RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Layshia C.: "I walked alone in my shame for years."

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 04/25/17 9:40 pm    ::: Layshia C.: "I walked alone in my shame for years." Reply Reply with quote

https://mic.com/articles/174833/as-a-sexual-assault-survivor-i-walked-alone-in-my-shame-for-years#.DAWb2UtZy

Quote:
I am a sexual assault survivor.

As I write these words they still don't feel like they're mine. I never thought they would be. I denied this reality for a long time because I didn't want any of it to be real. It's still difficult to come to terms with my experience. Denial felt safer than having to process and work through my reality.

sportsfan48

PostPosted: 04/25/17 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very well written statement about this abuse that is all too often ignored or overlooked in our society. I have so much respect for Layshia for having the courage to share her experience and face having to be a victim all over again.

If this article can influence or change the life of one person to the positive, it is priceless.

BamaEd

PostPosted: 04/26/17 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I admire and respect the heck out of Layshia. I always liked her for some reason on the Fever. Something about her was just so likable. Then she was traded to my Dream and had a wonderful year. I follow her on Twitter and she is a remarkable young woman. She's committed to her sport but also to social issues and equality and shows her intellectual as well as athletic prowess. She is one to watch, on court and off.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/29/17 8:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's always been great at expressing herself on these sort of issues. Her courage to do is pretty remarkable. Her character, both off the court as well as on, where she has really improved her game, is noteworthy.

PostPosted: 06/10/17 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The Atlanta Dream guard penned an essay in April as part of sexual assault awareness month. In the five weeks since, she has been overwhelmed by the positive response and support from her teammates and friends.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/wnba/2017/06/10/clarendons-essay-on-being-sexually-assaulted-helps-others/102706886/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/10/17 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is wonderful anytime anyone speaks out as Layshia Clarendon has to challenge the culture of victim blaming. The fact that she is in the public eye makes her statement even more valuable because she will get more notice. Her essay is a gift to those still struggling with pain, shame, and denial. I have great admiration for Ms. Clarendon.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: