RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

First 1st Rounder To Be Cut
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/18/17 4:29 pm    ::: First 1st Rounder To Be Cut Reply Reply with quote

Whether it's this season which seems very likely pr next season which player taken in the 1st round do you guys envision being cut 1st? Ill start by going with. T. Jankowska

PostPosted: 04/19/17 4:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would have to agree, followed by Wiese.

It looks like #12 in 2016, Adut Bulgak, was cut by the Liberty at some point during the season. I don't know if Courtney Williams made it for the entire season with the Connecticut Sun, or was cut at some point. I believe the other 10 made it through the entire year.

zvyn3

PostPosted: 04/19/17 4:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jankoska or Wiese. I don't think either of them is capable of playing in the WNBA and they will only make the team because they were first rounders. It wouldn't surprise me to see them cut before the end of the season.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/19/17 8:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Id hate to agree on weise but i dont think she will last more than 1 season . Shes more in that syd spencer boat . Thought Courtney was traded to Conn ??

PostPosted: 04/19/17 8:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Id hate to agree on weise but i dont think she will last more than 1 season . Shes more in that syd spencer boat . Thought Courtney Williams was traded to Conn ??

PostPosted: 04/19/17 8:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing ...@ Sydney Wiese.. Laughing

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/19/17 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The thing is, it's usually not primarily about how good the player is. It's about a) how high the player went (because it's increasingly embarrassing to cut someone, depending on how high you took them), and b) how much of a roster crunch the specific team has. So Dallas's top three rookies are probably fine because they only have six current players who look uncuttable. LA only have (in my opinion) eight established, so Wiese should at least make the opening day roster unless she really stinks it up in camp.

Jankoska's definitely a possible cut, because #9 is just about low enough and it's already crowded in Chicago. Given Whalen, Augustus, Moore, Montgomery, Perkins and Shao Ting coming an awfully long way (and the Lynx only being able to carry 11 players), I also wouldn't be surprised if Alexis Jones struggles to make it through camp in Minnesota.

PostPosted: 04/19/17 8:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Jankoska and Wiese are both near that bubble.

It's Amber Stocks' first year as head coach and GM, so she hasn't built up a predisposition against rookies like Agler. She obviously liked Jankoska a lot more than other highly vaunted prospects (she could have had KDavis), so it's conceivable that she'll want to give Jankoska a chance. I doubt Jankoska won't give it everything she's got so I'm leaning on her suriving.

The #11 pick, on the other hand, is almost like second round pick. Pretty painless cut for Alger (whatever happened to #5 pick Bradford?)
Look at the depth of the Sparks at G:
CGray, Sims, RWilliams... and then as invites you have Weisner and Hopkins, who had a Westbrooke-like off-season. Hopkins isn't very rookie-like at this point even though she's paid like one.
And the Sparks' bigger guards are Beard and Carson. She appears to be off the roster now, but the Sparks also own the rights to Dabovic. That guard lineup is a tough egg to crack... even the biggest Wiese fanatic would have to admit.

When you look at all the vets on the Sparks, they might even have to go with 11 on the roster.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
zvyn3

PostPosted: 04/19/17 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bradford was a #7 pick and lasted a season.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/19/17 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:

Drafted in the 1st round (7th overall) by the Los Angeles Sparks in the 2015 WNBA Draft . Last i saw her she was in the stands at sparks games planning her return which never unfolded Sad Played in 1 game vs NY got about 9 mins and never played again Crying or Very sad i had high hopes for her

PostPosted: 04/19/17 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Whoever the Sparks picked" is generally a good bet when choosing who will get cut first, except when they have the #1 pick of course.

PostPosted: 04/19/17 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whether it's #5 or #7, the point remains the same. Alger doesn't have much of a conscience or commitment when it comes to rookies.

Remember when Agler cut 6'3 defensive-minded Whitney Knight last season? He was like gimme your numba. I think we can make this work down the line. He forgot all about her, just like Bradford. Didn't give her a call back or an invite when he had plenty of opportunity to do so. When it comes to rookies, Alger is like a dirty dawg playa. Razz

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 04/19/17 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think with Wiese it really depends if Sims is going to be the back-up PG for the Sparks or if her & Williams are just back-up SGs. Neither one can play SF(too small), but I think Wiese is clearly the better, natural PG between Sims, herself & Williams.

Jankoska's chances really fall on if Quigley comes back to her 2015 form & whether Stokes keeps Jankoska or Laney as the extra guard/wing.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/19/17 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I think with Wiese it really depends if Sims is going to be the back-up PG for the Sparks or if her & Williams are just back-up SGs. Neither one can play SF(too small), but I think Wiese is clearly the better, natural PG between Sims, herself & Williams.

Jankoska's chances really fall on if Quigley comes back to her 2015 form & whether Stokes keeps Jankoska or Laney as the extra guard/wing.

I think sims will be a starter sometime this year most likely permanently once she wins the spot from either Carson Or Beard. Most likely Carson , Sims fits due to her defensive pedigree on ball to be specific.

PostPosted: 04/19/17 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sims starting at SF over Carson? Doubtful.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/19/17 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's remarkable that Odyssey Sims has managed to retain her 'really good defender' reputation from college after three years and nearly 100 WNBA games of being distinctly poor at that end of the floor. Agler might turn her around (Fred Williams clearly wouldn't know good defense if it walked up to him and punched him in the face), but we have absolutely zero evidence at pro level that Sims is a good defender.

PostPosted: 04/19/17 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Sims starting at SF over Carson? Doubtful.

Could Be a line up of
Gray
Sims
Carson
Nneka
Parker

Or
Sims
Beard
Carson
Nneka
Parker

ORRR

Gray
Sims
Beard
Nneka
Parker

Im sure we will see this combo starting sometime during this season.

PostPosted: 04/19/17 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
It's remarkable that Odyssey Sims has managed to retain her 'really good defender' reputation from college after three years and nearly 100 WNBA games of being distinctly poor at that end of the floor. Agler might turn her around (Fred Williams clearly wouldn't know good defense if it walked up to him and punched him in the face), but we have absolutely zero evidence at pro level that Sims is a good defender.

her team defense is VERY poor , but individual on ball shes not as bad as majority in the W. She can pressure the ball full court when shes focused

PostPosted: 04/19/17 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

before the draft I said pick 9-12 would struggle to make a roster this year.

#9 Jankoska might now get a chance because N'dour is not showing up, and Coates won't be able to play until at least later in the season. ATM IMO two of Jankoska, Laney, Epps or Harris will make the roster at the start of the season. Being a 1st round pick gives Tori a decent shot to be one of those two.

#10 K. Davis will make the opening day starting roster in Dallas and will probably last. 6' 2" guards don't grow on trees, I don't see Dallas giving up on her potential in year one.

#11 Weise her shot and the versatility to play 3 positions, combined with Agler doing a little gamesmanship pre-draft questioning if she can defend at the W level leads me to believe she has a decent shot but if someone in the first round doesn't make it I think it will be Weise, based more on going to a loaded team that might not be able to carry 12 players, more than talent or other reasons.

#12 A. Jones if she stays healthy could be the steal of the draft. Minny needs to develop a young guard, and needs some rookie contracts. The fact that they drafted Jones instead of going straight off for Osahor leads me to believe she will last with the Lynx.

So for now I think the first round is safe, only #11 IMO is even close to the chopping block, unless Epps kills it in Camp and Jankoska stinks it up, or Coates is kept active on the roster and the Sky want to take a longer look at Harris.

zvyn3

PostPosted: 04/19/17 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:

Drafted in the 1st round (7th overall) by the Los Angeles Sparks in the 2015 WNBA Draft . Last i saw her she was in the stands at sparks games planning her return which never unfolded Sad Played in 1 game vs NY got about 9 mins and never played again Crying or Very sad i had high hopes for her

She played in 15 games.

toad455

PostPosted: 04/19/17 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whatever happened to Bradford anyway? Did she play overseas at all?

blaase22

PostPosted: 04/19/17 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:
Jankoska or Wiese. I don't think either of them is capable of playing in the WNBA and they will only make the team because they were first rounders. It wouldn't surprise me to see them cut before the end of the season.

They won't be able to guard anyone in the W.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 04/19/17 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dont forget the Sparks just lost their best shooter in Toliver. So i think it all depends on how players like Gray Sims, Williams, Carson etc. Are shooting.
They need players that space the floor for Parker and Nneka

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
awhom111

PostPosted: 04/19/17 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Whatever happened to Bradford anyway? Did she play overseas at all?

Puerto Rico and Israel briefly this season. She also played in the 3x3 Tournament that was dominated by the Pac 12 teams.
Mirage

PostPosted: 04/19/17 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My Google search found Crystal Bradford playing in Israel.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: