G - Tiffany Hayes
G - Epiphanny Prince OR Sugar Rodgers
G - Kristi Toliver
G - Courtney Vandersloot
F - Elena Delle Donne
F - Stefanie Dolson
F - Candice Dupree
F - Emma Meesseman
F - Kiah Stokes OR Alyssa Thomas (Chiney if she's healthy)
C - Tina Charles
C - Elizabeth Williams

West
G - Sue Bird
G - Skylar Diggins
G - Jewell Loyd
G - Moriah Jefferson OR Kayla McBride OR Kelsey Plum OR Odyssey Sims
G - Diana Taurasi
F - Glory Johnson OR Aerial Powers
F - Maya Moore
F - Nneka Ogwumike
F - Candace Parker
F - Breanna Stewart
C - Sylvia Fowles
C - Brittney Griner

Anyone else have a shot?

Last edited by PickledGinger on 04/17/17 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/17/17 3:00 pm    ::: Re: All-Stars 2017 Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
East
G - Alex Bentley OR Tiffany Mitchell
G - Kristi Toliver
G - Courtney Vandersloot
G - Tiffany Hayes
F - Elena Delle Donne
F - Stefanie Dolson
F - Candice Dupree
F - Emma Meesseman
C - Tina Charles
C - Elizabeth Williams

West
G - Sue Bird
G - Skylar Diggins
G - Jewell Loyd
G - Diana Taurasi
F - Maya Moore
F - Nneka Ogwumike
F - Candace Parker
F - Breanna Stewart
C - Sylvia Fowles
C - Brittney Griner

Anyone else have a shot?

Pretty sad to compare those rosters.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 04/17/17 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Right??? This is why Eastern Conference teams have won 4 Championships in 20 tries. The talent disparity between the two has always been a huge issue.

With the new playoff format it is going to be even more difficult but I definitely think Washington could do it in the next couple years.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/17/17 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Right??? This is why Eastern Conference teams have won 4 Championships in 20 tries.

The eastern conference has won five WNBA championships (1997, 2003, 2006, 2008, and 2012)

PostPosted: 04/17/17 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I forgot Houston was in the EC for their first season. My point still stands though.

UK1996

PostPosted: 04/17/17 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Shoni somehow survives or gets picked up by another team, does she yet again get voted as an all star? I think so. I think she'll end up on another team even if its a short stint.

East
G - Courtney Vandersloot
G - Sugar Rodgers
G - Epiphanny Prince
G - Kristi Toliver
G - Tiffany Mitchell
F - Elena Delle Donne
F - Jonquel Jones
F - Emma Meeseman
F - Tina Charles
F - bria Holmes
C - Imani Boyette
C - Elizabeth Williams

West
G - Sue Bird
G - Skylar Diggins
G - Diana Taurasi
G - Jewell Loyd
G - Kayla McBride
F - Maya Moore
F - Candace Parker
F - Breanna Stewart
F - Nneka Ogwumike
F - Aerial Powers
C - Brittany Griner
C - Sylvia Fowles

PostPosted: 04/20/17 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

East

G-Alex Bentley
G-Epiphany Prince
G-Kristi Toliver
G-Courtney Vandersloot
G-Tiffany Hayes
F-Candice Dupree
F-Elena Delle Donne
F-Emma Messeman
F-Stefanie Dolson
F-Jonquel Jones
C-Tina Charles
C-Elizabeth Williams

West

G-Sue Bird
G-Skylar Diggins
G-Jewell Loyd
G-Diana Taurasi
G-Moriah Jefferson
F-Kayla McBride
F-Nneka Ogwumike
F-Candace Parker
F-Breanna Stewart
F-Maya Moore
C-Sylvia Fowles
C-Britney Griner

Yikes, I just realized I left off Whalen and Augustus. The talent in the West is just ridiculous.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 04/20/17 10:08 pm    ::: Re: All-Stars 2017 Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
East
G - Alex Bentley OR Tiffany Mitchell
G - Kristi Toliver
G - Courtney Vandersloot
G - Tiffany Hayes
F - Elena Delle Donne
F - Stefanie Dolson
F - Candice Dupree
F - Emma Meesseman
C - Tina Charles
C - Elizabeth Williams

West
G - Sue Bird
G - Skylar Diggins
G - Jewell Loyd
G - Diana Taurasi
F - Maya Moore
F - Nneka Ogwumike
F - Candace Parker
F - Breanna Stewart
C - Sylvia Fowles
C - Brittney Griner

Anyone else have a shot?

Pretty sad to compare those rosters.

X________

The West has olympian level talent at every position. The East eh Wink

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/20/17 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

East

g-Sloot
g-Toliver
g-Rodgers
g-T. Mitchell
g-Hayes
f-EDD
f-Charles
f-A. Thomas
f-Dupree
f-Meesseman
C. E. Williams
C. Stokes

West

g-Whalen
g-Bird
g-Diggins
g-Taurasi
g-Loyd
f-Moore
f-GloJo
f-Stewart
f-N. Ogwumike
f-Parker
c-Griner
C-Fowles

Other possibilities in the East
Hill, Holmes, Boyette, Dolson, Pondexter, January

possibilities in the West
Powers, D-Rob, Jefferson, McBride, Sims, C. Gray

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/21/17 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe I'm missing something: Aerial Powers shot below 40% and had more turnovers than assists -- while starting just two games last year.

And she's a potential all-star?

PostPosted: 04/21/17 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something: Aerial Powers shot below 40% and had more turnovers than assists -- while starting just two games last year.

And she is coming off an injury.. she might compete for that 6th player of the year award but allstar i dont think so

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/21/17 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Not to be rude, but do you watch these players consistently or due you just solely rely on stats to base your determination of players?

PostPosted: 04/21/17 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

And she is coming off an injury.. she might compete for that 6th player of the year award but allstar i dont think so

Maybe she can get the Schoni Schimmel "the fans seem to like her for some reason, but why is she here?" All Star slot.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/21/17 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I think her injury might be overblown at this point. Shes been spotted a few times here in dallas and she was at the draft . She looks fine walking in heels i think she could be fully recovered but only gametime will judge.

PostPosted: 04/21/17 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Not to be rude, but do you watch these players consistently or due you just solely rely on stats to base your determination of players?

A fair question ... but I do watch more than a few games on TV during the summer, and Powers never jumped out at me.

I think the problem with "eye test" is that unless you watch a player in multiple games -- and pay close attention -- you can be fooled by a bad game, or a good game. Powers looks athletic, and looks like a player, and a lot of people like her, but nothing I've seen (in college or the WNBA), and nothing objective, suggests that she's more than a rotation player.

Same with Tiffany Mitchell ... looks good, but Alysha Clark, who fails the eye test in comparison, is much more productive.

PostPosted: 04/21/17 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
ClayK wrote:

A fair question ... but I do watch more than a few games on TV during the summer, and Powers never jumped out at me.

I think the problem with "eye test" is that unless you watch a player in multiple games -- and pay close attention -- you can be fooled by a bad game, or a good game. Powers looks athletic, and looks like a player, and a lot of people like her, but nothing I've seen (in college or the WNBA), and nothing objective, suggests that she's more than a rotation player.

Same with Tiffany Mitchell ... looks good, but Alysha Clark, who fails the eye test in comparison, is much more productive.

Definitely understable once you put it that way. Very Happy

PostPosted: 04/21/17 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
ClayK wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Watching Ariel in person during the summer in Arlington she most definitely stood out . She should be starting with promising potential to possibly lead us in scoring. Stood out Offensively to be exact.

PostPosted: 04/21/17 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's not an either/or -- you have to watch the games AND check the numbers. If you only watch the games, you're always subject to observation bias. Your expectations will affect what you see. There's also the problem of not seeing a player enough to establish a baseline for normal performance.

On the other hand, if you only look at the numbers, you miss context and trends. Is the player being double-teamed? Is she playing through an injury? Did she get off to a poor start, but has since corrected her problems? Is the player being used incorrectly or is she a poor fit for that system? Is she doing the "little things" that don't show up in the boxscore like playing tough defense, taking charges, setting screens, diving for loose balls, etc?

Also, this thread is about predictions. For a young player, you're projecting improvement. So, simply looking at last year's stats isn't really the point.

PostPosted: 04/21/17 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
ClayK wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Watching Ariel in person during the summer in Arlington she most definitely stood out . She should be starting with promising potential to possibly lead us in scoring. Stood out Offensively to be exact.

To me in the games I recall, she stood out defensively (creating deflections and scrapping for rebounds). That wasn't something I was really expected from her being a Big Ten fan. I wonder if it's because that's the kind of defense Williams likes and emphasizes, similar to the defense that he misses from McCoughtry.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/21/17 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

If that happens it will be a huge disappointment to me. Powers' hands are where perfectly useful balls go to disappear and die.

And Dallas fans will have to practice their Olé cheers for when she does her matador imitation on defense.

If Powers starts and leads the team in scoring, Dallas is going nowhere. I would have to ask why they dumped Sims if this was the outcome.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/21/17 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="ArtBest23"]
WNBA 09 wrote:

Quote:

If that happens it will be a huge disappointment to me. Powers' hands are where perfectly useful balls go to disappear and die.

This is 100 % true but who else do we have besides her or skylar to rely on , ill take my chances with Ariel creating her own . She showed flashes last season of what she can become . Once she works on becoming more consistent and efficient she can be an all star without question in my opinion.

Quote:
And Dallas fans will have to practice their Olé cheers for when she does her matador imitation on defense.

We have already noticed , lol thats why i thought she stood out offensively more-so . She does have active hands and good feet from a defensive aspect , but her discipline is not where it should be on that end of the court. Alot of dumb fouls last season . She has to realize her importance to the team and understand solid defense .

Quote:
If Powers starts and leads the team in scoring, Dallas is going nowhere. I would have to ask why they dumped Sims if this was the outcome.

I disagree , but only time will tell . Sims was more of a headache in the locker room than on the court . Although she was not always the jolliest teammate on the floor neither , but its unfair to compare the 2.

PostPosted: 04/21/17 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jonquel Jones will definately be an all-star this year. Count on it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: