RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Identify players who SHOULD transfer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/10/17 10:03 pm    ::: Identify players who SHOULD transfer Reply Reply with quote

This topic is not to identify players who have announced they are transferring, or even those who are rumored to be transferring.

It is to identify players whom YOU think would be better served in their basketball careers, or in their education, or in their general life preparation if they transferred to a different school.

I have one not particularly well known player in mind, but I'd rather just list some of the factors that I think would relate to identifying players who would be better off transferring. In no particular order:

1. The player is a low minutes bench player who has little likelihood of climbing higher on the depth chart in future seasons even if no one better at her position is being recruited.

2. The coach has already recruited better players at her position from the high school classes of 2017 and/or 2018.

3. The coach is leaving the program.

4. The player has an injury that will likely keep her from playing all or part of next season.

5. The player's team is not likely to advance to any higher level in the NC tournament during the remainder of her career than it already has -- whatever that level is, from just making the round of 64 to being the NC winner.

6. The player has the skills to start or play major minutes at a school with a less competitive program.

7. The player has the brains and grades to transfer to an elite academic institution, a degree from which will be lifetime door-opening credential.

Any candidates?
Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 04/10/17 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll bite.

Faith Suggs at Duke and Kortney Dunbar from Tennessee. Both were highly touted recruits out of high school and known for being great shooters. I think they would flourish under different systems or with better coaches IMO.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/10/17 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes. Katie Lou Samuelson should transfer to Oklahoma. Sherri might certainly provide her with a greatly improved education on manners and ill-advised flopping, in exchange for her fine skills, which could conceivably take the Sooners to the top of the Big 12.

Prolly not gonna happen, though. Razz

PostPosted: 04/11/17 12:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Yes. Katie Lou Samuelson should transfer to Oklahoma. Sherri might certainly provide her with a greatly improved education on manners and ill-advised flopping, in exchange for her fine skills, which could conceivably take the Sooners to the top of the Big 12.

Prolly not gonna happen, though. Razz

Now, Howee, I thought you had retired to do secret things behind a dramatically drawn curtain.

You are forgiven, of course, because you exhibit high standards and impeccable judgment by being outwardly disinterested in the WNBA.

I should add a DISCLAIMER TO THIS THREAD: Any player named in this thread, and their families and friends, should realize this is just a hypothetical exercise in arrogance and ignorance being engaged in by bored pixels during the off season.
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 04/11/17 5:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can see Bent and Irwin transferring. They got hardly no minutes this year. Next year, they are going to be lucky if Geno even puts them in the last minute of a 40 point blow out.

barryi22

PostPosted: 04/13/17 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Ay Mate"]I can see Bent and Irwin transferring. They got hardly no minutes this year. Next year, they are going to be lucky if Geno even puts them in the last minute of a 40 point blow out.[/quote]

I don't see that happening--at least this year. They knew exactly what they signed with Connecticut and that their chances of ever seeing court time were slim to none. With a virtual lock on the championship next year, they'll have a chance to win a title and get another year playing against some of the best players in the country in practice. IMO, by picking UCONN they sacrificed a chance at meaningful playing time to play for Geno and be on a winning team.

Two others that come to mind are:

Kamera Harris-Tennessee...similar situation to Bent/Irwin, but Tennessee just isn't very good right now.

Jordan Hosey-Texas...too far down the depth chart at Texas with so much talent on the roster. She was a top 20 recruit and McDy's AA

Alecia Sutton-Texas...another player who may be too far down the depth chart at PG, especially if she gets beat out by the incoming frosh for the backup role.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/13/17 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Crystal Dangerfield , too many expectations to live up too with the PG history at UCONN. Wink

PostPosted: 04/13/17 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Crystal Dangerfield , too many expectations to live up too with the PG history at UCONN. Wink

I could see Dangerfield leaving as well, if Irvin and Bent leave she would really be the only player in her class, she's from Tennessee I could see Vandy trying to get her to come home. With Coombs coming in and the possibility of 2018 guard Williams ready to commit to the huskies it could mean Dangerfield won't ever be a starter while at Uconn.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/13/17 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

barryi22 wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
I can see Bent and Irwin transferring. They got hardly no minutes this year. Next year, they are going to be lucky if Geno even puts them in the last minute of a 40 point blow out.

I don't see that happening--at least this year. They knew exactly what they signed with Connecticut and that their chances of ever seeing court time were slim to none. With a virtual lock on the championship next year, they'll have a chance to win a title and get another year playing against some of the best players in the country in practice. IMO, by picking UCONN they sacrificed a chance at meaningful playing time to play for Geno and be on a winning team.

Kamera Harris-Tennessee...similar situation to Bent/Irwin, but Tennessee just isn't very good right now.

Jordan Hosey-Texas...too far down the depth chart at Texas with so much talent on the roster. She was a top 20 recruit and McDy's AA

Alecia Sutton-Texas...another player who may be too far down the depth chart at PG, especially if she gets beat out by the incoming frosh for the backup role.

Kamera Harris? Hell no. She's a post player, something UT doesn't have enough of. She's in training. Post players may not be very good until their junior year. Duh. She'll play.

PostPosted: 04/13/17 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
barryi22 wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

Kamera Harris? Hell no. She's a post player, something UT doesn't have enough of. She's in training. Post players may not be very good until their junior year. Duh. She'll play.

Play in front of whom ? Kushy ? Russell ? Greene ? Nared ? Im not seeing it happen for harris Embarassed

PostPosted: 04/13/17 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
barryi22 wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

Play in front of whom ? Kushy ? Russell ? Greene ? Nared ? Im not seeing it happen for harris Embarassed

Have to agree with you on this. It may take longer for posts to progress, but she was not an Eire recruit out of high school and she doesn't not seem that athletic. The recruits that Tennessee has coming in will keep Harris in the bench IMO.

linkster

PostPosted: 04/13/17 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As far as Bent, she is reported to be academically gifted and assuming that she entered UConn with as much as a year of advanced placement credits she could earn a degree in 3 years, transfer to some elite level school and earn a masters in her 2 years there.

But in the case of both she and Irwin, they have parents who coach, and in Irwin's case, both parents. If they have goals of coaching then four years at UConn would be IMO the elite program for that training.

And I wouldn't be so quick to put the incoming freshman class in front of them on the depth chart. Especially in the case of Irwin, who missed a lot of court time last summer and autumn with an injured finger but who showed a nice outside shot along with an ability to mix it up inside. I wouldn't be surprised if she got more minutes than Butler next year. While Bent looked like a shrinking violet, Irwin, while very green played aggressively.

Frankly, Butler could transfer without having to sit a year and could help a lot of top 25 teams.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 04/13/17 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bingo.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/13/17 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
If they have goals of coaching then four years at UConn would be IMO the elite program for that training.

Really? I don't actually see a lot of evidence for that. Maybe you can provide some.

linkster

PostPosted: 04/13/17 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:
If they have goals of coaching then four years at UConn would be IMO the elite program for that training.

Really? I don't actually see a lot of evidence for that. Maybe you can provide some.

I guess I'd say it's the equivalent of attending a school to study under a Nobel Prize winning professor.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/13/17 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slocum to Texas...

We will treat you well...

Like Barbecue and Mexican food?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/13/17 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
barryi22 wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

She's a sophomore. Nared and Russell are both seniors next year. She'll likely come off the bench. Kushkituah is only a freshman with lots to learn too. Greene is a RS junior and Holly recently said that she is only now moving into real workouts after her surgery. She may not be ready until well into the season.

PostPosted: 04/13/17 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:

I guess I'd say it's the equivalent of attending a school to study under a Nobel Prize winning professor.

Then WCBB should be swimming in UConn alum coaches. Should be easy for you to name 20 or 30.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 04/13/17 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

I thought this as well..and you could tell by her expressions and body language toward the end that she doesn't appear to be happy. Nurse could be the point next year with all the talent that the Huskies will have and Dangerfield will either have to accept a role or fight for that point guard spot.

linkster

PostPosted: 04/13/17 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:

Then WCBB should be swimming in UConn alum coaches. Should be easy for you to name 20 or 30.

Why? That might be expected if players went to UConn to become coaches but I never suggested that. I was speculating about one specific player, nothing more. I can't think of a better program from which to learn about the building of a successful program.

awhom111

PostPosted: 04/13/17 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone else find this thread in mildly poor taste?
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/14/17 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's a robust debate between Clay Kallam and Bob Corwin, two of the most prolific FBB writers and evaluators over the last few decades, on various issues and problems with college transfers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA9kV08EcWE
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/14/17 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Does anyone else find this thread in mildly poor taste?

*Raises hand.

PostPosted: 04/14/17 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe it's in poor taste, but I don't really find it so much so. We talk about everything else, so what's the big deal about this?

Anyway I thought all year about the young Oregon posts. Campisano was ranked #14 coming in and she hardly got off the bench. Since she's clearly (at this time anyway) behind McGwire and Hebard, both also Freshman, it might make sense for her. Also perhaps Yearwood, who was a Soph - she's Canadian so it might make sense to go someplace that needs a post, like UW. I mean that team has six big young posts. If you're at the end of the totem pole, why not make a move?

- Amanda Gorman
awhom111

PostPosted: 04/14/17 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Maybe it's in poor taste, but I don't really find it so much so. We talk about everything else, so what's the big deal about this?

Anyway I thought all year about the young Oregon posts. Campisano was ranked #14 coming in and she hardly got off the bench. Since she's clearly (at this time anyway) behind McGwire and Hebard, both also Freshman, it might make sense for her. Also perhaps Yearwood, who was a Soph - she's Canadian so it might make sense to go someplace that needs a post, like UW. I mean that team has six big young posts. If you're at the end of the totem pole, why not make a move?

It just reminds me a little too much of men's basketball and football boards where fans want players to transfer or take medical hardships to free up scholarships. Fewer teams in women's basketball run up against the scholarship limit, but it still feels like dressing up something in the program's best interest by saying it's in the player's best interest. Also, suggesting that players on teams other than our own transfer seems to be a step above simply rooting against a rival on the court.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: