RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The latest pic of Shoni (suprising!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/23/17 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe we'll hear something more official tomorrow.

If she has moved on I wish her the best.

toad455

PostPosted: 04/23/17 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If she has other plans to not play basketball this year, the Liberty personal & Laimbeer should be told. Very disrespectful if she simply didn't show up today without notice.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Happycappie25

PostPosted: 04/23/17 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
If she has other plans to not play basketball this year, the Liberty personal & Laimbeer should be told. Very disrespectful if she simply didn't show up today without notice.

This I agree...then again sometimes teams drag feet making announcements even if they know for months (normally to work out a deal) will keep ear to ground tho...

LFO...anything?

PostPosted: 04/23/17 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

More ugly speculation with no actual information. Do you have evidence that she didn't show up and gave no notice to the team? If so, please tell us what this evidence is and where you got it. Otherwise please stop trashing Shoni Schmmel (or anyone else) based on NO facts.

PostPosted: 04/23/17 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

^To be fair, I'm spotting two 'ifs' and it's phrased hypothetically.

I don't know what to think. I'm not getting my hopes up because of how the last efforts have gone, but, we'll see.

Last edited by akronborn on 04/23/17 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 04/23/17 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Maybe we'll hear something more official tomorrow.

If she has moved on I wish her the best.

Agreed. I wish her well whether she is on the Liberty in 2017, is on another WNBA team, has decided not to continue playing pro basketball, whatever.

PostPosted: 04/23/17 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

akronborn wrote:
To be fair, I'm spotting two 'ifs' and it's phrased hypothetically.

It's an ugly implication with no facts to back up the charge. Saying "if" doesn't make it OK. You or I could post ugly "if" statements about 30 different WNBA players.

PostPosted: 04/23/17 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, as Diana pointed out, You can't "if" it. Coz you know, if you if it... if grandma had... she'd be grandpa.

PostPosted: 04/24/17 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Secret Agent Shoni was spotted yesterday playing in an independent tourney..so idk what that means. This only adds further to the mystery and speculation, but this is a fact in the case so..

AAOK423

PostPosted: 04/24/17 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I'm not too clear on how contracts work in the WNBA so if someone could fill me in...Shoni is on contract with the NY Liberty so doesn't she have a contractual obligation to at least show up to training camp even if it is to get cut? I mean I'm not sure what the WNBA could do if she didn't but still...

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/24/17 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pure speculation but from the little bit of evidence and lack of any official word my guess is the main players in the drama; Schimmel and the team are aware of what is going on and on the same page. And we the general public simply haven't been told, yet.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 04/24/17 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Pure speculation but from the little bit of evidence and lack of any official word my guess is the main players in the drama; Schimmel and the team are aware of what is going on and on the same page. And we the general public simply haven't been told, yet.

Agreed.

PostPosted: 04/24/17 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But what if a player simply quits the WNBA? Is there a precedence? why so secret?

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/24/17 11:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAOK423 wrote:
So I'm not too clear on how contracts work in the WNBA so if someone could fill me in...Shoni is on contract with the NY Liberty so doesn't she have a contractual obligation to at least show up to training camp even if it is to get cut? I mean I'm not sure what the WNBA could do if she didn't but still...

Players sit out all the time -- usually to rest, recover from nagging injuries or play on their national team if they're foreign. The normal procedure is to suspend a player for the season. It doesn't cost you anything and you get to hold on to her rights. Obviously, if the team has no use for the player or they're sick of her then cutting the person loose makes sense -- assuming she doesn't have a big guaranteed contract.

Given that NY is at the 15 player limit, I'd assume they knew Shoni wasn't coming. Beyond that, I'm not going to speculate.

PostPosted: 04/25/17 12:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
AAOK423 wrote:

Players sit out all the time -- usually to rest, recover from nagging injuries or play on their national team if they're foreign. The normal procedure is to suspend a player for the season. It doesn't cost you anything and you get to hold on to her rights. Obviously, if the team has no use for the player or they're sick of her then cutting the person loose makes sense -- assuming she doesn't have a big guaranteed contract.

Given that NY is at the 15 player limit, I'd assume they knew Shoni wasn't coming. Beyond that, I'm not going to speculate.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I figure there are a lot of directions this can go in still. I suppose we will find out more soon enough.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/25/17 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
AAOK423 wrote:

I also assume both Shoni and the team knew she wasn't coming, but doesn't the way this is sorting out considering her evident availability to be in NY if both sides wanted her there suggest that she is not part of NY's plans (or they're not part of hers, or both)? I'll be surprised if I see her in a Liberty uniform this year.

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/25/17 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
root_thing wrote:
AAOK423 wrote:

I also assume both Shoni and the team knew she wasn't coming, but doesn't the way this is sorting out considering her evident availability to be in NY if both sides wanted her there suggest that she is not part of NY's plans (or they're not part of hers, or both)? I'll be surprised if I see her in a Liberty uniform this year.

Awhile ago, someone -- probably AAOK423 or SDHoops -- first brought up the fact that Schimmel had dropped out of sight both physically and on social media. There was a brief discussion about her possibly giving up basketball. Consequently, I wasn't that surprised when she didn't show up. Whatever is going on is probably very serious, whether it's a reassessment of her life, an injury, an illness, an illness to a family member, etc. Years ago, Shay Doron asked to be cut from the Liberty because she needed time to deal with a tumor in her breast. Not only did Liberty fans not know about this, but apparently the tumor was first diagnosed when Shay was at Maryland. It was benign, but there were still some concerns about it. So, you never know what's going on. Shoni has been incommunicado for five months. We have zero information so anything said would be pure speculation. But yes, if you push me into a corner and force me to guess, I would agree that we're not likely to see Shoni in a Liberty uniform this year.

PostPosted: 04/25/17 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops did report Shoni was spotted playing in independent tournament a day or two ago, so apparently Shoni's health is not an issue, but many other things could be on the table. i won't speculate, but I will guess - Shoni and NY are done with each other and I suspect NY is trying to make deal to get something for her rights but there is currently not much interest.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/25/17 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hopefully we find out more soon. I'm quite curious what is transpiring. I like seeing talented players capitalize on their talent.

PostPosted: 04/25/17 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
root_thing wrote:
AAOK423 wrote:

Awhile ago, someone -- probably AAOK423 or SDHoops -- first brought up the fact that Schimmel had dropped out of sight both physically and on social media. There was a brief discussion about her possibly giving up basketball. Consequently, I wasn't that surprised when she didn't show up. Whatever is going on is probably very serious, whether it's a reassessment of her life, an injury, an illness, an illness to a family member, etc. Years ago, Shay Doron asked to be cut from the Liberty because she needed time to deal with a tumor in her breast. Not only did Liberty fans not know about this, but apparently the tumor was first diagnosed when Shay was at Maryland. It was benign, but there were still some concerns about it. So, you never know what's going on. Shoni has been incommunicado for five months. We have zero information so anything said would be pure speculation. But yes, if you push me into a corner and force me to guess, I would agree that we're not likely to see Shoni in a Liberty uniform this year.

I respect the sensitivity you have shown in this statement. This is exactly why it upset me to see ugly, irresponsible inferences about Shoni Schimmel with no evidence. We don't know what's happening and why. And beyond a certain point we have no right to know. I assume that in the near future we will learn either that Shoni Schimmel will rejoin the Liberty or, more likely (I"m guessing), that she won't.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: