New York Liberty 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 04/20/17 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Shades wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
Please no more player who are remotely likable.

Bad news, Spooner. My discussion in the Surprise Uninvited thread may have gotten the Libs another likeable player on the roster. Chinwe Okorie from MSU. I could see Laimbeer liking her. I'd definitely rate her above Kai James.

I'm not that familiar with her but based on a description Root gave I do not see her, or James for that matter challenging for a spot. Our four current posts Stokes, Vaughn, Charles and Zahui B can all play both the Center or Forward spot so we're covered for true bigs. We do need a player who can play the 3 and the 4 which is why one of Burdick or Raincock-Ekunwe looks like a sure thing.

Earlier I had nine players competing for two roster spots. Now it's 10 players competing for those two jobs. And if we believe that Lindsay Allen is a lock to make the team, then it's nine players competing for ONE roster spot.

PostPosted: 04/20/17 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Schimmel is in shape, as suggested, I would say all bets are off

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/21/17 1:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Schimmel variation (the one I've been secretly rooting for but had given up on)

Prince/Boyd
Rodgers/Hartley/Schimmel
Allen/Zellous
Charles/Zahui B/Burrdick or Raincock-Ekunwe
Stokes/Vaughn

I like Schimmel because she can play at the 1 or the 2. I also love a redemption story. All other criticism aside Shoni has the best deep range shot and maybe the best handle on the team.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/21/17 1:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And she represents NYL in the All-Star game in Seattle, where she'll draw a crowd

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 04/21/17 5:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
And she represents NYL in the All-Star game in Seattle, where she'll draw a crowd

I discussed this earlier in the thread...this is not a good thing IF Shoni is in P12...if she's regular rotation and at least getting mins and producing points I think the popularity contest thing can be let go (its not like she was pandering it) but if shes where she was last year...in P12 and gets in over say Prince when prince is having a great year or demotes Charles to reserve...its silly not to think that that wouldn't cause friction we just don't need when we're aiming for a title

Worse...we're educated fans...we know mostly why and why not a player hits or sits...you got casual and just dumb fans who then will rail on why shoni isn't playing even if she isn't producing when she's on the floor...why create your own distraction

This is why I say she's gotta beat out Boyd and Allen for that #2 which is more like 1A to me PG position behind Prince (or move to 2 and beat good enough to back up Rodgers and keep Prince at the 1.

She has a shot but this is a factor...this was one reason she was run in Atlanta was her getting the undeserved honors...last year we got a pass as no ASG in Olympic years...this year we must take that into consideration. Especially with the possibility of 2 legit all stars coming out of this lineup.

PostPosted: 04/21/17 8:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Megdal's unnamed sources have spotted Shoni working out with the Navy Seals. She's expected to show up on Sunday looking really buff. If she fails to make the Liberty, she will instead join Seal Team 6.

PostPosted: 04/21/17 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liberty can always trade Shoni. Teams like Dallas, Seattle & Phoenix would all see a boost in ticket sales & merchandise.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 04/21/17 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Liberty can always trade Shoni. Teams like Dallas, Seattle & Phoenix would all see a boost in ticket sales & merchandise.

Dream could get the Liberty's second round pick last year (which turned out to be Clarendon). Hard to see her getting anything better than that now.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/21/17 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

I dunno about PHX or DAL, but I've aways thought it was strange that SEA never seemed interested. Their second round pick was worth more (might have to double check that) than NYL's, and yet she ends up landing in New York.
Boucek even has a nutritionist on staff, and they have worked wonders with KML (little sarcasm there).

Shades

PostPosted: 04/21/17 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liberty Name Weatherspoon Director Of Franchise Development

http://www.wnba.com/news/liberty-name-weatherspoon-director-franchise-development/

Quote:
Liberty Team President Isiah Thomas announced today, that former WNBA legend Teresa Weatherspoon has been named Director of Franchise Development. In addition to this new appointment, she will continue to serve as the team’s Director of Player Development, a role she has held since 2015.

Weatherspoon joins former Liberty player Swin Cash as a Director of Franchise Development, providing New York with two of the WNBA’s Top-20 Greatest and Most Influential Players of all-time weighing in on business and basketball operations.

jmvcity

PostPosted: 04/21/17 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do they really need two Directors of Franchise Development? I wonder how Swin feels about this.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 04/21/17 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:
Do they really need two Directors of Franchise Development? I wonder how Swin feels about this.

I am guessing that this is a precursor to another move. Swin gets a higher title? Swin takes a leave from MSG? Swin has found a better job elsewhere? I'll be very surprised if the two of them keep the exact same title for long.

PostPosted: 04/21/17 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
jmvcity wrote:

I am guessing that this is a precursor to another move. Swin gets a higher title? Swin takes a leave from MSG? Swin has found a better job elsewhere? I'll be very surprised if the two of them keep the exact same title for long.

Given that Swin is now pregnant, that probably brings some unexpected limitations. Also, T-Spoon is usually involved whenever they do sales events to bring in new STHs or get old ones to renew. She's a really good pitchwoman because she is so enthusiastic. This may simply be an acknowledgment of her previously unofficial contributions in that area.

PostPosted: 04/21/17 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tina doing good works:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/wnba-star-tina-charles-visits-4-ny-schools-064554325--wnba.html?src=rss

Quote:
The New York Liberty forward was spending Wednesday and Thursday at four local schools helping educate kids about CPR, nutrition and concussions as part of Hopey's Heart week.

- Amanda Gorman
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/22/17 8:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I also think Lindsay Allen is a lock for a spot unless she reslly struggles in camp. A pass-first PG with athleticism is generally a very good backup and can probably acclimate to the pro game quickly. Burdick and Nayo fight it out for the last spot. I like both players. Burdick is an overachiever with some quickness near the basket. She can face up from shorter distances but doesn't have shooting range. Nayo seemed to have some versatility as far as floor game from the admittedly little that I saw. Either might be a hybrid forward but you have to admit if we are talking about a 12th player being a depth player at our position of weakness, it means we need more at that position.

I hope if Allen is indeed hurt it's nothing serious enough to prevent her from being able to play in May. On the plus side with our depth, if you guys remember last year when Wright got hurt, Zellous became our backup PG. At such an important position, I'm glad they shored that up with ample depth and players with a variety of skill sets. They've done an outstanding job in that area this year.

PostPosted: 04/22/17 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regarding Bec, MSG usually provides some sound early in camp so it's likely we will get some info by Monday or Tuesday.

PostPosted: 04/22/17 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just saw this on the Liberty's Facebook page: New York has signed center Renee Bennett of Ball State to a training camp contract.

PostPosted: 04/22/17 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Just saw this on the Liberty's Facebook page: New York has signed center Renee Bennett of Ball State to a training camp contract.

Honestly, I never heard of her but it looks like she's another 6-5 center. This one at least put up some numbers -- 17.5 ppg, 8.1 rpg, just under 1 bpg -- albeit against mid-major competition.

PostPosted: 04/22/17 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually, I take that back. I watched a bunch of Ball State games last year while following Natalie Fontaine. I do remember a 6-5 center who had some decent offensive skills. I just didn't remember her name was Renee Bennett.

PostPosted: 04/22/17 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just another big to battle in training camp.

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/22/17 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, I count 21 players. Assuming that Stokes, Zellous, Prince, Zahui, and Vaughn are overseas, that leaves 16 -- one over the limit. I wonder who isn't officially in camp. Will Tina be lurking around as an observer? Did someone change their mind or get cut already?

PostPosted: 04/22/17 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
So, I count 21 players. Assuming that Stokes, Zellous, Prince, Zahui, and Vaughn are overseas, that leaves 16 -- one over the limit. I wonder who isn't officially in camp. Will Tina be lurking around as an observer? Did someone change their mind or get cut already?

Please forgive my ignorance and enlighten me. Am I understanding correctly that a team can only have a maximum of 15 players at training camp? Does that mean that if one of the five who are overseas comes back on Day X that someone has to go? Many thanks.

PostPosted: 04/22/17 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Please forgive my ignorance and enlighten me. Am I understanding correctly that a team can only have a maximum of 15 players at training camp? Does that mean that if one of the five who are overseas comes back on Day X that someone has to go? Many thanks.

That's correct. The day a player arrives into camp, someone needs to be cut.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/22/17 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How does an injured player fit into the limit of 15? If Allen is not ready to go just yet.

PostPosted: 04/22/17 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I also think Lindsay Allen is a lock for a spot unless she reslly struggles in camp. A pass-first PG with athleticism is generally a very good backup and can probably acclimate to the pro game quickly. Burdick and Nayo fight it out for the last spot. I like both players. Burdick is an overachiever with some quickness near the basket. She can face up from shorter distances but doesn't have shooting range. Nayo seemed to have some versatility as far as floor game from the admittedly little that I saw. Either might be a hybrid forward but you have to admit if we are talking about a 12th player being a depth player at our position of weakness, it means we need more at that position.

I hope if Allen is indeed hurt it's nothing serious enough to prevent her from being able to play in May. On the plus side with our depth, if you guys remember last year when Wright got hurt, Zellous became our backup PG. At such an important position, I'm glad they shored that up with ample depth and players with a variety of skill sets. They've done an outstanding job in that area this year.

Oh I forgot Barbee. I wonder if she'll be a factor.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 34 of 80

Jump to: