RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2017 WNBA Predictions!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
miller40

PostPosted: 04/22/17 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Griner only averaged 6 rebounds this season in Euroleague. I don't see how she'll jump that gap to 10 a game against stronger competition in the WNBA.

toad455

PostPosted: 04/22/17 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Which never made sense to me. Players like Larkins, Langhorne, Kizer, Brunson, etc. are much better rebounders and are only 6'1"/6'2". Griner at 6'9" just doesn't seem to understand the basics of rebounding.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 04/22/17 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
If Griner gets her fair share of touches I can see her averaging close to 20p/10r.Brittney is a career 56%fg/79%ft shooter.Without Bonner/Dupree,Griner should average in the area of 14 shots per game.

This is not the MVP thread

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 04/22/17 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Which never made sense to me. Players like Larkins, Langhorne, Kizer, Brunson, etc. are much better rebounders and are only 6'1"/6'2". Griner at 6'9" just doesn't seem to understand the basics of rebounding.

Her game is shot blocking

pilight

PostPosted: 04/22/17 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I predict....pain

PostPosted: 04/22/17 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
zune69 wrote:
If Griner gets her fair share of touches I can see her averaging close to 20p/10r.Brittney is a career 56%fg/79%ft shooter.Without Bonner/Dupree,Griner should average in the area of 14 shots per game.

This is not the MVP thread

Maya > Everybody for MVP....

Randy

PostPosted: 04/22/17 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I predict....pain

And sadness. Crying or Very sad

Huskie

PostPosted: 04/24/17 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
But why exactly would she suddenly become a half-decent rebounder?

No one here is holding their breath. Wink

PostPosted: 05/07/17 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
1. Los Angeles
2. Minnesota
3. Washington
4. New York
5. Seattle
6. Phoenix
7. Dallas
8. Chicago
9. Connecticut
10. Indiana
11. San Antonio
12. Atlanta

LA - This is Chelsea Gray's year to show she can get the ball into Nneka & Parker plus sink that rainbow when needed. With Alana & Essence providing top notch defense in the backcourt, Chelsea can do her thing on defense, jumping passing lanes and bothering shorter guards.

Minny - injuries to oldsters will keep them from winning it all. The window is shut, but the aging stars don't know it yet and will fight to the end.

DC - Redux of the run and gun Mercury. One key player away from winning it all. A big off the bench who provides defense AND scoring. A true facilitating PG to back up KTO. A SF who can play defense AND score. Any one of these three player acquisitions and injury in LA can put DC over the top.

NY - Almost there. Katie Smith in her prime as lead guard is all they need to execute LFO's gameplan.

Middle/bottom: I expect USun will compete for a playoff spot, with Phoenix, Dallas and Chicago all vulnerable. Indiana, San Antonio and Atlanta all hoping to obtain a savior in next year's draft. Phoenix will miss Penny Taylor. A LOT. Seattle desperately needs a BIG defender and a young Birdie.

REVISION (after most preseason games)

1. Los Angeles
2. Minnesota
3. Washington
4. New York
5. Seattle
6. Dallas
7. Connecticut
8. Chicago
9. Phoenix
10. Indiana
11. San Antonio
12. Atlanta

Phoenix drops down - losing 3/5 starting lineup = PAIN in Phoenix

Dallas up - Rookie Fab 5 + POY candidate Diggins-Smith = Playoffs

USun up - healthy Tuck, more seasoned Jonquel Jones, confident Jasmine Thomas = out of the 2018 lottery. J.Thomas is not a top PG, but she is playing some great ball. Locker room is solid.

~rAf
jap

PostPosted: 05/07/17 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Rebounding is much more about positioning and 'want to' than mere height. It is no accident that Dennis Rodman was one of the NBA all time best rebounders. He studied opposing shooters to see what angles their shots tended to deflect to, and he positioned himself accordingly.

PostPosted: 05/09/17 5:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Allright after the preseason here is a revised prediction based on what I observed

1.Minnesota
2.Los Angeles
3.New York

4. Washington
5. Phoenix
6.Seattle
7.Connecticut
8.Indiana
9. Dallas

10. Chicago
11. San Antonio
12. Atlanta

Broke it up to show the packs, each string imagine as no more than 2 games gap, Dallas still gets the short straw namely with Expierence from Indy keeping the streak alive this could just be a tie breaker honestly tho Dallas is still rumored to be making moves so another reason why they will likely be on the wrong side of the bubble

NY's SF debacle and a tough early schedule (tho the back to back free schedule and most games being on Friday and Sunday will aid them in the long run) gives LA a 1 game rub over them for the double bye.

J. Jones looks FRANCHISE, CT has a LOT of pieces but not sure what the puzzle is of just yet, as this shakes out they will be dangerous, still think next year is the big breakout but they make the playoffs solidly, 7th.

DC moves up 2 spots tho I still have MAJOR defensive questions there. Could be one of those classic Thiebault win a ton of games and have nothing for the playoffs teams.

Seattle moves back to 6th, I still like them but I still like Phoenix 5th so they get lost in the shuffle but this likely will come to head to head...early injury concerns don't bode well tho so a step back

Chicago I don't like at all trying to squeeze in a ton of posts, seems more looking for local talent than good talent. All over the place so that 10th will likely be distant...but still better than SA (who now with plum injured for now gotta be questioning their backcourt...this is starting to feel volatile.) and Tanking Atlanta who will be as bad as they need to be to get Wilson to replace aging Lyttle. The bottom 3 will be BAD...I can see 2 single digit win teams...and trust me SA could move to 10th easily but the Plum Drama is what has me keeping them 11th but out of the cellar.

Top 3 22 wins and up

middle 6 no more than 2 games over/under 500

bottom 3 20 losses.

that stratified. Maybe SA makes a run if Plum takes off healthy (and coffey was a steal apparently which in an ass backwards way makes things worse with the guard controversy) But Atlanta and Chicago are gonna really be poor this year.

PostPosted: 05/11/17 5:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1. Minnesota
2. New York
3. DC
4. LA
5. Phoenix
6. Seattle
7. Connecticut
8. Chicago
9. Indiana
10. Atlanta
11. San Antonio
12. Dallas

PostPosted: 05/11/17 6:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

10-12. Dallas. No way for ambitions when you lose Sims, Phillips, Hooper for nothing and your main point of preseason is to find roster place for all 5 rookies. Ridiculous.

10-12 CT. They couldn't make PO with Chiney, why they should be better without her? Tuck and JJ are too young and their best player from the bench is Adams. No way.

10-12. I'm worried, will Hayes keep her actress talent high under new circumstances? Where to find 20 ppg, fast break points and perimeter defense without Angel? One plan in attack - rebound, run and hope for FT.

No PO for these teams

9-6. Indiana. Not talented and not balanced roster. Pree is odd substance in "hustle and defense" motto. Who will step up? Only Mitchell has potential.

9-6. SAS - With Plum and healthy McBride they will have 3 times more scorers on the floor, then last season. Young and promising, uprising team

9-6. Phoenix. Last year they finished 8 with PFT, DB and Pree. 8! What the miracle should happen for Mercs, to get at least to the top4. Do you believe, DT will die on the road games to win? I rather believe, she would get 16 techs in the middle july.

9-6. Sky. Their losts are terrible. And still they have enough depth to stay in competition for lower PO spots. I liked Imani progress from what I have seen in preseason games. Finish of the last season gave the answer - yes, they can live without EDD

5. Seattle. Stuart will be MVP candidate, Loyd will be in top scorers, their core played together last two seasons - and it always works good for improving results.

4. Liberty. Don't unestimate Tanisha lost. She was Liberty best (and only) perimeter stopper. And their guard line became even thinner. Piph can't win games and Tina solo is not enough to beat whole LA. Still have fantastic group of bigs to insure result in top-4.

3. Mystics. On paper their are 3rd talanted team in the league. And they are scary match up for Lynx. I'm not sure that Tibault is proper coach for such run and gun loaded team. But they should win most of the games vs weaker teams just on pure advantage in scoring.

2. Lynx. They are too good for other teams to catch. They are too old to catch LA. Their best years left when Robb Stark and Catylin still were alive.

1. LA. Sims can make open corner threes, I'm pretty sure. Riquna, Gray and Lavender - top bench in the league. Alana still can destroy any pg on defense. Nneka and CP3 still best frontcourt duo in the league. And the League obviously get more preferences, when its best team is from LA.

Last edited by Lumes on 05/11/17 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
markinct

PostPosted: 05/11/17 7:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm having trouble understanding that some of y'all are saying that CT is too young.....but you have Phoenix as high as a 5 in your standings predictions. They have like 2 returning players, one of them in her 12th season so while Diana is still Diana, she's still aging! Griner is Griner as well....they added Camille Little who is also aging and in her last season with CT was pretty much a non factor. They have like 5 rookies on the team as of this moment and OH, they grabbed Lelani Mitchell but this makes them better than last years team with Dupree, Penny Taylor and DeWanna Bonner????? CT did lose Chiney but they picked up Kizer which is a HUGE plus for them. Had they not picked her up, I'd agree with most of the criticism but I think this CT team is significantly bigger, better, stronger and more united than we've seen in years.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/11/17 7:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2. Sparks. This is team that luminates well on flatten tree pulp. But the game with ball and nets is won with breakdown of H2O. Agler will be frustrated sitting his new babies who must be bottle fed. There will no longer be arrow helping Sparks against the steep ascent. No longer will two legged zebras be roaming the plains with broken watches.

1. Not rusted but rested. All starters intact from the team of cheated destiny.

Queenie

PostPosted: 05/11/17 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

...fuck did I just read?

I'm really hoping that the fuck I just read was not one poster mocking another poster's English language skills, because I would be more than willing to construe that as a personal attack and drop the banhammer.

(now with spelling variations)
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/12/17 1:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I pretty much agree with the general consensus I would put it this way

Top 5 player Top 5 teams

1 and 2 the true elite teams

Minnesota- Nothing has changed Minnesota has a third of the US national team on its roster, and with Brunson, Howard, Montgomery and Perkins enough role support, and some young guns who are going to give it their all when they are on the floor to make a good impression, and Maya Moore is awesome so that will keep that up at the top.

LA-Last years MVP N. Ogwumike can have another great season. Love her, hate her C. Parker is still one of the best in the world that 1,2 punch is enough, but seasoned vets like Carson, Lavender and Beard who know their roles, up and coming C. Gray ready to take another step forward that is enough to keep them at the top. Sims and R. Williams if they blend in are two very good players, its hard to judge players when they come from a struggling team to one with super-stars and a good coach. I think they are at the point in their careers where they might want to win more than shine if so LA is deep. If not they might not get a lot of time, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

3-5
We have a super star and good support, if 1 or 2 falters we'll be there to step in.

NY- Tina Charles lead the league in Points and rebound this year she might not have to and NY will still be a contender. Rodgers has gotten better every year with the Liberty no reason to think that won't continue. Healthy Prince inn town for most of the games wow maybe NY has three player that will average double digits. Stokes ready to step up as a starter? Boyd ready to take another step forward from the back up PG position? I think both answers will be yes. Zellous, Vaughn, Hartley Ok that is some nice mature depth off the bench. Zahui B and R. Allen time to breakout, if either one becomes something this season NY is in very good shape.

WAS-EDD with something to prove, yeah I don't want to go up against that. Toliver coming in as a championship winner off her best pro season sounds like pretty good running mate. E. Meesseman no longer needing to be the alpha, pressure off game on. Hill ready to step up to star status as the 4th best player. A nice collection of role players and vets who were in everygame they played without the star power. Yeah Washington will be really good this season.

Seattle-B. Stewart best rookie year since C. Parker and was just scratching th surface of her potential, 3rd yeat star Loyd as her running mate all directed by the best PG the league has seen coming in off of one of her best seasons in years. Clark similar to Carson in LA is that perfect I work hard and blend with the stars type of player to fill out the starters. Adding some size in Swords and Montgomery to add some physicality in the post. Scoring off the bench in Langhorne, Tokashiki and KML. Seattle has plenty to keep itself in the running.

6. this team is weird but better than they've played

PX Something was up last year in PX. PFT had a mediocre season, Dupree was kind of non-exsistant, a lot of the team played in the Olympics, not really an excuse but maybe there just wasn't focus on the task at hand. But A team with a real PG in D-Rob (and a real back up PG in Mitchell), D. Taurasi who still is a great, and Griner who I think will have her own kind of breakthrough season won't be that bad again, even with a supporting cast that is, well, an undefined quantity. As ridiculous as it might seem I think they will be better this year than last. And If Xargay and Petrovic show up later in the season PX could easily win a playoff game or two.

7-12

OK its kind of wimpy just saying 7-12 but the next 6 yeams are facing one of two situations that I think will be hard to over come. 2 will still make the playoffs at the moment I give the edge to Chicago and Dallas simply becuase they have the highest level of talent in Chicago through-out the team,in Dallas in their top 3 players.

Problem 1 we are missing the centerpiece superstar from last year.

Chicago-No EDD. Sloot, Pondexter, Quigley, Breland and Young are talented vets which is why they are at the head of the pack, but the Sky without EDD will struggle. Boyette is the future, I hope Dolson and Copper are good additions but no EDD and new coach just is going to be hard to overcome.

Indy-No Catching. Indy the last couple of years with Catching was a so/so team with Tamika carrying them on her back to a decent amount of wins. January, S. Johnson, Coleman, Larkins they're good but they need a Catchings' and I'm not sure a Dupree on the downward swing of her good career is enough of a replacement. It will be interesting to see who steps up from that group or if T. Mitchell becomes one of the best players on the team, but you can't replace T. Catchings.

Atl-No Angel. Love her, hate her Angel was Atlanta for the last few years. McCoughtry has been carrying her team all the way back to the Louisville days to higher than expected heights, when she played with Lyttle and De Souza in their prime th Dream made a number of W finals. Atl without Angel will be helmed by T. Hayes and E. Williams with support from Veteran Lyttle, Clarendon, and an emerging Bria Holmes. Atl will be a fun team to root for, but they just don't have enough fire power to go very far.

The other problem we are too young. Youth can always surprise, but when matched up against the teams in the top half that have talent and experience it will be hard to get past that night in night out with just talent and pluck.

Dallas The reason I give Dallas the best shot of the youth brigade is simply Diggins and Gory Johnson are very good and will have something to prove and be fully healthy for the first time in a few season. C. Paris is a decent experienced center we all know her short-coming but she is still going to be a top rebounder. K. Christmas is another vet who can bring it on both ends of the floor night in and night out. After that it is pretty much the fab 5 which is a fun idea, but will take the Wings out of games this season more often than keep them in them.

Conn-Has a very bright future, But are young and lost their best player, that is a lot to overcome. Jasmine and Alyssa Thomas are a solid foundation, Bentley is a decent scoring guard, Kizer is a bigger, stronger, younger (but is she better, yeah, probably this season) C. Little. J. Jones looks poised for a borderline all-star breakout kind of season, I think C. Williams might be the bigger surprise this season if she gets the minutes, Banham and Tuck are back in the game and healthy, B. Jones is a nice pick up, but in close games against more experienced teams it will be hard to close them out. Conn will win somwe games and probably be competitve in more, but experience does have a value and Conn simply doesn't have enough. Maybe they make it to the last playoff spot but it will be a battle.

SA-This team will score more than last year. Plum, and healthy McBride added to Jefferson will assure that. Harrison looks ready to become a big minutes player this season. Coffey has a lot of potential. Currie is pretty much their main vet. The post is still questionable and whether you can play Plum and Jefferson a lot of minutes together is a legit question. While SA will score more I think it will be hard for them to defend more experienced teams, they don't have enough quality in the post stop the top teams. They'll be exciting, I love VJ, but they're still a year away and need a little more talent IMO to breakout of the lottery.

tfan

PostPosted: 05/12/17 6:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like the way you broke it down into 3 categories J-Spoon.

Randy

PostPosted: 05/12/17 6:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great analysis J-Spoon!

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 05/12/17 6:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think its 2 years away for SA but will be building to the special zone.

I feel dallas is tanking...with Powers injured this may make sense. SIX rookies. Cut Erin Phillips looks like opening cap room for something...rumors Johnson is on the block (which I'd be in favor of) drafted all of Wilson's teammates...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm This is less tank and more nuke a roster rife with Knuckleheads and try to rebuild quickly...Smart actually but I now move them from 9 to 11 or even 12...Atlanta and Dallas will be superbad I fear. Not great for the league but it is what it is. We knew this could happen the moment Diamond shockingly decided to return to Tennessee.

SA will be the beneficiary but still likely goes to 10th...I fear that bottom 4 will be pretty hard to watch...with SA the best team to watch out of that lot...not fun...but a deep draft will do that.

PostPosted: 05/12/17 8:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Great analysis J-Spoon!

Agreed!

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 05/13/17 8:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Idea Arrow

Minnesota Shocked
    Los Angeles
    Washington
    New York
    Seattle
    Phoenix
    Atlanta
    Dallas
    Connecticut
    Chicago
    Indiana
    San Antonio

- I'll take MIN to WIN. Confused
- LA not all being back yet had me place them in 2nd.
- NY not looking the best in preseason had me rank them below WAS.
- Griner playing like an All-Star instead of the superstar she should be has me rank PHO below SEA.
- ATL's Lyttle-Williams combo looks better than the remaining post combos.
- DAL and CON both have young and talented teams; Having Diggins gives them the ranking edge.
- Vandersloot to Boyette should be nice... once Vandersloot gets back, that is.
- January is great, but where's the help? Defense should still be in place from last year.
- Nice 3-guard lineup, but with a rookie SG, and rookie SGs generally don't shoot well. That and I can't recognize the defense.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/13/17 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tweaked by predictions based on injuries(Chicago) and lack of trades(Chicago).

1. Los Angeles
2. Minnesota
3. New York
4. Seattle
5. Washington
6. Indiana
7. Dallas
8. Connecticut
9. Phoenix
10. Chicago
11. San Antonio
12. Atlanta

FIRST ROUND
(5) Washington def. (8) Connecticut
(7) Dallas def. (6) Indiana

SECOND ROUND
(3) New York def. (7) Dallas
(5) Washington def. (4) Seattle

SEMIFINALS
(1) Los Angeles def. (5) Washington 3-1
(3) New York def. (2) Minnesota 3-2

FINALS
(1) Los Angeles def. (3) New York 3-1

pilight

PostPosted: 05/13/17 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/BrownGothamite/status/863420928247701505

Quote:
After doing her research, here is Pep's 2017 WNBA season preview!

PostPosted: 07/08/17 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With the Sun doing better than probably anyone expected, I can see them getting as high as the #3 seed since they seem to have the advantage over Washington and New York. #4-#6 will be between Washington, Phoenix and New York. Seattle is playing terribly, but i see them getting into the playoffs with Dallas.

Midseason predictions:
1. Minnesota
2. Los Angeles
3. Connecticut
4. New York
5. Washington
6. Phoenix
7. Dallas
8. Seattle
9. Atlanta
10. Indiana
11. Chicago
12. San Antonio

First round
(5) Washington def. (8) Seattle
(7) Dallas def. (6) Phoenix

Second round
(3) Connecticut def. (7) Dallas
(4) New York def. (5) Washington

Semifinals
(1) Minnesota def. (4) New York 3-1
(3) Connecticut def. (2) Los Angeles 3-2

Finals
(1) Minnesota def. (3) Connecticut 3-1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: