Board Junkies Forums

Los Angeles Sparks 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 04/28/17 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
They have way too many bodies on their roster. more cuts soon! Why do some of these teams have zero updates on what's happening in camp?

Because the majority of WNBA PR departments are very bad at what they do.

Thay have PR departments? Shocked

LFO

PostPosted: 04/28/17 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One of Isiah's first moves was to hire a full time Liberty PR person...Vincent Novicki... who is also handling all our web/social media traffic. Great move, great hire. MSG has expansive and quality PR machine, but Liberty specific was a wonderful move.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/30/17 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap

PostPosted: 04/30/17 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Odyssey and Sydney (if she survives the cuts) need to become serious midrange & downtown threats, along with the other perimeter players to fully support that fabulous front court. Time for the Sparks to gear up for a repeat!

PostPosted: 04/30/17 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm gonna go head and make the prediction that Wiese will not make the final Sparks roster.Wiese appears to be struggling in the above picture,or maybe i'm just overreacting to the still frame ?

My prediction for Odyssey Sims in 2017:

*15p/5a/2s/44%/85%/40%
*All star selection
*All wnba 2nd team selection
*All defensive team selection

You can see the defensive focus of Sims(above pic)

Sims will be a top 5 pg this season(Diggins,Vandersloot,Robinson,Whalen)-Bird getting her left knee scoped one month before the start of the season is a setback for Bird & Seattle.

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/01/17 8:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
I'm gonna go head and make the prediction that Wiese will not make the final Sparks roster.Wiese appears to be struggling in the above picture,or maybe i'm just overreacting to the still frame ?.

If you're suggesting that Wiese is two or three steps slower than Karli Samuelson (that speed demon! Laughing ) then you're definitely overreacting. It clearly looks like a runout situation where Karli got ahead of the field.

PostPosted: 05/01/17 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
I'm gonna go head and make the prediction that Wiese will not make the final Sparks roster.Wiese appears to be struggling in the above picture,or maybe i'm just overreacting to the still frame ?

My prediction for Odyssey Sims in 2017:

*15p/5a/2s/44%/85%/40%
*All star selection
*All wnba 2nd team selection
*All defensive team selection

You can see the defensive focus of Sims(above pic)

Sims will be a top 5 pg this season(Diggins,Vandersloot,Robinson,Whalen)

You can read all that into one frozen moment of time? Smile

I think rAf might disagree with your choice of starting PG.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 05/01/17 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Picture>=1000 words.

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/01/17 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Picture>=1000 words.

sliced oranges>=fortune cookie

PostPosted: 05/01/17 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

I'm almost certain Sims will be the starting opening game pg.Gray lacks the lateral quickness and low center of gravity needed to effectively guard/chase the more diminutive pg's(Jefferson,Vandersloot,Robinson,etc...).I also don't think Agler wants two small guards getting the bulk of the bench minutes.Sims/Williams are only 5'7....Sims had a reputation in college for being a lockdown defender.Getting drafted by dallas stunted Odyssey's growth.Coach Williams gave Sims the green light the shoot,but never held her accountable for playing hero ball.Williams never made defense a top priority for Sims.Not that it would've mattered.Odyssey more often than not was forced to guard bigger shooting guards.Sims moving back to pg will be huge for her career.Futhermore,playing for a disciplinarian coach will give Sims the structure and guidance she desperately needs.

Last edited by zune69 on 05/01/17 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 05/01/17 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agree, although Agler does like Gray. Looking forward to see how Sims progresses under Agler

Shades

PostPosted: 05/01/17 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.buildingthedam.com/2017/5/1/15446468/sydney-wiese-to-likely-make-wnba-pre-season-debut-on-tuesday

Quote:
Despite a daunting roster of talented pieces around her, Wiese seems confident about her chances to make it at the next level, as she told OregonLive.com in a post-draft article that, “I’m willing to do whatever it takes to contribute to the team. I'll learn what they expect as a group, and as an individual, what they want from me. Then once I have that clarity, I will take it and run with it."

Los Angeles also seems to be excited about the former Beavers potential as well, as Penny Toler, the team’s Executive Vice President and General Manager, raved about Wiese on the team’s official website. “Sydney is one of the best point guards in the country. She is a very good passer, penetrator, and 3pt shooter that has shown that she can affect the outcome of a game be either her scoring or passing ability. She will be a great addition to our team now and for years to come.”

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
zune69

PostPosted: 05/01/17 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Agler's feeling any pressure to keep Wiese ?

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/01/17 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

He will have to look at the capsituation aswell

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
myrtle

PostPosted: 05/01/17 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

not sure why everyone seems to think Wiese will suck. Give the girl a chance before you write her off. I think she'll be a decent SF in the league. Can she guard Maya? No. Can anybody? No. Can she guard Angel? No. Can she guard almost any other SF - I'm thinking she can. Maybe not immediately, but she plays really smart and I think will make up for lack of pure speed by playing scout defense and using position. I could be wrong of course but at least watch her play before saying she's a piece of do-do.

- Amanda Gorman
pilight

PostPosted: 05/01/17 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

He will have to look at the capsituation aswell

Why would the Sparks have to worry about that? It's never been an issue before.

PostPosted: 05/01/17 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Surprised no one else got cut today. Sparks with 22 players listed right now.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 05/01/17 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
not sure why everyone seems to think Wiese will suck. Give the girl a chance before you write her off. I think she'll be a decent SF in the league. Can she guard Maya? No. Can anybody? No. Can she guard Angel? No. Can she guard almost any other SF - I'm thinking she can. Maybe not immediately, but she plays really smart and I think will make up for lack of pure speed by playing scout defense and using position. I could be wrong of course but at least watch her play before saying she's a piece of do-do.

The real question is "can she guard Tamera Young?"

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 05/01/17 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

You might recall that I said "let's let them compete for the start in the preseason" and also "Sims might start, but Gray will finish." With Gray reporting late from overseas, Sims has the advantage to start the season.

It also could be that Agler uses them like chess pieces throughout the season, taking advantage of matchups on the floor. Chelsea's advantages: taller, better playmaker, better passer, better shooter. Odyssey: better defender of short, quick PG's.

While many were dazzled by Sims in college, with Diggins and Sims often proclaimed as 1st/2nd best PG's, Gray is truly in a league of her own as a passer, with Ticha being her ceiling. Gray is a better shooter (by a lot) but not yet above average in defense.

~rAf
myrtle

PostPosted: 05/01/17 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I think any player who can only do one thing, such as T. Young, should be guardable by my grandmother. Ok, that's an exaggeration but those who only shoot threes, obviously you hang out at the three line; those who only drive, you dare 'em to shoot. It ain't rocket science.

- Amanda Gorman
Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/01/17 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Yeah just play of her and let her shoot

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/01/17 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So

Gray/Sims (either could start I flipped it today from my earlier predictions)
Beard/R. Williams
Carson/Weise
N. Ogwumike/TJJ
Parker/Lavender

if they can only afford 11 that leaves 1 spot, do you take a Banger like Warley-Talbrt, a versatile forward like Ibekwe or another Guard Hopkins or Weisner?

zune69

PostPosted: 05/01/17 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

I watched Wiese in two tournament games(Long Beach ST,Florida ST).....Wiese did not pass the eye test.She played poorly in both games.What I observed from Wiese was:

No foot speed
No quickness
poor defender
Slow release jumpshot

Wiese's biggest strength was having the ability to see over the top of smaller defenders.This advantage would be eliminated playing the sf position.Weise also lacks the strength to play sf.Forget about Moore,Angel and Bonner.Wiese would get out muscled by Christmas,Clark,Young,Currie,Coleman and Thomas.

Wiese's Last 4 games(Stanford,Long beach st,Florida st,Creighton)

12-44 fg/15a/12t

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 05/01/17 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
So

Gray/Sims (either could start I flipped it today from my earlier predictions)
Beard/R. Williams
Carson/Weise
N. Ogwumike/TJJ
Parker/Lavender

if they can only afford 11 that leaves 1 spot, do you take a Banger like Warley-Talbrt, a versatile forward like Ibekwe or another Guard Hopkins or Weisner?

I say take the one who does best in training camp. With Weise playing PG in college, she can back up PG and Gray has a nice enough shot plus height to play SG if needed. Agler might have to play with the guards to see the best combo to replace Toliver's shooting. Almost everyone will be a better defender.

~rAf
Queenie

PostPosted: 05/01/17 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Randy wrote:
Picture>=1000 words.

sliced oranges>=fortune cookie

Now I want Chinese food. (Also, what kind of heathen restaurants do you go to that don't offer both?)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 14 of 21

Jump to: