RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Amy Tucker....
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/15/17 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
Howee wrote:
bucks4now wrote:
Amy and Tara left Ohio State when Andy Geiger hired them. One of the benefits was the lifestyle on the west coast. My guess is that they don't "need "to make an announcement.

Right. No 'announcements' needed. But no need to hide something so special, either. None of it's mishandled or "bad", just....could be better in modeling for the next generation, imo.

"I don't care who you sleep with as long as it's not me" is my motto in life. If more people felt this way, there would be less problems.

I far prefer the quote attributed to a Mrs. Patrick Sullivan in the early part of the last century, "I don't care who does what with whom, as long as they don't do it in the street and frighten the horses!"

PostPosted: 04/16/17 2:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
It could be that Tucker's retirement allowed Kate Paye to get more money/status and thus keep Paye from taking the USC job.

Or not.

I was thinking something like that. According to the article they both were associate coaches (Stanford has already changed their roster page so I can't verify that now), in the case of Paye she is "The Harry K. and Ida S. Berland Associate Head Women's Basketball Coach". So removing Tucker could be a way to assure her that she is the associate coach that will get VanderVeer's position as "The Setsuko Ishiyama Director of Women's Basketball " when she retires.

Not a fan of rich people giving part of their fortune to pay the salary of college coaches and assistant coaches.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 04/16/17 8:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Instead of speculating (and criticizing) possibly gay WCBB coaches, I salute two who are married to women.

Stephanie White, Vanderbilt
Melanie Balcomb, S Carolina

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 04/16/17 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
ClayK wrote:
It could be that Tucker's retirement allowed Kate Paye to get more money/status and thus keep Paye from taking the USC job.

Or not.

I was thinking something like that. According to the article they both were associate coaches (Stanford has already changed their roster page so I can't verify that now), in the case of Paye she is "The Harry K. and Ida S. Berland Associate Head Women's Basketball Coach". So removing Tucker could be a way to assure her that she is the associate coach that will get VanderVeer's position as "The Setsuko Ishiyama Director of Women's Basketball " when she retires.

Not a fan of rich people giving part of their fortune to pay the salary of college coaches and assistant coaches.

It's actually endowing a position. Many if not most schools do this when they can as it takes pressure of athletic department budgets. I don't see anything wrong with it. At my alma mater (not Cal) they are trying to get the women's head coaching position endowed by pooling donations from a number of donors. Obviously the people who can afford to endow the position have money to donate, but I see it as a positive for the health of the women's program. The women's lacrosse position was recently endowed by a group led by former athletes. Obviously at Stanford, it appears individual donors made the basketball position endowments possible, but this type of funding is quite common for positions and scholarships (and professorships).

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/16/17 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CalwbbFan wrote:
tfan wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Or not.

It's actually endowing a position. Many if not most schools do this when they can as it takes pressure of athletic department budgets. I don't see anything wrong with it. At my alma mater (not Cal) they are trying to get the women's head coaching position endowed by pooling donations from a number of donors. Obviously the people who can afford to endow the position have money to donate, but I see it as a positive for the health of the women's program. The women's lacrosse position was recently endowed by a group led by former athletes. Obviously at Stanford, it appears individual donors made the basketball position endowments possible, but this type of funding is quite common for positions and scholarships (and professorships).

I'd much rather see those donations go to a professorship, but I am weird and think the main purpose of a university is education and research.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/16/17 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That settles it.

It doesn't really matter who becomes the next assistant at Stanford as long as we know whom she lives with, whom she sleeps with, or both.

Of course, the assistant doesn't have to be a she.

Or white.

How about some diversity on the Stanford coaching staff?

Yep, the Cardinal may need a black assistant . . . maybe a black man . . . and for the sexually obsessed, maybe a heterosexual black man. Are there any available in the college coaching ranks?
mzonefan

PostPosted: 04/17/17 6:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's funny that no one recognizes Tempie Brown in this discussion. Why would the new hire be only a Stanford alum? Tempie isn't. She played at Michigan and spent the majority of her coaching career in the B1G.

It says right in her bio that she's the recruiting coordinator.

LitePal

PostPosted: 04/17/17 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually, it does matter to many. It's Stanford so they have a natural edge and Tara has proven herself to be one of the coaching greats. There are other schools, like the one close by that has gained the unfortunate reputation as being for "urban" lesbians. The University has lost players because of that.

Stanford has not lost many players who were admitted. It's unlikely that the sexuality of their coaching staff means anything to these student athletes. Other schools, I wouldn't be so sure. The composition of the coaching staff, racially, sexually, etc. is of high importance to a recruit.

Definitely deserving of conversation, not trite insults.

newkid

PostPosted: 04/17/17 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.gostanford.com/news/2017/4/17/womens-basketball-the-farm-is-where-the-heart-is.aspx

Called it! Am I an insider now? Laughing

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/17/17 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

newkid wrote:
http://www.gostanford.com/news/2017/4/17/womens-basketball-the-farm-is-where-the-heart-is.aspx

Called it! Am I an insider now? Laughing

Impressive call. I had no idea LL was even coaching.
shontay33

PostPosted: 04/17/17 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snzuluz wrote:
Roommates are what you have in college and first getting out of school when finances might be tight...

Older women who make VERY good money like Tara and Tucker are not simply roommates!

Snzuluz,

Why the assumption that two people who are not of college age and live together, are in relationship? People have roommates at various ages for various reasons. Doesn't mean that they are in a relationship with each other. I have roomates and we each have are own space. All of us are single hardworking women who felt that it would be financially feasible to share an apartment. I think is stupid to stereotype people and assume that they are "roomates"(ie in a relationship) because they are older and live together.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/17/17 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
snzuluz wrote:
Roommates are what you have in college and first getting out of school when finances might be tight...

Older women who make VERY good money like Tara and Tucker are not simply roommates!

Snzuluz,

Why the assumption that two people who are not of college age and live together, are in relationship? People have roommates at various ages for various reasons. Doesn't mean that they are in a relationship with each other. I have roommates and we each have are own space. All of us are single hardworking women who felt that it would be financially feasible to share an apartment. I think is stupid to stereotype people and assume that they are "roomates"(ie in a relationship) because they are older and live together.

But in their case, it has only been the two of them, and for something like 3 decades.

Last edited by tfan on 04/17/17 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 04/17/17 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
CalwbbFan wrote:
tfan wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Or not.

I'd much rather see those donations go to a professorship, but I am weird and think the main purpose of a university is education and research.

Well, essentially you could say this type of endowment does effectively give more money to schollies, etc. since fewer budget dollars being spent on coaches, more available for other expenses and academic programs/scholarships....the point of an endowment is that it's self-sustaining and helps bottom line of institution. Also, many people do endow scholarships...the walls at Haas are filled with photos of the various athletes with what endowed schollie they've received.

Hoops9092

PostPosted: 04/17/17 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/jayneappel/status/847672408664268800/photo/1

This photo at the final four. Lindy right in the middle of the coaches

StevenHW

PostPosted: 04/17/17 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:

Who is wearing the Princess Leia t-shirt on the front row?

PostPosted: 04/18/17 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Hoops9092 wrote:

Milena Flores, the point guard at Stanford during the "lean" years of 1997-2000. Brief WNBA career and now Banghart's top assistant at Princeton.

Hoops9092

PostPosted: 04/18/17 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
StevenHW wrote:
Hoops9092 wrote:

Milena Flores, the point guard at Stanford during the "lean" years of 1997-2000. Brief WNBA career and now Banghart's top assistant at Princeton.

Interesting she didn't get the nod over Lindy

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/18/17 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:
PRballer wrote:
StevenHW wrote:
Hoops9092 wrote:

Interesting she didn't get the nod over Lindy

I wonder if she's coach-in-waiting for when a school with academic standards throws enough money at Banghart for Banghart to jump ship. (Or maybe not standards, but I always got the sense that Banghart wouldn't leave Princeton for any school with far inferior academics.)

(now with spelling variations)
LitePal

PostPosted: 04/18/17 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Considering Banghart was the runner-up to Cynthia Cooper Dyke four years ago at USC, that clearly suggests that academic standards are not a high priority for her.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/19/17 12:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Considering Banghart was the runner-up to Cynthia Cooper Dyke four years ago at USC, that clearly suggests that academic standards are not a high priority for her.

Are you saying that USC has low academic standards?

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 04/19/17 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
LitePal wrote:

Are you saying that USC has low academic standards?

Perhaps just compared to Princeton (and a few other elite schools).

dtrain34

PostPosted: 04/25/17 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Saw Kate Starbird's name on the long list of potential new assistants. Very unlikely. Kate is an assistant professor at UW in Human Centered Design. Can't see some one tossing aside a tenure track gig at a prestigious university to become an assistant basketball coach.

She is a fantastic shooting coach, though. Smile

Hoops9092

PostPosted: 04/25/17 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtrain34 wrote:
Saw Kate Starbird's name on the long list of potential new assistants. Very unlikely. Kate is an assistant professor at UW in Human Centered Design. Can't see some one tossing aside a tenure track gig at a prestigious university to become an assistant basketball coach.

She is a fantastic shooting coach, though. Smile

You saw Lindy was hired right?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: