team has ever given such a psychological or intellectual boost to a WNBA team . . . well . . . I think the most honest thing to say is that such an effect can't be measured, rather than just dismissing the possibility as absurd.

In this case, I think the coach is expressing hope that at least three of the players can, collectively, bring these kinds of psychological strengths and basketball smarts to boost the other players, some of whom may never have experienced elite basketball success even though they are on a pro team.

Point well taken, but the only players who can really influence other players are those who have the respect of those players -- and that comes from being one of the best players on the team, or having an Olympic-level history.

Bench players unfortunately can't really be leaders, except in the most unusual circumstances. Leadership comes from the people who get the job done on the floor, and if someone who is worse than a starter tries to tell the starter what to do, she is very unlikely to listen.

PostPosted: 04/29/17 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rookies Gray, Davis and Chong -- who it it absurd to think can influence the team -- lead Dallas in scoring in its first exhibition game.

http://scores.espn.com/wnba/boxscore?gameId=400949826
Skyfan22

PostPosted: 04/29/17 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Rookies Gray, Davis and Chong -- who it it absurd to think can influence the team -- lead Dallas in scoring in its first exhibition game.

Seems it was Thornton that was the 3D high scorer. Hoping she makes the team!

tfan

PostPosted: 04/29/17 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

It wasn't said that rookies can't influence a team (psychologically or emotionally), it was said that bench players can't do it.

Randy

PostPosted: 04/29/17 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like their winning ways rubbed Davis, Gray and Chong really quickly. Now they just losers like the rest of the Wings.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/29/17 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

It wasn't said that rookies can't influence a team (psychologically or emotionally), it was said that bench players can't do it.

The three rookies from Final Four teams not only came off the bench, but they significantly influenced the team realistically and statistically. The three scored 48% of the Wings' FG's, 44% of the points, 33% of the assists, and 26% of the rebounds from the guard position.

Perhaps the three never again do this, and perhaps some or all are cut, but never let it be gainsaid that . . . Coach Williams' three Fab Five rookies from Final Four programs come off the bench to significantly influence one WNBA game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 16 of 36

Jump to: