RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

DC Mystics 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/25/17 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Emma Meesseman to play for Belgium in late May for EuroBasket Women 2017 training

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2017/4/25/15412144/emma-meesseman-belgium-eurobasket-women-training-2017

Quote:
Meesseman will report to Washington for the remainder of the Mystics’ training camp on May 10 after the Russian season is over. She will play in Washington until the Belgian national team has a tournament in Italy starting on May 26. Meesseman will then miss every Mystics game until EuroBasket Women is over on June 25. After, she should be back in Washington.

PostPosted: 04/25/17 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If that's accurate, she'll miss something like 9 or 10 games, depending on when exactly she leaves and how quickly she makes it back from EBW2017. That's a pretty big chunk, but at least it's essentially the first half of the season. They can gel in the second half and try to build towards the playoffs, even if it costs them a few wins.

PostPosted: 04/26/17 8:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
If that's accurate, she'll miss something like 9 or 10 games, depending on when exactly she leaves and how quickly she makes it back from EBW2017. That's a pretty big chunk, but at least it's essentially the first half of the season. They can gel in the second half and try to build towards the playoffs, even if it costs them a few wins.

Im thinking thibault had to already know this but this could be major if they lose say 7 of those 10 games they could dig themselves a whole to deep . The city might not have the patience for another losing start. Toliver will have to elevate her play to another level while Mess is out.

PostPosted: 04/26/17 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Emma Meesseman to play for Belgium in late May for EuroBasket Women 2017 training

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2017/4/25/15412144/emma-meesseman-belgium-eurobasket-women-training-2017

Quote:
Meesseman will report to Washington for the remainder of the Mystics’ training camp on May 10 after the Russian season is over. She will play in Washington until the Belgian national team has a tournament in Italy starting on May 26. Meesseman will then miss every Mystics game until EuroBasket Women is over on June 25. After, she should be back in Washington.

so they're just going to rely on Thomas & Hawkins as their centers during this stretch? Definitely going to bring in another post.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 04/26/17 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Solves the problem of Elena and Emma both really needing to play the 4 position, at least for part of the season. Razz

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/26/17 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So which team is going to cut a big meaty post that they can pick up? Still scratching my head (and no, I don't have lice)...

- Amanda Gorman
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/26/17 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
So which team is going to cut a big meaty post that they can pick up? Still scratching my head (and no, I don't have lice)...

There are various big space fillers who'll be available - the Warley-Talberts of the world (and her younger equivalents) - but they kinda have that already with Krystal Thomas. Either Osahor or Fagbenle will be released by the Lynx if they want to try youth. Vicki Baugh might well not make the roster in San Antonio considering the post collection Riley built in the offseason. So there'll be a few options. They just might not be great options.

PostPosted: 04/26/17 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Could Thibault afford to make a play for Bone? I'm not buyin' this crap about her being a "locker room cancer."

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/26/17 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
Could Thibault afford to make a play for Bone? I'm not buyin' this crap about her being a "locker room cancer."

With Sanders suspended and therefore off the books this year, yes. Although unless they could work out a trade, Phoenix still have the right to match any contract she'd sign with anyone else, and acres of cap space to fit her into.

PostPosted: 04/26/17 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:

Laughing #Facts

PostPosted: 04/26/17 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
myrtle wrote:

There are various big space fillers who'll be available - the Warley-Talberts of the world (and her younger equivalents) - but they kinda have that already with Krystal Thomas. Either Osahor or Fagbenle will be released by the Lynx if they want to try youth. Vicki Baugh might well not make the roster in San Antonio considering the post collection Riley built in the offseason. So there'll be a few options. They just might not be great options.

They can probably have their pick of Kai James or Chinwe Okorie when they both get cut by the Liberty. Either would seem to meet your requirements.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/26/17 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Meaty? We have the meat! How about Sosa, the next best thing to Italian sausage? Good buy at pounds per inch.

I believe SAS gets the first option on wavered players so Baugh may come to you by Express Mail.

Baugh, Baugh and enjoy!

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/26/17 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
stever wrote:

Laughing #Facts

NO to Bone. I've seen plenty of evidence of questionable behaviors not conducive to team building. Thibault won't touch her with a ten foot pole.

~rAf
Shades

PostPosted: 04/26/17 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After the heated debate about Latta's status with the team, the Mystics come out with a "We still need Ivory" article.

After 10 seasons in the WNBA, Ivory Latta remains Washington Mystics’ bundle of energy

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/04/26/entering-her-10th-season-ivory-latta-remains-washington-mystics-bundle-of-energy/

Quote:
Entering her 10th season in the WNBA, Latta’s enthusiasm remains a constant on an overhauled roster that Coach and General Manager Mike Thibault has shaped into a championship contender. Latta’s place in that equation is as a veteran reserve, a shift the two-time all-star has handled with professionalism, according to coaches and teammates, when other players may not have been as accepting.

Bone sounds perfect time for WAS!

Quote:
She is also vying for minutes in a crowded backcourt that includes projected starting point guard Kristi Toliver as well as Natasha Cloud, a starter at the position the past two years. Latta has played some off-guard too, but the Mystics are deep there as well, with Tayler Hill and Shatori Walker-Kimbrough, the No. 6 overall pick in this year’s draft from Maryland.

But as the longest-tenured Mystics player by far, Latta, 32, is valued as much if not more for her leadership as her shot-making.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/26/17 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Bone sounds perfect time for WAS!

Yeah, because she has such a track record of being cooperative and accepting.

I repeat: Thibault knows what kinds of players he wants and the kinds he doesn't want. Bone is in the latter category. Any tall rookie falling off a roster would be preferable. By a lot.

~rAf
UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 04/26/17 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:

Yeah, because she has such a track record of being cooperative and accepting.

I repeat: Thibault knows what kinds of players he wants and the kinds he doesn't want. Bone is in the latter category. Any tall rookie falling off a roster would be preferable. By a lot.

Boy, readyAIMfire53, i agree with you 100%. Bone is a team killer. She takes shots when she shouldn't. She thinks she can make 3pt shots, she cannot. Washington does not need Bone.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/26/17 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This might be a good spot for V. Baugh if she gets cut in SA.

At least one of Pedersen or Hamson will be cut in Conn.

Gatling (and/or Holivay) will be cut in Atl.

Graves or McKinny might be cut in Indy.

L. Montgmery might be K. Thomas 2.0 which is all Washington really needs with all their scorers.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/27/17 1:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
This might be a good spot for V. Baugh if she gets cut in SA.

At least one of Pedersen or Hamson will be cut in Conn.

Gatling (and/or Holivay) will be cut in Atl.

Graves or McKinny might be cut in Indy.

L. Montgmery might be K. Thomas 2.0 which is all Washington really needs with all their scorers.

No to Pedersen, Hamson or Holivay. Montgomery might be best bet. Gatling might be adequate.

~rAf
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/28/17 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okorie is now available. I'm thinking a better big will be coming but they could give her a few days until the next one.

- Amanda Gorman
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/28/17 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn't be too excited about snatching up the 21st-best player in Liberty camp.

PostPosted: 04/28/17 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Okorie is now available. I'm thinking a better big will be coming but they could give her a few days until the next one.

Like from Minnesota, for instance. Or maybe Lang could be your attempt at a Dolson replacement.

But do we even know that Thibault is looking for a waiver wire player? I'm 95% sure he knew about the Sanders and Meesseman situations BEFORE the draft, and that didn't stop him from drafting three players all nearing 6'. Thibault drafts are always a big mystery. Once in a great while he gets lucky like with Meesseman.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/28/17 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I wouldn't be too excited about snatching up the 21st-best player in Liberty camp.

I'm certainly not in love with Okorie but it's worth investigating. I think a cut this early is not nec. the worst player in camp, but could be the player that either simply doesn't fit with that particular team or has no chance to make their roster because of who else is there at her position so it gives the player a chance to be picked up elsewhere and they(the Lib) need the spot for a returning from Europe player. In this case, James or her might make the roster and Bill favors James over her.

- Amanda Gorman

Last edited by myrtle on 04/28/17 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
root_thing

PostPosted: 04/28/17 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two 6-6 centers who turn 28 this year put up good numbers in Poland -- Carolyn Swords and Kelley Cain. Swords scored more points (16.8 v 13.4), but Cain pulled down more rebounds (11 v 8.9) and blocked more shots (1.9 v 0.9). Cain's team also had a lot more success (16-6 v 9-13). Swords is probably smarter, but Cain is likely a better athlete. So, if Swords is worth the #6 pick in the draft, why isn't Cain worth at least a training camp contract? And isn't someone who has played pro ball for 5-6 years more likely to help you than a fringe rookie like Chinwe Okorie?

PostPosted: 04/28/17 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Two 6-6 centers who turn 28 this year put up good numbers in Poland -- Carolyn Swords and Kelley Cain. Swords scored more points (16.8 v 13.4), but Cain pulled down more rebounds (11 v 8.9) and blocked more shots (1.9 v 0.9). Cain's team also had a lot more success (16-6 v 9-13). Swords is probably smarter, but Cain is likely a better athlete. So, if Swords is worth the #6 pick in the draft, why isn't Cain worth at least a training camp contract? And isn't someone who has played pro ball for 5-6 years more likely to help you than a fringe rookie like Chinwe Okorie?

Good point. I thought Cain had knee issues and had retired, but maybe I'm thinking of somebody else, or she came back from the injuries? If she's healthy and wants to play here, you would think she might get a look.

edit: one thing that might matter for the Mystics in particular, I think Mike wants to run, and Okorie was pretty good at getting up and down the court. Not sure Cain would be. But for defending in half court, you would think Cain would be better.

- Amanda Gorman

Last edited by myrtle on 04/28/17 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/28/17 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cain might just not be interested in the WNBA any more. Her previous visits haven't gone particularly well. And some players with long-term injury issues are better off with the once-a-week schedules most Euro teams play rather than the grind of the WNBA.

But yes, I'd expect Thibault to be more interested in someone with some experience rather than a random rookie, if a player like that presented herself.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 12 of 20

Jump to: