RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

San Antonio Stars 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 04/08/17 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angus24 wrote:
Seems like SAS has signed a lot of players to Training Camp contracts. Is there any limit on how many a team can sign?

No, but you can only have 15 players in camp at the same time.
For SAN, with a new coach and not many vets (Currie?), you would think you'd want most of your players not missing any camp time.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 04/11/17 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stars to Host Watch Party for 2017 WNBA Draft

http://stars.wnba.com/news/stars-host-watch-party-2017-wnba-draft/

Quote:
Stars forward Dearica Hamby, Spurs analyst and former player Matt Bonner and Stars broadcaster Andrew Monaco will tip off the event with analysis of this year’s draft class before the Stars pick No. 1 at 6 p.m. The Stars also hold the Nos. 5 and 25 overall picks in this season’s draft.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/11/17 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Stars to Host Watch Party for 2017 WNBA Draft

http://stars.wnba.com/news/stars-host-watch-party-2017-wnba-draft/

Quote:
Stars forward Dearica Hamby, Spurs analyst and former player Matt Bonner and Stars broadcaster Andrew Monaco will tip off the event with analysis of this year’s draft class before the Stars pick No. 1 at 6 p.m. The Stars also hold the Nos. 5 and 25 overall picks in this season’s draft.

Hopefully Dearica gets to see her replacement since she is one of the weak links on the team...

- Amanda Gorman
TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 04/11/17 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hamby is probably safer than over half of the team. Though, with that roster that isn't saying much.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/12/17 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Hamby is probably safer than over half of the team. Though, with that roster that isn't saying much.

+1

PostPosted: 04/13/17 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think SAS's roster is a lot better than a lot of people think. If they take Plum you couldn't ask for a much better back court. The big question mark is at the 4 but if one of the many new post players turns out to be a scorer and rebounder I think SAS will be a playoff team.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/13/17 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angus24 wrote:
I think SAS's roster is a lot better than a lot of people think. If they take Plum you couldn't ask for a much better back court. The big question mark is at the 4 but if one of the many new post players turns out to be a scorer and rebounder I think SAS will be a playoff team.

If they put McBride at SF, that's a pretty small 1-3.... smallest in the league? Rivaling NYL if they start Zellous at SF?

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/14/17 2:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SA

Can a #1 pick come off the bench?

Jefferson/Plum
McBride/
Currie/Coffey
Harrison/Dos Santos
Alexander/De Souza

3 spots left for
Hodges, Gwathmey, Montgomery, Colson (who hasn't signed yet) Peters, Hamby, Bulgak or Baugh

SA should definitely be watching the waiver wire. NY will be releasing a decent guard or two Schimmel, Alston, Allen or Barbee could probably make and help this team.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 04/14/17 5:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
SA

Jefferson/Plum
McBride/
Currie/Coffey
Harrison/Dos Santos
Alexander/De Souza

3 spots left for
Hodges, Gwathmey, Montgomery, Colson (who hasn't signed yet) Peters, Hamby, Bulgak or Baugh

SA should definitely be watching the waiver wire. NY will be releasing a decent guard or two Schimmel, Alston, Allen or Barbee could probably make and help this team.

I would just start Jefferson, Plum and McBride together. Its not like they are going to make the playoffs anyway. In the past they played Drob Hammon and Perkins line-up aswell

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Angus24

PostPosted: 04/14/17 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe SAS took Nunn as fist pick in the third round. Anybody know anything about her? What position does she play?

Angus24

PostPosted: 04/14/17 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice write-up on SAS board about each of the players they drafted. Riley or the coaches must have been doing their homework to come up with Nunn. She is 6'-3" and might be just what SAS needs at the 4 in the future if not this year. I would assume Riley has some special insights when it comes to evaluating Bigs and she has signed enough of them to hopefully find some that will really work this year. Plum's comments sound like she is very happy to go with SAS and that is a big plus. From Riley's and VJ's comments about Plum I seriously doubt they have any intention of trading her so am happy to hear their plans for. Plum may be kind of a second coming of VJ, left handed and excellent passer and shooter. I think by the end of the season SAS will be looking at a whole bunch of other teams in their rear view mirror.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/14/17 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angus24 wrote:
I believe SAS took Nunn as fist pick in the third round. Anybody know anything about her? What position does she play?

Nunn is a big. She played at Tenn. after transferring from Winthrop. At Winthrop she was a major force. At Tenn. she was behind Russell and barely got on the floor.

- Amanda Gorman
sigur3

PostPosted: 04/14/17 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
SA

Jefferson/Plum
McBride/
Currie/Coffey
Harrison/Dos Santos
Alexander/De Souza

3 spots left for

That's actually a really intriguing roster IF you cut out the dead weight like Currie and de Souza and Montgomery. This year might be painful but next year this is going to be a fun team.

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 04/14/17 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angus24 wrote:
Plum's comments sound like she is very happy to go with SAS and that is a big plus.

Plum is a great teammate and a fan favorite. It won't take long for the Stars and their fans to find out for themselves.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/14/17 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where IS Danielle Robinson??

PostPosted: 04/14/17 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Still in Turkey. She played 37 minutes for Mersin yesterday.

http://www.eurobasket.com/boxScores/Turkey/2017/0413_15633_7715.asp

PostPosted: 04/14/17 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lots of stuff on the SAS board about Plum but she is not on the roster with the other draft picks. Hope this doesn't mean that Riley has lost her mind and has some crazy trade in the works.

hangtyme24

PostPosted: 04/14/17 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

She'll be playing in Phoenix when she returns to the States this season

PostPosted: 04/14/17 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Still in Turkey. She played 37 minutes for Mersin yesterday.

hangtyme24 wrote:
Howee wrote:

She'll be playing in Phoenix when she returns to the States this season

Thanks, and thanks. I was most concerned with her SA relationship. I didn't realize she'd been traded (?). I always wanted to see her and MoJeff operating together. Oh, well.

PostPosted: 04/17/17 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Briana Day signed to a training camp contract

Angus24

PostPosted: 04/18/17 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Day has impressive stats but got little or no publicity before the draft it would seem. She is on the SAS roster today but still no Plum. Is there some reason for Plum not being on the roster? Is it because Riley is still listening to trade offers?

pilight

PostPosted: 04/18/17 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angus24 wrote:
Day has impressive stats but got little or no publicity before the draft it would seem. She is on the SAS roster today but still no Plum. Is there some reason for Plum not being on the roster? Is it because Riley is still listening to trade offers?

Plum hasn't actually signed her contract yet

PostPosted: 04/18/17 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Angus24 wrote:

Plum hasn't actually signed her contract yet

That shouldn't keep a player from being listed on a roster

Shades

PostPosted: 04/18/17 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA draft pick Nia Coffey (and her puppy) ready to run with the big dogs

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/ct-draft-pick-nia-coffey-20170414-story.html

Quote:
highest selection of any Northwestern basketball player, male or female, in school history.

Quote:
"One of my first few games to coach in we came in the locker room after the game. She was literally laying in front of her chair -- she just played so hard," Sides said. "When I tell players all the time I want to tear them off the floor -- I want them to play that hard -- she represents that."

Quote:
Sides believes the Stars staff will play her at power forward, like Northwestern did, and develop her into a stretch four. "Her shot is OK," Sides said. "Her defense is going to get better when she guards players on the perimeter. I think you'll see her move out on the perimeter -- not now but in the years to come."

Coffey's on the same page: "I was put in a very interesting role. I have the ability to do everything. So, I had a taste of being on the wing, being on the block, guarding wings, guarding post players -- I was able to feel every position out because I had the freedom to do so."

Angus24

PostPosted: 04/18/17 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plum is now on the SAS roster so that is good news. I can't believe they would trade her. Nice story about Coffey. If she can play the 5 anything like Young did SAS will be a whole new team. VJ and her staff have a ton of post players to sort out before the season starts. The back court should be a lot easier to figure out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 6 of 17

Jump to: