RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Grading the 2017 draft

View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/14/17 5:46 pm    ::: Grading the 2017 draft Reply Reply with quote

Draft Grades time:
San Antonio A: Plum, Coffee, Nunn. They pretty much did as expected. Their post situation looks weak, but really there wasn’t a lot they could do about it. Nunn in the third round is pretty much just adding someone that will be easy to cut and I thought Prince or Montgomery would be more legitimate choices.

Chicago B+: Coates, Jankoska, Osahor, Epps. Coates was a bit of a head scratcher in terms of what they need. Like Lobo, I kept expecting to hear a trade announced. But in terms of BA, maybe. If she turns out to be any good after the ankle heals then maybe they will have some trade choices for next year. Osahor’s chances of making this roster are fairly remote, but hey, with Coates and Ndour out, maybe. Lots of maybes here. I like both the Jankoska and Epps picks, especially considering where they came, though I personally would have taken Cooper, McCall, or even K.Davis at #8 just in terms of helping them with size (and giving T.Young a little competition)

Dallas C: Akhator, Gray, Davis, Lewis, Chong. Akhator at #3 was such a waste! She’s a good kid and a very good college player with the same skill set as Nina Davis. Why not use that pick on Coffey or B. Jones and pick up Nina in round #3? Gray is one of my favs and an obvious choice here. I thought it likely she would be gone by #3. Davis is a mystery in terms of which Davis will show up. I was a bit surprised they didn’t take A. Jones here. I think Lewis was a reasonable late 2nd round pick. Chong was a throw away and kind of too bad since CT would probably have taken her at 28 and she would at least get some fanfare there before being cut.

Washington B-: SWK, Simms, Kraker. I love SWK but she is a Hill repeat. I guess Simms will compete with Malott, Kraker, and Taylor for the last spot on the team. But he didn’t address their need for a rim protector. If he didn’t like B. Jones in round one, then why not at least give Lewis or Montgomery a ride in round two? Montgomery was still there for him round three! Does he really think Kraker has any kind of chance on this team?

Atlanta C-: Sykes, Reynolds, Chidom. Sykes is ok maybe but really kind of a Hayes like player. I thought they really needed to either bolster their PG or PF situation. Cooper or McCall for the latter; Romero or Peterson for the PG. Reynolds and Chidom are quick camp fodder.

Connecticut A: B.Jones, Cooper, Romero, January. Hard to fault any of these picks. They went pretty much with BA straight across the board. In a way, I was sorry to see Cooper go here because I think she has much less chance of making this team than many others.

Los Angeles B: Wiese, Grant-Allen. Considering their position in the draft and that they already have a full roster, hard to fault these choices but had to get excited about them either.

Minnesota B: A. Jones, Berkani, Tupaea. Kind of ditto LA. I think a healthy A. Jones would have gone much higher, so if they can wait for her to really get healthy, they got a jewel. The deferrals are probably just as well for this team.

New York: C: Allen, James. I really don’t see either of these players helping the team in any way. I like Allen, but not on this roster. James is an easy cut, but I’m sure it’s exciting for her to be drafted anyway.

Seattle A: Peterson, Montgomery For where they drafted they at least picked players with the potential to help them in areas of need.

Indiana A-: McCall, Fitzgerald, Williams, Motley. It’s a great fit for McCall. Fitzgerald who knows, but I thought again this is a team in need of a true big so why not try one instead of Williams who is another very undersized post who likes to throw the ball up as much as possible.

Phoenix A+: Prince. How can you possibly do better for a third rounder?

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/15/17 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so nobody else wants to give this a shot? Shocked

- Amanda Gorman
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 04/15/17 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
so nobody else wants to give this a shot? Shocked

Not me. Yours is totally spot on. Good job

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/15/17 12:50 pm    ::: Re: Grading the 2017 draft Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Draft Grades time:
San Antonio A: Plum, Coffee, Nunn. They pretty much did as expected. Their post situation looks weak, but really there wasn’t a lot they could do about it. Nunn in the third round is pretty much just adding someone that will be easy to cut and I thought Prince or Montgomery would be more legitimate choices.

Grade: A-. I give them the 'minus' for the Nunn pick. I do not understand passing on A.Prince.

Chicago B+: Coates, Jankoska, Osahor, Epps. Coates was a bit of a head scratcher in terms of what they need. Like Lobo, I kept expecting to hear a trade announced. But in terms of BA, maybe. If she turns out to be any good after the ankle heals then maybe they will have some trade choices for next year. Osahor’s chances of making this roster are fairly remote, but hey, with Coates and Ndour out, maybe. Lots of maybes here. I like both the Jankoska and Epps picks, especially considering where they came, though I personally would have taken Cooper, McCall, or even K.Davis at #8 just in terms of helping them with size (and giving T.Young a little competition)

Grade: B- I'm not sold on Jankoska as a sharp shooter in the W. My #1 pick for them was A. Gray, who's immediately ready to help on the wing, the area of greatest need. I doubt they'll get what Coates might be worth until she comes back from injury.

Dallas C: Akhator, Gray, Davis, Lewis, Chong. Akhator at #3 was such a waste! She’s a good kid and a very good college player with the same skill set as Nina Davis. Why not use that pick on Coffey or B. Jones and pick up Nina in round #3? Gray is one of my favs and an obvious choice here. I thought it likely she would be gone by #3. Davis is a mystery in terms of which Davis will show up. I was a bit surprised they didn’t take A. Jones here. I think Lewis was a reasonable late 2nd round pick. Chong was a throw away and kind of too bad since CT would probably have taken her at 28 and she would at least get some fanfare there before being cut.

Grade: B I guess I see more in B.Jones than others do. But Akhator was the reason Kentucky had a better season than most thought they would after losing a bunch of players. A. Gray alone gets them the B grade. Her ability to rebound and defend post players as a guard is the #2 reason S. Carolina ran through the end of the season.

Washington B-: SWK, Simms, Kraker. I love SWK but she is a Hill repeat. I guess Simms will compete with Malott, Kraker, and Taylor for the last spot on the team. But he didn’t address their need for a rim protector. If he didn’t like B. Jones in round one, then why not at least give Lewis or Montgomery a ride in round two? Montgomery was still there for him round three! Does he really think Kraker has any kind of chance on this team?

Grade: B+ Shatori Walker-Kimbrough is EXACTLY the player DC needed due to extreme shortage of guards on this squad. Ivory Latta is close to done and there was NOBODY to back up Hill. Plus, there is the possibility she can earn the starting SF job and provide more offense than TRP. But she'll have to improve her rebounding and assists. I would have selected A. Prince or N.Davis in 2nd or 3rd round.

Atlanta C-: Sykes, Reynolds, Chidom. Sykes is ok maybe but really kind of a Hayes like player. I thought they really needed to either bolster their PG or PF situation. Cooper or McCall for the latter; Romero or Peterson for the PG. Reynolds and Chidom are quick camp fodder.

Grade: D With all the wings in the draft, they select Sykes? Reynolds and Chidom have zero chance of making the roster.

Connecticut A: B.Jones, Cooper, Romero, January. Hard to fault any of these picks. They went pretty much with BA straight across the board. In a way, I was sorry to see Cooper go here because I think she has much less chance of making this team than many others.

Grade: A- BJones was a steal. I expect her to start alongside J.Jones. Cooper is a solid back up to A.Thomas at SF.

Los Angeles B: Wiese, Grant-Allen. Considering their position in the draft and that they already have a full roster, hard to fault these choices but had to get excited about them either.

Grade: B+ They got lucky Wiese was available. They like tall guards in LA.

Minnesota B: A. Jones, Berkani, Tupaea. Kind of ditto LA. I think a healthy A. Jones would have gone much higher, so if they can wait for her to really get healthy, they got a jewel. The deferrals are probably just as well for this team.

Grade: B+ Again, lucky a guard the caliber of A.Jones was available. If her knees are completely fixable, she'll be a star.

New York: C: Allen, James. I really don’t see either of these players helping the team in any way. I like Allen, but not on this roster. James is an easy cut, but I’m sure it’s exciting for her to be drafted anyway.

Grade: B- I think Lindsey Allen will be the steady ball handler they need. I imagine not selecting Nina Davis was due to the failure of Toni to convert to SF.

Seattle A: Peterson, Montgomery For where they drafted they at least picked players with the potential to help them in areas of need.

Grade: A Another team lucky that the right player fell. Peterson will be a decent PG in this league. There was no post available, which is their biggest need, besides a back up for Birdie.

Indiana A-: McCall, Fitzgerald, Williams, Motley. It’s a great fit for McCall. Fitzgerald who knows, but I thought again this is a team in need of a true big so why not try one instead of Williams who is another very undersized post who likes to throw the ball up as much as possible.

Grade: B+ Not sold on McCall, but was good with who else was available. Motley is a scorer and this team will need points.

Phoenix A+: Prince. How can you possibly do better for a third rounder?

Grade: A Prince in the third round was the biggest steal. She could easily stick.

~rAf
root_thing

PostPosted: 04/15/17 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have to give Phoenix credit. In the last three drafts, circumstances have allowed them to pick Harrison, Alleyne, and Prince much lower in the order than those players' talent deserved. Rather than look a gift horse in the mouth or overthink it, they simply grabbed the player and ran.

PostPosted: 04/15/17 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Staley + Swoopes B+ : for the dancing. Shake it , shake it , shake it like a hall-of-fame player, hey-ya.

I wonder about Coates being valued at an injured Catchings level. And in general the SCar 3+Wilson being valued just behind last years UConn 3+KML and the Bird year UConn draft. I'm not saying it isn't possible, or that they can't, but it sure as heck isn't proven. Not to put any pressure on them, I'm sure they'll do fine. The scouts like them and are getting paid, while I'm not.

Indy gets a A for Aunt, a B for Baby, and a C for childcare. Smile

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/15/17 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

5thmantheme wrote:
Staley + Swoopes B+ : for the dancing. Shake it , shake it , shake it like a hall-of-fame player, hey-ya.

I wonder about Coates being valued at an injured Catchings level. And in general the SCar 3+Wilson being valued just behind last years UConn 3+KML and the Bird year UConn draft. I'm not saying it isn't possible, or that they can't, but it sure as heck isn't proven. Not to put any pressure on them, I'm sure they'll do fine. The scouts like them and are getting paid, while I'm not.

Indy gets a A for Aunt, a B for Baby, and a C for childcare. Smile

Coates was valued OVER Catch. The Sting chose Kelly Miller over Catchings at #2. I stopped following the Sting after that and they didn't last long.

~rAf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: