RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

FINAL FOUR 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/10/17 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So most of you don't think Duke will be a factor next year?

- Amanda Gorman
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/10/17 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

I think next season duke will be the new tennessee . A team with the capability to make a serious run but most likely bow out early in the NCAA's never reaching there potential under JPM

PostPosted: 04/10/17 11:07 pm    ::: Re: FINAL FOUR 2018 Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Baylor's guard problem is getting even worse next year.

Don't see that.....Wallace, Landrum, and Chou returning, with Richards and Morris coming in (both 5* recruits). Not Odyssey/Nia material (yet), but not shabby, either. Not counting her last game, Wallace has been really impressive.

I do believe Baylor and TX will be fighting alone for #1 in the conference, with the edge to TX this coming season. As I look at it all again, Baylor is less probable of a FF contender than i'd want to believe. But certainly not IMprobable. Wink

PostPosted: 04/11/17 8:40 am    ::: Re: FINAL FOUR 2018 Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Baylor's guard problem is getting even worse next year.

Don't see that.....Wallace, Landrum, and Chou returning, with Richards and Morris coming in (both 5* recruits). Not Odyssey/Nia material (yet), but not shabby, either. Not counting her last game, Wallace has been really impressive.

I do believe Baylor and TX will be fighting alone for #1 in the conference, with the edge to TX this coming season. As I look at it all again, Baylor is less probable of a FF contender than i'd want to believe. But certainly not IMprobable. Wink

If the Texas team that beat Baylor shows up next year in every game, watch out. They have really good guards and the post player with the most upside and raw talent(IMO) in Joyner Holmes. I don't trust Aston's coaching too much, but the pieces are certainly there.

As for Baylor, I tend to agree with Art in the guard situation. They will be depending on guards who aren't PG...and freshmen. I don't think that Baylor runs the sorts of offense that doesn't need a traditional PG.

For me, potential FF teams are:

Baylor
Louisville
Mississippi State
Notre Dame
Oregon
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas
UCLA
UCONN

These are my pre-season top 10 teams.

Outside looking in: Ohio State, Duke

RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/12/17 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1. UConn
2. Notre Dame
3. Baylor

4.Tennessee (Without Warlick)
4.Texas (With Warlick)

SDHoops

PostPosted: 04/12/17 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn First Five
UConn Second Five
Texas
Tennessee
Duke.

Oh wait this is 2018 not 2003. In that case...UConn, Texas, Tennessee, and whoever is hot

rykhala

PostPosted: 04/12/17 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UCONN
Baylor
Oregon
Notre Dame

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 04/12/17 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
UConn First Five
UConn Second Five
Texas
Tennessee
Duke.

Oh wait this is 2018 not 2003. In that case...UConn, Texas, Tennessee, and whoever is hot

You do know that in the 2002-2003 and 2003-2004 seasons, UConn was basically Diana Taurasi and 4 support players? Their depth was basically non-existent on their starting roster, never mind their next 5.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/12/17 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
SDHoops wrote:
UConn First Five
UConn Second Five
Texas
Tennessee
Duke.

You do know that in the 2002-2003 and 2003-2004 seasons, UConn was basically Diana Taurasi and 4 support players? Their depth was basically non-existent on their starting roster, never mind their next 5.

Diana would probably thank BT Express , Ann Strother & Jessica Moore instead of calling them support players . Without the play of all 4 in unison they would not have won those titles . Only supporting player i can honestly remember was Maria conlon and Wilnet

PostPosted: 04/12/17 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
SDHoops wrote:
UConn First Five
UConn Second Five
Texas
Tennessee
Duke.

I didn't mean UConn's second five from that year, I meant for next year hence the three other teams.

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/12/17 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
UConn First Five
UConn Second Five
Texas
Tennessee
Duke.

I'm a UCONN fan...but hush it! This very type of post is why people hate us. And it's also ridiculous.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/13/17 12:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Counting on a frosh center who's not a giant (6-4 is not 6-Cool is not usually a winning strategy. Not having the returning PG is not a winning strategy. Counting on a coach who can't adapt in live time is not a winning strategy.

People need to look more at the early exit from the tournament than early season win over the eventual National Champs.

~rAf
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/13/17 8:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:

People need to look more at the early exit from the tournament than early season win over the eventual National Champs.

I know it's inconvenient to your preferred narrative and that you prefer to minimize what they accomplished, but it's not just one game or only early season. In addition to beating South Carolina, they also beat Louisville, Kentucky, Syracuse twice, Miami twice. Two of those wins were in the ACC tournament where they made the finals, so they played well throughout the entire season. They had a good year.

They're unlikely for the final four in 2018, but no less likely than some of the other names being tossed around here.

acsuc99

PostPosted: 04/14/17 3:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Things ACSUC99 is confused by above:

- Why is it questionable listing South Carolina in the top 4? You could surround Wilson with 4 water girls and they'd still be a threat.

- If it is questionable to list SC why are the people doing the questioning listing Baylor and ND? They did not go as far as SC. Baylor loses 3 starters, are they really BETTER than the last 2 Baylor teams that failed to make it? ND loses Allen and ACL surgery in April is gonna mean Turner will spend the whole season (if she plays) trying to regain her form. I think Baylor and ND are top 10 teams but Wilson makes SC more formidable right now than both.

Based on talent:

1. UConn
2. South Carolina
3. Mississippi State
4. Tennessee- can Holly be trusted not to mess it up?

Next in line:

5. Texas- something scares me about their coach, could be another Goestenkors or worse...Holly.
6. Baylor
7. Notre Dame (assuming Turner may redshirt/be less than 100%), if she's fine than move 'em up.
8. UCLA
9. Oregon
10. Duke
11. Louisville
12. Ohio State
13. Stanford (why the high rankings, McCall/Samuelson are gone and they were like 2 of the 4 players who they had who could score)

Anyone else note worthy outside of these 13 teams that we should keep an eye on? I think it's pretty much a conclusion that Maryland, Florida State, Washington, Oregon State, Syracuse, and Kentucky will take a step back.

How are some of the usual suspects in the 15-25 range looking for next year? West Virginia, DePaul, Oklahoma, Miami, Cal, Arizona St., South Florida, Purdue, etc?

Last edited by acsuc99 on 04/14/17 4:15 am; edited 9 times in total
acsuc99

PostPosted: 04/14/17 3:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
ClayK wrote:
So Ohio State will be more motivated than other teams to get to the Final Four?

More motivated than UConn? More motivated than Baylor? More motivated than Tennessee?

I don't really think you can add much motivation to what the top teams already bring to the table. That's like saying one team "wants it more" -- it basically reduces to meaninglessness.

Everyone is motivated, and the top programs are top programs in great part because of that motivation. It's like saying the cherry on the top is the difference between the calorie count in one sundae as opposed to one without. It's just not going to make a difference ...

Oh get over yourself. The McDonald's AA game was boring because all of your picks didn't make it so wah! Always nitpicking my posts...but George Mason made the Final Four when the Regionals were in their home-metro and SDSU women almost made their own regional when it was in their home-metro. Come on Clay, get off your high horse! There's no denying having games on your home court are an advantage let alone a chance to play for a national championship in the college's hometown.

Ohio State can be as motivated as they want. If McGruff isn't motivated to coach his players up defensively it won't mean squat.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/14/17 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:

- Why is it questionable listing South Carolina in the top 4? You could surround Wilson with 4 water girls and they'd still be a threat.

- If it is questionable to list SC why are the people doing the questioning listing Baylor and ND? They did not go as far as SC. Baylor loses 3 starters, are they really BETTER than the last 2 Baylor teams that failed to make it? ND loses Allen and ACL surgery in April is gonna mean Turner will spend the whole season (if she plays) trying to regain her form. I think Baylor and ND are top 10 teams but Wilson makes SC more formidable right now than both.

A few things Artbest23 is confused about.

Tennessee is basically the same team next year with the same coach and a passel of unproven freshmen. I am at a loss as to why so many people seem to think that makes them a final four team.

Baylor has terrific size and quality up front, but has had some struggles because of problems at guard. I see that problem getting worse, not better, next year.

I like Wilson. Indeed, she's my early pick for POY and #1 draft choice. But I don't buy the "you could surround her with four water girls" stuff. SC won because several fortunate events (over which they had no control) happened for them in the tournament, and because of the contributions of two one-year mercenaries. The mercs are gone and it's unlikely things will fall into place like that again in the tournament. I don't see them as a lock at all.

Oregon got hot for a couple of games against a couple of teams that had big question marks all year and suddenly they're a final four team? This is the same team that had a losing record in conference and lost to Colorado and Cal just a couple weeks before. Not buying the hype.

ND's prospects are likely wrapped up in Turner's health, but Ogunbowale, Young, Mabrey and Westbeld are a pretty good foundation. But if Turner doesn't play or isn't effective because of her knee, I don't think you can predict them as a FF team.

Louisville, UCLA, Texas, Ohio St all look to me to be pretty much the same teams as this year. Not clear why we should expect the results to be markedly different.

Looks to me like a lot of top teams (including Notre Dame) are going to be heavily reliant on freshmen. Which means to me their prospects are uncertain.

UConn not being in the final four would be an upset of epic proportions. Miss St is basically intact and has a good shot, but certainly isn't a dominant inevitable force. Beyond that it looks pretty wide open to me.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/14/17 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:

Tennessee is basically the same team next year with the same coach and a passel of unproven freshmen. I am at a loss as to why so many people seem to think that makes them a final four team.

Baylor has terrific size and quality up front, but has had some struggles because of problems at guard. I see that problem getting worse, not better, next year.

I like Wilson. Indeed, she's my early pick for POY and #1 draft choice. But I don't buy the "you could surround her with four water girls" stuff. SC won because several fortunate events (over which they had no control) happened for them in the tournament, and because of the contributions of two one-year mercenaries. The mercs are gone and it's unlikely things will fall into place like that again in the tournament. I don't see them as a lock at all.

Oregon got hot for a couple of games against a couple of teams that had big question marks all year and suddenly they're a final four team? This is the same team that had a losing record in conference and lost to Colorado and Cal just a couple weeks before. Not buying the hype.

ND's prospects are likely wrapped up in Turner's health, but Ogunbowale, Young, Mabrey and Westbeld are a pretty good foundation. But if Turner doesn't play or isn't effective because of her knee, I don't think you can predict them as a FF team.

Louisville, UCLA, Texas, Ohio St all look to me to be pretty much the same teams as this year. Not clear why we should expect the results to be markedly different.

Looks to me like a lot of top teams (including Notre Dame) are going to be heavily reliant on freshmen. Which means to me their prospects are uncertain.

UConn not being in the final four would be an upset of epic proportions. Miss St is basically intact and has a good shot, but certainly isn't a dominant inevitable force. Beyond that it looks pretty wide open to me.

so all critics of every top team except UCONN Art ? Really ? Them not making a Final 4 wouldnt be so unbelievable

PostPosted: 04/14/17 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:

so all critics of every top team except UCONN Art ? Really ? Them not making a Final 4 wouldnt be so unbelievable

Why is that unreasonable? UConn lost Chong - meaningless. Everyone else is back plus they add height and depth. Miss St is pretty intact. Everyone else either has significant losses and/or continues the same question marks that plagued them this year.

Why not try providing commentary on where you disagree with what I wrote rather than nothing but mindless snark?

Howee

PostPosted: 04/14/17 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
5. Texas- something scares me about their coach, could be another Goestenkors or worse...Holly.

Ummm.....you really haven't *followed* TX, have you? Laughing Aston is someone who has made gargantuan strides at TX, including a terrific recruiting class coming in. She is highly regarded in the Big 12, and has many successes to her credit. To 'be another Goestenkoers' wouldn't be so bad, either, if we're talking about Coach G in her Duke Dayz.....she was phenomenal there, just couldn't bring it with her to TX.

ArtBest23 wrote:

No need to *buy*....it'll be free for you next season. They're bringing in a 6'4" wing/guard from Germany, who--Graves claims--could be a POY contender as a hs senior, had she played in America. She's already been playing international ball, and even in a professional league. Added to a phenomenal core....Yeah, "anything" seems quite possible .

PostPosted: 04/14/17 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:

Why is that unreasonable? UConn lost Chong - meaningless. Everyone else is back plus they add height and depth. Miss St is pretty intact. Everyone else either has significant losses and/or continues the same question marks that plagued them this year.

Why not try providing commentary on where you disagree with what I wrote rather than nothing but mindless snark?

Tennessee did not really lose that much , Jordan Reynolds & Nunn were great for us but they have been replaced X'2 so this team should be a challenge . Holly on the other hand can deny their greatness which is the difference . the talent on the team is way better than i can remember for this upcoming season but the game has to back it up and thats what im scared of . UCONN was not superb with there talent this year neither , they got by a lot due to other teams just not having enough offense . Next year that will change , UCONN losing before the final 4 can happen . Just the way They lost to Miss st in the Final 4 in which no one thought would ever be possible . Maybe Oregon shows up in the elite 8 and plays revenge spoiler like the bulldogs did ?

PostPosted: 04/14/17 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Tennessee did not really lose that much , Jordan Reynolds & Nunn were great for us but they have been replaced X'2 so this team should be a challenge . Holly on the other hand can deny their greatness which is the difference . the talent on the team is way better than i can remember for this upcoming season but the game has to back it up and thats what im scared of . Maybe Oregon shows up in the elite 8 and plays revenge spoiler like the bulldogs did ?

Actually I thought Art nailed it. Other than UConn and Miss St, the rest of those most likely to make the FF have too many question marks.

I think Tenn has a great shot if the team matures. There has been way too much "good game-bad game" going on in Knoxville for the last few years. To make the FF a team needs to beat 3 good to great teams in a row and Tenn simply hasn't shown the ability to pull that off. Next year Holly will at least have some talent on the bench, albeit inexperienced talent. Maybe the starters will play with consistent urgency knowing that there are others that can replace them. But relying on untested freshmen and a pg coming off injury puts a big question mark next to the LV's. But a great shot?

As for:
"UCONN ... got by a lot due to other teams just not having enough offense . Next year that will change , UCONN losing before the final 4 can happen . Just the way They lost to Miss st in the Final 4 in which no one thought would ever be possible",

I'll agree that UConn can lose before the FF but what I can't understand is where all the improved offense will come from? Last season UConn beat the top 3 offenses in the country other than themselves and 6 of the top 12. Most of those wins were convincing. And they did it as much with defense as offense. Miss St didn't beat UConn with offense, it was their defense that won it. What teams do you see improving their offense to the extent that they will use it to beat UConn?

Give me your opinion of the chances of each of these teams to make the FF:

UConn - xx%

Tenn - xx%

And you should take off the orange-tinted glasses first. Wink

acsuc99

PostPosted: 04/14/17 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:

I agree with you there are many question marks on Tennessee. They are the mystery of all mysteries. How else to explain how a team can blow out runner Up Mississippi State, win at national champ South Carolina, beat Final 4 Stanford, and beat top seed Notre Dame and than lose to some terrible teams?

Of course if their coach could ever do her job and get them to play with consistency and the team that won those 5 games shows up every game they really do have a claim to have as much talent next year as anyone not named UConn.

I agree with pretty much everything else you said. Lots of question marks and who puts in the work in the off season to lessen the ? marks will tell the tale.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/14/17 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They all have question marks. Even UConn and Miss. St. Those questions will be settled by Final Four time Laughing

PostPosted: 04/14/17 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

I know it's inconvenient to your preferred narrative and that you prefer to minimize what they accomplished, but it's not just one game or only early season. In addition to beating South Carolina, they also beat Louisville, Kentucky, Syracuse twice, Miami twice. Two of those wins were in the ACC tournament where they made the finals, so they played well throughout the entire season. They had a good year.

They're unlikely for the final four in 2018, but no less likely than some of the other names being tossed around here.

If you paid ANY attention at all, you'd notice Duke is losing the entire frontcourt. Duke will have one frontcourt player returning plus Ducky Odom, who's basically a wing playing PF. Now, the highest ranked incoming player is a McD AA and is 6-4.

In addition to the losses in the backcourt, the PG who started all season is lost to injury. Lexie Brown earned her AA status at SG and benefitted from a pass first PG.

These are the reasons a person should make more of how the team finished than how they played this past season.

I fully realize that all fans of other ACC schools want JPM to stay coaching at Duke so they will not be contending for anything. The ACC tournament should be re-named the Notre Dame coronation tourney while JPM is at Duke. It's really not necessary to over-state the importance of a team over achieving in one year out of a coach's 10 year career, after GREATLY underachieving while boasting several top 3 classes of players.

~rAf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: