RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

China views video; United stock finally drops

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/11/17 12:47 pm    ::: China views video; United stock finally drops Reply Reply with quote

It rose initially, apparently, because investors approve of illegally* dragging passengers from their seats in order to maintain flight schedules.

But now that China has viewed it a bajillion times and social media fallout has begun, it has dropped.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/that-united-airlines-video-was-so-bad-even-china-is-peeved-america-is-disappointing/

*Apparently airlines can prevent boarding due to overbooking, but cannot remove for that reason.

PostPosted: 04/11/17 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's significant that this is having an impact. Airline stocks are notoriously resistant to these sorts of things (typically it takes a safety issue to be felt).

Usually investors expect these sorts of issues to blow over quickly, and airline customers tend to book based upon other factors like convince and price, regardless of the outrage they express over these things.

PostPosted: 04/11/17 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good. The whole shit was sickening to watch.

PostPosted: 04/11/17 2:00 pm    ::: Re: China views video; United stock finally drops Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
It rose initially, apparently, because investors approve of illegally* dragging passengers from their seats in order to maintain flight schedules.

But now that China has viewed it a bajillion times and social media fallout has begun, it has dropped.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/that-united-airlines-video-was-so-bad-even-china-is-peeved-america-is-disappointing/

*Apparently airlines can prevent boarding due to overbooking, but cannot remove for that reason.

I'm ASSuming overbooking rules apply here. Cool

Btw, raise your hand if you figured the Dr. was non-white.

PostPosted: 04/11/17 2:10 pm    ::: Re: China views video; United stock finally drops Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

Why? The flight was not overbooked...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr-gridlock/wp/2017/04/11/amid-pr-fiasco-over-dragged-passenger-united-ceo-defends-his-crew

Quote:
United Airlines clarified Tuesday that the flight Sunday from which a man was dragged off, screaming, was not overbooked

PostPosted: 04/11/17 2:28 pm    ::: Re: China views video; United stock finally drops Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Why? The flight was not overbooked...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr-gridlock/wp/2017/04/11/amid-pr-fiasco-over-dragged-passenger-united-ceo-defends-his-crew

Quote:
United Airlines clarified Tuesday that the flight Sunday from which a man was dragged off, screaming, was not overbooked

Because I hadn't researched it. Thanks for the clarification. I guess the guy has no recourse. Thank you, deregulation and the SCOTUS.

PostPosted: 04/11/17 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

and those were not Chicago police as some had previously reported.

regardless of the rules, the takedown of this guy was waaaaaaay overboard. I think he has a case. especially since one of the 'police' was already put on leave.

PostPosted: 04/11/17 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
Good. The whole shit was sickening to watch.

Idea Arrow
    <iframe width="350" height="197" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HV28_ENzFog?start=253" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/12/17 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
and those were not Chicago police as some had previously reported.

Well, if you mean that they weren't members of the Chicago Police Department, that's true. But the city has lots of different police forces, and they were policemen who worked for the City. Technically "aviation security officers" employed by the Chicago Department of Aviation.

I'm not sure how that matters much to the story. Is there a particular significance to whether they worked for the Chicago Zoological Society Police Department, the Metra Police Department, or the Chicago Aviation Police?

sambista

PostPosted: 04/13/17 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

if i were up to it, i'd go on a days-long tear about this horrific example of callousness, greed and, as one pundit said, tone deafness by united airlines. but i'll just say this: watch, if you can, the presser by dr. dao's attorney and family. note that the freakin flight was not overbooked; the man was dragged down the aisle by an overzealous cop, initiated by united, because the airline wanted to get four united employees on that flight so they could report to work the next day. (how freakin unspeakably insane is that?!) note that dao's face wasn't just bloodied; he suffered a concussion and a broken nose, for which he's getting surgery tomorrow. and finally, note that just about everyone assumed dao is chinese (and some wondered if that was a factor, though the atty doesn't think so). in fact, dao is from vietnam, one of many "boat people," and he said that ordeal on the airplane was more horrific than his escape from vietnam. think about that. congress must correct this aberration that allows a company to promise a service, receive payment, then have its way abbrogating its agreement to provide the service, out of sheer, wanton greed.

http://www.yourtango.com/2017301692/13-best-united-airlines-memes-tweets-controversy

PostPosted: 04/13/17 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Air Force One was run the same way United Airlines does... Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 04/13/17 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dao really put up a fight for a 67-year-old man. It was reported that if no one took them up on the free flight offer, United said they were going to use a computer algorithm to determine who would leave. The program probably thought that at 67, Dao was retired. But he was not only still working, his hospital had recommended him for anger management training after repeated incidents. So the computer program was probably lacking all the data it needed.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/27/17 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Settlement reached between Dr. David Dao, United Airlines

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/settlement-reached-between-dr-david-dao-united-airlines/

Quote:
United CEO Oscar Munoz acknowledged he “messed up” with his initial response to the incident

Good that they settled quickly. The last thing United needed was accusations of dragging it out.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: