RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Top 5 Hot Seats

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
basketballologist

PostPosted: 03/30/17 6:14 pm    ::: Top 5 Hot Seats Reply Reply with quote

1. C. Vivian Stringer
2. Sylvia Hatchell
3. Nikki Fargas
4. Holly Warlick
5. Coquese Washington

StevenHW

PostPosted: 03/30/17 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If they were really "hot seats", I would think some of those coaches would've left by now, and not wait until after the Championship Game was over. Rolling Eyes

Of those five listed, I predict Hatchell will be the first to leave. She is 65 years old, and went through two straight losing seasons with no postseason appearances.

PostPosted: 03/31/17 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
If they were really "hot seats", I would think some of those coaches would've left by now, and not wait until after the Championship Game was over. Rolling Eyes

Of those five listed, I predict Hatchell will be the first to leave. She is 65 years old, and went through two straight losing seasons with no postseason appearances.

Sylvia just got an extension on her contract...She isn't going anywhere ...Once the NCAA hands down their punishments then all bets are off especially if UNC makes the WBB program the scapegoat(which is highly likely)

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/31/17 12:02 pm    ::: Re: Top 5 Hot Seats Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
1. C. Vivian Stringer
2. Sylvia Hatchell
3. Nikki Fargas
4. Holly Warlick
5. Coquese Washington

In reality, I doubt any of these coaches are going to leave real soon. Sylvia and C.Viv will go by attrition, Nikki will be allowed to run out her contract at the very least, and Coquese's team is getting a little better, although she could conceivably be fired when her contract nears completion. As for Holly, she's a different case entirely. She's got a stellar freshman class coming in, she's got a new AD who has a prior history with UT, and she's a legacy coach following a legend who's had a decent record up to this year when she played with a depleted team. Those factors add up to a "wait and see" attitude. She also had a big extension with a large buyout, IIRC.

Focus on some others, please, instead of singing the same old tired song. That one's been around entirely too long.

PostPosted: 04/02/17 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't know their contract situations but I'd think Ole Miss, Virginia, Boston College, Clemson.

I don't see how LSU would be on the hot seat, they have like 5 NCAA tourney appearances in the last 6 years, two Sweet 16s. In women's basketball there just isn't much precedent for firing a coach like that. Now if she never got an extension and her contract is up next year then sure. But otherwise would they pay her big money to leave a couple years early?

Rutgers and UNC are unique situations. HOF coaches, can they be fired by their current AD's, or will they just try to push retirement on them? I mean they should both think about it at least, neither program is in position to be a threat to make the NCAA tournament or advance to the second weekend.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/02/17 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There was a story going around RU that Hobbs was working on an extension with CVS, but nothing's happened since.

RU has Tyler Scaife scheduled to come back next year and some supposedly good transfers who will be eligible next year. Scaife is the real deal, but she'll need some help for the team to be good enough to make the tourney. I don't know if there's enough help on the roster or not.

Truth be told, Hobbs is much more worried about football and MBB than WBB, so I'm not sure there's that much pressure on CVS to step aside.

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/02/17 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
There was a story going around RU that Hobbs was working on an extension with CVS, but nothing's happened since.

RU has Tyler Scaife scheduled to come back next year and some supposedly good transfers who will be eligible next year. Scaife is the real deal, but she'll need some help for the team to be good enough to make the tourney. I don't know if there's enough help on the roster or not.

Truth be told, Hobbs is much more worried about football and MBB than WBB, so I'm not sure there's that much pressure on CVS to step aside.

Scaife is the only high caliber recruit left in the program, you can tell CVS' recruiting has dropped off, probably hampered by the fact that she lost all of her assistants a couple of years ago. Next year is probably their best chance to make the tournament. Scaife back, a bunch of transfers eligible, a down Big Ten but after Scaife leaves the cupboard looks very bare.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/03/17 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe Tyler Scaife is going into the WNBA draft, leaving Rutgers with ...?

CVS had some great moments in her career, but the game has passed her by.

PostPosted: 04/03/17 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fargas has a good class coming in and I believe Moncrief returns.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/03/17 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

I think not. The last I read, she is planning on coming back for her senior year with that bunch of transfers etc. calling themselves "Los Rojos".

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/03/17 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is CVS still the most unworthy overpaid coach in NCAA college basketball?

PostPosted: 04/03/17 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stringer and Hatchell have disappeared from the national radar almost as fast as Jimmy Hoffa. But that doesn't mean they are on hot seats. Their career bodies of work, and age, will likely keep them there as long as they want.

Fargas hasn't been all that, or all that was expected, at LSU, but she hasn't done poorly enough to lose her job.

Haven't thought much about Penn State. Do they still have overrated three-point shooters?

Holly Warlick isn't going anywhere except in the minds of those with Holly Derangement Syndrome, Diamond Derangement Syndrome and/or Mercedes Derangement Syndrome.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/03/17 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stringer is done, but the Rutgers football and men's basketball programs are so bad I can't imagine that buying her out will be a priority.

sigur3

PostPosted: 04/03/17 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I think not. The last I read, she is planning on coming back for her senior year with that bunch of transfers etc. calling themselves "Los Rojos".

Where did you see this?

edit: nvm, found it

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/03/17 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A bunch of transfers from RU were announced today. I don't know that they affect Stringer's status, since it doesn't look like any of them were going to get a lot of PT.

RP

PostPosted: 04/03/17 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UNC should make a move. No reason its women's program cannot match its men's with the right person in charge.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/03/17 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RP wrote:
UNC should make a move. No reason its women's program cannot match its men's with the right person in charge.

Is that
Position attractive with pending NCAaa sanctions speeding toward
The program at glacial pace?

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/03/17 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
RP wrote:

Is that
Position attractive with pending NCAaa sanctions speeding toward
The program at glacial pace?

I think it would be attractive enough if everybody knew what the sanctions were going to be and when they would be done. (And, frankly, you could keep Hatchell until they were played out, unless she ended up being sanctioned herself.) The uncertainty makes it more of a problem.

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/04/17 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hatchell has 990 wins ... only 10 more for a milestone ... so close

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/15/17 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the clock is running on Matt Insell. Vic is getting it done with a lot of Mississippi kids. Young Insell is not dialed in to this talent.

The next B1G Coach to go won't be CViv (unless she
Elects to go), my money is on Stollngs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: