RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Seattle Storm 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/24/17 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Seattle finished sub .500 in 2016 with 3 all-league players......any slippage from Bird could send them into the lottery,and that might not be a bad thing.Peterson is a low I.Q undersized pg.Quinn shot 27% last season.

Missing the playoffs and getting a top 4 pick wouldn't be the worst outcome for seattle.

Laughing Low IQ, come on...

zune69

PostPosted: 04/24/17 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Seattle finished sub .500 in 2016 with 3 all-league players......any slippage from Bird could send them into the lottery,and that might not be a bad thing.Peterson is a low I.Q undersized pg.Quinn shot 27% last season.

Missing the playoffs and getting a top 4 pick wouldn't be the worst outcome for seattle.

I should've been more specific.I wasn't talking about Peterson's intelligence.I was referring to her basketball IQ.

Peterson's shot selection is subpar.She does an inadequate job of setting up her teammates.The ball sticks to her hands(Dibble,dribble,dribble).Peterson racked up a high number of assist,but that's only because she had a high usage rate.Passing the basketball was secondary.She averaged 19 fg attempts per game.Peterson's a combo guard.I believe she can develop into a instant offense player of the bench,but starting pg ?...I doubt it.

sigur3

PostPosted: 04/24/17 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
zune69 wrote:

I should've been more specific.I wasn't talking about Peterson's intelligence.I was referring to her basketball IQ.

Peterson's shot selection is subpar.She does an inadequate job of setting up her teammates.The ball sticks to her hands(Dibble,dribble,dribble).Peterson racked up a high number of assist,but that's only because she had a high usage rate.Passing the basketball was secondary.She averaged 19 fg attempts per game.Peterson's a combo guard.I believe she can develop into a instant offense player of the bench,but starting pg ?...I doubt it.

She assisted 42.5% of her teammates' baskets this season.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/24/17 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Zune's a bit harsh on her. I'll be interested to see how it works out. When I saw Syr, I thought she did quite a nice job and played within herself. Sometimes a player dribbles a lot because that is what the coach wants. I thought she picked her spots pretty well. And she had pretty good games even when the team lost. Steady, which is something I like to see, especially in a PG.

- Amanda Gorman
Randy

PostPosted: 04/24/17 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought her main problem was just her size.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/24/17 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I thought she picked her spots pretty well. And she had pretty good games even when the team lost. Steady, which is something I like to see, especially in a PG.

You mean like when she single handedly shot her team into oblivion against Georgia Tech?

10-37 shooting, 2-16 from the arc, 5 assists, 5 turnovers, 4 fouls.

EVERY spot is HER spot.

I thought Zune wasn't far off.

She may end up making Ariel Powers look downright generous with the ball.

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/24/17 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I found it very hard to evaluate Peterson. So, much of her production comes off turnovers caused by the Syracuse pressure defense. When the Orange aren't able to create turnovers, their offense can become very stagnant. It often ends up being Sykes going one-on-one and everybody else hoisting 3's. Because Peterson has the ball and is a star, she does more hoisting than most. Is that her fault or the coach? We know Hillsman is a strong proponent of the statistical theory that you should shoot mostly layups or three's. We saw that last year when Brianna Butler tossed up 415 3Pt attempts or almost 11 per game. It was all with Quentin's blessing.

PostPosted: 04/24/17 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
I found it very hard to evaluate Peterson. So, much of her production comes off turnovers caused by the Syracuse pressure defense. When the Orange aren't able to create turnovers, their offense can become very stagnant. It often ends up being Sykes going one-on-one and everybody else hoisting 3's. Because Peterson has the ball and is a star, she does more hoisting than most. Is that her fault or the coach? We know Hillsman is a strong proponent of the statistical theory that you should shoot mostly layups or three's. We saw that last year when Brianna Butler tossed up 415 3Pt attempts or almost 11 per game. It was all with Quentin's blessing.

The problem is that it's too easy to look at gaudy numbers and think someone who hoisted a ton of shots under Hillsman can also play in a disciplined system against bigger faster players who play defense. Speaking of Butler, you don't see her in the League, do you?

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/24/17 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
root_thing wrote:

The problem is that it's too easy to look at gaudy numbers and think someone who hoisted a ton of shots under Hillsman can also play in a disciplined system against bigger faster players who play defense. Speaking of Butler, you don't see her in the League, do you?

I agree. That's why for me Peterson was one of many hard to assess players in a low conviction draft. On the one hand, you have to respect the consistency of performance, putting up good numbers game after game -- usually with decent efficiency. But you wonder if she isn't just a product of that particular system. For me, watching Peterson was kind of like watching Osahor. Night after night, you can pretty much pencil in great numbers -- nothing to complain about performance-wise -- but in the end, you're still not convinced.

PostPosted: 04/24/17 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:

She assisted 42.5% of her teammates' baskets this season.

High usage rate.......Peterson got most of her assist from one on one drive and kick plays(Odyssey Sim type assist).There's nothing wrong with creating individual offense when the shot clock is about to expire.However,hero ball accounts for a high percentage of Peterson's offense.I prefer pg's who play within the offense,and involve their teammates.She also has bad body language when things go bad,Something I noticed during the uconn game.

Go back and watch the 1st quarter of the syracuse/uconn tournament game.Peterson's shot selection and pass recognition was very underwhelming.She absolutely killed syracuse in the 1st quarter.

Play by play 1st qt-Peterson:

missed jumper
Turnover
Missed layup
Turnover
Turnover
Turnover
made jumper
missed three pointer
missed jumper

This wasn't great defense by uconn,it was poor decision making on the part of Peterson.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/24/17 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I thought she picked her spots pretty well. And she had pretty good games even when the team lost. Steady, which is something I like to see, especially in a PG.

You mean like when she single handedly shot her team into oblivion against Georgia Tech?

EVERY spot is HER spot.

Art you have it out for Ariel Powers ive noticed . She seems to set the bar for future failures in your eyes . I cant wait til she makes you eat her dust Laughing

PostPosted: 04/24/17 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

EVERY spot is HER spot.

Art you have it out for Ariel Powers ive noticed . She seems to set the bar for future failures in your eyes . I cant wait til she makes you eat her dust Laughing

There may end up being a home for Powers. I just hope it's not on a team I root for. I doubt if it will be on a successful team.

She's a dead end with the ball.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/24/17 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, hopefully we get to see what Petey can/can't do. I agree she was a bit hard to assess just coming from the team/style of play that Hillsman uses.

As far as Powers go, I'm toward Art's end of the spectrum, but will give her another season before being too harsh. She never seems to pass the ball and doesn't choose her shots very well, but she is athletic and active Wink We'll see if she's matured a bit in year two. A lot of these girls have been the go-to player their whole career so it takes them awhile to realize their teammates may be as good as or better than they are, so that from a team standpoint it behooves them to share the ball.

- Amanda Gorman
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/24/17 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

EVERY spot is HER spot.

There may end up being a home for Powers. I just hope it's not on a team I root for. I doubt if it will be on a successful team.

She's a dead end with the ball.

10.1 PPG 2.7 Rebs 1.1 APG for your SG/SF 's rookie season ill take it . Shes a keeper here on my team so we will root for her once were in the finals !! Laughing

PostPosted: 04/24/17 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

10.1 PPG 2.7 Rebs 1.1 APG for your SG/SF 's rookie season ill take it . Shes a keeper here on my team so we will root for her once were in the finals !! Laughing

You left off the negative assist-to-turnover ratio.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/24/17 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

yes i did , shes not needed for decision making .1 year of exp. only shes not a 4th year Guard . Lets give her a few more years under her belt before making assumptions that shes not a good player.

PostPosted: 04/24/17 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

yes i did , shes not needed for decision making .1 year of exp. only shes not a 4th year Guard . Lets give her a few more years under her belt before making assumptions that shes not a good player.

Patience is a very lost art around here it seems.

PostPosted: 04/24/17 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

This is something only afforded to some players, as I discovered.

PostPosted: 04/24/17 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She will not get a lot of playing time. Heck she might not even make the team. Quinn Loyd and maybe even Ohea will take up the ball up the court whenever Birdy sits

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
tfan

PostPosted: 04/25/17 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades

PostPosted: 04/25/17 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't suppose we could keep images from 600-700 wide?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 05/01/17 7:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does this Storm have the depth to be a contender?

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/storm/does-this-storm-have-the-depth-to-be-a-contender/

Quote:
“I’m not going to say we were overconfident or anything like that, but we controlled the first half and felt pretty good about that,” Loyd said. “Then all of sudden, we kind of all looked at each other and was stunned by what was happening. We couldn’t really figure out what happened to us.”

Atlanta shut down Seattle in the second half with an unorthodox box-and-1 defense, in which the Dream assigned a player to shadow Stewart and utilized a zone defense with the remaining four players.

Quote:
“But for us to get to where we want to be, no question we need our young stars to continue growing," Bird chirped. "Jenny likes to say we need our role players to be stars in their roles. … But yeah, on paper we stack up against anybody.”

Shades

PostPosted: 05/01/17 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VhptbgD5wEo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

merlina

PostPosted: 05/02/17 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm a STH and just learned that the Storm has added a "general admission family zone" that includes the back of my section where kids are encouraged to "cheer as loud as you can." I can only think that now every game has the potential to be like Kids Day. Am I unreasonable to be pissed about this? I definitely would have looked into moving my seat if I'd known about it.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 05/02/17 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sue has started practicing, per Boucek

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 8 of 19

Jump to: