Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 04/19/17 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

I love Gemelos, but ANOTHER GUARD?!?!?! Rolling Eyes

She plays SF too. Not the physical SF that some fans want, but at 6-0 165 lbs Gemelos is the same size as Carson. You have the grinders in Slaughter, Burdick, and NRE. But they can't shoot. So, you also want to look at someone who is an offensive threat.

PostPosted: 04/19/17 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any idea what her overseas numbers were like? I'm especially curious about minutes played.

PostPosted: 04/19/17 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Please no more player who are remotely likable.

I like Schimmel, Alston, Hartley, Allen, Burdick, Raincock-Ekunwe seems cool, Barbee is a hard worker, and now we've added Gemelos who is a likable fighter, and I'm sure Slaughter is great too, that is simply too many players to have to watch get cut. I think NY should partition to expand rosters to at least 15 simply so most everyone gets to stay.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 04/19/17 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

I like Schimmel, Alston, Hartley, Allen, Burdick, Raincock-Ekunwe seems cool, Barbee is a hard worker, and now we've added Gemelos who is a likable fighter, and I'm sure Slaughter is great too, that is simply too many players to have to watch get cut. I think NY should partition to expand rosters to at least 15 simply so most everyone gets to stay.

At the moment, assuming Schimmel is coming to training camp, that would mean 19 players fighting for 12 roster spots. But I figure that 10 are definite: Charles, Rodgers, Prince, Stokes, Rebecca Allen, Vaughn, Zahui B, Zellous, Boyd, and Hartley. If that's correct, then nine players are competing for two jobs. That is daunting math. It's not going to end happily for quite a few of the players you like.

PostPosted: 04/19/17 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Any idea what her overseas numbers were like? I'm especially curious about minutes played.

Here are the numbers:

16 games, 35.4 mpg, 14.3 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 2.3 apg, 38-93 40.9 3Pt%

http://basketball.eurobasket.com/team/Italy/Dike-Napoli/11605?Page=3

Gemelos played the first game of the season and then disappeared for two months (9 games). I haven't been able to find a reason. In the games she did play, the only time she logged less than 30 minutes was the final game of the regular season. I assume they were resting her. She played all 40 minutes 3 times, including last week on April 12th.

PostPosted: 04/19/17 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Part of the double-edged sword that is being a season ticket holder. You get to know these ladies personally and then you're gutted when they get cut or traded.

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/19/17 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Given that Bill puts a premium on players who are good teammates, that mostly eliminates the unlikeable people. If you draw a Venn diagram, the good teammate and unlikeable circles don't overlap very much. Smile

In all seriousness, most of these players know that they are longshots. However, it looks good on your résumé to have been in a WNBA camp when you go searching for overseas gigs. You may also learn some things that actually improve your game.

PostPosted: 04/20/17 12:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, it looks like Bec Allen hasn't played since March 15th? Shocked I found a foreign language article which, when translated, indicates she had some kind of arm injury. No other details.

PostPosted: 04/20/17 1:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Here are the numbers:

16 games, 35.4 mpg, 14.3 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 2.3 apg, 38-93 40.9 3Pt%

http://basketball.eurobasket.com/team/Italy/Dike-Napoli/11605?Page=3

Gemelos played the first game of the season and then disappeared for two months (9 games). I haven't been able to find a reason. In the games she did play, the only time she logged less than 30 minutes was the final game of the regular season. I assume they were resting her. She played all 40 minutes 3 times, including last week on April 12th.

She had some sort of hand injury. Wasn't too serious so it didn't last the whole season.

PostPosted: 04/20/17 4:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

At the moment, assuming Schimmel is coming to training camp, that would mean 19 players fighting for 12 roster spots. But I figure that 10 are definite: Charles, Rodgers, Prince, Stokes, Rebecca Allen, Vaughn, Zahui B, Zellous, Boyd, and Hartley. If that's correct, then nine players are competing for two jobs. That is daunting math. It's not going to end happily for quite a few of the players you like.

I agree with your 10 locks.

I would go a step further and say 1 of Burdick or Raincock-Ekunwe will get the 11th spot, with the very outside chance that Slaughter could get the spot over either of the others.

So it is two players competing for one spot, and then the remaining 8 players competing for the other spot. Why I say the remaining 8 is because it is possible that the team takes two forwards for the last two spot if one or both can do some minutes at the SF spot. Even if logic dictates that the last spot goes to guard/wing.

11 spot Burdick or Raicock-Ekunwe (Slaughter or James)

12 spot L. Allen, Barbee, Schimmel, Alston, Gemelos, (remaining player between Burdick, Raincock-Ekunwe and Slaughter not chosen at 11 if we decide go bigger on the wing).

I may have subconsciously listed players in descending order of possibility if I was giving out odds of making the cut.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 04/20/17 4:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Hey I grew to love Talbert...last year at Columbia I tried and somewhat succeeded in getting her a standing ovation when she entered and left the game because we knew that her time as a lib was done...but it was an important 2.5 seasons.

I was one of those who was glad a few years back that Bill gave Loree Moore a training camp invite...I was also the first to bring up that she was done and had to go.

I once had an STJ Booster rip the libs for cutting Shanekia Smith...my reply was afraid to shoot last cut and should have been

Treat the players as friends but the team as a business...that normally helps...cant get too attatched end of the day 12 players with the biggest chance to help this team win games stay and the rest get chances elsewhere. This is what you trust the coach and GM to do...There are exceptions (I think what you described is one of the bigger reasons the huddled masses did not accept Pondexter pretty much from day 1)

As for Schimmel I'm sure she'd be someone I'd love to have a beer with but her lack of conditioning and passion for the game just makes me count the days until shes gone...what a waste of talent...she'd have to come in looking like her sr year at Louisville for me to trust her...the Harold Miner of the WNBA

PostPosted: 04/20/17 4:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

I would go a step further and say 1 of Burdick or Raincock-Ekunwe will get the 11th spot, with the very outside chance that Slaughter could get the spot over either of the others.

So it is two players competing for one spot, and then the remaining 8 players competing for the other spot. Why I say the remaining 8 is because it is possible that the team takes two forwards for the last two spot if one or both can do some minutes at the SF spot. Even if logic dictates that the last spot goes to guard/wing.

12 spot L. Allen, Barbee, Schimmel, Alston, Gemelos, (remaining player between Burdick, Raincock-Ekunwe and Slaughter not chosen at 11 if we decide go bigger on the wing).

I may have subconsciously listed players in descending order of possibility if I was giving out odds of making the cut.

To make it more clear...Because Vaughn will miss time for EuroBasket I'd lock in either Burdick or Raincock for at least the first half of the season (Bill is NOT above cutting a TC keeping them nearby and then bringing them back midseason especially when its a posistional issue.

L. Allen I think is a lock and have her at 11....she'd have to be Orrange lost for them not to use her as they seem to want a pure 1 somewhere on the roster (Last year it was harding and as they found out the hard way...not an attitude you want on a team like this and she was disposed of pretty quickly after 2 starts where she was horrid)

That's how it stands now...I am not ruling out the mid camp trade or scrap heap picking however.

PostPosted: 04/20/17 5:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

To make it more clear...Because Vaughn will miss time for EuroBasket I'd lock in either Burdick or Raincock for at least the first half of the season (Bill is NOT above cutting a TC keeping them nearby and then bringing them back midseason especially when its a posistional issue.

L. Allen I think is a lock and have her at 11....she'd have to be Orrange lost for them not to use her as they seem to want a pure 1 somewhere on the roster (Last year it was harding and as they found out the hard way...not an attitude you want on a team like this and she was disposed of pretty quickly after 2 starts where she was horrid)

That's how it stands now...I am not ruling out the mid camp trade or scrap heap picking however.

So if you're L. Allen theory is correct we're looking at,

Prince/Boyd/Allen
Rodgers/Hartley
Allen/Zellous
Charles/Zahui B/Burdick or Raincock-Ekunwe
Stokes/Vaughn

with everyone else on the outside looking in. This seems very likely to be the final roster, but I still think going a little bigger is possible with both Burdick and Raicock-Ekunwe making the final squad, or that Alston, Barbee or Schimmel could beat out L. Allen if Hartley is proving capable of being that 3rd PG. With that said I remember some comments posted here from the coach stating that they really wanted to improve the PG situation and the drafting of L. Allen seems to fit with that plan.

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/20/17 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

So if you're L. Allen theory is correct we're looking at,

Prince/Boyd/Allen
Rodgers/Hartley
Allen/Zellous
Charles/Zahui B/Burdick or Raincock-Ekunwe
Stokes/Vaughn

Right now, I'd give this alignment the best odds. I think Burdick has the edge on Raincock-Ekunwe. NY may need someone to serve as a big SF, and Burdick has actually played the 3. I've never seen either Nayo or Slaughter play SF, although they seem to have the quickness to defend there. Nonetheless, that's just theory and then there's the question of how they'd fare on offense. While Burdick isn't a great shooter, she looks better than the other two. Cierra may also have some ability to create off the bounce since she was on the Gold Medal winning 3x3 team. 3x3 looks like it's mostly one-on-one basketball. And for what it's worth, Cierra should adjust to life in NYC more easily since she spent some time here as an intern for Robin Roberts on Good Morning America.

PostPosted: 04/20/17 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

Given that Bill puts a premium on players who are good teammates, that mostly eliminates the unlikeable people. If you draw a Venn diagram, the good teammate and unlikeable circles don't overlap very much. Smile

Funny, but I always thought unlikeability was an attribute the Liberty were looking for.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/20/17 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laimbeer on drafting Allen.

It sounds like she was their target in the draft, which suggests she will be on the roster.

https://twitter.com/nyliberty/status/852710581329158144

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/20/17 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Funny, but I always thought unlikeability was an attribute the Liberty were looking for.

The Bad Girls are more of a Detroit Shock concept than a NY Liberty thing, although people associate it with Bill. Also, "unlikeable" is often based on POV. Hardnosed play can make you unlikeable to opponents and their fans while endearing you to your teammates and your own fans. And then there are individuals who have one personality on the court while being very different off the court. I've heard that Plenette Pierson is like that.

PostPosted: 04/20/17 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have to admit the moment we signed Burdick I was excited and thought she would make the team. Her style fits with the team, she plays a relentless, physical game, she can play the 4 or the 3, and she seems to be one of those player who keeps working on her game so she can stick in the league (Atl probably should of kept her over Gray last season). Those are the kind of attributes that will work well on the Liberty bench.

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/20/17 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
root_thing wrote:

She had some sort of hand injury. Wasn't too serious so it didn't last the whole season.

Thanks. Injuries overseas always seem to be a mystery.

PostPosted: 04/20/17 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can anyone shed light on Rebecca Allen's status?

PostPosted: 04/20/17 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Can anyone shed light on Rebecca Allen's status?

She will be here for the start of Training Camp

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/20/17 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No tweets from Allen about her arm injury, and no one consoling her. There was no activity on her account for over a month. I'm hoping no news is good news. Good Angels ended their season yesterday, so Allen has no obligations left. Sunday is only three days away...

PostPosted: 04/20/17 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Bad news, Spooner. My discussion in the Surprise Uninvited thread may have gotten the Libs another likeable player on the roster. Chinwe Okorie from MSU. I could see Laimbeer liking her. I'd definitely rate her above Kai James.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/20/17 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Bad news, Spooner. My discussion in the Surprise Uninvited thread may have gotten the Libs another likeable player on the roster. Chinwe Okorie from MSU. I could see Laimbeer liking her. I'd definitely rate her above Kai James.

I'm not that familiar with her but based on a description Root gave I do not see her, or James for that matter challenging for a spot. Our four current posts Stokes, Vaughn, Charles and Zahui B can all play both the Center or Forward spot so we're covered for true bigs. We do need a player who can play the 3 and the 4 which is why one of Burdick or Raincock-Ekunwe looks like a sure thing.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/20/17 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
No tweets from Allen about her arm injury, and no one consoling her. There was no activity on her account for over a month. I'm hoping no news is good news. Good Angels ended their season yesterday, so Allen has no obligations left. Sunday is only three days away...

Maybe her Twitter finger is busted. Wink

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 33 of 80

Jump to: