RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Minnesota Lynx 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 03/02/17 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fowles wins a championship in China. Now she has a nice chunk of time to rest up.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
lynxmania

PostPosted: 03/14/17 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lynx Offseason Podcast With Cheryl Reeve

Quote:
In this episode, John Focke talks to Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve about new assistant coach James Wade, what Jim Petersen meant to the team, WNBA free agency and more.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/28/17 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA Overseas Report: March 28

http://www.wnba.com/news/wnba-overseas-report-march-28/

Quote:
Sylvia Fowles, Minnesota Lynx

For the second straight year, Fowles guided Beijing Great Wall to the championship in China’s WCBA. In a league full of other WNBA stars, Fowles helped Beijing go undefeated during the playoffs, including a three-game sweep of Glory Johnson’s Xinjiang squad in the semifinals. After averaging 21.7 points and 11.5 rebounds per game in the regular season, Fowles produced an even more impressive 29 points and 11.7 boards per contest in the championship series. She was named to the All-WCBA First Team alongside Johnson and Breanna Stewart.

stever

PostPosted: 04/05/17 1:04 pm    ::: Star Tribune Press Pass: Minnesota Lynx Season Preview Reply Reply with quote

http://www.startribune.com/star-tribune-press-pass-minnesota-lynx-season-preview/418358773/#-/web/topics/268490733-1491415292257-trackingCode-AE0nAIwJZ/89PrJZ6TG4dkzs+/AfpS0xpWHAOxwC6Ds=-articleId-397279473-vv-baad5b95-71ed-40fe-a047-bcd075f79304

Quote:
What: Star Tribune Press Pass: Minnesota Lynx Season Preview

When: Wednesday, April 26

Time: 5:15 p.m. (doors open); 6 p.m., Panel begins

Location: Cambria on 7th Gallery (625 2nd Ave S #101, Minneapolis, MN 55402)

Tickets: $10 (includes free appetizers and cash bar)

Shades

PostPosted: 04/13/17 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looking fairly easy for the Lynx

Whalen/Montgomery
Augustus/Perkins
Moore
Brunson/Howard/Pierson
Fowles

AJones - Maybe gets a trial period before deciding what to do with Cruz... or do they have to cut Cruz?
Fagbenle - Could use a 5th post but....
Hampton - Having a great off-season. Shooting 50% from three. What am I bid?

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/13/17 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very pleased for Tupaea to have WNBA draftee on her resume.
When you're the last pick in an awful draft, there's really no expectation of ending up on a roster, but as far as diamond in the rough picks go, I have to say it's a savvy pick by the Lynx.
Tahlia has been around aussie national teams for quite a while, so I forget how young she still is. Her WNBL impact has also been limited by some injuries. She's a natural basketball talent in a non-traditional basketball physique. I've always thought of her as a combo guard, but since Leilani Mitchell landed in Sydney this season and played pretty much 40mpg she played the SG role this season. In terms of comparisons, maybe Shoni-lite is the closest I can come up with, but less Rez-ball, more hustle. I like her, and think she has real potential.

Congrats, Tahlia! Very Happy

---

[ETA]

Sydney University Flames teen Tahlia Tupaea drafted to WNBA club Minnesota Lynx
Quote:
The 19-year-old Penrith product was shocked at how quickly it has happened. She won't be making the move to Minnesota this year with the Lynx wanting her to play through the next WNBL season before heading over in 2018.

Last edited by Luuuc on 04/14/17 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 04/14/17 1:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lynx pick Baylor standout Alexis Jones in first round of WNBA draft

http://www.twincities.com/2017/04/13/lynx-pick-baylor-standout-alexis-jones-in-first-round-of-wnba-draft/

Quote:
“We think we were pretty fortunate at No. 12 to get somebody who guided a team that’s awfully good the last couple seasons. She was a big reason why,” Lynx coach coach Cheryl Reeve said of Jones.

Quote:
“She’s a playmaker, she’s a baller, she’s going to make a basketball play instinctively,” Reeve said. “The three-ball, no question about it, is something this team needs. Every prospect we looked at had that as an attribute.”

Quote:
Jones couldn’t be more excited.

“I was blessed with the opportunity to be picked by a championship-winning team,” she said. “It’s hard for a lot of people to have that opportunity.”

Quote:
With the team tight against the salary cap, Minnesota plans to carry 11 players this season instead of 12. With nine veterans seemingly locked in, it’s possible just two roster spots could be open when training camp begins April 23.

Quote:
Reeve said new assistant coach James Wade coached Berkani in France and sees a player he believes has a future in the league.

Random

Shades

PostPosted: 04/14/17 1:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.startribune.com/lynx-picks-in-2017-wnba-draft/419448804/

LYNX PICKS
Quote:
FIRST ROUND (No. 12 overall)

Alexis Jones, G, Baylor

Height: 5-9 Age: 22

Associated Press honorable mention All-America and first-team all-Big 12 selection as a senior. Averaged 13.2 points, 4.7 rebounds and 4.8 assists past season. That included six games with 20 or more points. She also became the second player in team history to record a triple-double, with 24 points, 12 rebounds and 10 assists vs. Oklahoma.

Quote:
SECOND ROUND (No. 24 overall)

Lisa Berkani, G, France

Height: 5-9 Age: 19

Played on the France U17 team that took eighth place in the World Cup in 2014. Lynx assistant James Wade coached Berkani in the past and recommended her to Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve. This pick and the third-round pick were made with the future in mind.

THIRD ROUND (No. 36 overall)

Tahlia Tupaea, G, Australia

Height: 5-9 Age: 19

Began playing in Australia’s WNBL at 15, the second-youngest rookie in league history. She has played for the Sydney Uni Flames since 2012 and has been a member of the Australian junior program, taking part in U19 World Championships in Lithuania and Russia, winning bronze medals both times.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/14/17 3:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Until they add some training camp contracts or either of their reserved players sign, the Lynx have 11 players for 11 spots. Makes things pretty simple at the moment.

Whalen/Montgomery/Jones
Augustus/Perkins
Moore
Brunson/Pierson/Howard
Fowles/Fagbenle

A guard and two future picks made it a pretty good night for Fagbenle's chances of sticking, but if Keisha Hampton eventualy signs and shows up I wouldn't be too surprised if she sticks and Moore becomes the fifth post. The problem with that is that none of Brunson/Pierson/Howard really want to be at the 5, so Fowles would have no natural backup. Wouldn't be surprised if they found someone with true size off the street to at least compete in camp.

PostPosted: 04/14/17 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Very pleased for Tupaea to have WNBA draftee on her resume.
When you're the last pick in an awful draft, there's really no expectation of ending up on a roster, but as far as diamond in the rough picks go, I have to say it's a savvy pick by the Lynx.
Tahlia has been around aussie national teams for quite a while, so I forget how young she still is. Her WNBL impact has also been limited by some injuries. She's a natural basketball talent in a non-traditional basketball physique. I've always thought of her as a combo guard, but since Leilani Mitchell landed in Sydney this season and played pretty much 40mpg she played the SG role this season. In terms of comparisons, maybe Shoni-lite is the closest I can come up with, but less Rez-ball, more hustle. I like her, and think she has real potential.

Congrats, Tahlia! Very Happy

---

[ETA]

Sydney University Flames teen Tahlia Tupaea drafted to WNBA club Minnesota Lynx
Quote:
The 19-year-old Penrith product was shocked at how quickly it has happened. She won't be making the move to Minnesota this year with the Lynx wanting her to play through the next WNBL season before heading over in 2018.

Thanks for the rundown Luuuc.
How far down the Aussie Nat'l team depth chart would you project her? Will be nice to follow the kid over the next few yrs.

PostPosted: 04/14/17 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Until they add some training camp contracts or either of their reserved players sign, the Lynx have 11 players for 11 spots. Makes things pretty simple at the moment.

Whalen/Montgomery/Jones
Augustus/Perkins
Moore
Brunson/Pierson/Howard
Fowles/Fagbenle

A guard and two future picks made it a pretty good night for Fagbenle's chances of sticking, but if Keisha Hampton eventualy signs and shows up I wouldn't be too surprised if she sticks and Moore becomes the fifth post. The problem with that is that none of Brunson/Pierson/Howard really want to be at the 5, so Fowles would have no natural backup. Wouldn't be surprised if they found someone with true size off the street to at least compete in camp.

Nicely summed up. Lots of options to mix things up a bit. Augustus is still capable of sliding over to play some SF when/if needed. Something still a little off to me, so a trade/move around All-Star break or prior to the trade deadline wouldn't surprise me either.

PostPosted: 04/14/17 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hampton will be in camp, so we will have some sort of decision to be made. Unless some other domino falls.

Interested to see what we come up with for a post rotation, since as we all have mentioned we don't have a back-up for Syl. So I'll be interested to see how Temi does, or anyone else we bring in.

Last edited by lynxmania on 04/14/17 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michelle89

PostPosted: 04/14/17 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Pierson is healthy then i see her getting those minutes backing up Fowles. She will not do worse then Janel guarding centers tbh. Howard will get minutes at PF

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
adamj95

PostPosted: 04/14/17 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MNfan22 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Whalen/Montgomery/Jones
Augustus/Perkins
Moore
Brunson/Pierson/Howard
Fowles/Fagbenle

Nicely summed up. Lots of options to mix things up a bit. Augustus is still capable of sliding over to play some SF when/if needed. Something still a little off to me, so a trade/move around All-Star break or prior to the trade deadline wouldn't surprise me either.

What seems off to you?

MNfan22

PostPosted: 04/14/17 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
MNfan22 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Whalen/Montgomery/Jones
Augustus/Perkins
Moore
Brunson/Pierson/Howard
Fowles/Fagbenle

What seems off to you?

Can't completely put my finger on it, lacking in balance in some way? ...
Bunch of guards, just 2 'real' wings IMO in 'Mone & Maya, a bunch of PFs and one C. Looking forward to the 1 home preseason game to see what Fagbenle can bring to the table for some back up for Syl.

Obviously its the oldest team in the league, a bunch of old folks, some of the best to play the game, who can still ball and don't take a backseat to anybody, so it's all good. We're in 'NOW' mode which is fine with me. I like the squad but a small tweak in the roster just wouldn't surprise me. Cool

PostPosted: 04/14/17 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Lynx have acquired Chantel Osahor from the Sky in exchange for Keisha Hampton.

http://www.hoopfeed.com/content/2017/04/14/chicago-sky-acquire-keisha-hampton-in-exchange-for-2nd-round-draft-pick-chantel-osahor/

lynxmania

PostPosted: 04/14/17 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
The Lynx have acquired Chantel Osahor from the Sky in exchange for Keisha Hampton.

http://www.hoopfeed.com/content/2017/04/14/chicago-sky-acquire-keisha-hampton-in-exchange-for-2nd-round-draft-pick-chantel-osahor/

Well then. Laughing

Shades will be happy

MNfan22

PostPosted: 04/14/17 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Annnnnnd just like that the Lynx & Sky work a trade Laughing Tweak #1 Razz

Happy for Keisha may get a better shot in Chicago and MN gets another post in Osahor to join the mix in camp.

PostPosted: 04/14/17 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So now are looking at:

Whalen/Montgomery/Jones
Augustus/Perkins
Moore
Brunson/Howard/Pierson
Fowles/Fagbenle/Osahor

sigur3

PostPosted: 04/14/17 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

did it really take Stocks until AFTER the draft to realize the Sky need a 3/4??

Shades

PostPosted: 04/14/17 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to undocumented rumor, CON's fresh draft pick Romero isn't joining the WNBA at all this summer because of "national team obligations" (a little surprising to me since she is acclimated to the USA, but maybe she got talked out of coming since space is tight in CON camp). Anyway, that probably means the Lynx can probably just suspend instead of cut Cruz who is in the same national team situation for the summer. That gives Jones the whole season with the Lynx.... good, bad, or injured. Suspending Cruz means they could bring her back next season (Worlds?) if needed. The one Strib article pointed out that Montgomery and Perkins are in their last years of their contracts and Reeve said one them could be tentative to return, so Cruz could take that spot if the Lynx don't find a better option.

Now if the Lynx go 5-post like I wanted (and that's why I wanted to give Osahor a try), I hope they can get something for Hampton considering how well she's doing overseas. A swap of second round picks (probably moving up two spots) with NYL, whose fans are constantly wringing their hands about the SF position? I'd rather not deal with Laimbeer, but NYL is often the destination for ex-Lynx players.

I'm not in love with the idea of Maya being the emergency post in a 4-post system. She's got a big enough burden on her with all she does. That takes too much of a toll on her.

So it basically comes down to

Whalen/Montgomery
Augustus/Perkins/AJones
Moore/(Augustus SF backup)
Brunson/Howard/Pierson
Fowles/Fagbenle

*Cruz suspended

OR

Whalen/Montgomery
Augustus/Perkins/AJones
Moore/Hampton
Brunson/Howard/(Maya post backup)
Fowles/Pierson

*Cruz suspended

I think the second option looks way too thin on the post side, especially when you consider their ages and Reeve already acknowledged last season she has to keep Brunson's minutes down. Last year, the Lynx went with 4-post down the stretch and it bit them when McCarville got back issues and couldn't contribute in the Finals.

Last edited by Shades on 04/14/17 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 04/14/17 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whoa... things were going down while I was making that post.

YES YES YES!

Perfect!

Shades

PostPosted: 04/14/17 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
adamj95 wrote:
Looks ready to take back the title this year! Very Happy

"Ready to win a title" is Maya's default expression

As shown in my avatar.... which may be changing soon. Smile

MNfan22

PostPosted: 04/14/17 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
did it really take Stocks until AFTER the draft to realize the Sky need a 3/4??

Maybe it just took time to really finalize the deal.
Judging from many media there was A LOT for trade talk prior to the draft. Now that picks are settled in, teams have more to play with including next yrs picks to make some deals. There are a bunch of teams that would still seem to need to make some moves, just gotta find the right dancing partner.

PostPosted: 04/14/17 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alexis Jones' triple double against Oklahoma
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5Fc3YKhiBZI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Baylor highlight package of Alexis Jones draft experience
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BD-uKx8vvcc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Alexis Jones interview with Boyette (Jones refers to Reeve as "he". Oops!)
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IQQUetpa8zw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 6 of 16

Jump to: