RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The latest pic of Shoni (suprising!)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDHoops

PostPosted: 04/20/17 10:34 pm    ::: The latest pic of Shoni (suprising!) Reply Reply with quote

From the past few weeks...she's kept a low profile. As always, angles can be deceiving, but I must say from her cheeks and lack of a gut in this pic, she looks good! Deserves it's own thread? Wink

AAOK423

PostPosted: 04/21/17 1:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw this too. I mean, it doesn't look like she is down to her rookie weight but it does look like an improvement from last season. Ive learned not to get my hopes up with Shoni tho.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 04/21/17 5:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAOK423 wrote:
I saw this too. I mean, it doesn't look like she is down to her rookie weight but it does look like an improvement from last season. Ive learned not to get my hopes up with Shoni tho.

She has her chance to earn it...we know what she's capable of from her rookie year...if she beats out Boyd and earns rotation minutes...she's welcome....but she has to earn a role and fill that role every game just like anyone else on this ballclub

PostPosted: 04/21/17 6:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I remember seeing her in the Dream training camp as a rookie, and she really looked quite good at the time and she is not quite there, but certainly better than last year.. Fitness and weight are only part of the question. Also important is whether she has been working on her game over the off-season. She probably should have been playing in puck up games against men and working on her defense. I'd still like to see her succeed (if only because that might mean Boyd would become available), but I'm with AAOK423.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 04/21/17 6:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I remember seeing her in the Dream training camp as a rookie, and she really looked quite good at the time and she is not quite there, but certainly better than last year.. Fitness and weight are only part of the question. Also important is whether she has been working on her game over the off-season. She probably should have been playing in puck up games against men and working on her defense. I'd still like to see her succeed (if only because that might mean Boyd would become available), but I'm with AAOK423.

THIS I think what Set Bill off at the Holiday Party and sets off most alarm bells is she didn't play overseas...couple this with JUDE playing overseas in Spain (Nice college player but no W prospect IMHO) just makes you go wtf...and yes she needs to hone her game especially on D...her coming out as ASGMVP Shoni only makes her a bad fit (tho one I'd keep if only to build trade value) she needs to evolve from that performance to truly stick and be a part of this very defensive, fundamental based system...this was reflected in the time she DID play. She was Shoni on offense but on D she looked completely out of place...but the fitness was the more pressing issue...I wish her luck...will give her the fairest of shakes during preseason but she has quite the hill to climb

PostPosted: 04/21/17 7:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What's the problem with taking a season off from competing? Personally I still believe that's the best way to work on your game. Much easier to do it than if you're playing and training with a team. The only down side is the lack of income. The upside is it's far easier to look after your body and spend time improving your skills.
I don't know what Shoni actually got up to, but unless someone here does, I don't think it's right to assume that the answer is nothing just because she wasn't with a pro team.

PostPosted: 04/21/17 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
AAOK423 wrote:

She has her chance to earn it...we know what she's capable of from her rookie year...if she beats out Boyd and earns rotation minutes...she's welcome....but she has to earn a role and fill that role every game just like anyone else on this ballclub

Absolutely. No one is handing her anything anymore because her name or reputation. There are too many talented kids coming into the league (especially next year) for her not to be at her best....and if she is not at her best I don't see her sticking on any team for very long.

Randy

PostPosted: 04/22/17 8:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The realm of possibilities for Shoni are huge. She could do anything from getting cut the first day at camp (if she even shows) to making the team and being voted an All Star again and anything in between including being waived or traded. If it weren't for the Plum drama Shoni might just be the "Most Interesting Player in the W" over the coming days. Sadly I'm expecting an unhappy ending to this story.

Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 04/22/17 9:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
What's the problem with taking a season off from competing? Personally I still believe that's the best way to work on your game. Much easier to do it than if you're playing and training with a team. The only down side is the lack of income. The upside is it's far easier to look after your body and spend time improving your skills.
I don't know what Shoni actually got up to, but unless someone here does, I don't think it's right to assume that the answer is nothing just because she wasn't with a pro team.

Based on how she showed up in camp the last 2 years, I don't think it's right to assume she is doing something.

Last edited by Jet Jaguar on 04/22/17 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/22/17 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We'll see. Boyd I think is safe because her defense and speed are so much better than Shoni's, even if she is in shape. Hartley I think is safe because you know she is in outstanding shape and you can count on decent backup numbers from her. And she is gritty on the defensive end even if occasionally overmatched from a size standpoint.

That leaves Shoni and Lindsay Allen as far as Shoni making the NY roster. I don't see it for Shoni in NY but if she's in decent basketball shape she could easily hook on elsewhere. And I'd love to see Shoni succeed here. I love her offensive talent and I was impressed with how disciplined she was offensively last year in a more disciplined NY offensive system. Her basketball IQ is very, very high and her court vision just enhances her high-IQ play. I'd really like to see her make it here but this isn't a team that is going to let you play turnstile-like defense and stay on the floor.

PostPosted: 04/22/17 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shoni's 3 point shooting could save her. That was one thing the Liberty lacked big time last season. She definitely has talent and if she shows up 100%, I see her making the roster over someone like Hartley & Allen. I biggest problem is still at SF. Looks like we'll be stuck with Allen & Zellous at SF with Burdick sliding over when needed.

PG: Prince/Boyd/Hartley or Allen
SG: Rodgers/Schimmel
SF: Allen/Zellous
PF: Charles/Zahui B./Burdick
C: Vaughn/Stokes

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Queenie

PostPosted: 04/22/17 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm just relieved she's resurfaced.

(now with spelling variations)
root_thing

PostPosted: 04/22/17 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The guessing will be over soon. Hopefully, we'll get some training camp video on Monday or maybe even tomorrow late in the day.

PostPosted: 04/22/17 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nothing Rolling Eyes

SDHoops

PostPosted: 04/23/17 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow! She didn't even show up for camp ....I'm over it. I'm gonna find a new player to love

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/23/17 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Wow! She didn't even show up for camp ....I'm over it. I'm gonna find a new player to love

How do you know this?

PostPosted: 04/23/17 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
SDHoops wrote:

How do you know this?

On the Lib's Snapchat of camp..everyone (except the five overseas still) listed on the training camp roster is there but her. They don't even have a water bottle with her name on it. Maybe she went off the radar for a reason...that reason being she's stepping away from pro ball. I wish she would've released a statement or something!

Randy

PostPosted: 04/23/17 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So maybe Shoni, Bone, and Monica Wright are forming a secret team. In all seriousness, sad to see a talent like hers not be playing. I think looking back on it, winning the ASG MVP may have been the worst thing to ever happen to her.

toad455

PostPosted: 04/23/17 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seems like she just doesn't care.

Randy

PostPosted: 04/23/17 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Perhaps we are jumping to a conclusion. There are other explanations, such as a trade, excused absence, illness, etc. Probably find out soon.

AAOK423

PostPosted: 04/23/17 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think being drafted was the beginning of the end for Shoni's basketball career. Maybe every once in a while we will see that she played in a local tournament....maybe in five or ten years there will be a documentary about the rise and fall of Shoni Schimmel....maybe she will coach, who knows BUT even if she does come to camp late for whatever reason, I think she is very close to being done with the WNBA regardless.

toad455

PostPosted: 04/23/17 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Considering she's still on a rookie contract, someone would pick her up just to sell tickets (Dallas? Phoenix?)

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 04/23/17 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Without any genuine information, these kinds of judgments are improper and unfair.

PostPosted: 04/23/17 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Without any genuine information, these kinds of judgments are improper and unfair.

Given that she's not shown up to preseason in shape since college, I'd say it's not too far off. Now she's not showing up to preseason, period!!

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 04/23/17 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
toad455 wrote:

I agree ive been one of the harshest on schimmel but it also seems shes been doing some seriously good work in the NA community both in the DAPL protests and in promoting ball to at risk youth on the reservations...neither I would consider not caring.

That said if shes a noshow that tells me she's not in the team's plans and however she is dealt with I would not expect her to be in a Lib uniform this year

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: